Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hello! Tried this game on a whim because I'm on break from teaching and saw the thread (as well as being a big Warhammer fan who always wanted to try it when it first came out, but never got to).

Made a White Lion of Chrace Maiden and enjoying chopping Dark Elves up with my axe like lumber :black101:

Game is pretty fun for an old MMO! I saw WLs got nerfed though? Are they playable nerfs, or "play something else" nerfs?

Do goons run mostly Destro, or do some of you play Order?

How is Disciple of Kaine? Zealot looks interesting as well

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Hello! Tried this game on a whim because I'm on break from teaching and saw the thread (as well as being a big Warhammer fan who always wanted to try it when it first came out, but never got to).

Made a White Lion of Chrace Maiden and enjoying chopping Dark Elves up with my axe like lumber :black101:

Game is pretty fun for an old MMO! I saw WLs got nerfed though? Are they playable nerfs, or "play something else" nerfs?

Do goons run mostly Destro, or do some of you play Order?

How is Disciple of Kaine? Zealot looks interesting as well

All the classes are viable to a greater or lesser extent, but I think WL is near the bottom of the pile right now. As far as I'm aware, the only thing they bring to a group that other order classes don't do better is a pull. Slayer is probably all around a better order melee, bringing some overpowered seige abilities while putting out better aoe or single target damage - all while not having to manage a pet, which is kinda janky in this game.

That said, outside of getting into well organised pub groups for end-game content, it should work just fine. And all this could easily change in a weekly patch.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Every class is playable, but yeah WhiteLions have gone through a lot of changes on this server and are in a down period right now from what they were in March. DoK is best group healer on Destro, also has a very good dual wield spec & shield spec as well- if you enjoy meleeing and also healing Warrior Priest/DoK are strongest healers. Most of players join the guild on Destro but Order one is still alive as well. Destro always needs healers zealot especially whose best buffer in game I think.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42831

Welp... :confused:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 25, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm no expert on the game or balance changes with full knowledge of each classes spells, and haven't played much last few weeks, but it just seems like more clueless changes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SH and WL has the same pounce range now, yay?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

knox posted:

I'm no expert on the game or balance changes with full knowledge of each classes spells, and haven't played much last few weeks, but it just seems like more clueless changes.

The Admins/Programmers are from the Netherlands. I hear they do things differently over there.
also: Windmills.

ChaseSP posted:

SH and WL has the same pounce range now, yay?

Next up: Detecting stealthed players/npc's is now a solid 95%. No matter how low/high your initiative is.
Because why not...

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 26, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Return of Reckoning winning this "What's the best classic MMORPG still running at the end of 2020?" poll- mainly because the streamers with the Twitch drops this week + devs spamming the link. Voted DAOC Phoenix & Return of Reckoning ofcourse it's PvP-RvR gang all the way.
https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/31/leaderboard-whats-the-best-classic-mmorpg-still-running-at-the-end-of-2020/

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Why the hell is EVE Online in that poll.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
eve online launched in 2003, which makes it older than most of the names on that list

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So when I load in there is only a European sever available, is that right? And for some reason only the weapons of the characters on the creation menu loaded. The models of the choices aren't there at all.

edit: now no visuals load at all

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 4, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

a pale ghost posted:

So when I load in there is only a European sever available, is that right? And for some reason only the weapons of the characters on the creation menu loaded. The models of the choices aren't there at all.

It says Martyr's Square as the server, it's just the random name on the login screen they have for it.

Delete your cache folder in your Return of Reckoning folder, also just log out and see if the game still has to patch. Sometimes logging in for first time it still needs to patch.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

a pale ghost posted:

Once your all patched up, load the launcher, close the window and reload it.
Theres something weird about the launcher not being able to get the full patch first time your play.

Reloading it once or twice should fix that.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'd be down to play again on Runepriest if Order / Sorc if Destro, organize in the discord for some RvR dickery and let'sgo. I still gotta get at least Sov on one character. I've stopped at Invader on 4 characters (Runepriest, Choppa thou not full invader, DoK & Sorc), that Sov wall is real. Though thankfully city sieges aren't the only way to get royals now; if they had made it easier to get royals and Sov gear instead of being up at 3 AM for a city siege, the population tripling more players would have stuck around. As it is now it's back down to pre-Peon video levels..

