Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Much to the chagrin of my 12 year old self I gotta go with Psycho. Stronger sequels overall, and the original is one of the best horror movies ever made. RIP to those cool rear end dinos.

edit: It's a minor tragedy that Sleepaway Camp goes up against Evil Dead in the first round.

Yeah, Sleepaway Camp is hosed. I love both for different reasons, but Evil Dead is one of the few franchises in this league that has all good entries. Arguably could have been a 1st seed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Sorry if this is carrying over discussion from the horror thread, but does Jurassic Park even count as a horror franchise?

I'd say at least the first two, and large parts of the 3rd are horror.

The first scene of Jurassic Park is a horror scene. A man being eaten alive by a raptor. Then it goes into adventure film and sci-fi territory in the first act, only to return to horror with the release of the T-rex and other dinosaurs. The T-Rex and the raptors are designed like creature feature films and monster movies. The adventure segments are always in-between the horror moments, where people are being devoured by flesh eating creatures.

Lost World also has a horror opening, with a little girl being devoured by dinosaurs, again in tone with creature feature films. A lot more of the film is adventure in an exotic location, with a few horror moments (the RV segment, the raptors, the man getting eaten by a T-rex once a snake crawls in his shirt), but the first two acts are a set-up for the 3rd act, a huge tonal shift into a Kaiju film territory, with it being a weird Americanized Gojira, which we consider horror.

Jurassic Park 3 is more of an action/adventure movie, but the whole pterodactyl plot is straight out of monster movies.

Jurassic World basically becomes Piranha 3D half-way through.

Didn't see Jurassic World 2.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I dunno, don't get me wrong I adore Jurassic Park it's one my all timers, but I just don't see it as horror even if it's got suspense and some scares. I think it's overwhelmingly an adventure movie in the classic mold, which is why I put it near the bottom of my rankings.

Even if we're considering it a horror franchise, I ranked it low because only the first one is exceptional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

So looking at the bracket I gotta level here: I really hope Texas Chainsaw knocks out Halloween. The only individual film on here better than the original TCM is Night of the Living Dead and then the sequels just go off the rails in all sorts of directions. Truly one of the all time greats and while I get why it's not a number one seed it's just impeccable and deserves to make it to the finals.

The thing is, 2 of the TCM are amazing all-timers, and the original reboot is a solid entry, if my memory serves me well.

But, Halloween includes Halloween, Halloween 3, Halloween (2018), and also Danielle Harris killing it in Halloween 4 & 5. And Laurie Strode is a better protagonist than any of the TCM protagonists.

So Halloween might pull it.

I wish they didn't go head-to-head so early, though. edit: Hell, we may see an upset and see Halloween vs Predator.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'll be voting for some upsets though. Return of the Living Dead over Night of the Living Dead!

This is my vote for sure.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would argue that Return of the Living Dead Part 3 is the culmination of Yuzna's punk-rock body horror. Yes, you can say Society and Bride of Re-Animator are his best or most iconic, but I would say that RotLD Part 3 is the masterwork of his aesthetic.

Shame Part 2 is the weakest link.

edit: The other thing I'm considered in my votes is Rewatchability.

Night/Dawn/Day are all objectively better movies than RotlD 1-3, but I'm more willing to throw on Return of the Living Dead 1 or 3 before I put on any of Romero's Dead.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 23, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Subspecies probably had a good chance of making it far. It's a step above Puppet Master. None of the entries ever enter Very Good, but they begin with a hot streak of 3/5s for like four movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure Shreknet is already aware of this, but bitching about the decisions of the "committee" is a long-standing tradition of bracketology so please don't take offense.

My main campaign for this round is I Know What You Did Last Summer. Now, let's not get carried away, I Know What You Did Last Summer is not great. But I saw it when I was still young enough to get scared and you know what? A creepy dude hunting high school kids with a hook scared me.

Underworld is mildly entertaining but it also has stretches that are very boring(throughout the series) and the action is really not very good. It's supposed to be like an action/horror mix and neither of them really delivers.

