Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Another WAD I've seen quite a few recommendations for is Eviternity. It has some extremely good visuals and high-quality level design. Apparently it's also rather beginner-friendly compared to other WADs: It starts out somewhere in the range of Doom II's difficulty and steadily ramps it up.

There's also a thread for collectively playing Doom WADs and mods over at the retro forums; it has a bunch of other recommendations and assorted tips for getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Returning to WAD and mod talk for a moment, I've just (re-)discovered this very comprehensive history of Doom mapping that covers all the most influential WADs from 1993 to 2019. There's been quite a few of those :v:

Another one I recommend looking at is Going Down, certainly one of the most inventive and conceptually interesting mapsets I've encountered. It's somewhat difficult, but just watching a video playthrough is already very much worth it. (It obviously uses all the enemy types from Doom and Doom II, so it probably counts as something of a spoiler for those games if you haven't seen them yet, I suppose?)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The Doomworld forums once had a little informal tournament called April Agitation intended to sift out the best among all the maps from Doom and Doom II. The winner: E2M2: Containment Area :v:

Honestly, as someone who has never actually played Doom but watched and read copious amounts about it and its mapping scene, it's quite fascinating to me that the quality of particular levels from the original games remains such a divisive issue. There's hardly any level that doesn't get both praised and condemned at some point.

By the way, since you mentioned getting somewhat scared whenever a Baron of Hell appears... The Doomwiki has some statistics about monster use in custom WADs and apparently the single map with the most Barons is Holy Hell Revealed, sporting no less than 2056 of them (the map has 41.660 monsters in total). That's a lot even by the standards of that sub-genre of custom Doom maps.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

KeiraWalker posted:

You had me at "shotgun."

Probably worth noting that the Shotgun doesn't appear until Marathon 2. It is very much worth it, though.

Gnoman posted:

It is always worth checking out Brutal Doom as far as mods go, even if the creator's on the garbage side.

There's also Project Brutality, a spin-off of Brutal Doom that adds a heap of custom weapons and enemies that can randomly replace the regular enemy types. It's also a nice example of the sheer amount of shared content the Doom community has produced over the years, since most of those custom enemies in particular were originally developed for other mods (or even for no particular mod at all) and are now basically public domain for anyone who wants to use them. One of those enemies even somehow got its own Doomwiki page; I think Jacob might like that one :v:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Another thing worth noting is that the Chaingun has a bit of an exploit that actually turns it into arguably the best sniping weapon in the game: The shot dispersal only starts at the third bullet, the first two always hit exactly the center of the screen (i.e. the crosshair, if you're using a sourceport that adds one). Since the Chaingun always fires a minimum of two bullets anyway, you can just tap the fire button instead of holding it down and you have pretty much eliminated the shot dispersal (at the cost of slightly lower overall firing speed).

edit: Update on previous page.

ThornBrain posted:

Walk like you're not affected by your own rockets' blast radius.

edit 2: Whoops, I just noticed that anilEhilated already explained the Chaingun accuracy thing back on the first page.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, since ranged combat was mentioned: while it is true your shotgun doubles as your sniper rifle, there is one weapon that's better at it and that is the chaingun. Thing is, while it does have a bullet scatter, that spread applies only from the second shot onwards: the first two bullets (one click/press) fired will always hit the crosshair/middle of the screen. If you keep tapping Fire instead of holding the button down, you get a gatling sniper rifle.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 11, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

You only rarely see it in custom maps, too.

Well, in most custom maps. There are exceptions :v:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tiggum posted:

What about TNT and Plutonia?

On that note: Will those be covered in the LP? If yes, there's an interesting mod for them called Final Doomer. It adds specific weaponsets for both TNT and Plutonia (and, by this point, for a bunch of other WADs as well); there's some really neat weapon designs in there.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

KeiraWalker posted:

The theory seems to be, at the moment, that the Earth you're defending in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal--which the original Doomguy has crossed into through Hell and Argent D'Nur--is the reality in which Doom III takes place. As far as I understand it, this is based on dates in the in-game material lining up (I don't know which dates; can anyone clarify that?), and the general look & feel of the UAC technology you interact with between the three titles (this is what actually has me sold on the idea, after seeing a lot of Doom III gameplay). They do say that Argent D'Nur connects to multiple different "realms" in Eternal, up to and including Heaven & Hell, so it lends credence to the idea.

Huh, in principle, that might be a way to make literally every Doom WAD canon by just saying that it takes place in some parallel dimension that was also invaded by Hell because that's just what Hell does.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Since it wasn't answered in the video: According to the Doomwiki, Sever the Wicked was not a leftover from the earlier episodes; in fact, it was the first Doom level designed by Shawn Green, who didn't design any levels in the first three episodes (but one level of Doom II, interestingly enough; since Doom II came out before Thy Flesh Consumed, Sever the Wicked might have actually been a leftover of a different sort).

In fact, most of the levels in Thy Flesh Consumed were designed by completely different people than the ones in episodes 1 to 3, which were made by Romero (all of episode 1, except the final level) and Sandy Petersen (everything else, mostly building upon drafts by Tom Hall). Here's the list for episode 4 (level 9 is the secret level):
Level 1: American McGee
Level 2: John Romero
Level 3: Shawn Green
Level 4: American McGee
Level 5: Tim Willits / Theresa Chasar
Level 6: John Romero
Level 7: John "Dr. Sleep" Anderson
Level 8: Shawn Green
Level 9: Tim Willits

(I still kinda can't believe there's an actual person actually named 'American McGee')

Also probably worth noting: There's quite a number of people in the Doom community who consider level 2 of episode 4, 'Perfect Hatred', to be the very best out of all the official Doom maps. With Jacob sounding rather lukewarm on it, this is probably another example of the aforementioned trend that pretty much every official Doom map is considered amazing by some, terrible by others.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 1, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

You know what I really miss? The maps between levels showing you where you were going next. There was some sweet artwork there and it helps make the whole things seem a little more cohesive, even if the locations on the map screen look nothing like the levels at all.

The recent one-episode WAD Hell-Forged has a pretty neat-looking map:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

KeiraWalker posted:

Oooo, neat. Is the WAD itself any good?

Haven't played it myself, but it received generally good reviews, and it won one of the 2019 Cacowards*. I've seen some complaints that the levels are a bit larger than they should be at some points, but the general gameplay seems good and the graphics are honestly amazing. It replaces all the weapons with custom ones (some of them have really interesting effects) and adds or replaces a whole bunch of enemies. It's well worth trying out, in any case.
Be aware that is a dedicated ZDoom WAD and uses some of the features associated with that; it's all listed here (don't click on the 'Arsenal' and 'Bestiary' lists if you don't want to get spoiled, they have pictures): https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13397

*For the uninitiated: The Cacowards are an annual award ceremony on Doomworld that honours the 10 best WADs and mods of the year (plus a few extra categories), as determined by some of the most profilic members of the Doomworld community (I don't really know how they decide who gets to be on the 'jury'). It should say something about the scale of the Doom modding scene that there can consistently be a Top 10 list for each individual year.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and Blood also still have active modding scenes, albeit not on the huge scale of Doom. They've all brought forth some recent high-profile mods, though, such as Alien Armageddon for Duke3D, Arcane Dimensions for Quake, and Death Wish for Blood. Between this and all the commercial retro releases it seems like we're living in the best time for 90s-style FPS games after the 90s, interestingly enough.