Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like romcoms, here's hoping the anime gets to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it did seem more like mean-spirited bullying than s&m flirting at first. however, it quickly becomes clear that the sadist girl is approximately 1000% hornier than the masochist guy is.

The Colonel posted:

the doujins and early manga are bully stuff and then the later manga is just kind of more standard romcom

Namtab posted:

... i wish a cute girl would bully me

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
omg who is the one who has been cleaning up the code? The smilies have a filter.

also, :chast2b:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

omg who is the one who has been cleaning up the code? The smilies have a filter.

also, :chast2b:

The filter was done by Main Paineframe, feel free to send them your thanks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LEEEEEETTTTTSSSSS FUUUUUUCKKKKIIINGGGGG GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

just need Gaughan and Amano Megumi now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the early pioneers of skinfang

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/STONE_anime_off/status/1278855982676881408?s=20

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The 2nd season of Dr. Stone is going to be weird, because the first season ended right before the climax of the first part, and the stone wars isn't a long enough arc to support an entire season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nagatoro started out almost malicious but quickly turned into a standard "race to self-own" sort of series

And then the president showed up and had to make it weird.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
President is very proud of her natural abilities.

But remember The Friends balance it all out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Nagataro is at its strongest when the Friends are involved and thankfully the author is aware of that, so they are involved like every other chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like President's only shown up...a couple of times? So there's that, too.

I 'unno Nagatoro's not transcendant or anything, it's got very little depth IMO and it'll need a really lively production to be really worthwhile, but it's something I consistently look forward to reading even if it rarely stays for me very long afterwards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sometimes you just need a little light fun.

And for those of us that were socially awkward and relished the interactions we had with the people we liked (even the teasing ones) it's pretty honest.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Well the opening to BNA absolutely slaps. Thoguh is it just me or does the dubs audio balance feel really badly done?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like President's only shown up...a couple of times? So there's that, too.

I 'unno Nagatoro's not transcendant or anything, it's got very little depth IMO and it'll need a really lively production to be really worthwhile, but it's something I consistently look forward to reading even if it rarely stays for me very long afterwards.

Senpai's growth has been noticeable and the addition of Sistoro has made the last half dozen chapters or so some of my favorites

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If I couldn't handle takagi san without cringing is Nagatoro worth trying?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what made you cringe

a good chunk of nagatoro is awkward flirting where she senses some "weakness" in senpai and suddenly her arms turn into noodles that she whaps against him while making smug faces and taunting him, and half the time this somehow catastrophically backfires on her leading to self-destruction. she's a huge dork and terrible at getting closer to someone she likes and being a taunting goober is her way of getting closer to him. Note the initial chapters are a bit more sadistic than the rest of it, similar to how komi-san has some extremely terrible or creepy character writing that doesn't represent the overall work.

I do like how over the course of the fairly mundane slice of life setting, senpai has had a pretty decent character arc about standing up for himself, saying what he's thinking or making his voice heard instead of blending into the background.

the Idiot Trio is also very very good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CrazySalamander posted:

Nah, early Toro is much more cruel (Ewww you were DRAWING ME? oh I get it you're SUCH A PERVY SENPAI YUCK You're like a Worm GROSS!).

Takagi was more like "Ey Nishitaka... i like how you smile when you think you know the answer! It's....... ((cute? Funny? WEIRD?!?!??!).... It's very serene!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CrazySalamander posted:

No.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I watched a lot this season, and enjoyed most of it.

Good: Princess Connect, Kaguya-sama, Hamefura
Good when not on hiatus: Appare-ranman!, Major 2nd, Railgun
Good but also terrible and it's terrible that it's good: Gleipnir
Decent: Wave, Kakushigoto
Meh: BNA
Dropped: Arte, Bookworm, Tamayomi

I think Princess Connect does Konosuba better than Konosuba does. It's at least as funny but manages to be really earnest and heartwarming at the same time.

Railgun has always been very hit-or-miss for me and this season has been really surprising with lots of great episodes and effective Character Stuff.

Gleipnir is weirdly compelling and I couldn't look away. Really twisted show.

BNA was extremely stylish, but the obvious racism metaphor it was built on was executed very naively and stepped into a lot of unfortunate-implications potholes as a result.