I remember I Know What You Did Last Summer was the talked about movie of '97 and '98 (in my world). I would have been in elementary school at the time, so I guess it was that perfect mix of "scary & mysterious but not violent and gory or sexual" PG-13, so plenty of kids got to see it to talk about it. Everyone would have been old enough to know what Scream is, but not old enough to have seen it, so IKWYDLS was a major talking point. My mom even watched it, thinking it was more of a mystery than a slasher, and she never watches horror movies. I remember asking her a lot of questions about what it was. I don't think I actually watched it until I was 12 or 13, and it was officially over-shadowed by Scream and the original parody in Scary Movie.

By then everyone had moved onto The Ring as the big movie to talk about. I remember when EVERYONE was talking about The Ring.

I wonder what scary movies kids in elementary schools talk about now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JLH all the way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Yeah sorry, current situation is making everyone a bit thirsty I suppose.

I'm pleased with Psycho knocking out Jurassic Park! Now in my entirely uninformed opinion of having watched Psycho and not a single Friday the 13th, I think Psycho should knock out that franchise as well.
I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?\

Another series we missed is Ring/Ringu

Feast is the convergence of early 00's meta horror and early 00's edgelord humor. Jason Mewes plays himself, a woman gets mouth-raped by an alien monster including her coughing up alien monster cum which is played for laughs, and characters are introduced with names like "Heroine #2" and "Boss Man". It's not entirely irredeemable: the monster effects are good, the physical effects and body horror in general are good, you get to see a few recognizable faces like Judah Friedlander.

In general, it's tone has aged poorly and is pretty off-putting. They kill off characters willy-nilly, but instead of the intended surprise of subversion, it's just kinda mean-spirited and in bad taste.

I can handle bad taste when it's fun or absurd--Street Trash, Terror Firmer, certain Full Moon films--but Feast is just dour.

Feast came into the public awareness and gained a cult interest/following from being the subject production of Project Greenlight season 3, and Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and Wes Craven's involvement. It's really the only film I know off-hand from that show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Feast is memorable because it was the product of a reality show called Project Greenlight, and had some prominent producers like Ben Affleck. So it was more high profile at the time than it probably would've been otherwise.

Goddamnit Fran

Great minds post alike!

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone should see Heartbreakers immediately. It's a gender-flipped Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Sigourney Weaver and JLH as mother-and-daughter con artists, and Ray Liotta playing Henry Hill.

I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember it being one of the raunchiest PG-13 movies of that decade.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Am I right to remember that along with being a Project Greenlight film Feast is notable as being one of the films Jason Mewes' buddies made in an effort to clean him up? Like "get your act clean and we'll make a horror movie you can star in"? Or am I confusing it with Jay & Silent Bob or something?

Man there so many throwaway franchises n this bracket but that Universal Monsters vs Zombie kinda makes me sad. And Psycho will be the first of many I'm sad to see fall to Jason.

Pretty sure you're confusing it with Clerks 2. Jason was still an active addict during the filming of Feast.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's what makes Leprechaun so bad though. They have good make up and Davis being really game and it's just constantly squandered.

The first movie also has a really offensive mentally ill character and can't decide if Jennifer Anniston is 26 or 14.

Jennifer Anniston can't figure out her character from scene to scene. It's so inconsistent that the one strong player in the movie besides the monster is actually the weakest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I voted for Puppetmaster but I'm actually happy Leprecaun won because I've only seen the first two and I'm gonna watch the rest of them in April. Never seen In Space of In The Hood. So my vote in the next matchup will be more informed.

They are terrible. :(

I actually like Puppetmasters badness and have watched the series multiple times, and I can't stand Leprechaun...

I'm gonna watch a few of the Leprechaun sequels to see if I've softened, but, uh...I doubt it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna be real salty if the Universals fall to Jason, but with Psycho nearly knocking Jason off I now have renewed hope that he may be a paper tiger.

Although I guess they have to get past Chucky first. I can't believe Chucky is a 7th seed and Wishmaster is a 3. How did that happen?

