Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Factory pull weight on a Scorp trigger is 14lbs, maybe more. You mentioned yours having a stock so if you can shoulder the thing it's still bad, but not awful like it was with my pistol. It'll still dramatically improve the gun, though. Do you have the carbine version?

Other items I recommend:

https://hbindustries.net/store/shop...fety-selectors/

The safety switch likes to dig into palms when shooting and is generally annoying, swapping it out for this guy is super easy.

https://manticorearms.com/charging-...charging-handle

Bigger charging handle for your preferred side. I swapped out the left side handle for this one and kept the right side stock, much easier to grab. Also much easier to do the Cool Dude HK Slap and that's important

I have this version but it came with a collapsible stock: https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-pistol/

Thanks for those links! I'm not super fond of the stock charging handle or the right-side safety.

How tough is al this stuff to install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I upgraded my Evo 3 trigger by myself with the HBI trigger spring, was pretty ezpz with a small clamp.

I also did the right side mini-AK safety replacement, longer charging handle, and AK-style magazine release (as well as a Tailhook). Now it's sweet as hell:

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Your pistol came with a collapsing stock?

It's super easy to swap both of those parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xqkaKpCRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJBtkyggG0

Also I swapped out the forend on mine for this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.co.../mi-cz6.75m.htm

Can be tricky getting them in stock, though.

Scorp postin'

Vorkosigan posted:

I upgraded my Evo 3 trigger by myself with the HBI trigger spring, was pretty ezpz with a small clamp.

I also did the right side mini-AK safety replacement, longer charging handle, and AK-style magazine release (as well as a Tailhook). Now it's sweet as hell:

The trigger spring is nice, though the first one I got was finicky and didn't want to reset. Contacted HBI about it and they got back to me within an hour. Around midnight. On a Friday.

HBI good

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nah, had to get the stock separate - still got the factory stuff so if I ever do wanna SBR it it's just sitting there.....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Factory pull weight on a Scorp trigger is 14lbs, maybe more.

For real?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vorkosigan posted:

Nah, had to get the stock separate - still got the factory stuff so if I ever do wanna SBR it it's just sitting there.....

Nah I meant Noam Chomsky, that's weird if a pistol came with a stock Unless it's a brace in which case that's fine lol end the NFA

Also yeah do it up, I wonder if form 1s are gonna slow down with the virus shenanigans.

Yeah when they were first showing up people were maxing out their trigger gauges at 14lbs+. Apparently they've gotten better since then, something like 9-10lbs, but it can always be better.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tell you what Beeb, next NC/VA/DC SRA campout I organize (probably around SW VA) you bring yours, I'll bring mine, and we see what triggers work best

Also I'm trying to organize another campout for the Fall, but who knows what everyone's situation is gonna be like then....

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Vorkosigan posted:

Looks awesome! I think I should be OK. I had just looked at the manual yesterday and it looked like there would be a lot of springs and small parts but I guess I don't have to go that far for this stuff.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Your pistol came with a collapsing stock?

It's super easy to swap both of those parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xqkaKpCRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJBtkyggG0

Also I swapped out the forend on mine for this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.co.../mi-cz6.75m.htm

Can be tricky getting them in stock, though.

Scorp postin'

The trigger spring is nice, though the first one I got was finicky and didn't want to reset. Contacted HBI about it and they got back to me within an hour. Around midnight. On a Friday.

HBI good

This is basically the Scorp that I got, with some slight differences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tayqwiWRbH0

The main difference just being that the forward grip just has a hand stop on the very front, not whatever is on this guy's.

But that's the *kind* of stock mine came with, with a slight difference.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Nah I meant Noam Chomsky, that's weird if a pistol came with a stock Unless it's a brace in which case that's fine lol end the NFA

Also yeah do it up, I wonder if form 1s are gonna slow down with the virus shenanigans.

Yeah when they were first showing up people were maxing out their trigger gauges at 14lbs+. Apparently they've gotten better since then, something like 9-10lbs, but it can always be better.

