Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Hammer Dracula , easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

None of the Psycho films are actually bad. They at worst are mediocre in some parts but all are excellent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The plot of Jurassic Park is Mad Scientist and B Movie. It just has a budget. B Movies count as a sub genre of horror similar to exploitation flicks. So Jurassic Park is a horror movie. Its a monster movie where the monsters are dinosaurs.

However only the first one is good

First blow out is definitely Exorcist v The Purge. No way Exorcist doesn't make it to the final bracket.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 24, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

JLH all the way.

You are loving crazy

My prediction is that F13 get's knocked out first round.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I stand by my assertion that F13 is going to get knocked out early if not in the very first round.

Pittsburgh bracket is going to be brutal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

As good a the first Puppet Master was. One of sequels is basically white power Nazi propaganda so it should lose just because of being disqualified.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No way thats not the NOTLD match up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are equals for different reasons they're both amazing. Gremlins 2 may be the greatest horror sequel and direct follow up film ever made .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is it with you people and Lexx??

Its a low budget bugfuck insane series. Also it use to air on Scifi a good bit back in the day and I bet most people watched the edited version of the show.

Also they travel around space in a giant dick and balls.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Under no circumstances do you "gotta watch" Exorcist 2 in order to watch 3. That's like saying you gotta gouge out your eyes before you go to the Louvre.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Even if the rest of the Exorcist movie were total trash and other than 2 they weren't just on its own Exorcist may be one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

No way it doesn't make it to the final bracket.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

TCM is possibly the greatest horror movie ever made you loving posers. Jaws has one good film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sarx posted:

Edit: I am dumb and could have just read to see that yes, The Conjuring does include Annabelle, Nun, etc.

Also, is Blade even a horror franchise?

It had a TV series and it has multiple films and it about Vampires and killing of those vampires. Fits in the sub category of Action Horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Phantasm sequels are mediocre at best. NOES is gonna destroy it. NOES has 4 Entries of Excellent as good if not better than the original and 2 now Cult Classic films.

NOES - C
NOES 2
NOES 3
New Nightmare
Freddy V Jason if that counts.

It just no contest. Especially with NOES 2 in there. As its gained as much attention now as the original. There's literally scholarly articles now written about NOES 2.

Just

No

Way

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Doesn't Ju-On have like 36 movies in its franchise or some weird interconnected movie poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, there's a 4th Blade film? Are we talking about the Sticky Fingaz series? Or are we talking about Hatchet?

There's a Blade TV Series and its actually not terrible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anyone who votes for Leprechaun over Childs Play is a loving narc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm attempting to rewatch the F13 films since they're all on Shudder 1 through 8 and goddamn is it really hard to get through the first 2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Part 6 is where all the mythos of Jason comes from where we get zombie Jason, death by drowning. 6 also has a cool self-referential theme throughout.

6 is the best Jason really.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Put my vote in for Universal Monsters and NOTLD.

Alien and Aliens are great horror movies, but do not have cultural impact that Romero's Zombie films did. There's not knock off thousands of "zombie" alien films.

Romero gave birth to 1 million movies. Alien and Aliens just don't have the same impact.

Same thing with Universal.

Jason is just a knock off Frankenstein.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anyone who votes against NOTLD is a NARC

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If Jason gets to the final round, those who think 8 is the best film will be the first against the wall.

Part 6
Part X
Part 3
Part 4
Part 7
Part 8
Part Hell
Part 2
Part 1
Part 5

Fuuuucking fight me

Begun the Ranking Wars have

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 30, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

I refuse while there is still a chance to put that tired series down. If the nightmare scenario of Halloween v F13 is the final, I’m all for drowning out the actual vote with a massive flame war of deciding which F13 is least bad.

Too Late, you have already been conscripted into the war.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Stop loving with this tired Friday bullshit and let's do it....

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Land of the Dead.
5. 2000s remake of Dawn
6. 1990s remake of Night
5. Diary of the Dead
6. Survival of the Dead

1. Evil Dead 2
2. Army of Darkness
3. Evil Dead Remake
5. Evil Dead OG

This is a war crime

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ash wouldn't survive in the Romeroverse. You're talking about someone who went back to the cabin twice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Real Sophies choice bracket. Well its Romero all the way for me really except for the Gore Category because it NOTLD vs Evil Dead and that's not really a contest

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its been established that Evil Dead 2 is sequel and not a remake. The first 20 minutes just reiterate what happened the second time Ash went to the cabin. Ash goes to the cabin twice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 1, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sorry taht should read second time. Ash goes to the cabin with his first girlfriend and friends in the first film. He escapes . The second movie is the second time he goes back to the cabin.

My proof is the audio commentary where they say " Ash goes back to the cabin a second time".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm right because my answer is funnier and cooler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Campbell was a series regular on Burn Notice that USA show for like 4 or 5 years and some TV movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

People are discounting the later films in the Romero verse where Land of the Dead is just as good as Day IMO, so you have 4 feature length films that stand out. Like Land of the Dead is legit. Diary and Survival not so much but their still worth the time to watch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The special effects and make up in Day of the Dead are superior to anything prior and still hold up to this day as some of the most gruesome effects put on film.

Savini wanted to recreate what he saw in Vietnam so all his stuff has a realism to it.

Day of the Dead may not be my favorite Romero but it's special effects are phenomenal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It strange that Romero couldn't get a budget for the last two since Land of the Dead did really well considering its total cost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think you also have to consider the director of the films as well because Romero made more than just NOTLD , even though this is a series VS series. Romero as a director edges out Sam Raimi.

Also, The Crazies is a spiritual sequel to NOTLD.

You could argue that Romero changed modern horror completely , because NOTLD is the first film to terrify the audience. Not in a campy way, not in a Tingler or Universal way , none of those are terrifying, but in a legit this is disturbing in a way that is indescribable..

Evil Dead just doesn't have the same impact as NOTLD.

If there was no NOTLD , we would not have TCM. NOTLD paved the way for Evil Dead to even be made. Its arguable the first modern horror movie. No NOTLD No TCM , The Excorcist, Alien etc..

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Martin

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I dunno it may be possible on short notice to do a "showing" of the winner.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No way Carpenter would not win that. Best Horror director is a clinch for him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Not really happy with the results but it was fun to see how it all turned out. Now we get to vote for director!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

Oh that's going to be a fight

Carpenter's easily the #1 Seed.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like consistency is going to keep coming up with directors. I'd love to have a vote that's worst movie vs worst movie.

If you go with consistency then that's a real tough one because Cronenberg has yet to ever make a bad film. Like at all. All of his entries into horror are excellent.

Its a tough category to vote for

Rankings for I guess top 4

John Carpenter
Lucio Fulci
James Whale
George Romero

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 8, 2020