I think there's always going to be a disconnect of what movies people prefer when it's an abstract thought experiment vs a tangible written order like a voting system. That and how the series as a whole stacks up. For Wishmaster, you get TWO good movies and one stinker. With Chucky, you get TWO good movies, a stinker, and then a whole slew of sequels of varying qualities that are tonally different than the originals, which makes it a little harder to quantify. I don't have to think about a bunch of movies movies with Wishmaster, I know 2/3s are good. And with a sliding scale of ranking them along with 60+ others, that makes the muddling weird.

The thing about Jason is his movies are that perfect mix of low-brow horror, recognition, and crowd-pleasing. I think anyone could pick their worst Jason movie, get a group of 4 people together, watch it, and still have a good time. That means a lot.

Compared to Psycho, which has two sequels not many people watch because it's very easy to slip into the mindset of "You can't make a good sequel to Psycho, so why even watch it?" It could be the Terminator 2 of horror sequels, but that doesn't mean anything if no one watches it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Ah gently caress, I was specifically holding off my vote until the weekend cause I thought we'd have time until monday. Please give us more of a heads up next time.
loving shameful voting of Underworld and Leprechaun, smh.

With this in mind, I can change the thread title to reflect the voting deadline, if I have notice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Silent Night Deadly Night series comes off as weirdly misogynistic. One of the more unpleasant slasher franchises.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't feel bad about that one the way I do with some of the others. I've never seen any Piranha and maybe there's a great movie or two. But like, I can't imagine it ever topping the Alien franchise.

Piranha 1 and 3D are really fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I haven't seen Ginger Snaps Back, but Ginger Snaps 2 is a lot better than it has any right to be

That's because Emily Perkins in an underrated actress, especially in the horror genre.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching the Leprechauns.

The third one is the only one close to being "good" and watchable. Leprechaun in Space is really annoying, and completely forgets the series's own premise. It's like if the 4th Elm Street movie forgot that Freddy only appears in nightmares.

The series is just not good.

I'm still going to rewatch both of the Leprechaun in the Hoods movie, because what's the point of rewatching them if I'm not going to review the most audacious ones, but I'm not happy about it.

I can't believe this trash beat Puppetmaster. Puppetmaster is fun trash, and y'all let Craig S. Zahler's ONE entry among thirteen ruin a fun series with at least four fun entries.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 30, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Puppetmaster is good for, like, 2 movies? Then the puppets aren't as fun and Toulon gets some weird backstory poo poo.

Lep 1 is an ok horror film. Lep 3 just leans into it being a DTV fest and is dumb as all gently caress and an enjoyable drunk movie. Lep in Space ends with his disembodied hand giving everyone the finger as it floats in space. Cmon man!

Puppet Master 2 & 3 fully dig into the premise of killer puppets. Puppet Master 4 & 5 still have some good stop-motion, and brings in the insane concept of small aliens fighting the puppets.

I also like the premise of the original Puppet Master, but a lot of people understandably find it boring. Not me, though!

Curse of Puppet Master, as terrible as it is, it my favorite of the "this is entertainingly bad" aspects of the series.

Leprechaun 4 has some really fun things in it. I like the body horror aspects. The problem is everything good about the movie has nothing to do with the Leprechaun, which, again, has dropped the premise established in the first three movies.

I do like M Sinistari's take on that, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I have no actual evidence or argument of this but I suspect the number of people who have actually watched the Human Centipede and its sequels to judge it fairly are greatly outnumbered by the number of people who are vaguely aware of it and got scared away.

But I could be projecting.

Human Centipede 1 & 2 are better movies--they're objectively good, in my opinion--but I'd rather watch any Ghoulies entry instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I've actually never seen Predator.

I think it's safe to say it lives up to the hype! Haven't seen any of the sequels myself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarx posted:

There is one good Predator movie. Is that enough to overcome how many stupid but fun Critters movies there are? I don't know. I think I have to back Critters there.

And while Jaws vs. TCM as singular movies would be a difficult choice, as franchises it's not even close. There are no good Jaws sequels. Most of the TCM sequels are at least watchable and 2 is almost as good as the first one.

Predator 2 gets a lot of love in CineD. I'm gonna watch it before I put in my vote.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to watch Critters 3 and Predator 2 for that decision.