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

We've had some good romps in the lakes these past few nights. Game ain't dead. Goons aren't gone. Etc., etc. There's been consistently 3 of us (with an occasional fourth, but they're afk for IRL stuff). And I've extended the invite to a few personal friends who have played in the past when T3 was the cap.

Last night we absolutely broke the spirits of Order with a BO, Choppa, and a fresh af DoK (who has never made it this far in the game before) before routing not only their assault, but then brutalized their ram, and absolutely demolished their will to go to other zones. Oh, we also had no problem 3v6ing+2 in the river. If there isn't a fight, start one and get stuck in.

e: Goon guilds are basically defunct. Apparently there is a new hotness and that's where most everyone went. Come jump in to see it for yourself, but don't expect much.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 21, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Zeg posted:

We've had some good romps in the lakes these past few nights. Game ain't dead. Goons aren't gone. Etc., etc. There's been consistently 3 of us (with an occasional fourth, but they're afk for IRL stuff). And I've extended the invite to a few personal friends who have played in the past when T3 was the cap.

Last night we absolutely broke the spirits of Order with a BO, Choppa, and a fresh af DoK (who has never made it this far in the game before) before routing not only their assault, but then brutalized their ram, and absolutely demolished their will to go to other zones. Oh, we also had no problem 3v6ing+2 in the river. If there isn't a fight, start one and get stuck in.

e: Goon guilds are basically defunct. Apparently there is a new hotness and that's where most everyone went. Come jump in to see it for yourself, but don't expect much.

Is the Goon guild still called Goon Squig?

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

iminers posted:

Is the Goon guild still called Goon Squig?

Yeah

e: There are now 5 of us running amok. Three new players (I think one of them are new?), another fellow goon (Dead Nerve) and myself. One of the players are afk for a week for IRL things. Spent about 8 or 9 hours past couple afternoons/late nights romping through T1. We're more than happy to dump effort into rebuilding with people who wanna play or just get out there and play to have a good time. Right now our newbies are getting a feel for the game and learning about Order and Destro (they're unfamiliar with Warhammer and the libraries of lore) and we're currently running around as a KotBS, SM, WP, SW. Order has been a great experience and a ton of good times. We've also farmed lair bosses largely uncontested every night for several nights now for fashionhammer reasons.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 23, 2021

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Been having a blast lately running around in a small group with a few new players and getting them addicted to the awesome pvp in this game.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Joined a discord warband yesterday when they needed some healers and had some fun in the game again, was a lot of people on during the weekend. The WoW:Shadowlands rush has died down a bit now that they've remembered the game is poo poo.

Need to pick a class to Sov gear, Runepriest or Sorc probably most likely.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

knox posted:

Joined a discord warband yesterday when they needed some healers and had some fun in the game again, was a lot of people on during the weekend. The WoW:Shadowlands rush has died down a bit now that they've remembered the game is poo poo.

Need to pick a class to Sov gear, Runepriest or Sorc probably most likely.

Sov gear a SH, from what i hear they buffed the hell out of that class...and still dont know why the players are complaining.
(i could be wrong i havent played RoR in about two weeks and my source is shady)

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Excited to try this out. Played this a ton way back when. It sounds like they've been doing an "ok" job balancing things. How is the chosen doing? It was the class I play and am looking to play again. I remember the Path of Discord being a fun anti magic build.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Chosen is s good tank, kind of a passive class mechanic without any sort of strategy but I have not played one myself personally. One of their tactics that converted all their damage to Spirit damage got nerfed (KOTBS got same nerf) maybe few months ago that caused bit of a controversy but they're good class, and easily one of the best looking in endgame gear.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chosen and KotBS will practically always be wanted as well and are pretty relaxed classes mainly, good choice for some leisurely gameplay of just being a big armored boy.

