Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cavauro posted:

Thank you for being fair to Jim

For a guy who's spent his entire adult life and his teens working in deep south wrestling promotions, surrounded by some of the worst people, Cornette is a comparably decent guy. Having watched his takes on Brawl for All and Owen, it's clear that while he's super opinionated and petty, he does care about the careers and well-being of workers, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say about most promoters and/or trainers. But maybe it's not fair to compare him to Russo or McMahon. Of course, then I'm reminded of what he thinks of women, or using racist 40-year old jokes, so ... I dunno. I'm from NC and have a lot of Trump-loving older relatives, so maybe I have more tolerance for this sort of thing.

But it's always bugged me to see Cornette complain about workers with lovely gimmicks/angles. Like, we get that a certain gimmick isn't going to work - but blame the writer/booker, not the worker saddled with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

For a guy who's spent his entire adult life and his teens working in deep south wrestling promotions, surrounded by some of the worst people, Cornette is a comparably decent guy. Having watched his takes on Brawl for All and Owen, it's clear that while he's super opinionated and petty, he does care about the careers and well-being of workers, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say about most promoters and/or trainers. But maybe it's not fair to compare him to Russo or McMahon. Of course, then I'm reminded of what he thinks of women, or using racist 40-year old jokes, so ... I dunno. I'm from NC and have a lot of Trump-loving older relatives, so maybe I have more tolerance for this sort of thing.

But it's always bugged me to see Cornette complain about workers with lovely gimmicks/angles. Like, we get that a certain gimmick isn't going to work - but blame the writer/booker, not the worker saddled with poo poo.

Someone who calls Muslims cave people, who slaps his trainees, who uses the n word, who is hugely misogynistic, racist and homophobic is not a comparably decent guy. He wrote an insane letter that if he could figure out a way to murder Vince Russo and not go to prison he would. There are a lot of actual decent people in the wrestling business, Jim Cornette is not one of them.

https://twitter.com/stopmestar/status/1195711141990801408

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Red posted:

Huh? Is this a parody of something?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Someone who calls Muslims cave people, who slaps his trainees, who uses the n word, who is hugely misogynistic, racist and homophobic is not a comparably decent guy. He wrote an insane letter that if he could figure out a way to murder Vince Russo and not go to prison he would. There are a lot of actual decent people in the wrestling business, Jim Cornette is not one of them.

Jeeeeesus Christ, I take it back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

duckdealer posted:

Huh? Is this a parody of something?

I can believe someone not familiar with Jim's past beyond what Jim wants you to hear of Jim's past would think not-too-badly of him

One glance at the fact we have a currently-53-page-long thread devoted to quarantining Jim talk because he's such a piece of poo poo it actively makes other threads difficult to want to read would snap a good amount of us out of that, but I can believe not everyone knows about even the anti-Muslim rants, even though those were like the first things I heard about him in the last decade post-TNA/ROH

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I can believe someone not familiar with Jim's past beyond what Jim wants you to hear of Jim's past would think not-too-badly of him

One glance at the fact we have a currently-53-page-long thread devoted to quarantining Jim talk because he's such a piece of poo poo it actively makes other threads difficult to want to read would snap a good amount of us out of that, but I can believe not everyone knows about even the anti-Muslim rants, even though those were like the first things I heard about him in the last decade post-TNA/ROH

True, and good on the poster for revising his beliefs when presented with new information!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

duckdealer posted:

True, and good on the poster for revising his beliefs when presented with new information!

I had no clue! I'd read about him saying some dumb stuff, but not like that.

I haven't kept up with wrestling in several years outside of DVR-ing New Japan (while AXS had it), but this Dark Side show brought me back. WWE is unwatchable, but I do like AEW. Between this and baseball, and finding out which of my favorite wrestlers/baseball players have turned out to be awful people, I don't really spend money on hobbies that might support terrible people. :(

Edit: I didn't see the Cornette thread, and I don't think I can read it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baseball news sucks right now in general too, that bums me out :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Baseball news sucks right now in general too, that bums me out :smith:

I took a break from baseball after seeing Orel Hershiser retweet Trump conspiracy theories, so between that, childcare, and teleworking like 9-10 hours a day, I don't have much in the way of hobbies going on at the moment.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Chris James 2 posted:

Exactly. Like, I knew Cornette was a shithead anyway, but I'd never heard that specific audio posted with the tweet above until now. I'm into wrestling, but not enough to follow every misdemeanour, and I have absolutely zero desire to read the Cornette thread.

