Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Starting at 6PM (EST) Friday, April 3rd and concluding at 6PM (EST) Saturday, April 4th, we will be streaming a marathon of specially curated B-movies, for free, for all of CineD and the rest of SomethingAwful.

The Devilish Details!

:pirate: The marathon will be 24 hours long. It is free to participate.

:ghost: The selection will be a mix of forgotten films, fan favorites, hidden gems, and ridiculous attempts at cinema. The selection is top secret, and will be revealed only when the films play, and will represent a variety of taste and genres.
(Content Advisories will be posted if/when necessary)

:drac: A link to the stream and the chat will be posted in this thread the night the marathon begins.

:cthulhu: Lucky participants may enjoy surprises, including a raffle.

FAQs

:zombie: Can I suggest a film?
Yes! Absolutely. Please send film suggestions to me in a direct message or on Discord. Please send me the movie title, a link to the film (Letterboxd, IMDb, Wikipedia), and the reason why you think it'd be great for the marathon.

Guidelines:
-The film cannot be released past 1999.
-There isn't a rule against content advisory, but in favor of pleasing a wider audience, we don't want to get too exploitative, offensive or controversial.
-Variety is the spice of a great movie marathon. Think outside the box! It doesn't have to be exclusively a monster movie, or from the 50's creature feature. Think about kung-fu movies, 80's action, 70's disater films, romantic films with zero chemistry, etc.

:zombie: I have a great idea for the marathon that isn't a movie!

If you would like to contribute in any way, or have suggestions, please message me with your ideas!

That's it for now! Please bookmark this thread and keep an eye on it for updates, new information, and hopefully some delightful surprises.

In the meantime, feel free to post about your favorite B and Z movies in this thread. Conversation can be casual, as long as they stay chill and within CineD's rules and SomethingAwful's greater rules.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This sounds fun as hell. I'm in. I'll try to think of a good film or two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sounds great but 6pm Friday in what time zone?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Sounds great but 6pm Friday in what time zone?

Eastern! I'll make sure that's clear in the OP.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I have no doubt you'll show the Synapse restoration of Manos: The Hands of Fate, possibly the only successful goon project ever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh the sights to show

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know you said nothing beyond 1999, but would you consider to break that rule to play the six episodes of Stingray Sam in between movies?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We'll see!

I'd like to emphasize to have a variety of ideas for film suggestions. It doesn't have to exclusively be creature features, or 50's teen movies, or horror/sci-fi. Also think about Westerns, action films, disaster movies, martial arts films, rom coms, musicals.

Any genre goes during Z-Fest.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice nice nice. Just no zombie / outbreak films, please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes. Please. Yes. I wish this were happening earlier, but I'm pumped.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It takes something special to awaken the dead gaze of the walrus.

Seeing this threads brings a smile to the grey mass of whiskers.

With tremendous strength, tusks thrust into the air, two great flippers are distanced and then thrown together in a terrible spectacle.

Concluding with two thunderous, wet claps, this thread is given my approval.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
They showed No Retreat, No Surrender for MST3K live last month, and boy howdy is that a movie. Can't believe I hadn't watched it or even really known about it until then. Everyone needs to see that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Detour is an excellent cheap rear end noir film that's less than an hour, so would be great for breaking up two longer films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

How are these going to be streamed? Twitch?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How are you going to decide on what to pick when everyone starts giving suggestions?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

How are you going to decide on what to pick when everyone starts giving suggestions?

Play them all at once, overlaid over each other

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Same way you design a mix-tape. Take the best/most fun suggestions and then order them in a way that compliments a 24 hour broadcast, taking into consideration tone and energy and "what the gently caress?"-ness, with a few unexpected hidden gems along the way.

I, Butthole posted:

Play them all at once, overlaid over each other

:hmmyes:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, you're gonna want to come out heavy at the beginning, transition into weird delirium in the overnight hours, probably chill it out with some comfort classics Saturday morning and early afternoon and then try to ramp it back up to end on a bang.

I'm excited.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, you're gonna want to come out heavy at the beginning, transition into weird delirium in the overnight hours, probably chill it out with some comfort classics Saturday morning and early afternoon and then try to ramp it back up to end on a bang.

I'm excited.

Basically yes. We've drawn up a tonal blueprint similar to what you're positing, and are moving the movies around like pieces to a tone poem.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I would like to suggest one of the worst films I've ever seen, Operation Delta Force (1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpjtrgAVTU

And a very-much-B-movie Nic Cage / Tommy Lee Jones what-if-top-gun-but-apache-helicopters, Fire Birds (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOcWJ9ae5A

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm excited.

You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like Saturday morning, as the sun come up, is the perfect time for some 50s monster movies. Eating cereal and watching The Deadly Mantis.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like Saturday morning, as the sun come up, is the perfect time for some 50s monster movies. Eating cereal and watching The Deadly Mantis.

As someone who did this a lot growing up, I agree.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

We'll see!

I'd like to emphasize to have a variety of ideas for film suggestions. It doesn't have to exclusively be creature features, or 50's teen movies, or horror/sci-fi. Also think about Westerns, action films, disaster movies, martial arts films, rom coms, musicals.

Any genre goes during Z-Fest.

It was hard enough thinking of some good horror entries, but any genre? There's too much stuff from the 70s that'd be good entries.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lost Skeleton is disqualified by its release year and the fact that it's a parody, but man does it nail that 50s b movie vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8D0PQQDptM

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

My Z Movie would be Silithis. I just watched it and it is the worse in all the right ways possible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

My Z Movie would be Silithis. I just watched it and it is the worse in all the right ways possible.

My man

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My suggestion is always HOUSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 27, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I fully support putting Shakma on at some godawful hour.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When I was a kid I used to do sleepovers at my grandparents' place and watch weird and confusing things on their cable box while everyone was asleep. I don't remember the name of it now but there was a 50s Lost World-type movie on AMC's weekend creature feature that was so bad I almost died laughing, like the dinosaurs were literal inflated rubber balloons 'n poo poo. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post it, the budget must've been the director's lunch money for that week.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm telling everyone right now, the line-up we've been working on is amazing. I'm legit excited to stay up and watch every single one of the movies the Z-Fest crew has been putting together, with all of you wonderful goons.

There are some fun choices that many will recognize, and there's a few that I don't think anyone has seen (based off of Letterboxd research).

Specially curated to PLEASANTLY ROT YOUR BRAINS.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hell yeah! Looking forward to it :dance:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm looking forward to possibly seeing something I've not seen yet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Alligator People rules hell yeah, that's the kind of brain rot I can get into :cool:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is really awesome. Things like this need to happen more often in CD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am here for this

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Hell yeah! Looking forward to it :dance:

I hope all of us are your avatar by the end

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I convinced my fiancee that this is how we have to spend our weekend next weekend so I'm in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's it going to be streaming on?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If I could be so bold as to suggest a movie, I would like to throw out Master of the Flying Guillotine, a 1976 Taiwanese Wuxia film and sequel to the 1973 film One Armed Boxer.

The whole movie is currently up on Youtube, so sourcing a stream won't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Memento posted:

If I could be so bold as to suggest a movie, I would like to throw out Master of the Flying Guillotine, a 1976 Taiwanese Wuxia film and sequel to the 1973 film One Armed Boxer.

The whole movie is currently up on Youtube, so sourcing a stream won't be a problem.

MotFG is basically Street Fighter 2: the Movie, for real.

Also, is it racist for a Chinese man in brown face to portray an Indian?