Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Tried looking to see if there was a S1 thread to continue but I can't find it, so...here we go.

Season 2, with Chris Jericho as narrator (they needed a Canadian to help secure funding for VICE/CanCon reasons) starts Tuesday night with the two hour/two part episode on Chris Benoit. Part 1 is available for free on YouTube (though only in the U.S., I think) right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUsAztC4Xc

The other episodes coming this season, most of which sound awesome, are:
Dino Bravo
Brawl For All
New Jack (Focusing on him in general with Mass Transit, Vic Grimes, and Gypsy Joe as the focal points.)
David Schultz (Heavy on John Stossel but not completely about that, IIRC.)
Jimmy Snuka/Nancy Argentino
The Road Warriors
Herb Abrams (I don't know if they're gonna end up using it, but I sent them some documents for this one.)
Owen Hart (Trailer shows that they interviewed Martha, who hasn't talked in who knows how long.)

As for Benoit part 1?

It's significantly better than anything from season 1, and I *liked* season 1, even if I agreed that it was uneven in parts (the weird Moolah ending, some rough edits for time especially in the Gino episode where it felt like you missed something, etc.), but this was absolutely fantastic, no doubt about it. They got interviews with basically everyone you could hope for other than Kevin Sullivan, Martina Benoit, and Vince McMahon. They got tons of access to photos and home videos from David and/or Nancy's sister, so the look and feel is much different, too, with minimal fuzzy dreamworld reenactments in part 1. The hour ends with everyone finding out about the deaths of Chris, Nancy, and Daniel.

What will probably end up being one of the most talked about things is that they *explicitly* accuse Kevin Sullivan of beating Nancy during the tail end of their marriage. Sandra Toffoloni (Nancy's sister), Vickie Guerrero, and Julie Simon (Dean's wife; they call her Malenko but it feels weird to write that in this context) all give detailed accounts of what Nancy told them, seeing black eyes, etc. When the show reached out on the record, Kevin denied (off-camera) that there was any abuse. This is noteworthy because while it was known/suspected to some degree, nobody with direct knowledge had ever come out and said anything publicly. Meltzer danced around it by only saying that the only "Nicole Brown Simpson-like photos" Nancy had taken that were found were "from a previous relationship." Matthew Randazzo did report in Ring of Hell that Kevin badly beat her in Japan in an incident that sent her into Chris's arms elsewhere in the hotel, but that was it.

It's also made pretty explicit that on top of the weird shoot angle with Chris and Nancy pretending to be in a relationship and Chris and Martina having issues leading to the affair, that Chris was a major help in helping Nancy leave Kevin for her own safety. The impression you get if you know the larger story and the basic timeline is that Kevin became physically abusive when his drinking and drug problems got really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's in Part 2 but at one point Jericho makes an insanely absurd statement that under the Wellness Policy it was literally impossible to do any drugs. Like, I know that people (Evan Bourne comes to mind) got busted for weed at various points but then, like now, your punishment was clearly a matter of where you were on the card.

The Ring of Hell guy also goes hard into the steroid angle before also lending credence to the CTE aspect. I never finished that book so I don't know which theory he ended up landing on.

Other than the above comment I liked what Jericho added to the doc. Describing how he found out about the deaths as well as detailing some of the behaviour changes in Benoit after Eddie died provided a lot of necessary details to the story. Vickie, David, and Sandra are the best of the interviews though. Even if you know and have heard every detail of this story, Vickie will break your heart. I think the doc works well because it almost works as a piece about Eddie too, since you really can't tell Chris's story without Eddie or vice versa.
Where did you get to see part 2 already? Have there been CanCon airings or something?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

On the RAW is Eddie they panned to Benoit and the guy was ugly crying during the 10 bell salute. I think Victor Mar (another close friend, a liaison for NJPW ) also passed around the same time. Guy was a wreck.
Eddy died on November 13th, Victor Mar/Black Cat died on January 28th, and then Mike Durham/Johnny Grunge died on February 16th. Mar was an Eddy-like beloved figure in NJPW and one of Benoit's best friends over there. Grunge had settled nearby in Peachtree City in the WCW days and was who Chris would hang out with to calm down when he would get into arguments with Nancy, basically acting as a pressure valve. Eddy dying was bad enough, but the others basically made it seem to Chris like his world was collapsing. I think it was Scott Norton who was quoted in Ring of Hell talking about what an absolute *mess* Chris was when Mar died.