I remember posting during one of the NY64 tournaments that I had been led to believe that the allegations surrounding Jerry Lawler in 1993 were shaky at best, until Bix replied to me with some well-researched evidence that did not cast him in a good light at all. Some of us need to be educated now and then, and whilst some might be construed as being a bit brash about it, I guess sometimes that's what you need to underline the severity of it all. Speaking of which, Lawler would probably be a good Dark Side episode.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Exactly. Like, I knew Cornette was a shithead anyway, but I'd never heard that specific audio posted with the tweet above until now. I'm into wrestling, but not enough to follow every misdemeanour, and I have absolutely zero desire to read the Cornette thread.

I remember posting during one of the NY64 tournaments that I had been led to believe that the allegations surrounding Jerry Lawler in 1993 were shaky at best, until Bix replied to me with some well-researched evidence that did not cast him in a good light at all. Some of us need to be educated now and then, and whilst some might be construed as being a bit brash about it, I guess sometimes that's what you need to underline the severity of it all. Speaking of which, Lawler would probably be a good Dark Side episode.

Lawler had specifically claimed that the accuser recanted and that he lied about it really changes the nature of the case! With the witness recanting it is a case that seems to totally fit the mold of an overzealous prosecutor and kids who were pressured or distorted into saying what wasn't true (like many of the 80s satanic panic cases) with him lying about that... and then the letter Bix published, and everything he said about the witnesses...

Yeah it's a very different case. But someone was definitely leading us to believe the evidence was shaky at best, Jerry Lawler.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 27, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Red posted:

I took a break from baseball after seeing Orel Hershiser retweet Trump conspiracy theories, so between that, childcare, and teleworking like 9-10 hours a day, I don't have much in the way of hobbies going on at the moment.

Have you watched the SBNation series on the Seattle Mariners? Might not be your cup of tea but I know nothing about baseball and found it fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pkVu6Kw00M&t=2s

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Seams posted:

Have you watched the SBNation series on the Seattle Mariners? Might not be your cup of tea but I know nothing about baseball and found it fascinating.

Seconding this recommendation. Bois made baseball stats incredibly entertaining and informing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

animeluva1 posted:

Seconding this recommendation. Bois made baseball stats incredibly entertaining and informing.

Anyone who hasn't watched The Bob Emergency is doing themselves a disservice. It's an amazing piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm of the opinion that if Jon Bois has produced it, no matter how long or weird it seems, I'm willing to give it a chance because his stuff is really good. I'll include the NBA edition of the Fumble Dimension as my Jon Bois recc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-yfZn5iYJE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jon Bois is my fav

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chris James 2 posted:

Jon Bois is my fav

He is our generation's greatest documentarian

bartok
May 10, 2006

Red posted:

I hope I never find out my childhood favorite Barry Larkin is a piece of poo poo IRL.

What are some lighter or more comical subjects that Dark Side of the Ring could tackle in the future? All I can really think of is the failure of the WBF off the top of my head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But it’s called Dark Side of the Ring...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Plane Ride From Hell. The Flair and Hall parts are dark; JBL fighting Hayes and Hennig fighting Brock are kinda funny

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chris James 2 posted:

Plane Ride From Hell. The Flair and Hall parts are dark; JBL fighting Hayes and Hennig fighting Brock are kinda funny

That’s the problem with doing that as an episode. You’d go from “Haha, look at those silly big men fighting on the plane” to “Oh, um, Flair just cornered a flight attendant and started rubbing his dick on her...”

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

they probably won't get access but Inoki-ism would be a great episode. Also an episode on Misawa

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Lawler had specifically claimed that the accuser recanted and that he lied about it really changes the nature of the case! With the witness recanting it is a case that seems to totally fit the mold of an overzealous prosecutor and kids who were pressured or distorted into saying what wasn't true (like many of the 80s satanic panic cases) with him lying about that... and then the letter Bix published, and everything he said about the witnesses...

Yeah it's a very different case. But someone was definitely leading us to believe the evidence was shaky at best, Jerry Lawler.
To elaborate a bit:

Lawler had always claimed that the person who went to the police was John Segevan, male friend of one of the girls' mothers (who ended up charged with forcibly raping a 15 year old girl himself in an unrelated case in the middle of all this). That the girl had been mouthing off claiming she had sex with Jerry Lawler, Segevan found out, she repeated it, and he went to the police. Something like that.

In actuality, that guy was, for some reason, confronting one of the girls about if she had slept with a neighborhood boy, she said she did, he asked if there had been anyone else, and she said yes, Jerry Lawler and Bill Marino. He told the girl's mother, and she called the police...but she also called the OTHER girl's mother, who it turned out had heard basically the same story from HER daughter. It doesn't seem like there was any opportunity for the girls to conspire on a story before their moms talked or any reason why they would have thrown out the names of two wrestlers (one famous, one...not) when confronted.

