Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Just returned to this after not playing since the game launched in 2008, and as odd as it is to say I think WaR is one of the few games I've played that has actually been improved by the private server treatment as compared to the official version of the game. Having a blast actually being able to enjoy the game at stable framerates and not having to wait 6 hours in a login que just to get into an empty server.

Now if somebody could get around to leaking that unreleased 40k MMO, that would be great.

e: sniping with a link to a decade old cancelled MMO in a thread about a decade old cancelled MMO, nice

gottagotowork fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Going to start streaming this more so y'all mfers need to get back playing and on voice comms like we were doing in ORvR. For a long dead MMO's small population private server it has some pretty good stream viewer #'s. I know Zarbix has had a following from the beginning/has been streaming for awhile before this thread and population increase and I've seen him have 300+ viewers. I see major FFXIV youtube creators who have hundreds of thousands of views on videos, and stream to like 50 people or less.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FFXIV is a pretty bad streaming game tbh since most its content is quite chill. You really only see high viewership when (a) a well-known streamer is playing through the story (like Jesse Cox right now) or (b) new end game content is out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does ffxiv even have something like a serious PvP scene or competitive world first race for PvE?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Pants Donkey posted:

Does ffxiv even have something like a serious PvP scene or competitive world first race for PvE?

world first for pve raid releases, absolutely. it's got a huge pve raiding scene. the pvp side exists, and there are serious-mode 4v4 arena fights that get a tournament cycle / finals at fanfest yearly. I know people that pvp in it enjoy it, but it's never clicked for me

knox
Oct 28, 2004

There's a 'world first' competitive thing for the Savage diffuculty raids they release every 4 months. Usually within days they figure out the quirky game mechanic or two within it, otherwise it's basically same raids re-skinned and mechanics rotating.
I definitely see why nobody gives a poo poo about watching anyone playing that.

twitch.tv/sfia this guy the best BLM/his 6man was getting the world first's when I started playing FFXIV ~8 months ago for a few weeks, right before RoR.

The head dev Grimnir that everybody hates was in my stream other night. I'm not about to talk poo poo to one of the 4 viewers watching my stream so I was just kind of like "yeah man, telling people the balance team isn't concerned about balance kind of uhh pissed a lot of people off." When I woke up there was 150+ views on the 4 hour recording; he had mentioned a few things about future content like raids/PvE weapons before Sov weapons which are a ways off/etc so people probably were linking it in their discords.

knox fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 17, 2020

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Maybe it's just me but Every time i log on it seems like my running and horse speed get's slower....

:confused:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

iminers posted:

Maybe it's just me but Every time i log on it seems like my running and horse speed get's slower....

:confused:

It's cool they give you a mount right when you start at lvl 1 but it feels like slow-motion and may give you brain damage.

I forget the level requirement for the next mount but it's not too high, I think it's 30.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

knox posted:

I forget the level requirement for the next mount but it's not too high, I think it's 30.

Isn’t the cap 40 lol

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Isn’t the cap 40 lol

I'm looking at the mount I got now since I can't afford the 100g mount being the broke rear end mfer than I am and always have been on this game, and it says Minimum Rank:16. I thought it was low but not that low, right outta Tier 1 is how they got it now. Level 40 is probably the minimum for the fastest mount, that's 60% increase instead of 50% increase the lvl16 is, and the lvl1 mount is 25%.

Changing my brokeboi ways ASAP though, going to get on my solo grind poo poo as melee DoK and farm whatever the gently caress I gotta farm to power level some tradeskills.

edit: oh you were saying isn't the level cap 40. yeah it is, and yeah you're right 30 would be kind of high if that was the next mount level, due to how loving slow the first mount is.

knox fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 18, 2020

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

knox posted:

I'm looking at the mount I got now since I can't afford the 100g mount being the broke rear end mfer than I am and always have been on this game, and it says Minimum Rank:16. I thought it was low but not that low, right outta Tier 1 is how they got it now. Level 40 is probably the minimum for the fastest mount, that's 60% increase instead of 50% increase the lvl16 is, and the lvl1 mount is 25%.

Changing my brokeboi ways ASAP though, going to get on my solo grind poo poo as melee DoK and farm whatever the gently caress I gotta farm to power level some tradeskills.

edit: oh you were saying isn't the level cap 40. yeah it is, and yeah you're right 30 would be kind of high if that was the next mount level, due to how loving slow the first mount is.

First horse you get is free.
Second horse you have to buy is at level 16. 10 gold off the bat but both sides have a small camp somewhere where you can get your 16th level horse for 8 gold.