And Meltzer, I believe, wrote something about how Chris, even more than most wrestlers, was just *surrounded* by early, tragic death from pretty early in his career. I think there may have been even more who he mentioned, but the ones that I remember were that Larry Cameron, Brian Pillman, and Owen Hart were all really good friends of his. They all died prematurely over the course of just over five and a half years. And not young deaths, but Stu and Helen Hart's passings would have hit him hart, too, in 2001 and 2003, respectively.

He probably needed it anyway, but dude should have been in some serious therapy just for his grief issues by 2000 at the latest. Hell, even if he had no other issues, I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose your very best friend in the whole world suddenly and then lose another TWO of your very best friends within four months of that. That will take a massive toll on ANYONE.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Bix, what were the issues leading to the breakup of Martina and Chris? It's really not touched on much at all and may not have been anything very serious but I did wonder if he had a history of abuse prior to Nancy.
I'm not aware of anything specific, but someone, I think it was Sandra, says in part 1 that Chris and Martina were having issues circa '97 and that made it a lot more likely that he and Nancy would inevitably get together under the circumstances. (Both the affair shoot angle part and the helping her escape an abusive husband part.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

I reached out to Vice and requested a press/review screener and they gave me one! I wrote up a review of it a few weeks ago but it was embargoed until last Friday.
They've been really weirdly stingy with media this season, at least from my own experience and who I've spoken to, so I'm surprised you got through. Got a link to the review? And were they able to provide any other screeners yet? I know that they're still working on the season as it airs this time and that it couldn't be every episode.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

animeluva1 posted:

As a happily married lady goon and mother the Benoit wedding photos hit me like a truck. I had to stop watching and do something else for at least 30 minutes before I got back from every "commercial" break. I know the general story and each passing segment meant I'm getting closer to the murder suicide.

Later I did the math and realized Vickie was the same age as me (37) when Eddie passed. My family is driving me crazy with the quarantine but I'm going to hug and kiss them more. I teared up with Benoit when the original tribute aired and seeing it again after learning all of the back story, well, :cry:
I'm glad Vickie's come out the other side. She was (understandably) so immediately devastated that at the funeral, she couldn't speak at all because she knew she'd just become a total mess. She'd still greet their friends who came to mourn, but she just...wouldn't talk. I can't even imagine what that's like.

And now thinking about that made me angry all over again about how Vince handled giving her a job so she could support her kids, keep her house, etc. From the bullying to grossly underpaying her to getting angry when Eddy's brothers wanting to do a benefit show for her (because only WWE can support Vickie!)...there was a lot of openly pathological poo poo going on, and outside of the onscreen stuff, it's been forgotten.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Benne posted:

It's equally insane when you see her in interviews and she comes off as the sweetest person alive with a heart of gold, and could be such a great babyface in whatever role you wanna give her on TV, whether as an interviewer or manager. Instead, they did ... that.

If there's anyone I'm hoping AEW rehabs and turns around careers, give Vickie a salary job and just let her be a Cool Aunt on TV. It's the role she was born to play and would get over loving huge.
Does anyone have any idea if her somewhat...extreme politics are a new thing or not? They don't seem to match anything else we know about her.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

In this case the company had already been informed it was a murder investigation and Regal would have also known about the texts and voicemails, plus Dave Taylor's visits to the house so he wasn't assuming anything.
And even if you throw that out, JBL went up to him right as the interview was about to start and asked "...you don't think he killed the boy, do you?"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I don't doubt this but where'd this come from ? It's news to me.
I can't find the specific date/issue right now, but a Summer 2007 edition of the Observer.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

One of the more weird/memorable stories from the aftermath was that one day, Benoit called Regal out of the blue after not hanging out for a very long time, and asked him to come over and watch AJPW tapes. Regal went over and Chris refused to let him in the house, acting like he had no idea why he was there.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Just finished watching part 2.