If you ever wanna hit a load of buttons and just keep hitting more of them, while also never dying ever as long as you're hitting buttons, Ironbreaker is that for a fun alt.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

If anybody is around this weekend and wants to get a RvR roam group going I'll be around; can heal on Order with Runepriest, or play heal DoK/ Sorc/Choppa on Destro.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

2x Renown/Exp weekend live right now, if anyone is still playing this

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

my kingdom for a good order guild

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Grogsy posted:

my kingdom for a good order guild

I thought there was one...

started playing a runepriest, first time ever..
Wow these guys are the rockstars of single player healing....

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
low level runepriest healing feels amazing. i had a ton of fun running around the low level scenarios just constantly pumping out heals. i never took it past tier 2 though so :shrug:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Kaysette posted:

low level runepriest healing feels amazing. i had a ton of fun running around the low level scenarios just constantly pumping out heals. i never took it past tier 2 though so :shrug:

I'm determined to see what it's like at 40 t-4.

If it's anything as good as t1-t2 I'll be happy.

I see a few RP videos where they depend on Nerfed Buttons to keep up the healing.

But as hard as i have tried to learn NB, it still confuses me and usually doesn't work as intended.

Kinda wish someone would fix that addon.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Kaysette posted:

healing in this game feels really nice compared to other mmos

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

iminers posted:

I thought there was one...

I've been out of it for a bit but did order finally get a good organized guild that does things? Last time I played destro just steamroled and sieged altdorf every other day. I don't mind being on the defensive every day but a lack of organized resitance really hurt. Who would you recommend?

iminers posted:

started playing a runepriest, first time ever..
Wow these guys are the rockstars of single player healing....

I absolutely LOVE my runepriest. I don't know if this is the optimal way to play but I've for sure had the most fun with it and it seemed op, like I would regularly top healing AND protection:

You take restorative burst which gives you AP every time you crit heal.
Blessing of grungni puts a buff on the target any time you crit heal them that increases healing on them by 25%.
Ancestor's echo has a 25% chance to put a shield on the target every time you heal them.

The thing is, all of the above can proc off of the master rune of the adamant. So you put it on the floor, it starts aoe healing and proccing shield, heal buffs and ap regen. You literally then cannot run out of AP. There were scenarios where I could be half afk just having the rune on the ground and just chain casting the aoe heal. Since it's easy to get a high crit chance everyone would be getting heal buffed, healed for crazy amounts, shielded and I would not be running out of ap. Also if I remember correctly absorbs/shields are pretty good in this game since damage reduction from toughness is factored in before AND they cannot be crit.

Add Runic blasting which increases your instacast spammable heal crit chance by 15% in order to apply all of the above to single targets as needed.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Grogsy posted:

I've been out of it for a bit but did order finally get a good organized guild that does things? Last time I played destro just steamroled and sieged altdorf every other day. I don't mind being on the defensive every day but a lack of organized resitance really hurt. Who would you recommend?

- what i meant was i thought there was a Goon Squad roaming around. Not sure though.The only remotely organized guild ive seen/talked to is the Bitterstone 23's or something like that. It's a Dwarf exclusive guild run by a couple of dad's who have way to much
time on their hands. Also: Rp. As a Dwarf.

I absolutely LOVE my runepriest. I don't know if this is the optimal way to play but I've for sure had the most fun with it and it seemed op, like I would regularly top healing AND protection:

You take restorative burst which gives you AP every time you crit heal.
Blessing of grungni puts a buff on the target any time you crit heal them that increases healing on them by 25%.
Ancestor's echo has a 25% chance to put a shield on the target every time you heal them.

The thing is, all of the above can proc off of the master rune of the adamant. So you put it on the floor, it starts aoe healing and proccing shield, heal buffs and ap regen. You literally then cannot run out of AP. There were scenarios where I could be half afk just having the rune on the ground and just chain casting the aoe heal. Since it's easy to get a high crit chance everyone would be getting heal buffed, healed for crazy amounts, shielded and I would not be running out of ap. Also if I remember correctly absorbs/shields are pretty good in this game since damage reduction from toughness is factored in before AND they cannot be crit.

