Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
It's more or less just going to be a copy of SA with what I hope will be better admin tools (banning users from individual subforums/threads, fix whatever is apparently making gang tags a pain in the rear end, etc.) but I'm open to other ideas about what I should add. I'll be writing it from scratch using Python and Flask. The source code will be released under Version 3 of the GNU Affero General Public License.

If you could wave a magic wand and have a new version of the forums software tomorrow, what features would you want it to have?

olives black fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

olives black posted:

It's more or less just going to be a copy of SA with what I hope will be better admin tools (banning users from individual subforums/threads, fix whatever is apparently making gang tags a pain in the rear end, etc.) but I'm open to other ideas about what I should add. I'll be writing it from scratch using Python and Flask. The source code will be released under Version 3 of the GNU Affero General Public License.

If you could wave a magic wand and have a new version of the forums software tomorrow, what features would you want it to have?

bring back dpph.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Hell Yeah posted:

bring back dpph.

the what now

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

olives black posted:

the what now

Lol

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Seriously, though, what would you want?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
More posters.

Some of the good posters from the early 00s especially.

Thanks op

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

olives black posted:

All the features I have as a mod now, a product store, subscription based, just random thoughts atm

And a Fyad zone

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mobile website is like the Awful app, including swipes for page navigation and also no FYAD.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Strife arises early,in the project....

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

How about if you want to Quote multiple people in a single post... How it is now, you click the quote button and it goes to a reply with the Quote code pasted there. It would be cool if you could have a "Add to Quotes" list that doesn't take you to the Reply window right away, and queue them up in a separate window before you're ready to write your post.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Mobile website is like the Awful app, including swipes for page navigation and also no FYAD.

GraphQL API for this.

Also is this a blessed project? Or another doomed "I'm building a replacement forums in elixir, I make 200k a year doing harder projects then a forums :smuggo:" thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
your forums rewrite needs a snappy name if it's going to succeed, op

i propose "Titan"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why would you do this? Do you understand the enormity of the task?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Why would you roll your own forums code? There’s gotta be something out there already?

Where’s the link to the xenforo github?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dads friend steve posted:

Why would you roll your own forums code? There’s gotta be something out there already?

Where’s the link to the xenforo github?

Jeffrey May roll by later, but there is a ton of custom poo poo we’re all used to here. A cots product would take years to bring up to par.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Another body to roll into the mass grave of failed goon projects.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah but I imagine a from-scratch replacement would probably take longer still

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Bring back YCS, OP.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Load bearing code

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I'll make the wiki!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

olives black posted:

we want dpph

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
2020 is the year of the GBS aircraft carrier

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Burt Sexual posted:

Why would you do this?

After years of rolling around various open source project ideas around in my head, I've found that this is the only one that I feel like starting.

Burt Sexual posted:

Do you understand the enormity of the task?

I know that it's really big. I doubt I'll have anything that I can even show people for at least a year.

Da Mott Man posted:

Also is this a blessed project? Or another doomed "I'm building a replacement forums in elixir, I make 200k a year doing harder projects then a forums :smuggo:" thing?

Time will tell, I guess. Like all from-scratch projects there is a (probably unjustified) attitude of "I can do better" behind this, but I'm experienced enough to know that this isn't a small summer project.

A Grand Egg posted:

Another body to roll into the mass grave of failed goon projects.

:kheldragar:

olives black fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 22, 2020

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My vision for the project is to synergize the strengths of our heterogeneous subforum quality bases for a post-to-roast pipeline that is architected such that an unbusted krust can be fluidly streamlined to users.

Get on it op

Regards,

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I'm already loving this project up with the thread title. Would a mod mind changing it to "Planning on coding a forum from scratch"? Thanks and God bless.

bromplicated posted:

How about if you want to Quote multiple people in a single post... How it is now, you click the quote button and it goes to a reply with the Quote code pasted there. It would be cool if you could have a "Add to Quotes" list that doesn't take you to the Reply window right away, and queue them up in a separate window before you're ready to write your post.

An interesting idea. Thank you!

olives black fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 22, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could I use the magic wand to find love, true love?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

As a user I want to get automatic posting suggestions from the forums like inserting popular memes or calling other posters gay. Ideally, you would just outline the rough shape of a post and the software just does it for you. Like, instead of typing all this I would have just typed: "dumb idea; make fun of op" and it would have created this post.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foU9W7AkKSY&t=11s

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
let me help you with the main template
code:
<html>
  <body>
    <div id="container-main">
      <div id="table">
        <div id="content">
          <table id="forums-soon">
            <div id="getting-nervous">
              <table id="almost-ready">
                <div id="ok-now">
                  <div id="extra-layer-just-in-case">
                    <table id="posts-now">
                      <div id="that-last-one-was-just-a-practice">
                        <table class="begin-posts">

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

please write all security from scratch, you can't trust what's out there these days

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it is true that you cant trust the magic numbers provided by the nsa

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 22, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

string winner = "yuo"

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Put an ARG in it

Not a good one though, just one that cant be removed and we have to post around it forever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Make posts only 280 characters long

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey op, you are probably not a bad person. Not like an axe murderer or child rapists, BUT your idea is really stupid. The open source world is like 99.9% overly ambitious projects that got abandoned at some early stage. Honestly, software development is hard and 90% of it is soul crushing tedious work and unless someone pays you to do the soul crushing parts you are not gonna do them for 2 years or however long it would have taken to get this off the ground. Like, have you ever seen a garbage man collect garbage in his free time? No? Think about it.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

gary oldmans diary posted:

let me help you with the main template
code:
<html>
  <body>
    <div id="container-main">
      <div id="table">
        <div id="content">
          <table id="forums-soon">
            <div id="getting-nervous">
              <table id="almost-ready">
                <div id="ok-now">
                  <div id="extra-layer-just-in-case">
                    <table id="posts-now">
                      <div id="that-last-one-was-just-a-practice">
                        <table class="begin-posts">

Oh I didn't know this was going to be a react app

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

GABA ghoul posted:

Hey op, you are probably not a bad person. Not like an axe murderer or child rapists, BUT your idea is really stupid. The open source world is like 99.9% overly ambitious projects that got abandoned at some early stage. Honestly, software development is hard and 90% of it is soul crushing tedious work and unless someone pays you to do the soul crushing parts you are not gonna do them for 2 years or however long it would have taken to get this off the ground. Like, have you ever seen a garbage man collect garbage in his free time? No? Think about it.

I know. I do it professionally. But out of all the stupid overly ambitious ideas that have been rattling around in my brain for years, this is the one that keeps calling out to me. I'm well aware that this is going to take me several years to do.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Just give xenforo a new stylesheet and it's done.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The ability to jack into the site like the Matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

every single poster on this god damned forum is a programmer.

olives black posted:

I know. I do it professionally. But out of all the stupid overly ambitious ideas that have been rattling around in my brain for years, this is the one that keeps calling out to me. I'm well aware that this is going to take me several years to do.

why don’t you go build it first and then post about it