I'm really, really glad that David and Sandra are back in touch, if nothing else. Grief does terrible things to people. but whatever family member lied to her and Chris's surviving kids, telling them that the other wanted nothing to do with each other...that's a terrible thing to do someone.

That said: I was absolutely not prepared for the part about Sandra witnessing the aftermath of an incident where Chris was abusive to Nancy and refused to elaborate about what he did past that "...he hurt her..." out of sensitivity to Chris's surviving kids.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I won't be watching the Benoit one for emotional reasons (grief issues of my own), but is the Moolah episode worth watching? I watched the Gino episode and agree it flowed strangely. I also felt the end was kinda weird, his mom just kinda accepted the explanations she got then decided to have a margarita?
The Moolah episode has similar "this is good but I feel like someone accidentally cut out something important near the end" vibes to the Gino episode. Like it makes a pretty clear case, mainly from Princess Victoria's stories, that Moolah absolutely tried to pressure her wrestlers into doing inappropriate poo poo with strange dudes for money, but then there's this total 180 at the end that's oddly pro-Moolah with Victoria snapping that "if you think Moolah's a pimp, then you're calling us all hookers!"

Honestly, once this season is put to bed, I'd love for Jason to go in and do director's cuts of season 1, because it seems like he has a MUCH better handle on what the show should be now.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It just occurred to me that the whole "why are Benoit and friends acting like Sullivan is gonna screw with them as booker when it seems like he genuinely has zero plans to do so?" thing makes a whole lot more sense now. When you know not just that Kevin was physically abusive—which there were whispers of, albeit nothing clearly sourced—but also that Benoit and friends and their wives went through the whole ordeal of helping Nancy leave Kevin? You get why "Kevin's gonna make Chris world champion!" meant absolutely nothing to them.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Everyone keeps saying that Tony Atlas is completely full of poo poo. People never elaborate why though.
He's absolutely not COMPLETELY full of poo poo. It does seem like he punched up a few things that don't really matter, but the important parts of his story have always been consistent. It's clear that being able to give his side on Real TV meant a lot to him. He HAS told some weird tales about other stuff—like saying that his ex-wife was in the room with Jimmy Snuka and Nancy Argentino when he inflicted the injuries that killed her—but at least broadly, he's credible WRT Brody.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Something to keep in mind with Mass Transit/Erik Kulas is that New Jack didn't use a regular wrestling blade. He used, depending on the source, either a surgical scalpel or an X-Acto knife. He would have still hosed the kid up with a regular blade, but not nearly as badly.

(There were rumors at the time that the knife was something collected into New Jack's "fans bring the weapons" trash can at the door, with a story of a fan yelling "Hey! That's my knife!" being out there. But I don't think that's ever been close to confirmed.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I should note that while I don't doubt that Benoit's brain was hosed up, the slides shared publicly of his brain tissue bear noticeable similarities to the ones where Dr. Omalu zoomed in extra far to make more questionable brains look riddled with CTE. Compare them with what's laid out here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

WWE has also long claimed that Omalu didn't keep any chain of custody records and that there's thus no scientifically certain proof that it was Chris Benoit's brain. I've pretty much given up on trying to determine if that's true. The lawyer from the WWE concussion lawsuits disputes this, citing Omalu's pathology report: https://wweconcussionlawsuitnews.com/memory-of-chris-benoit-cte-wrestler-mistreatment-haunt-mcmahon-wwe-legacy/

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I think he is generally tired of discussing it. He was not in WWE at the time that this happened and so he became the non-wwe guy to speak on shows. I remember him arguing with people about steroids, roid rage and wrestling causing people to be violent (kids imitating it). After 13 years, it has probably just become something that he can toss out some responses because that is all he has left.

