Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

After some discussion in the horror thread, and given my own past running this sort of thing, Francescanado suggested I spin it out into its own thread. I give you...

We'll spend the next few months with this, finally determining via March Madness style brackets, what truly is the greatest horror franchise of all time!

Four absolute no-doubt blue-chipper franchises get a #1 seed in their own bracket. Will they survive? Will anyone? Who knows! That's why we have this tournament! The only limitations are that it has to be generally agreed to be a horror or horror-adjacent franchise, and have at least three in-continuity movies. Sorry, The Thing, having 2 in-continuity and 1 previous version doesn't count.

Time to vote in the finals!

:siren: USE WHATEVER METHODOLOGY YOU LIKE! :siren: Highest overall quality! Best effects! Most entries! Worst Acting! It's totally up to you!

We're down to just 32!! Feel free to campaign for your faves, and voting will last a week per bracket. Let the games begin.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

da Update z0ne

Reminder I created a Letterboxd list if you are into such things!

Full Original Bracket Here

3/22: ended seeding poll, began Bubble Franchise vote
3/24: Psycho crushed Jurassic Park, began 1st round of Crystal Lake Division
3/26: closed first round of Crystal Lake Division, opened voting on Pittsburgh division
3/30: closed first round of Pittsburgh Division, opening voting on Haddonfield division
4/3: closed first round of Haddonfield Division, opening voting on Springwood division
4/7: closed first round of Springwood Division, opening voting on Crystal Lake Rd 2
4/11: closed second round of Crystal Lake, opened 2nd round of Pittsburgh division
4/18: closed second round of Pittsburgh, opened 2nd round of Haddonfield division
4/23: closed second round of Haddonfield, opened 2nd round of Springwood division
4/28: closed second round of Springwood division, opened Western Conference Sweet Six-Scream
5/5: closed Western Sweet Six-Scream, opened Eastern Sweet Six-Scream
5/12: closed Eastern Sweet Six-Scream, opened Western Evil Eight
5/19: closed Western Evil Eight, opened Eastern Evil Eight

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 19, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This rules.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
drat thanks for doing this OP. I'm ranking mine based on how much they make my heart go a flutter, and it's quite difficult let me tell you.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Man, how can Alien not win this?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Uhhh because Critters will.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder this first, ranked-choice vote is just to establish seeds for the eventual brackets. There will be plenty of heads up voting later

EDIT: Hey folks I already, in true goon project fashion, hosed up with creating the poll and using the default 3 winners instead of 59 winners to create actual rankings. If you already submitted your vote (all 9 of you) please use the link in this (or the OP) again and re-submit. I am an rear end in a top hat. I am sorry.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 21, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You got Hammer Dracula in there, but no Hammer Frankenstein?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

Reminder this first, ranked-choice vote is just to establish seeds for the eventual brackets. There will be plenty of heads up voting later

EDIT: Hey folks I already, in true goon project fashion, hosed up with creating the poll and using the default 3 winners instead of 59 winners to create actual rankings. If you already submitted your vote (all 9 of you) please use the link in this (or the OP) again and re-submit. I am an rear end in a top hat. I am sorry.

This is great, you're doing great! I hosed up my first vote by only voting for one so this works out just swell!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Because Alien: Resurrection and Prometheus count.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Strong words from an off-brand Ajani

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

Because Alien: Resurrection and Prometheus count.

Prometheus is in the top 3 of Alien films you heathen, I'd fight you irl if it weren't for social distancing.

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Thanks for reminding me that hammer was a thing. I had a frankenstein book when I was young and the hammer version scared the hell out of me.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I think Cabin in the Woods should get a seed, even though it isn't technically a franchise. Its hyper-meta commentary includes all franchises in one movie!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I voted. Pretty satisfied with myself that I've seen at least one entry in almost every franchise except maybe two of them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Hammer Dracula , easily

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I'm gonna leave the poll open another few days to get a better idea of seeds, and I don't want to talk about what I'm seeing for fear of poisoning the well, but whoever put Wishmaster as your top pick show yourself coward.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cuz it has a bad one, unlike Evil Dead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, finally got the voting thing to work (apparently it doesn't work in my new experimental browser, which is a black mark against the browser). I tried to basically go like the franchises with the largest number of good movies went highest not really counting how many bad movies you had against you coughHellraisercough. Then the ones that I don't really know the franchises but they had a great first film. Then the ones I don't really like but I'm familiar with. And finally the ones I don't think I've ever seen a single film of.

I shall try and expand my horizons in April. Except probably not Human Centipede.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, finally got the voting thing to work (apparently it doesn't work in my new experimental browser, which is a black mark against the browser). I tried to basically go like the franchises with the largest number of good movies went highest not really counting how many bad movies you had against you coughHellraisercough. Then the ones that I don't really know the franchises but they had a great first film. Then the ones I don't really like but I'm familiar with. And finally the ones I don't think I've ever seen a single film of.

