Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've been watching/rewatching some stuff for this thread, here's my "research":

Halloween 4/5/6 - I watched all three for the first time over the past week or so, so now I've seen every film in the series (although it's been so long for H20 + Resurrection that I barely remember them). 4 is a decent slasher but still a pale imitation of the original. 5 is boring apart from Loomis acting like a lunatic. 6 is misguided as hell but actually kinda fun in a dumb '90s sort of way - it's definitely not good, but I found it more entertaining that the other two for sure.

NoES 3 - I used to think this wasn't that great, but I really loved it this time around. It has some dumb moments (I especially didn't like the ending with John Saxon) but overall it's a blast and contains some of the best nightmare scenes in the whole franchise.

Ash vs Evil Dead - I'm not done with this yet (season 1 was a rewatch and now I'm about halfway through season 2) but it's so drat good. It's insane how gory and gross it is, not just for a TV show but just in general.

---------

So on Halloween vs the Lecterverse... I think the original Halloween is the best film out of both franchises, but Silence of the Lambs is a close second. Manhunter is great, but Red Dragon and Hannibal never did much for me. I haven't seen the TV show, I wish I had the time to get it in. Halloween has more good films in the series the Lecterverse does, and while there are definitely lower lows with Halloween, it's not enough to bring the franchise down below Lecter. Went with Halloween.

NoES vs Evil Dead - even though I enjoyed NoES 3 much more on this rewatch, Evil Dead is still my pick. As a concept, Freddy is one of the best movie monsters of all time, but very few of the films actually make it work. Evil Dead on the other hand only has one weaker entry (Army of Darkness), but even that is still fun as hell and blows the majority of the NoES films out of the water. Plus, Evil Dead II was probably the film that truly got me into horror beyond occasionally seeing popular stuff with friends, so I gotta go with my gut here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RESULTS!!

I'm in the middle of another project, but we have another upset, as the two seed knocks off the catbird franchise of nightmare

Frightful Four Voting in a few hours!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drat, I had this "Jason is better than Freddy" post all ready to go and I won't even need it now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Very real chance that Jason wins it all at this point.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Very real chance that Jason wins it all at this point.
Yeah, I can't imagine Halloween taking it and there's a lot of basic bitches who are just going to keep voting for it. There's not really an argument for Halloween whereas Lecteverse and TCM have a lot going for it against Friday.

I'm resigned to it probably winning after Universal, and I somewhat empathize with the argument that it's the MOST horror franchise, but if Evil Dead beats Romero, I'm punching a hole in a wall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine Halloween taking it and there's a lot of basic bitches who are just going to keep voting for it. There's not really an argument for Halloween

Halloween is sometimes scary and sometimes clever.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

34%!?

Evil Dead fuckboys just made my list.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Halloween is sometimes scary and sometimes clever.
Yeah, and? Like look Universal should beat Friday. Romero, Scream, Lecterverse should beat Friday, but we need to get rid of this simplified preceptive about Friday as the dumb franchise. 1 is an incredibly influential film, 2 and 4 are two of the greatest slashers ever made. 5 is as much an under-appreciated trash film as Halloween III. 6 is hilarious and a great should-have-been-the-ending. 7, 8, and X aren't good, but they still have good moments that stay fresh in my mind as opposed to Halloween 4 and 5 that I can barely keep straight in my head.

Halloween has one really good movie and two fine movies ('18 and H20) desperately trying to recapture the magic of the original. If you renamed Friday the 13th Part 2, 4, and 6 into different movies with some generic slasher, they would still be beloved films. Even Halloween 2, with its completely underserved consideration as one of the good Halloweens is at best competent, if you renamed to Hospital Massacre it would be this somewhat well regarded decent slasher that gets brought up every now and then.

I'm bummed with Friday taking this, but I hate the silly arguments against it and the implication that the craven and boring Halloween franchise has any value over it outside of the original entry.

Edit: I think this may be an overreaction from what you actually said but standing by it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine Halloween taking it and there's a lot of basic bitches who are just going to keep voting for it. There's not really an argument for Halloween whereas Lecteverse and TCM have a lot going for it against Friday.