Critters 1 is okay, Critters 2 is great, but Predator is a must-see movie, and it's a slasher where the teens have been replaced with an elite military killing force who have no idea they're actually in a horror movie. And it's kinda hard to separate Predator from it's behind the scenes documentary If It Bleeds We Can Kill It.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Please God don't. Watch Critters 4 though, it's significantly better than 3 despite the two movies having been made back to back.

It's funny you say this. I just watched it, and thought it was better than the original, but a small step below Critters 2. I was going to stop there, but I guess I'll check out 4.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:

Hello. You are hereby required for mandatory volunteer participation in the April Horror Movie Test Experiment Challenge.

Please follow our Very Friendly Counselor to the Cinema Discusso Test Facility, where you will be debriefed on how you can (and will) be the best Guinea Pig.

That is all.

:siren:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarx posted:

2 is still solid and 5 is actually really good, even in spite of adding Jamie Kennedy to the cast. Also 3 introduces rear end Blasters... so... its pretty important. 4 and 6 are terrible though.

Haven't seen 5, but I'll cosign that Tremors 2 is good with great moments, and is only hampered by a smaller cast and body count.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Critters vs Predator talk

So here's the rub I'm faced with.

Predator begins as an action movie, with a squad of elite commandos doing a mission in Val Verde. They unknowingly walk into a creature feature with hints of a slasher. The entire second act becomes a slasher, and the entire third act is a Final Girl situation, with Arnold as the final girl. If Jaws is a horror movie, then Predator is even more of a horror movie.

Predator 2 is really loving fun. It's a flawed movie that is elevated with an amazing cast, a (mostly) good-looking production, and a fun story. Like Aliens, it has the impossible task of trying to follow up a self-contained film that's basically perfect. And while it isn't as objectively an achievement of sequel-dom like Aliens, it's a great movie that begins to fall apart at the end.

The problem is, it's an action movie and a thriller. There are horrific sequences, but they still are tonally closer to thriller than outright horror. Predator is structurally similar to a slasher. Predator 2 is structurally similar to Darkman, or kinda like Se7en if it had shoot-outs.

The Critters films are unquestionably horror comedies. They are closer to comedy than horror, though!

Are we considering AVP as part of the Predator bracket, or the Alien bracket, or it's own thing? Predator, without the AVPs, has four entries all it's own. As does Alien (plus the Prometheus/Covenant timeline). Cuz at least the first AVP movie is a horror movie.

I also haven't seen Predators or The Predator yet, so that still should be considered.

But the question remains:

Critters are mostly comedies (tonally) with horror. Their best is still a 3 star movie. Predator is an action horror movie, and it's a 5 star movie. Predator 2 is an action thriller, and I'd generously give it 4 stars, because it's still better than Critters at it's best. Without seeing it, I'd wager that Predators is still probably better than the three Critters movies I've seen, as much as I like Critters 2 and 3.

So it may be controversial, but I'm going with Predator.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

The AvPs are included in consideration for the canon of both Alien and Predator

Well then that just cinches it for Predator. AVP is still better than the original Critters. And I'm not a fan of AVP.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

He liked Critters 3,and then he said this. It's time to make a discreet phone call, I'm afraid.

Critters 3's puppets have more articulation, and they made more of a point to make certain Critters more unique. For a little monster movie, that goes a long way.

I'm also not a huge fan of the intergalactic bounty hunter origin story of Critters 1. I think Critters 2 handles that better and also has a better grasp of the sense of humor. Critters 2 is the highlight of the series.

I still think the original Critters is better than the original Ghoulies for similar reasons, and is flawed for similar reasons. Critters has better puppets that Ghoulies, but both don't understand that the small monsters are enough for the movie. Same with Leprechaun. The titular monster should be enough for 90 minutes, we don't need secondary villains/heroes to propel the story if your monster is good enough!

Critters 3 does the rude bait-n-switch with the box art showing Critters infesting a city, when most of the action takes place in a neighborhood of a small town. So that sucks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The first Tremors is a LOT better than Prom Night 1 or 2 though. Not just as good or a little better. A lot better. It's one of the best monster movies ever made.

Tremors 2 is also better than Prom Night.