I shall try and expand my horizons in April. Except probably not Human Centipede.

Human Centipede 2 is so bizarre and interesting I can't really get mad at it for being bad. It's almost a direct response to the critical and audience reaction to the first one.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Basket Case is a perfect trilogy imo. The only reason I didn't put it in my top 5 is because this is a really strong bracket. And the original Human Centipede is worth watching, it's pretty much a dark comedy for most of the runtime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Maniac Cop is good, Maniac Cop 2 is amazing.

Don't bother with 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been meaning to give the first 2 Maniac Cops a watch ever since 2 was part of the Essentials list last year. Just never gotten around to it. So I'll probably make a point to watch them in April. Even though I suspect its not really my thing.

I also really gotta watch Prom Night. That's a little embarrassing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, I have enough votes for the first 63. Now the first heads-up vote, for the BUBBLE TEAM! This franchise will go up against Friday the 13th (the #1 overall Seed) in the main tournament, so don't get too attached.

VOTING NOW! CLICK HERE! (I'm gonna use Google Forms unless you guys have a better option for future rounds)

Face-Off:
vs

v-- not anymore ;)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 23, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's two Exorcists in those brackets my man.

vv I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Jurassic Park if it had just been the first three movies, but as it is I gotta go with Psyho.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 23, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

None of the Psycho films are actually bad. They at worst are mediocre in some parts but all are excellent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I vote with batting average without factoring individual variance, so Psycho wins.

And Halloween is going down.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's two Exorcists in those brackets my man.

vv I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Jurassic Park if it had just been the first three movies, but as it is I gotta go with Psyho.

This is a bizarre take since JW2 is straoght up gothic horror down to a monster on a castle spire siholetted in the moon

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

This is a bizarre take since JW2 is straoght up gothic horror down to a monster on a castle spire siholetted in the moon

I have never seen any of the new ones

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have never seen any of the new ones

Jurassic World 1 is an absolutely nightmare of bad decisions piled atop one another, but JW2 takes all those and tries to bang the plastic toys together into something worth watching. It's a great mess and never really works but legitimately is the darkest and most mean-spirited of all the Jurassics (even more than JP2)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Both JWs are boring and bad but JW2 sucks real bad.

That said, I still voted Jurassic Park because I’ve only seen the original Psycho.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheBizzness posted:

That said, I still voted Jurassic Park because I’ve only seen the original Psycho.

I'm surprised Psycho was even at the bottom since the original you could argue was the best movie in the whole bracket.

Also the bracket has Re-Animator and Reanimator. Is that intentional?

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 23, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

The Psycho sequels are the most severely underrated movies in horror history. It's almost certainly an artifact of having to follow up the most famous movie of a legendary director.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

The Psycho sequels are the most severely underrated movies in horror history. It's almost certainly an artifact of having to follow up the most famous movie of a legendary director.

I mean the first sequel came out 23 years after the original, that doesn't help.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I mean the first sequel came out 23 years after the original, that doesn't help.

The Color of Money came out 25 years after The Hustler and is regarded more highly, if anything.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Much to the chagrin of my 12 year old self I gotta go with Psycho. Stronger sequels overall, and the original is one of the best horror movies ever made. RIP to those cool rear end dinos.

edit: It's a minor tragedy that Sleepaway Camp goes up against Evil Dead in the first round.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 23, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Much to the chagrin of my 12 year old self I gotta go with Psycho. Stronger sequels overall, and the original is one of the best horror movies ever made. RIP to those cool rear end dinos.

edit: It's a minor tragedy that Sleepaway Camp goes up against Evil Dead in the first round.

Yeah, Sleepaway Camp is hosed. I love both for different reasons, but Evil Dead is one of the few franchises in this league that has all good entries. Arguably could have been a 1st seed.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sorry if this is carrying over discussion from the horror thread, but does Jurassic Park even count as a horror franchise?

That said, there's some unfortunate matchups. I also lament Psycho's position right now and rated it in the top half of my bracket, so I'm surprised to see it be fighting for the bubble spot. Maybe it's cause too many people just think of it as a standalone film and don't consider the sequels? (Though, while 2 and 3 are shockingly good, the fourth one sucks).

But that said, Phantasm going up against Elm Street? Universal Monsters vs. Rob Zombie in the first round? TCM vs. Jaws? Man that's brutal.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The first Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorite movies (see avatar) but I'm going to have to go with Psycho as a franchise. If the Jurassic World movies didn't exist this might be a different conversation but those two really drag things down.

Also, this whole thing owns, great idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Sorry if this is carrying over discussion from the horror thread, but does Jurassic Park even count as a horror franchise?
That's why it ended up on the bubble I think, too many people left it off due to it being more adventure than horror