Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm ready for some ripping and/or tearing.

edit: Dunking on Bethesda is always a great time and I'm all for it, but their (well, Nerve Software's) recent ports of Doom have been fixed completely and are actually really good now. Proper aspect ratio, correct music and sound, correct lighting, 60 fps, no stupid Bethesda.net login requirements, add-on support (albeit limited on consoles), the works. They're now totally worth picking up.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

anilEhilated posted:

Playing on HMP? Shameful.
I have to play Eternal on HMP because Ultraviolence in that game is about ten times harder than it was in Doom 2016 :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, but this is Doom 1, it doesn't get tricky until E4.
Oh, absolutely. I was just saying. :v:

I never beat Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultraviolence, although I did get all the way to E4M6 so I probably could've done the rest if I had bothered.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nidoking posted:

The music in that secret level sounded more like an accordion to me.
Someone needs to ask "Weird Al" Yankovic to make a polka medley of Doom music.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The music from E1M8 is amazing, especially on high-quality sound hardware like the Roland SC-55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLvSD5HuIcE

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Seyser Koze posted:

I read somewhere that the infamous Daikatana magazine ad actually wasn't Romero's idea, but now of course I can't find where I saw it.
It wasn't. Some marketing ghoul came to him and pitched the ad, and he was apprehensive about it but the marketing guy insisted it'd get people talking. All publicity is good publicity and so on.

My favorite little thing about Daikatana is the fact the protagonist is said to be the descendant of Miyamoto Usagi, which I noticed when watching Matt McMuscles' "What Happened?" episode on the game. Miyamoto Musashi is of course the famous samurai they were going for, whereas Miyamoto Usagi is an anthropomorphic rabbit and the main character of Usagi Yojimbo.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Gnoman posted:

There's an interesting parallel with Duke Nukem Forever, which was a disaster largely because the developers kept wanting to add more.
That was all George Broussard. He'd play some new game, see a feature or level he liked and then demand the developers put it in DNF. It wasn't just "oh, let's copy the intro from Half-Life and the health regen from Halo because that's the popular thing to do", but also smaller stuff like that time he played The Thing and immediately demanded a snow level in DNF. There was no snow level in the final version of DNF, but I'm sure there was at some point.

After dealing with these constant demands for a while, the devs started to get sick of it and suggested that maybe they should stop George from playing new games during DNF's development.