Tremors 3 is also better than Prom Night.

It's me, I'm the person that doesn't like Prom Night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It looks like I'm gonna have a few mini-marathons ahead of me before I vote. There's a few series involved with sequels I'm unfamiliar with.

Nightmare on Elm Street is gonna be pretty hard to beat. I could happily watch Elm Streets 1-4 pretty much anytime, and they're great under any context. I also have watched Freddy Vs. Jason a lot. So that's 5 fun movies, which'll be tough to beat. I need to revisit New Nightmare, though.

edit: I think the secret underdog here, one that's bound to upset a bunch of favorites, is Evil Dead. That's FOUR great movies, three of which have been classics since release. And whether or not it counts in the voting, it even somehow broke the curse of a mediocre television show based off a franchise with Ash vs Evil Dead, which never had a bad season.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

Wrong. Sleepaway Camp 2 is really fun and charming, and Sleepaway Camp 3, while a step down from the first two, has a lot of pre-Scream meta-Slasher humor to it. It's a solid series, and if it weren't against GOAT Evil Dead series, it'd be a contender for much longer.

Sleepaway Camp 2 gives the Angela role to Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela Springsteen, and she's adorable and energetic in the role and I love her.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

My money is on Evil Dead to be the Freddy Killer in this division.

I mean, is it even gambling if it's a sure thing?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to watch some Cubes and Underworlds before I cast my vote, fam.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty obvious matchups in this bracket/round actually. Only Wishmaster vs. Underworld has the potential to be a close race.

I'll be voting Wishmaster. For me the Underworld films feel more dated with each passing year.

You really don't. But I guess there's no downside to it, you can use them for the challenge after all.

It is my duty to at least watch two entries of Cube and Underworld.

I already know my voting, but it just feels more fair if I actually have a fresh idea of what I'm voting against.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Child's Play is obviously going to beat Leprechaun, but I'm really glad that I went back and watched some of the Leprechaun films. The first one sucks on toast, but the rest are really a lot more fun than people give them credit for.

I will concede that 3 and In The Hood are high points of the series.

Still pissed about Puppet Master getting snubbed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm glad I did watch a bunch of the Leprechaun sequels this month, I feel more qualified to vote on this matchup. But Child's Play is the clear winner, there's really no individual Leprechaun film that is on the same level as Child's Play 1 or 2. Especially Child's Play 2, which is one of the all time great horror sequels. Leprechaun can't match that.

It's actually a good indicator of the type of franchise that stood a good chance of going deep in this tournament. If you've got a Bride of Frankenstein/Evil Dead 2/Child's Play 2/Hellraiser 2/Dream Warriors level sequel that is a big leg up against most of the competition. It's what I think is gonna end up taking down Halloween in the end, there aren't really any truly great sequels. Carpenter's original is carrying the weight of the entire franchise on it's back.

Halloween II isn't that bad. It's a huge step down from Halloween 1 because we don't get much time with Laurie, the hospital setting limits the Halloween-ness of it, it introduces the worst aspect of the franchise with Michael and Laurie being siblings, but it still has quite a bit going for it--the tracking shot of Michael after getting shot, the blood drip death, Loomis inadvertently killing Ben Tramer, etc.

Halloween 1-4 are all bare minimum good. 4 has some flaws, but Danielle Harris is so good in it. Having rewatched the series again alongside the In Myers We Trust podcast, I really like that original quadrilogy. 5, 6, H20 are all kinda bad, but Resurrection is at least insane. And 2018 is really good! And Zombie's Halloween 2 is good.

So that's a solid 6 movies I'd go to bat for, with Resurrection being more fun for me than a Leprechaun sequel.

Halloween 2 has that weird in-between with the other major franchises. Friday the 13th Part 2 is a huge step up from the first, Child's Play 2 found success with More of The Same But Better approach, TCM2 is a great sequel doing something different than the original. I'd rank Halloween 2 below those. But compared to Nightmare on Elm Street 2 being a weird misstep, and Scream 2 being redundant and mostly unnecessary (with a handful of good ideas), I'd say Halloween 2 (and 4!) are above those.