I listened to the Lapsed Fan podcast about Benoit. What were they talking about when it came to Nowinski and Omalu separating. They made it sound like Nowinski sold his soul to WWE afterwards while Bix just made it sound like Omalu was being shady.
Maybe a combination of the two?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Ganso Bomb posted:

I really have no concept of Herb Abrams and the UWF. I've always heard the names bounced around but I didn't grow up with it and never did any research on it. Would I be better served to wait for this episode to come out, or should I prep with these videos folks have posted?
There's...a lot. We also did a pair of deep dives on the Between The Sheets Patreon. Stuff like this just scratches the surface:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1246109341947658241

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

Oh my god. How have I never seen this before...

http://herbabramsuwf.googlepages.com/testimonialmollyohanlon.htm

I looked it up and Wrestling Zen was an old geocities site that had an alphabetical directory of wrestlers/promoters, and each wrestler had his own page with a comment box/guestbook. I'm guessing Herb's ex left the comment above randomly on Herb's guestbook.

loving bizarre.
"He invested everything he had in that show, and it was a great show. But the MGM is a huge venue, and he didn't get the ticket sales he needed to make his money back. Even though he sold some 3000 tickets, he needed to sell 5000 just to break even."

I have the Nevada State Athletic Commission file for Blackjack Brawl, which, like any event file they have, has the event's "Club Report," a detailed breakdown of the tickets sold and circulated including price tiers.

There were 640 tickets sold to the UWF Blackjack Brawl for a gate of $13,362.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Macrame_God posted:

I'm curious if they'll do an episode on the WCW discrimination lawsuit. A lot of things factored in to the fall of WCW and that, in my opinion, was one of them. Racism is rampant in pro wrestling but a lot of the stories that came out of that lawsuit were extremely disgusting.

It also led to Booker T winning the WCW World Championship at Bash at the Beach 2000, which ultimately got overshadowed by Jarrett laying down for Hogan in their match as well as Hogan's subsequent in ring meltdown on the company, which would make for a fascinating episode in its own right.
That's a good idea regardless, but if they could get the deposition videos, then it would be a REALLY good idea. I need to do a deep dive on it at some point, but this gist is that WCW was so institutionally racist that the bullshit whining about "bad workers" getting seven figure settlements just becomes sad. There were one or two people who were legit along for the ride (WCW had no record of Rick Reeves ever even contacting them, much less working for them, and I think there might have been one more similar case who just claimed to call WCW for work once and get sandbagged), but the vast majority had real cases. Especially the Power Plant guys.

EDIT: This reminds me...does ANYONE have the Stevie Ray podcast episode with the Title Match Wrestling people where he was asked who "the most racist person in WCW" was, answered Terry Taylor, and explained why? Audio or video, doesn't matter. It disappeared from the internet six months after it was released and there aren't that many traces of it, period.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 13, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Davros1 posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they made it seem like Snuka's career went downhill after the incident. I mean, he was with the WWF for 2 years after the incident, was a character in the WWF cartoon, had an action figure made of him, was brought back full time in 89, was inducted into the HoF in 96, and had his last Wrestlemania match in 2009.

Despite knowing what he had done, WWE was perfectly content to continue working with him.
They said downhill after the lawsuit was filed, didn't they? Which is more or less true. That was in early-mid '85, around when he left the WWE amidst the Kuwait incident and other difficulties. He moved to Hawaii, was working less, and claimed to be destitute. He was still working NJPW, which paid great (and in cash), but that was more riding Brody's coattails than anything else. He was barely above prelim level when he came back in '89.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

He had literally just started in the territory (in wrestling period, actually) as Samoan #4 a week or so earlier. He never, ever appeared on TV as Samoan #4, and became Tonga Kid after about three months. He was a 17 year old kid who was new to the area and had just broken in. I'd be shocked if he wasn't making the TV tapings just to show his face and help out the other Samoans. The Snuka car trip thing is a *little* weird because Sam was a heel, but being that he had literally just started and wasn't on TV, that may not mean much at all.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

OFFICER LIGER posted:

hes just saying he didn't wrestle, it's probable that he was told to go travel with jimmy to get some road experience and had nancy not been there, he probably would have been his driver.
I agree. Dave has a weird way of being absolutist about this kind of thing based on evidence that isn't really evidence. Did the WWF ever even run a second town on TV nights back then that Sam Fatu could have theoretically been at instead?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tonga Kid is also super in denial. Who gives a poo poo if Jimmy was nice AROUND YOU, that's how domestic abusers work.
I cut him a small amount of slack since he was literally a kid at the time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mob posted:

That was the first one of these where I felt like I learned actually nothing at all new about the story
Maybe, but I thought it worked well on a personal/emotional level. Remember, these aren't all for super hardcores to learn something new every time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Seams posted:

What relationship do the producers of the show have with WWE? None of the episodes so far have really painted WWE in a truly negative light. I'm worried that the Owen episode is gonna be a whitewash.
Given Martha's involvement, I highly doubt that.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just watched the Snuka episode and I don’t say this to be mean, but watching them question Sam Fatu was like watching the police interrogate a slow person. He was mostly just repeating back the question and mentally I wonder how much he’s really there.
They had no idea going in that he'd be giving them anything that would contradict Snuka's story. Dude was literally there to be a Snuka stan.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

GERDALDO. RIVERA.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1255370703517425665

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

He's a big fan of cousin marriage, too: https://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=124241&page=1

I did think this was the most sober and honest and human he's looked talking about the wrestling expose and lawsuit, even if he still came off sleazy and unlikable.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

By the way...
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1255647818263547906

MorrisBae posted:

Oh my god

The son of Zoogz Rift (died in 2011) just uploaded this unseen video of Zoogz talking about working for Herb, and this was in the video:

Huh. The year has to be a typo (since it's clearly the follow-up to Blackjack Brawl based on the main event even thought the date is listed for 7 months earlier), but...any indication how close this was to actually happening?

Macrame_God posted:

I actually had a lot of thoughts after the end of the most recent episode...

Not a lot of folks talking about Eddie Mansfield as opposed to Schultz and Stossel. While a lot of people are arguing that Eddie was just talking out of his rear end when he contextualized his going on 20/20 as his getting revenge on the industry for not treating wrestlers right, in the end the actions of Vince McMahon validated what he said. Schultz stood up for the industry like McMahon asked him to and while striking Stossel on camera was indeed too far, when it came time for McMahon to have Schultz's back, he instead threw him under the bus and, just to add further injury to injury, he blacklisted him from the business, effectively forcing him to retire. This is all while he was promoting his new golden boy, Hulk Hogan (who I'm more than 50% certain was lying about how Schultz was behaving around Mr. T during Wrestlemania) and hiring a bunch of celebrities such as Cindi Lauper to help him make a lady out of pro wrestling (sans providing his employees with health care, of course). Furthermore, it was Vince who made the ultimate kayfabe-breaking move when he had the business labeled as "sport entertainment" to save some money from the sports commission. He's fine with asking everyone to give their all to protect the business, but when it was his turn he prioritized his own profits first. A lot of the people who poo poo on Mansfield were curiously mute on that.
Yeah, I don't think he's COMPLETELY full on poo poo on that front the way most people are saying. Jim Wilson was obviously on there with Mansfield with discussion of wrestler treatment being his actual primary motive, and of course a wrestler who wants to do that is gonna know that doing some "real or fake?" expose stuff will be part of playing the game. Plus...I don't think I've ever heard the other side of why he stopped being booked the way I have with Wilson? Mansfield could wrestle and talk and was working pretty steadily in a bunch of solid territories. Wilson was an ex-NFL player who had mostly regional appeal who never really picked up wrestling, probably took hype from the one promoter who liked him way too literally, and was not going to be built for wrestling after having a union in the NFL...then he either turned down an advance from Jim Barnett (his version) or developed such a bad drug problem that he wasn't worth booking.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

The date says February 10, 1996 , which was a Saturday. Zoogz Rift was back in the company at that point and said in interviews he was pushing Herb to be more like ECW. Sid's WWF contract ended in January 1996, and there wasn't any ECW shows the weekend of February 10th, so that explains the timing.

The top of the flyer says "Prime Sports Network", so I'm guessing Herb suckered them into an advance for the show and then Herb blew it on drugs.

Zoogz' son Aaron has implied he was interviewed for Dark Side of the Ring, so we'll hear the full story on Tuesday!
OH! That's blurry as hell, I thought it said 1994.

Herb deciding to finally book this because Sid had become available again over a year later is just FANTASTIC.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

CHEAP PLUG.