The last horse if you want to get it, is like you said, 100 gold and gives you a 10% increase in speed?
My mains on both sides have way more than enough to get 100 gold horse, but i kinda dont see what the big deal is.
Yes, it's a little bit faster and looks nicer, but thats it.
Unless i'm missing anything, I'll hold onto my gold for equipment and leveling other alts.

Also: gently caress crafting in this game.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I believe it might be less chance to be knocked off mount with damage as well but I could be mistaken. I don't remember if they are like even more 'specialty' mounts or more grindy to get, or if the 100g mount gets you the less chance to de-mount on damage.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
Is melee dps ever good in large scale RvR? I haven't played in years but I remember it was bright wizard:the game.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

It's not like that anymore though BW does have the best AoE in the game. Mpds is super strong, they just need to be grouped to fully capitalize on that ability like the majority of classes who have highest dps output. Right now Order kind of pumps the ranged dps more/there's more rdps classes on Order playing since White Lions kind of got nerfed, so Fortress numbers are kind of Order dominated at the moment with current class balance.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Gammymajams posted:

Is melee dps ever good in large scale RvR? I haven't played in years but I remember it was bright wizard:the game.

Marauder/Choppa does well in dps. Rdps is hilariously easy to kill once you get close.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The strongest melee DPS in the game right now is still Slayer. All you do is build to get Rampage in Trollslayer and Inevitable Doom in Skavenslayer and you slaughter people, mainly due to how extremely busted Rampage is and further in that, that Slayer is the only class that gets it, Choppa (Slayer's mirror and all) has nothing close to as crazy as Rampage. And for some explanation, Rampage is basically a "All your poo poo is undefendable for the next like 10 seconds" button, which is insane considering how much defensive stats ala block and parry do and are supposed to do in the endgame, that Slayer gets to go "lol no" and is the only one who can do so, while already being a melee monster in the first place.

This isn't even new either, if you do a quick search, there's forums threads from like RoR 2017 still going "So what's up with Rampage, this is kind of crazy and has a 100% presence in all Slayer builds of any type" and welp.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 6, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Some dude in Zarbix' stream yesterday-

Zarbix twitch chat posted:

1:34:16
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:I used to play this from Alpha till the last day
1:34:52
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:< was a Community Mod for the game lol I didnt know their was a private server
1:36:15
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:Thnx to the Something Awful/Goons they destroyed the game they brought in tons of Subs then bounced all at once and the game just tanked

Yardbomb posted:

The strongest melee DPS in the game right now is still Slayer. All you do is build to get Rampage in Trollslayer and Inevitable Doom in Skavenslayer and you slaughter people, mainly due to how extremely busted Rampage is and further in that, that Slayer is the only class that gets it, Choppa (Slayer's mirror and all) has nothing close to as crazy as Rampage. And for some explanation, Rampage is basically a "All your poo poo is undefendable for the next like 10 seconds" button, which is insane considering how much defensive stats ala block and parry do and are supposed to do in the endgame, that Slayer gets to go "lol no" and is the only one who can do so, while already being a melee monster in the first place.

This isn't even new either, if you do a quick search, there's forums threads from like RoR 2017 still going "So what's up with Rampage, this is kind of crazy and has a 100% presence in all Slayer builds of any type" and welp.

Lead dev idiot wargrimnir says "rampage is fine" on forum yesterday, with no other reply or discussion to the thread. :war:

wait he replied "Fear is the mind killer" to someone who wrote a long reply asking for discussion.

knox fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 6, 2020

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

knox posted:

Some dude in Zarbix' stream yesterday-

Lead dev idiot wargrimnir says "rampage is fine" on forum yesterday, with no other reply or discussion to the thread. :war:

Imho Wargrimnir need's to step down.

He overreacts when you question a class/weapon/teleport/typo/Gm decision to just shut the game down for no reason and no warning(Oh hey secrets, ty for that)/etc.

You'll get a week off if he's in a mild mood, an outright ban if your on his shitlist.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 6, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

It was alright when I started playing in March and he was only like the forum mod/appeals/whatever person, and was in the background compared to other people I saw more of. Now he seems to be in charge or something and it hasn't been going in a good direction the last month I've been playing, with DAoC Phoenix population higher at all times now. To me that's sad and a good representation of how management of a private server will diminish population or improve it, based on the decisions made. I haven't seen one long time player of a class think their class changes were good/improved class overall, the last 2 months.

Grimnir was actually in my stream week or two ago, and he doesn't seem like a bad dude overall + dealing with infinite morons I'm sure gets tiring, but people who have authority complex problems that would ban themselves if roles were reversed shouldn't be in charge of private server. Obviously people with these problems seek out positions like 'working for free as a dev to gain said power,' RoR/many other private servers I'm sure have had their issues with weirdo devs in the past.

