Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nidoking posted:

I enjoyed messing with level and sound WADs, but my favorite thing to do was to use DeHackED to modify some of the executable. I could probably do more with it if I bothered to study what was going on better, but I did things like make Imp fireballs shootable, reduce all of the frames of every weapon's firing animation to the minimum duration so the shotgun fires at about the speed of the chaingun, and reduce the speed of rockets so I could stand at one end of a room, unload all of my rockets, then run ahead of them and open a door to let the enemies inside have a room full of explosions.
I may have spent more time loving around with DeHackEd than playing any other single game. Some of my favourites that I remember:
  • Remove all unnecessary frames of weapon animation and set the remaining frame duration to 1 for super-fast, non-stop firing.
  • Replace bullet puffs and blood splats with rocket explosions. Combine with the above to crash the game with too much fireball!
  • Splice the Pain Elemental "spawn Lost Soul" frame into the Cyberdermon's attack animation, replace its sprite with the Cyberdemon's attack, replace all Lost Soul sprites with Rockets, and give the lost soul the Rocket explosion as a close attack. Now the Cyberdemon fires heat-seeking rockets.
  • Switch the Thing Number of Bullet Ammo and the Trooper Corpse¹, then replace the Trooper Corpse with a living Trooper, remove its attack action and set it to semi-transparent. Splice the Arch-vile check-for-corpse frame into its walk animation and replace its sprite with the appropriate Trooper walk frame. Edit the Arch-vile Revive animation to make it die when finished and replace its sprites with the Trooper dying. Now when you kill a Trooper it becomes a ghost and walks around until it finds a body to possess. If that body is its own or another Trooper, the process repeats.
There may be easier ways to do some of those but I had to figure it all out on my own because I had no internet.

¹ This prevents intentionally placed bullet ammo from being replaced with ghosts. Somehow. :iiam:

Fabulousity posted:

You're right, the E1M4 swastika was in the game from initial release until patch 1.4 changed the shape. John Romero's comments suggest it was put in as wink to Wolfenstein and was later removed due to complaints.
IIRC it made it into the novelisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

I don't think the Shores of Hell episode is visually uninspiring, its problem is just that it represents a stepping stone between the first and the third. The Hell in Doom slowly subsumes anything it conquers.
Yeah, I think all you can really say about it these days is that it was a really cool concept for the time. As afar as level design goes it's definitely the weakest of the three original episodes, and the "hell leaking into human design" thing is probably done better in episodes one and three anyway. You can see what they were going for, it's just that it's been done a lot better.

The Cyberdemon is the best boss though.

KeiraWalker posted:

Source ports like ZDoom/GZDoom take that 2D data and append 3D data to it, like collision cylinders--for instance, in the original game monsters can not pass above or below each other, or the player.
Yeah, there's a really annoying side-effect in the original game where you can be blocked up monsters that are below you. You can be standing on top of a cliff and try to run off it but slam into a wall because there's a monster standing at the bottom directly in your path. Realistically you should just go over the top of them but you can't because they're infinitely tall.

CJacobs posted:

Re: Demons being friends, I like to imagine they are like chickens given how quick they are to turn on each other and infight (like chickens). Yeah sure they'll hang out together but only by circumstance. A shared goal almost. Chickens desire that sweet chicken feed, demons desire a dead marine.
I love that different monsters have different priorities for attacking each other. The player is always the highest priority target, but certain monsters will give higher priority to other monsters after an accidental hit. Like, if either of a cacodemon or baron of hell accidentally hits the other they will then fight to the death before turning their attention back to the player because cacos and barons just hate each other.

Section Z posted:

If I remember right, you could backtrack to old levels in Blake Stone via the main elevator. But I think that was more a case of "Look, you CAN backtrack to old levels! Isn't that wild?" than anything to do with the core gameplay.
Yeah, I think you could go back to previous levels but there was never any reason to do so. Like, they realised that they could do that and so they added it but it was just a happy accident rather than something that was actually properly integrated into the game. It was pretty neat though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Do you get blocked if you try to run under a caco?

Yep. It's particularly troublesome with swarms of Lost Souls.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m thinking about the fact that the game only displays stuff in 2D while not processing it that way. So ledges are kind of like one-way walls that you can shoot through I guess. How does that factor in Doom 2 with killing the Icon of Sin, where you have to ride a platform upwards to reach the height you need to shoot a rocket through its weak point instead of just aiming below it like you do for everything else.

Well, even though the map is two-dimensional, the game does have some awareness of three-dimensional space, because you have to be able to see stuff for the auto-aim to lock on to it and it is possible to accidentally hit a partial-height wall in front of the thing you're trying to shoot at. I'm not certain but I believe the way the Icon of Sin works is that the thing you're actually shooting at is in a little "cave" inside the wall and you only have line of sight to it from one specific angle. You can never actually see it because there's an opaque but permeable barrier in between you, but I think the game treats it as though you can see through it for the purpose of targeting. So from too low or too high you won't have line of sight so you'll shoot straight forward and not into the hole you need to aim at to damage it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wolfenstein 3D had stealth, of a sort: shoot an enemy before they're aware of you and they take extra damage. You can see this very clearly with the basic orange-uniform Nazis, which die to one shot from the pistol if shot in the back but take several if alert and firing back at you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think I've ever played it with anything other than the original keyboard-only controls and vertical auto-aim.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

What's the official lore order now?

What about TNT and Plutonia?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The 4 book series is incredibly good, by which I mean incredibly bad but hilarious, and doesn't really have anything to do with the game. It instead features "Fly" Flynn Taggart, the real hero of the Doom franchise, who is not doom guy no matter how many times they say He Is DOOM

Also the demons are really aliens and the whole invasion of Earth is just a minor part of a larger war between them and a bunch of other aliens. And the Earth's greatest defenders and last hope are the Mormons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carpator Diei posted:

(I still kinda can't believe there's an actual person actually named 'American McGee')

quote:

In explaining where his name came from, McGee has said that his mother was a hippie and was inspired by a woman she knew in college that named her child "America":

"Yes, my mother named me that. She claims a woman she knew in college, who named her daughter 'America', inspired the name. She also tells me that she was thinking of naming me 'Obnard'. She was and always has been a very eccentric and creative person."