What's probably the only Herb Abrams UWF deep dive podcast that I believe was probably used as research by some of the DSoTR producers is now FREE:
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1256229705696632832
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1256232089327996928

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've enjoyed every episode of this, but there's a wide range of "darkness" in this show between Benoit and other murders, and the time a guy slapped a reporter.
The show was already in production when one of their moms came up with the name, so yeah, it's a continuum.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Rick posted:

I don't really like the light ones because they're the ones they're the loosest with the facts on. You can't really bullshit on life and death stuff but they'll happily pretend that David Schultz was main eventing in WWF before the slap for the sake of making the show.
See, that one didn't really bother me: Yes, he was moving down the cards (hence being sacrificed to Inoki the night of the slap), but he was also a guy who had worked two MSG main events as part of two different feuds inside of 60 days earlier in the year, was one of two people (along with Gene Okerlund) specifically brought in by Hogan to make money with, he was loosely aligned with Piper/Orndorff/Orton, and the way the company was booked in 1984 was weird. Hogan had no real feuds, just an assortment of random challengers while Slaughter and Snuka were the babyfaces who had the hot feuds. So when you consider how Hogan specifically brought Schultz in to be his handpicked heel opponent, it probably felt like they were just biding their time before having a real program. It makes perfect sense that Schultz was angry that he wasn't part of WrestleMania, for example, given his storyline ties to the top heel group who was headlining the show.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Troy Queef posted:

Steve Ray breaking up at how Herb believed in him and was willing to give him a push got to me. didn't Bix say on his podcast that Steve was a mid-card guy in the foundering Central States promotion before UWF?
I think he was a Kansas City local, but yeah, that got me to me, too. Aside from a handful of big two house show shots and getting booked on the original IWA Puerto Rico pilot taping in 1994 that didn't go anywhere, his only real bosses in wrestling were Bob Geigel and Herb Abrams, with Herb being the only one who really saw something in him. (And it's not like Herb's eye was off, either: Steve was a solid worker and really charismatic, but needing polishing.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I dunno which thread this should go in, so let's start here!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1258721603552247813

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I got a screener of the Owen Hart episode for something I'm working on. It's really, really good. If you know the granular details, then there won't be much in the way of new information, but it lays out enough that people's reactions are going to be VERY interesting. The real story is FAR from having ever hit hardcore fan critical mass, and there's enough of it here, although the full timeline/details of the rigger changes wasn't something they had room for, even if it's makes the WWE negligence more egregious.

It's an especially strong look at the emotions surrounding everything and especially Martha and the kids's side of the WWE HOF bullshit. Its as simple as not wanting to company that killed him to "honor" him, or, as Oje says, "put his name on a piece of silver" just to say they did, as well as how they feel the Owen Hart Foundation is his real legacy. Martha also shows them the clip/snap shackle, which is tinier and opens with less apparent force than you could have ever imagined.

All of the talking heads give good insight. Cornette even breaks down crying on camera; he clearly had not ever fully reckoned with it before filming.

Well worth watching.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

Does WWE still edit Mel Phillips out of old footage, or was that just done on DVD's?
As much as possible within reason, yes.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I guess I'll put this here?
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1263157748893650944

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

349,000 total viewers (previous high was 320,000 for Benoit).

0.18% rating in the key demo (previous high was 0.14% for Benoit; last week's NXT did a 0.15% rating in the demo).

31st highest rated premiere on cable in the key demo all day Tuesday. (Previous high was 68th place for the Road Warriors episode last week.)

Yeeeeeeaaaah, it looks like we're getting a third season.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MJeff posted:

I hear there was a fake blood spot with the Hardys and the Brood earlier in the night and that might've been the stain in the ring but I've also heard that it was done on the outside. Can anybody confirm one way or the other?
According to the police report, here were two actual blood stains in addition to the Brood "bloodbath" stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

thatguyclint posted:

I just pulled up Roy Lucier's copy of the 5/23/99 Heat on Dailymotion, and there's one stain left where Matt puts his "bloody" arm on the apron, but it's near a different corner than the one Owen came down in.
Refresh my memory: Did anyone bleed in the matches before Owen fell?