Halloween's argument for winning it all is about higher highs and also longevity. Especially if you like the Zombie films and then the recent 2018 sequel/reboot, you've got an incredibly important series that's been ongoing for more than 40 years. None of the other three contenders can say they've been so consistently in there, helping to form and reform the genre over that length of time.

Friday the 13th had a good run of it but since Freddy vs. Jason in 2003 Jason has only appeared once on-screen, whereas Halloween has had two major resurgences during that time. Evil Dead can't claim to have the impact or overall presence in pop culture that Halloween has maintained since 1978. The Romero Dead films went to poo poo pretty quickly after the initial trilogy.

So there's an argument. I wouldn't have a problem with Halloween winning at all, and I may vote that way. I'm currently undecided. Are we considering video games?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 25, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Frightful Four is gonna be Friday vs Living Dead and Halloween vs Evil Dead just FYI

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Michael vs. Jason would be a completely appropriate Final and I would be totally happy with that. And it would be an incredibly tough decision.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It wouldn't be tough for me. I love Halloween, but none of the sequels or reboots even make my top 50. That's just not enough juice to beat Jason, who has several entries that I love and is way more of a character than Mr. Cypher.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man people really get in their feelings for some crummy but fun movies.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Really looking forward to Living Dead vs Evil Dead. Let's make it happen! Don't let these flabby, ho-hum slasher franchises get it the way of the dream finale.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm happy that Evil Dead won the last round by such a large margin. I'm unhappy that it's going to lose the next round by the same margin.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Really looking forward to Living Dead vs Evil Dead. Let's make it happen! Don't let these flabby, ho-hum slasher franchises get it the way of the dream finale.

:colbert:

Team ROMERO, anyway.

Thread has inspired watching a bunch of sequels I never would have bothered with before and totally digging them, thanks Shreknet.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Would be sad to have a slasher franchise, consisting mostly of mediocre or bad movies, deemed the best that the horror genre has to offer. I mean of course it's ultimately a popularity contest, but come on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

married but discreet posted:

Would be sad to have a slasher franchise, consisting mostly of mediocre or bad movies, deemed the best that the horror genre has to offer. I mean of course it's ultimately a popularity contest, but come on.

Not the best

The Most Horror. Friday the 13th is all horror, in all its forms, as much as it possibly could be.

Jason Voorhees will win and vindicate all that fell before it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

:colbert:

Team ROMERO, anyway.

Thread has inspired watching a bunch of sequels I never would have bothered with before and totally digging them, thanks Shreknet.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jason. I had fun with Michael. There's stuff to like there, and if one of them won it would be a respectable enough choice. Neither of them thrill me like Living Dead or Evil Dead though. Between those two franchises there are at least 6 of the greatest movies ever made. Between them it's going to be a Sophie's choice that will turn friend against friend, sister against sister, brother against brother. If however it comes down to Halloween vs Jason, it'll just be Jason winning, and people saying "Yeah, I guess."

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

With both polls finishing at 65.4% to 35.6%, I'm curious about the splits. Just a coincidence, or were there disproportionately large groups of Halloween+Ash and Hannibal+Freddy ballots?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Evil Dead II is so loving good. I remember getting it on DVD and being obsessed with the making of features, it probably had a lot to do with how much I ended up being into horror and specifically the fun stuff. I really never clicked with the other films, especially the Xena one. I REALLY DISLIKED the re-remake from a few years ago. Ash vs. Evil Dead really drags that entire franchise up by the balls and makes it worthy to be in the last 32 discussion best horror series.

If we talk "MOST HORROR" then we talk "MOST SERIAL"; and Evil Dead isn't in the top tier for either IMO.

Halloween's serial status is a loving mess, Friday the 13th is patchy but at least it tries and Living Dead is just loving perfect in so far as a continuous trilogy dealing with the same events. It's THE WIRE of horror movies, including the last one being a bit poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

If we talk "MOST HORROR" then we talk "MOST SERIAL"; and Evil Dead isn't in the top tier for either IMO.

Halloween's serial status is a loving mess, Friday the 13th is patchy but at least it tries and Living Dead is just loving perfect in so far as a continuous trilogy dealing with the same events. It's THE WIRE of horror movies, including the last one being a bit poo poo.

