Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've heard a few stories about the lengths Pillman went to in order to sell the Loose Cannon character, some of which I've seen evidence of (unexpectedly manhandling a fragile "off-limits" Bobby Heenan in WCW) and others which seem a bit weirder (taking a poo poo on the floor in someone's house and possibly eating it?). I think the appeal though is in the perfect storm of him being involved in a tasteless Attitude Era rape angle, almost immediately dying due to a drug problem, and then that horrible interview with his widow on the next Raw.

If I'm remembering correctly the Heenan thing was something he had talked to Heenan (and only Heenan) about before doing it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Red posted:

Wasn't Benoit supposed to put over Punk for the show he missed? He was probably super paranoid about being phased out.

If I'm remembering the news from that weekend correctly, he was supposed to go over Punk in that match.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Takuan posted:

If I'm remembering the news from that weekend correctly, he was supposed to go over Punk in that match.
Yes, but he WAS super paranoid about it, thinking he was being phased out when he was actually put in the ECW spot BECAUSE of how respected he was.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

davidbix posted:

Yes, but he WAS super paranoid about it, thinking he was being phased out when he was actually put in the ECW spot BECAUSE of how respected he was.

Ah, ok, that's what I was remembering.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And that led to Nancy Grace's bizarre "He was about to be demoted to the Four Horsemen" line

nil!
Feb 5, 2004

I don't think so.
Just wanted to say that Amazon Prime has listed Dark Side of the Ring Confidential as Season 3 which it is not. Unless you are interested in Conrad and the producers talking about past episodes, avoid it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Plane Ride From Hell was very high on my wishlist for season 3, that's going to be really interesting (and horrifying) to dig into. Sounds like even more awful poo poo happened during it than I realised

Macrame_God posted:

Brian Pillman (Season Premiere)
FMW (Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling)
XPW (Xtreme Pro Wrestling)
Nick Gage
WCW/NJPW Collision In Korea 1995
The Smith Family (Grizzly Smith, Sam Houston, Rockin’ Robin & Jake “The Snake” Roberts)
Ion Croitoru (a.k.a. Bruiser Bedlam, Johnny K-9)
Chris Kanyon
The Plane Ride From Hell

This list is missing the confirmed ep on Dynamite Kid

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i hope the nick gage episode is just an hour of talking heads saying "yeah he's cool as hell"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When does season 3 debut?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vince MechMahon posted:

When does season 3 debut?

Not announced yet

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If you don't like the Nick Gage episode you might be a cop caller, MDK

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have you folks been watching the Confidential episodes? They're kinda interesting...also one of the producers keeps wearing Nancy Sullivan sweatshirts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I watched the Road Warriors episode and I unfortunately found it lacking, it could easily have been a two-parter. They fast-forward through a lot of JCP/NWA/WCW as well as a lot of their last WWF run. Also, no mention of how many times they ran the “Animal finds a new partner” storyline with Heidenreich, etc after Hawk died.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I did like Animal's story about how Hawk was a literal teen movie villain growing up, fighting people in high school and then on the off chance you beat him he was your best friend

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I was watching a video about hosed up stuff that happened on live TV, and it mentioned Bruno Sammartino having a match with a guy who died in the ring after Bruno scoop slammed him. Seems like a possible episode.

I'd actually never heard about this before.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never heard of it either

bix

contact The Sack

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Back in those days, champions were expected to kill a man in the ring. It may seem barbaric now, but that's how they protected the business.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How did a guy get into the ring in such bad shape he died from a slam? Wasn't the sports commission actually doing poo poo back then, too?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

How did a guy get into the ring in such bad shape he died from a slam? Wasn't the sports commission actually doing poo poo back then, too?

Well, he had a heart attack during the slam. But we don't know if poor health or some hereditary condition was the cause. He was also 46

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Come on and SLAM

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

dude people die from tripping and bonking their head on the curb. rings back then may as well have been made of cement.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Work stiff, become a stiff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember at one point during the AWA produced movie "The Wrestler" starring Verne Gagne and Ed Asner, at one point Ray Stevens kills a guy during a match, and the film's like "Well, it happens!"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JOHN CENA posted:

i never heard of it either

bix

contact The Sack
I don't think it was on live TV, but from the Bruno obit in the Observer:

"On February 18, 1961, Sammartino had an afternoon match at Sunnyside Gardens, a small arena in Queens, NY, against 46-year-old Chick Garibaldi. During the match, Garibaldi suffered a heart attack after being body slammed, and died. Sammartino later found out that Garibaldi was using steroids. Whether one had anything to do with the other, that was the catalyst for Sammartino’s hatred for steroids."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MAY 6th!

https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1380241662274895875?s=20

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1387123096725823489?s=19

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kanyon is gonna be hard to watch. Such a tragedy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Prepared to get real mad at everything watching the Kanyon ep

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Luna Vachon gently caress YES

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wasn't aware there'd be that much to say about her, until I looked at her Wikipedia page, and... yikes.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

I popped when I saw her name come up; that episode is gonna be... full of uh... history.

and hopefully the only possible passing mention of Bull Nakano anywhere in this series.

e: Just noticed that with a Jake the Snake episode, they're covering a current wrestler who has absolutely had a career resurgence but as a sober person who is still in recovery and doing their best day by day. Wonder if they'll ever do an episode for Dustin Rhodes because that dude went through some poo poo. Was wondering if they'd do one a while ago but figured they wouldn't as he's still active in AEW but if Jake is getting one...

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 28, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm glad I know of like 3 out of the 12 and even the 3 I do know it's barely anything and more just name recognition

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Didn't FMW have strong ties to the Yakuza?

edit: Looked it up, yup owed money to them.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 28, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbf, how many Japanese businesses DON'T have ties to the Yakuza, especially pro wrestling companies.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tbf, how many Japanese businesses DON'T have ties to the Yakuza, especially pro wrestling companies.

Was Tenryu's WAR promotion connected at all?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Was Tenryu's WAR promotion connected at all?

I've seen Tenryu implied to be connected a few times, so quite possible

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I wonder if the rate things are going, that we're going to see a Dark Side of the Ring episode based on Drake Wuertz.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Armitage posted:

I wonder if the rate things are going, that we're going to see a Dark Side of the Ring episode based on Drake Wuertz.

His descent makes me sad. I used to really like him. His guerilla warfare match with Sami Callihan for a title shot is my favorite PWG match and the subsequent title match he had with Adam Cole was also really good.

I think it's only a matter of time before a Teddy Hart episode. Joey Ryan, also.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it's only a matter of time before a Teddy Hart episode. Joey Ryan, also.

Pretty sure Teddy Hart will be dead in a few years, so, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm very excited for all of you to learn about Juche Thought.