It's funny watching Zarbix on twitch which Grimnir is always in the chat, and Zarbix basically mocking everything possible :lol: "we need that cinematic balance guys"

knox fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's wild that ability was even in the original game.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't stop the chop is however a hilarious ability that lets you pull squishy dps off walls to get murdered out of Rez range, plus being a ork is cooler than being a Dwarf

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Get To the Choppa? Yeah it got nerfed a bit or something so it doesn't double tick dmg I'm not sure, still a meme ability.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

From own experience as well, yeah Grimnir seems alright enough, but definitely needs a break or something maybe to unwind a little, he's been on the dev team forever and I can only imagine what years of stupids deserving of bans arguments will do to you. But for real someone, maybe more than one person, just cannot let Rampage be touched and it's weird, cause previous "Rampage isn't okay" threads have even come up with some decent ideas that could've at least been tried and then shoved off if they didn't pan out. Plus recently there was that patch that spiced up Chosen and Knight of the Blazing Sun's mastery abilities a bit, Chosen getting that initially pretty broken but fun new bit that made it so when they get hit with a crit it reduces the attackers crit by a steep margin, Order went absolutely apeshit about it and it was changed a day later to the infinitely worse "Now the Chosen has to crit someone and it reduces their crit some" version it now is.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

From own experience as well, yeah Grimnir seems alright enough, but definitely needs a break or something maybe to unwind a little, he's been on the dev team forever and I can only imagine what years of stupids deserving of bans arguments will do to you. But for real someone, maybe more than one person, just cannot let Rampage be touched and it's weird, cause previous "Rampage isn't okay" threads have even come up with some decent ideas that could've at least been tried and then shoved off if they didn't pan out. Plus recently there was that patch that spiced up Chosen and Knight of the Blazing Sun's mastery abilities a bit, Chosen getting that initially pretty broken but fun new bit that made it so when they get hit with a crit it reduces the attackers crit by a steep margin, Order went absolutely apeshit about it and it was changed a day later to the infinitely worse "Now the Chosen has to crit someone and it reduces their crit some" version it now is.

You serious?
I don't read the forums pretty much at all except for a quick glance at patch notes if it involes the classes i play.

1) Dev's Change something
2) Order/Destro cries
3)Dev's mess up said class/mechanic even more..
4)Reroll class that hasn't been butchered or Uninstall and sit quietly at desk.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Chosen's still very good, it's just extremely lame that they got something uniquely powerful to set them apart from Knight of the Blazing Sun (Who's already the better mirror mostly), then got it taken away in like A DAY, meanwhile Rampage has remained untouched and one of the most powerful abilities in the game with nothing comparable to it for years.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Chosen's still very good, it's just extremely lame that they got something uniquely powerful to set them apart from Knight of the Blazing Sun (Who's already the better mirror mostly), then got it taken away in like A DAY, meanwhile Rampage has remained untouched and one of the most powerful abilities in the game with nothing comparable to it for years.

I only play my WH and my Mara.

About a month back (?) they changed our stealth (WE also) so it would last longer.

And i honestly believe that's going to be the LAST time they even look at WH.

I really like my Mara, just for the tools he has.

Also: good to see SH got a little attention, but when i glanced at the notes, the next day they changed a few things and to be honest im not sure where SH sits right now..

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 7, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Watching zarbix yesterday it looks like they have some better survivability but melee SH still seems better. The big issue was the amount of Order RDPS dominating forts, so Destro getting something to help that was the idea. Yet they gave rSH decreased range, real big brain poo poo. Grimnir says they got x ability to clear Engis off wall. :lol:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Buff WH cause im tired of being almost completely useless in a wb.

Oh wait i have more stealth time now so i can be revealed by a shaman a screen away... :(

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

knox posted:

Zarbix twitch chat posted:

1:34:16
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:I used to play this from Alpha till the last day
1:34:52
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:< was a Community Mod for the game lol I didnt know their was a private server
1:36:15
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:Thnx to the Something Awful/Goons they destroyed the game they brought in tons of Subs then bounced all at once and the game just tanked

I was also in from the alphas till the end of the beta, and what I remember was less than a week before launch, there was very little endgame that worked, and a ton of other poo poo was broken. In game chat was full of people thinking that a midnight miracle patch was going to fix everything. IIRC the quests petered out about halfway through the last "tier" of levels, so grinding was the only way to hit 40 (not a big deal since the draw of the game was RVR, but still). The game needed at least another 6 months at the rate they were developing.