Continuity isn't everything though. I could turn that around and say Friday the 13th is even more impressive for how much ground it's covered in the genre. Just within Friday the 13th you have a Carrie sequel, a Frankenstein sequel, an Evil Dead sequel, an In Space sequel, a Godzilla Vs. sequel, and even a very solid remake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

married but discreet posted:

Would be sad to have a slasher franchise, consisting mostly of mediocre or bad movies, deemed the best that the horror genre has to offer.

I agree but

Burkion posted:

Not the best

Yeah. I think the wonkiness of this bracket so far is that a lot of people are choosing based on way different criteria—favorite, objective best, scariest, most fun, most vital, most foundational, highest prestige, most representative of the genre, highest average across series, which you'd choose if it erased the other from history, etc.

That's why I think Halloween is going to beat Jason—it can be all of those to many people, but Jason can only be, like, one or two at best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

With this coming to close I'm thinking of running the NIT. 32 franchises that didn't make the cut facing off. Will be a lot more stuff we aren't familiar with but a few snubs that would probably be locks for the final four. Might be fun to expose people to stuff they don't watch or might be even less surprising than this tourney.

Filling out the bracket would probably be me starting a thread for people to post ballots and then we add up totals. Seems the fairest way with such a wide field and all the obvious guys gone. A little work but nothing that can't be done in Excel. Would have to verify criteria like if remakes count or thematic franchises. Stuff we've debated through this but that Shrek saved us from arging over by deciding himself.

Since Jason is probably going to win this tournament I was thinking of maybe running a brackets contest with my slightly used Friday the 13th blu ray going to the winner. Viewed once, I just don't like Jason. But you guys love him so one of you should have it and it would be a fitting prize. Unless he blows this tourney and Ash or Romero or Michael take him down. Which I'd love but I'm not giving you my Evil Dead or Halloween blu rays. I do have like 10 copies of Night of the Living Dead though.

Bracket tiebreaker would be something like guessing the number of total kills in the final matchup? I dunno.

What do you guys think? Overkill? Too much? Wait? I'm a little conflicted on it myself but its a hot and humid day and I think I'm just tired. But I could just offer up the Jason set in October. Do my own 100 Years Challenge where you gotta get a movie from 13 decades to get in the raffle or something. I dunno.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Continuity isn't everything though. I could turn that around and say Friday the 13th is even more impressive for how much ground it's covered in the genre. Just within Friday the 13th you have a Carrie sequel, a Frankenstein sequel, an Evil Dead sequel, an In Space sequel, a Godzilla Vs. sequel, and even a very solid remake.

I might be reading you wrong but I don't see how films being varied and eclectic are mutually exclusive from being serial? Jason literally wears the continuity on him, his battle damage and degradation of Crystal Lake lay testament to how much has happened in the series.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IT IS TIME!

VOTE: https://forms.gle/PhLFzkrE9LCLG2b5A

Voting will stay open until the end of the month

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 25, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

With this coming to close I'm thinking of running the NIT. 32 franchises that didn't make the cut facing off. Will be a lot more stuff we aren't familiar with but a few snubs that would probably be locks for the final four. Might be fun to expose people to stuff they don't watch or might be even less surprising than this tourney.

Filling out the bracket would probably be me starting a thread for people to post ballots and then we add up totals. Seems the fairest way with such a wide field and all the obvious guys gone. A little work but nothing that can't be done in Excel. Would have to verify criteria like if remakes count or thematic franchises. Stuff we've debated through this but that Shrek saved us from arging over by deciding himself.

Since Jason is probably going to win this tournament I was thinking of maybe running a brackets contest with my slightly used Friday the 13th blu ray going to the winner. Viewed once, I just don't like Jason. But you guys love him so one of you should have it and it would be a fitting prize. Unless he blows this tourney and Ash or Romero or Michael take him down. Which I'd love but I'm not giving you my Evil Dead or Halloween blu rays. I do have like 10 copies of Night of the Living Dead though.

Bracket tiebreaker would be something like guessing the number of total kills in the final matchup? I dunno.

