Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The music in that secret level sounded more like an accordion to me.

This game was the rest of my childhood along with the Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games. I enjoyed messing with level and sound WADs, but my favorite thing to do was to use DeHackED to modify some of the executable. I could probably do more with it if I bothered to study what was going on better, but I did things like make Imp fireballs shootable, reduce all of the frames of every weapon's firing animation to the minimum duration so the shotgun fires at about the speed of the chaingun, and reduce the speed of rockets so I could stand at one end of a room, unload all of my rockets, then run ahead of them and open a door to let the enemies inside have a room full of explosions.

I also set the final death frame for every enemy from "corpse sprite" to "walk sprite" so any enemy that died became a ghost with no physical presence but full attack capability. Nightmare mode had nothing on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fun facts: The maps in DOOM are entirely two-dimensional. Any given point on the map has one floor and one ceiling, and that's it. There is no point when a hallway or room can cross above or below another room. This makes maps easier to generate, but more difficult to make seem like winding paths or tall facilities. There are some clever tricks used in some places.

The infighting in this game was so popular that there was a screen saver of it way back in the day. It was one of my favorites, although I usually switched it out for You Bet Your Head.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

More (possibly) interesting technical notes from my brief stint of DeHackEd-ery: There's a stat for Explosive Damage on many of the objects in DOOM, such as rockets, fireballs, and barrel explosions. This is also how Lost Souls attack. They don't, in fact, have any melee capability. They just fly at you and explode on impact, but don't die from it. I had "fun" in one set of changes by dropping that damage to 0 and raising their HP to the maximum that would fit, essentially making them harmless but indestructible flying obstacles. This made some levels effectively impossible, even when I set their mass so low that they'd fly across the room from any impact. For reasons, this was a terrible idea in DOOM 2. I also experimented with the explosive damage from other things, such as a rocket that blew up everything in the entire level (including Doomguy, R.I.P.), but I think my favorite one was setting the last frame of the exploding barrel animation to transition to the first frame of the exploding barrel animation. The barrel would explode over and over forever, becoming an impassable landmine that once triggered, would never stop triggering. I also replaced the barrel explosion with the explosion frames of the weapon we've yet to see. DOOM veterans will probably cringe in horror at the thought.

One thing I really wanted to get working was replacing the rocket launcher's projectiles with Lost Souls, turning the weapon into a flying skull launcher, but they got stuck in the barrel and blew up in my face every time. Shame, really.

Oh, and it is possible to raise the maximum HP so that you never waste a Soulsphere. I don't know why it's capped at 200. Armor, too, but that's much harder to accumulate.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Every line on the map has three texture assignments - one for the portion below the floor, one for the portion between the floor and the ceiling, and one for the portion above the ceiling. Usually, the one in the middle uses no texture, so it just appears to be open space, but there's nothing in the game engine preventing it from being any of the wall (or floor or ceiling) textures in the game. It still behaves the same; it's just got a texture drawn over it. In-game, they usually put semi-opaque textures over those, like the vines with big holes in them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The BFG doesn't use a cone or vectors, as far as I could tell from my time messing with the EXE. It's just another projectile with a much, much larger explosion, and you're somehow immune to your own shots. If you set, say, exploding barrels to use the BFG's explosion animation, though...

While damage floors are bound to actual patches of floor, both teleports and triggers for things like doors opening are actually bound to specific lines between the sections. So you get things like teleporters that take you someplace different depending on which side you step on, or a spot that closes a door if you step on it from the wrong side. I think each one also has a front and back, so it normally only triggers from one side or the other, and you can't set a different trigger for each side. You can, however, place a very thin section of floor so that there are two lines and bind an action to each of them, but you have to be careful about that. The DOOM engine doesn't like having too many transparent lines in a single spot, or at least, a level I once tried to make with a grid of semi-random teleports just never worked at all.