Add Runic blasting which increases your instacast spammable heal crit chance by 15% in order to apply all of the above to single targets as needed.

-This is great advice, as i don't know RP very well. I was reading the Bitterstones manual on RP but the info they have is dated. :(

- wow its 8am here and i haven't slept yet, i know my post is screwed up im to tired to edit it.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

iminers posted:

-This is great advice, as i don't know RP very well. I was reading the Bitterstones manual on RP but the info they have is dated. :(

It's super fun, I'm just not sure it's optimal. It tops the charts but most fights seem to be gated by AP and healing reduction. So the slayers need to apply the healing debuff on someone and then everyone needs to wail on that target. In that regard you are probably much more useful placing the master rune of fury on the ground which gives everyone AP regen and silencing the enemy healers.

Grogsy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 11, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Runepriest easily my favorite class in the game, and still my most geared in full Invader. If people want to form up a RvR group @ me in the discord; I'll play either side though I don't really give a poo poo but it's always fun to form a small man and roam.
Took break from playing anything last couple months I go in cycles with this poo poo ;/

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
The sad state that was the Elyon closed beta and it's implementation of RvR made me yearn for the old days of standing behind some Black Orc bros and spamming Lotsa Choppin and Get to Da Choppa. I haven't tried RoR yet, but I saw they did some balancing from the retail version. I'd imagine Bright Wizards aren't the murder gods they were back then? In addition, how are Choppa and Witch Elves currently? I saw an earlier post saying Zealot was a solid healer but I remember Shaman being fun back in the day just because of the WAAAGH factor.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

jaffyjaffy posted:

The sad state that was the Elyon closed beta and it's implementation of RvR made me yearn for the old days of standing behind some Black Orc bros and spamming Lotsa Choppin and Get to Da Choppa. I haven't tried RoR yet, but I saw they did some balancing from the retail version. I'd imagine Bright Wizards aren't the murder gods they were back then? In addition, how are Choppa and Witch Elves currently? I saw an earlier post saying Zealot was a solid healer but I remember Shaman being fun back in the day just because of the WAAAGH factor.

Choppas are good and fun, even if Marauder and melee Squig Herder are slightly better in the 'standing behind Black Orcs spamming AoE' department. Witch Elves still have no real role in the thick of big battles, but can be a big part of organized 24vs24, which is what the city siege endgame is. They also excel at small scale fights and 1v1s, basically anything where their stealth and single target damage is useful.
Shamans also excel at small scale fights, supporting groups that pick off stragglers, kiting into the night when the zerg focuses the attention their way (although Zealots are great at this as well). They are slightly worse than Zealots and Disciples for large sieges and stuff, but since healers are always in demand and a force multiplier to boot you will never not feel useful in a siege.
What sets the Shaman apart from everyone else is their amazing damage build. They are absolutely the strongest roaming class, with great kiting potential, high damage and self-sustain. They're not quite at the 'kiting entire zergs for all eternity' level that they had on the live servers, but they are still so fun to play. The WAAAGH mechanic isnt a big deal anymore outside of niche cases. Its mostly used for damage Shamans to boost their initial burst by using 5 instant healing spells before engaging and it passively boosts their shield and decurse spells over the course of a fight, but there's no true hybrid gameplay to be had.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What's the best picks for PVE farming classes if I want to just dick around farming a pile of gold and mats before deciding on a main? Everything I've found says marauder on destro and kotbs or engineer on order.

I just want to farm for a bit and save up some mount gold.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Probably WL on Order and Marauder on Destro if you want to aoe pull for Butchering or DoK/WP for killing champs for Scavenging.
Knight is too slow and I have no clue why Engineer is seen as anything but bad for farming. By the time you've put your DoTs up an aoe WL has already killed everything.
Slayer can probably do the same as WL, but I haven't played one, so I'm not too sure.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
This game still doesn't have NA servers does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

This game still doesn't have NA servers does it?

This game has exactly one server.