What do you guys think? Overkill? Too much? Wait? I'm a little conflicted on it myself but its a hot and humid day and I think I'm just tired. But I could just offer up the Jason set in October. Do my own 100 Years Challenge where you gotta get a movie from 13 decades to get in the raffle or something. I dunno.

I'm furloughed from work until July 4th, so anything to chase away the cabin fever. Plus it'd be fun to dive into some real trash. If this thread has taught me anything, it's that a lot of the "bad" sequels are actually very likable. Except for Hellraiser, those are just irredeemable.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
you killed freddy you goddamn monsters

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

you killed freddy you goddamn monsters

Join the Friday the 13th side.

Let him cleanse the nonbelievers

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
F13th should've been eliminated two tiers ago, y'all high as hell

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I hate knowing that republicans get to experience this joy by being the #silentmajority and doing so much #winning.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This was.a no brainer. Halloween is a great film that is only cheapened by its sequels. Evil Dead is a flawed franchise, but charming and it has a sense of completeness that I do value. So, Evil Dead wins.

I know I've defended Friday, and there isn't a question that it should win if it goes against Halloween. Still, Romero has always been the one to take this outside of Universal. Romero didn't make a zombie movie in the sense that his creatures aren't really zombies. They're manifestations of very twentieth century fears and anxiety best summed up. You can't just look at Romero's influence being literal zombie movies. His influence stretched to The People Under the Stairs, Get Out, It Follows, movies that build new monsters to reflect deeper truths about ourself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I voted Evil Dead with a heavy heart, but it is the more consistent franchise.

Romero over Friday is a no brainer, though. Friday is flat out the worst surviving competitor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a little bittersweet but Evil Dead is a fairly easy vote for me. I love Halloween and am much more into the sequels and overall franchise than most here, but ED's been my surprise favorite for a few rounds now because of its consistency and the 2013 movie and Ash vs Evil Dead really expanding it beyond just the quirky trilogy I loved as a teen. It bumped it up to one of the big boys and I didn't quite realize that until this tournament and a rewatch of the series.

Romero is easier without the bitterness. Night is one of my favorites and Dawn, Day, and even Land are actually a really strong run of sequels compared to most. Sure, Diary and Survival suck but every franchise has those and I think the reason Romero's doesn't quite stand out to us is becuase it doesn't have that uniting link in front of the camera be it a hero or villain or story. But the link is Romero and he would be a fine winner. Friday... well, if you don't have anything nice to say...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

ED's been my surprise favorite for a few rounds now because of its consistency and the 2013 movie and Ash vs Evil Dead really expanding it beyond just the quirky trilogy I loved as a teen. It bumped it up to one of the big boys and I didn't quite realize that until this tournament and a rewatch of the series.
Honestly this (and the longforms by TimelessAppeal) has been my favorite takeaway from all this, not just people voting and campaigning but actually doing rewatches (maybe not of whole series, but at least some of the more maligned franchises that survived the knockout rounds) and finding out their memories were not as charitable (or too charitable) to the originals.

I still think both Alien and Final Destination are better than any of the franchises that beat them, but whatever.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

This was the easiest round we've had in ages, with Evil Dead and Romero both going up against much weaker competition than they had in the last round. Even though Romero doesn't win on proportion of good movies as handily as Evil Dead does, the highs are so much higher than Friday that it feels even less fair. I do feel like I've been poo poo-talking F13 a lot this tournament, and while it deserves most of that I should be clear that it's not a bad franchise or anything - every single entry is at least some kind of weird, and that counts for a lot. It's just that whenever an entry does something spectacularly well it fumbles three other things and we never get a standout movie from the lot. We might be looking at a more even fight if the MPAA hadn't butchered the otherwise coolest one, or if Jason X's middle section hadn't been so much flabbier than I remembered. Still, it's merciful to put the old boy down here before next round involves Evil Dead vs. a literal Evil Dead fan film and it's just embarrassing for Jason.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Look, I love Jason and all, but voting for Friday over Romero should be punishable by exile to Siberia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
OP, votes are locked for re-voting. My waffling brain can't handle that level of commitment yet.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This thread is ultimately going to tear apart this community more severely than Kvlt! calling people posers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

I hate knowing that republicans get to experience this joy by being the #silentmajority and doing so much #winning.

I'm not intelligent enough to understand this comment