And yeah, there are other things where Lawler was just acting guilty: The insane letter to the prosecutors, the weird ways in which he didn't have his story straight (one witness affidavit was like "oh yeah, I drove Jerry to the motel and I never saw any girls" even though Lawler admitted they were in his room), etc.

According to one of the detectives, the girls didn't recant, they refused to testify. There was a letter/possibly an affidavit "from the girls" to judge recanting that I regret missing in the Observer when I did the Deadspin article (still not sure how I did that; maybe I was going by the Observer Index and it wasn't listed there?), but there are two big weird red flags to it:

1. The Louisville Courier-Journal, which had been the main source of reporting on the case, never mentioned it whatsoever, with it only coming up in the Memphis Commercial Appeal (which ran a few sentences) and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (which ran almost the whole thing).
2. The letter from the girls, at least what we've seen of it, appears to go with Lawler's framing of the story with Segevan is the outcry witness to police when it was actually the mother. Segevan seemingly ended up at the center of Lawler's story because Lawler first found out there was an investigation when Segevan showed up screaming about it at the Louisville Gardens. (Seeing the whole letter would probably be helpful, but the court record was expunged/sealed per Lawler's plea deal.)

TL;DR version: There are still some confusing aspects, but the fact of the matter is that Lawler was acting incredibly guilty and he also took over the public framing of the story so that it didn't resemble the actual, much more credible-looking version where one of the mothers went to the police after confronting her daughter and checking with the OTHER mother, who got a matching story out of HER daughter.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was it during the Plane Ride From Hell where X-Pac cut off Michael Hayes' mullet also? That would be a good capstone to Flair rubbing his dick on everything and Hall almost dying for a few hours.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

E: whoops wrong thread

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Was it during the Plane Ride From Hell where X-Pac cut off Michael Hayes' mullet also? That would be a good capstone to Flair rubbing his dick on everything and Hall almost dying for a few hours.

yep, not long before that a 10/10 drunk Michael Hayes almost pissed on Linda McMahon, mistaking her for the plane bathroom

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Imagine how shitfaced you have to be to mistake Linda McMahon for a toilet

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The problem with Plane Ride From Hell is it's basically all hearsay(even though the stories match up) and extremely libelous(technically), the people you'd need to hear from to confirm the bad behavior are still on Vince's payroll/affiliated with WWE

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mob posted:

The problem with Plane Ride From Hell is it's basically all hearsay(even though the stories match up) and extremely libelous(technically), the people you'd need to hear from to confirm the bad behavior are still on Vince's payroll/affiliated with WWE

Also, I believe the settlement between WWE/Flair and the flight attendants is confidential and it gave them quite a bit to agree to never talk about it in public.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

That's not true. Even if the two flight attendants involved in the lawsuit can't say anything there are several wrestlers who have spoken at length about the flight and you can compare that against the documents from the lawsuit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I doubt Waltman would have any problems talking about it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Those of you who still give Cornette clicks on his podcast etc should listen to this and then probably meditate on that

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Seams posted:

That is extremely my poo poo.

Chris James 2 posted:

Jon Bois is my fav

He is doing the Lord's work, and I'm not even religious.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would like to buy join bois a big pop

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

I have no idea what is going on but feel very calm.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1266006369104265216

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2020/05/27/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-coronavirus-return

Producer Evan Husney posted:

A third season is something everybody involved wants to do. Vice wants to make a Season 3, we would love to see it happen, and we’re in those stages of conversation. Right now, there are just a lot of question marks about the future of production, and even the future of the world. Our show deals with a lot of travel, and we’d love to go international to places like Japan in Season 3, but there is a lot of uncertainty in terms of that. I can say that all parties want to see this happen, and there is no shortage of stories for us to cover. We’ve put a lot of thought into it already, and we’re getting ideas from people every minute on social media, which is awesome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like this is a show they could probably pull off entirely or mostly remotely. They wouldn't be able to easily do the reenactments unless they partnered with AEW or someone else already producing content, but the reenactments are the least interesting part of the show (imo) anyway.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

flashy_mcflash posted:

They wouldn't be able to easily do the reenactments unless they partnered with AEW or someone else already producing content, but the reenactments are the least interesting part of the show (imo) anyway.
I'm with you. Half of the time the actors look nothing like the wrestlers they are portraying (e.g. Randy Savage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Urge to Inoki-ism rising. :unsmigghh: And seedy Mexican lucha stories I've never heard about, and UK ones. :flashfap: