Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Regarding goofy yet great midi music in this game, I wanna point out that the community has not only been pumping out 25+ years of great map content, but also some really loving banging midi tunes made by a number of community members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrjTlvt8p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8M7_QM_Q6s

There are hours and hours of this stuff across dozens of WADs, it's awesome.

Nidoking posted:

I did things like make Imp fireballs shootable, [...] and reduce the speed of rockets so I could stand at one end of a room, unload all of my rockets, then run ahead of them and open a door to let the enemies inside have a room full of explosions.

I also set the final death frame for every enemy from "corpse sprite" to "walk sprite" so any enemy that died became a ghost with no physical presence but full attack capability. Nightmare mode had nothing on that.

Tiggum posted:

Some of my favourites that I remember:
[*]Replace bullet puffs and blood splats with rocket explosions. Combine with the above to crash the game with too much fireball!
[*]Splice the Pain Elemental "spawn Lost Soul" frame into the Cyberdermon's attack animation, replace its sprite with the Cyberdemon's attack, replace all Lost Soul sprites with Rockets, and give the lost soul the Rocket explosion as a close attack. Now the Cyberdemon fires heat-seeking rockets.
[*]Switch the Thing Number of Bullet Ammo and the Trooper Corpse¹, then replace the Trooper Corpse with a living Trooper, remove its attack action and set it to semi-transparent. Splice the Arch-vile check-for-corpse frame into its walk animation and replace its sprite with the appropriate Trooper walk frame. Edit the Arch-vile Revive animation to make it die when finished and replace its sprites with the Trooper dying. Now when you kill a Trooper it becomes a ghost and walks around until it finds a body to possess. If that body is its own or another Trooper, the process repeats.[/list]
There may be easier ways to do some of those but I had to figure it all out on my own because I had no internet.

¹ This prevents intentionally placed bullet ammo from being replaced with ghosts. Somehow. :iiam:

IIRC it made it into the novelisation.
I've just started learning how to use DeHacked and :psyduck:. I have a lot of cool poo poo to try and figure out and to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Gnoman posted:

Monsters of the same type can infight with melee attacks, you just rarely see this, and when you do it is with melee-only monsters such as the Pinky, because it is really hard to get two imps to aggro each other. I've been playing for years and only seen it two or three times with ranged-capable enemies.

Yep, infighting of monsters of the same type is a bug of the engine, usually exploited with barrels. Take 2 barons - baron A damages a barrel and it explodes, damaging baron B in the process. Baron B checks to see what caused the barrel to explode and goes after whoever that was (Baron A). Barons are immune to their own green projectiles but can still be tricked into attacking one another in this way, it's a cool quirk of the very normal and not at all loving bizarre engine that is Id Tech 1.