I'm not up on the exact terms yet but I think it's a brace instead. See my video above. I am going to just post some pics so you can all see it instead of my dumb explanation.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Oh ok, so it came with a brace and not a proper stock, cool I was worried you somehow got a stocked pistol from somebody which would put you in some hot fed water.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Pardon the furry rug. My collie likes to lay on it and I need to vacuum.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Oh yeah you're fine with that, no worries. Also that whole thing looks extremely radical

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh yeah you're fine with that, no worries. Also that whole thing looks extremely radical

Thanks! Dude I am so hype. I went in just wanting a Glock 19 but they were all out and they had this, which is what I *really* wanted so I... pulled the trigger. *rimshot*

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

I should ask this in the newbie thread but this is my home and I live here now but what paint do you all suggest to throw on the front sight?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

I should ask this in the newbie thread but this is my home and I live here now but what paint do you all suggest to throw on the front sight?

Nail polish. Throw down a coat of white and then a coat of something that really pops in various lighting conditions.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nail polish. Throw down a coat of white and then a coat of something that really pops in various lighting conditions.

Cool. I paint miniatures because of course I do and I wasn't sure if some acrylic would work.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Vorkosigan posted:

Tell you what Beeb, next NC/VA/DC SRA campout I organize (probably around SW VA) you bring yours, I'll bring mine, and we see what triggers work best

Also I'm trying to organize another campout for the Fall, but who knows what everyone's situation is gonna be like then....

MD is going to have its own campout then

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This is TFR. You can't just mention you have a dog and not post pictures of the dog.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

CainFortea posted:

This is TFR. You can't just mention you have a dog and not post pictures of the dog.

Fair!

This is her. The second picture obviously, as the first is my cat. She is my buddy. She was abused by her previous owners and is "reactive," as in will bite you, if petting or touching her, with no warning if she feels the slightest bit unsure for even a nanosecond.

https://twitter.com/T_R_0_V_3_R/sta...464587460866048

EDIT: More dog

https://twitter.com/T_R_0_V_3_R/sta...885578030055425

https://twitter.com/T_R_0_V_3_R/sta...885582551560192

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 25, 2020

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh ok, so it came with a brace and not a proper stock, cool I was worried you somehow got a stocked pistol from somebody which would put you in some hot fed water.

I was worried as well and they clarified for me at the store that it's only fixed stocks, I guess, that cause the feds to helicopter in and throw you in a black site prison

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poniard posted:

MD is going to have its own campout then

Right yes, Metro DC no longer includes Bmore, so NC/VA/DC/MD campout. Unless you wanna go take with Philly about a something in Delaware....

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Noam Chomsky posted:

I was worried as well and they clarified for me at the store that it's only fixed stocks, I guess, that cause the feds to helicopter in and throw you in a black site prison

No it's any kind of stock on a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". Folding, collapsible, fixed, doesn't matter. What you've got there is an "arm brace" which is not designed or intended to be used as a stock and is therefore okay.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

No it's any kind of stock on a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". Folding, collapsible, fixed, doesn't matter. What you've got there is an "arm brace" which is not designed or intended to be used as a stock and is therefore okay.

Note that what exactly the difference between an "arm brace" and a "stock with a hole in the middle" is kind of up in the air right now. At one point the ATF was saying that if you shoulder it it becomes an illegal SBR but I think they backed off on that, although I could be mistaken. Long story short, if you have the financial means you're going to be better off registering it as an SBR and getting a real stock on it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that what exactly the difference between an "arm brace" and a "stock with a hole in the middle" is kind of up in the air right now. At one point the ATF was saying that if you shoulder it it becomes an illegal SBR but I think they backed off on that, although I could be mistaken. Long story short, if you have the financial means you're going to be better off registering it as an SBR and getting a real stock on it.