Blaming it all on a single forum is a pretty hot-poo poo take, especially if they knew anything about what was going on behind the scenes at Mythic.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 12, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Well, it's completely ridiculous to blame a game failing on "a bunch of people subbed and then unsubbed later" regardless of the source. Mentioning SA specifically means it's just someone with a bone to pick.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Dusting this off after a couple years of absence. Nutcase gms and admins seem to have simmered down a bit so that’s nice. Currently trying to figure out what class I like best. Any goons still playing?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Inkfish posted:

Dusting this off after a couple years of absence. Nutcase gms and admins seem to have simmered down a bit so that’s nice. Currently trying to figure out what class I like best. Any goons still playing?

They've calmed down quite a bit. Seems running a populated server makes more sense to them than a running a deserted server.

I think Knox still runs the Destro guild Goon Squid or something similiar.
I play randomly during the week, and i think a couple goons still log in.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Still handful of us dicking around, ask for an invite in the discord you'll find someone online. EST night when I play has been dead last month or so , I've logged in less lately. Lot of the class changes have been poo poo and devs like Secrets who played the game a lot stopped playing months ago. But they're still making changes to improve game like recently removing State of the Realm showing exact population figures at all times.

Guild 90% Destro but there's still Order guild alive.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

knox posted:

Like recently removing State of the Realm showing exact population figures at all times.

GOOD, that stupid thing was being such a detriment to the game more and more, wuh oh a mild numbers advantage on order according to SoR, alright xrealmers, get ready to switch sides to make it a major advantage because you shitters are too scared to play a closer fight, everyone else, be sure to now not show up when one of you use your SoR remaining on this side and see this so we can just have an even more uncontestable flip.

Crimson_Phoenix
Jul 26, 2005
Been playing for a month a couple months and the experience feels pretty much the same that it did during live. It still feels pretty empty and the PvE content just disappears from 34(ish) to 40. Balance is still rough, but definitely better than live, for sure. That being said, when you have a warband that is in the groove; it feels amazing. The game gives you that feeling of what could have been, whether it was more time & money that was needed or a less ambitious set of development goals.

I've been running a BO as part of Da Freebootaz, so I'll have to roll another destro character and hop in the goon guild.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Crimson_Phoenix posted:

Been playing for a month a couple months and the experience feels pretty much the same that it did during live. It still feels pretty empty and the PvE content just disappears from 34(ish) to 40. Balance is still rough, but definitely better than live, for sure. That being said, when you have a warband that is in the groove; it feels amazing. The game gives you that feeling of what could have been, whether it was more time & money that was needed or a less ambitious set of development goals.

I've been running a BO as part of Da Freebootaz, so I'll have to roll another destro character and hop in the goon guild.

Been playing Sorc since I came back to the game maybe October or early November, and I definitely love warband vs warband roaming fights though they're few and far between when I've been logging on. When the population was up and RvR zones were filled I definitely had a ton of fun with/without goons. Hopefully once new content drops and WoW bullshit dies down inevitably RoR will get some players back. I think what the game needed was a different release date & not be acquired by EA, essentially.
Probably should've rolled a Zealot on Destro since Runepriest is my favorite character though and there's constant shortage of non-DoK healers, but didn't want to play mirror.

What's your BO name?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Crimson_Phoenix posted:

what?

PvE dies at like 9-10 then its all scenarios and wb's. after 40 your pretty much trying to get your rr to 80
or something so you can get a snarky title or those rr55 shoulder pads to show your guildmate etc.
oh yea you can duel now in some egypt themed area thats kinda cool..

Crimson_Phoenix
Jul 26, 2005

iminers posted:

what?

PvE dies at like 9-10 then its all scenarios and wb's. after 40 your pretty much trying to get your rr to 80
or something so you can get a snarky title or those rr55 shoulder pads to show your guildmate etc.
oh yea you can duel now in some egypt themed area thats kinda cool..

Yeah, you can level using only sc and rvr; but there are PvE quests all the way up through the mid 30s that are implemented and work.

BO named Scrift. 40/34, so woefully under geared currently.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

I've tested out a few classes but I'm not sure where I fit in to this game.

How's the faction balance overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Like balance between the mirrors/RvR or population?

Order has had superior ranged dps, which wins forts, for awhile now and the White Lion nerfs made even more Engineers/Bright Wizards/Shadow Warriors. While Destro has Sorc that nobody plays, Magus is very strong right now due to mirror buffs, and they just tweaked ranged SH but I'm not really following what was changed. Still much much more balanced than live.

I'd try the different archetypes and see what you like doing in the game or want to do. Tanks feel like tanks more so than any other game with the movement physics, Guard, etc, the strongest DPS like Choppa/Slayer/BW/Sorc need support to really excel, while other classes like DPS shaman are solo roam kings.