There are other reasons to keep it a "pistol", one being it's much easier to resell a pistol than a SBR, some states let you carry a loaded pistol in a car but not a loaded rifle due to hunting laws, and you don't need to notify when crossing state lines with a pistol. That said, I really don't get how we made it this far with these "I'm not touching you" stuff and I expect it to eventually go the way of the bumpstock (I remember real rumblings about that when the Dayton shooter used an AR "pistol) and I don't wanna be the guy to be on ATF's bad side when it goes the other way, especially if I had to actually use it for anything defensive.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

When Magpul announced their brace at SHOT this year, they pointed out that the put a sling QD on the back side of it where the butt would be just to make it clear you shouldn't use it as a stock. I also saw an interview with a rep from Magpul saying something about people who do stuff like put a magnified rifle optic on their guns are treading close to crossing the line into "this is definitely a stock" territory.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

They're all absolutely stocks. All the internet lawyering about optics, sling mounts, removing or adding straps (as the original sig brace had, but many new ones dont), and shouldering doesn't really change the fact that the only thing keeping them legal is an ATF technical decision (which they have been known to reverse). I'd be amazed if a magnified optic had any bearing on someone getting brace hosed.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I mean, yeah. I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet. I was expecting it years ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think itís less about that one person and more Magpul trying to make idiots not ruin it for everyone else.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Internet Wizard posted:

I mean, yeah. I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet. I was expecting it years ago.

So, I'm a newbie, obviously, but I have been wondering why they give a poo poo if you have a stock or brace-thats-kinda-a-stock on an SBR. Is it just that it makes it easier to conceal and carry in somewhere as opposed to a full-size rifle, so you're getting the "power" of a rifle in a smaller size?

Also, I called the brace a stock since all the guntubers I have watched who have used this brace have just used it like a stock, which, I assume is just to play this technicality game.

EDIT: My initial plan was to just get the tax stamp but the folks at the store said I was all good, which it sounds like I am.

What happens if someone at the ATF doesn't get the correct Starbucks order on some Tuesday and randomly changes the regulation and I don't know about it?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's because bootleggers used SBRs during the prohibition. The tax stamp is only $200 because back then it was prohibitively expensive.

You can use your arm brace as a stock for now. It's only legal to do so as long as the ATF says so. As soon as they change their mind and declare arm braces are stocks, you've now got an illegal unregistered SBR.

If you like your gun as is, you're fine until the ATF decides otherwise.

But, if you'd like an actual stock on it, you'll need to get the stamp.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

So, I'm a newbie, obviously, but I have been wondering why they give a poo poo if you have a stock or brace-thats-kinda-a-stock on an SBR. Is it just that it makes it easier to conceal and carry in somewhere as opposed to a full-size rifle, so you're getting the "power" of a rifle in a smaller size?

Also, I called the brace a stock since all the guntubers I have watched who have used this brace have just used it like a stock, which, I assume is just to play this technicality game.

EDIT: My initial plan was to just get the tax stamp but the folks at the store said I was all good, which it sounds like I am.

What happens if someone at the ATF doesn't get the correct Starbucks order on some Tuesday and randomly changes the regulation and I don't know about it?

The NFA was originally going to apply to handguns and revolvers as well. SBRs were called out to avoid people cutting down a rifle as a workaround. The handgun part was dropped but the SBR bit wasnt.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NFA was peak "gently caress poor people" nonsense that did nothing to actually prevent crime. Wild how time be a flat circle!!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Ah, so it's dumber than I even thought. Thanks for the clarifications!

I'm cool with my current brace and I guess I'll just keep an eye out for changes or get a tax stamp after we're all done dying from the 'rona.

I am kind of torn between my current telescoping stock and the folding stock that people get for the scorpion but we'll see what happens.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Folding stocks tend to have better cheek welds and all in all be better at being stocks. They frequently also lock up better. Basically any time you have to skeletonize the stock to make it a wire frame itís going to be less than ideal as a stock.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Folding stocks tend to have better cheek welds and all in all be better at being stocks. They frequently also lock up better. Basically any time you have to skeletonize the stock to make it a wire frame itís going to be less than ideal as a stock.

That makes a lot of sense. So, if I got the folding stock I would need to go get the tax stamp, yes? I just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yup

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that what you have now is not legally speaking a stock.

The ATF has changed its mind a few times about whether itís illegal or not to use that to shoulder your rifle very large pistol.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Ok. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that what you have now is not legally speaking a stock.

The ATF has changed its mind a few times about whether itís illegal or not to use that to shoulder your rifle very large pistol.

That makes sense. There was a video I was watching where a guy had something similar with a brace like mine and said the ATF said you can't shoulder fire but you can rest your cheek on it.

It's great not having consistent standards!