I hope Appare-ranman! decides to exist again someday, because the few episodes that aired before the production halted were fantastic.

Also, Great Pretender is very good so far from the few episodes I've seen. I guess that's considered part of summer season? Next season looks very light otherwise. I'm looking forward to Oregairu's finale crushing my soul and beyond that I have no idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

esselfortium posted:

I watched a lot this season, and enjoyed most of it.

Good: Princess Connect, Kaguya-sama, Hamefura
Good when not on hiatus: Appare-ranman!, Major 2nd, Railgun
Good but also terrible and it's terrible that it's good: Gleipnir
Decent: Wave, Kakushigoto
Meh: BNA
Dropped: Arte, Bookworm, Tamayomi

I think Princess Connect does Konosuba better than Konosuba does. It's at least as funny but manages to be really earnest and heartwarming at the same time.

Railgun has always been very hit-or-miss for me and this season has been really surprising with lots of great episodes and effective Character Stuff.

Gleipnir is weirdly compelling and I couldn't look away. Really twisted show.

BNA was extremely stylish, but the obvious racism metaphor it was built on was executed very naively and stepped into a lot of unfortunate-implications potholes as a result.

I hope Appare-ranman! decides to exist again someday, because the few episodes that aired before the production halted were fantastic.

Also, Great Pretender is very good so far from the few episodes I've seen. I guess that's considered part of summer season? Next season looks very light otherwise. I'm looking forward to Oregairu's finale crushing my soul and beyond that I have no idea.

Appare-Ranman! returns... today! At least according to AnimeLab's seasonal lineup.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

esselfortium posted:

pretty sure it's running in summer season

MAL's weird draconian rules about where to file stuff has made their seasonal listings awfully unhelpful lately since several shows that got postponed and are running in summer are totally absent from the summer season page. plus anytime jp netflix puts episodes of something up early they freak out and remove it from the TV listings even if it's a TV anime

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Appare-Ranman! returns... today! At least according to AnimeLab's seasonal lineup.

Woah, nice! Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

pretty sure it's running in summer season

MAL's weird draconian rules about where to file stuff has made their seasonal listings awfully unhelpful lately since several shows that got postponed and are running in summer are totally absent from the summer season page. plus anytime jp netflix puts episodes of something up early they freak out and remove it from the TV listings even if it's a TV anime

Yeah, Anichart has been way more useful for organizing shows for these seasonal threads for the last couple of years, though I still cross check both lists since sometimes something is missing on one of them. Anyways new thread will be up today- might be in a few hours, might be later tonight, depending on how lazy I'm feeling. Still debating on how to incorporate shows that got delayed partway through airing, I'm thinking that I'll just make a separate section in the OP dedicated to them so that the completely new stuff doesn't get bogged down with a bunch of stuff from last season. (The stuff that didn't air at all like re:zero s2 and snafu s3 will still be considered new, but digimon adventure: and Millionaire Detective won't be)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1278976936606236672

been waiting for this one, hope it's good

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"The Misfit of Demon King Academy" sounds like a light novel designed by AI.

Why is "demon king" even a thing, anyway. You'd think authors would feel bad about reusing that same concept so literally over and over again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"The Misfit of Demon King Academy" sounds like a light novel designed by AI.

Why is "demon king" even a thing, anyway. You'd think authors would feel bad about reusing that same concept so literally over and over again.

Hasn't stopped the isekai crowd yet :v:.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
why are elves even a thing, anyway. you'd think authors would feel bad about reusing that same concept so literally over and over again.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

why are humans even a thing, anyway. you'd think authors would feel bad about reusing that same concept so literally over and over again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone stop and look at this motherfucker who's reusing concepts

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
duly elected Demon President when

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I read some of the The Misfit of Demon King Academy manga. It's basically an isekai power trip where the reincarnated demon king goes to evil Hogwarts where everyone is Slitheryn. The manga was worth a look just because the art was so good, but I'm not sure it will work as an anime. Or maybe it will. It might actually get into 'so bad it's good' territory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iruma-kun already has the demon school market cornered anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Why is "demon king" even a thing, anyway.
90% of the time the "demon king" is just kind of snide or a smartass and their inner dialog counters it

:skeltal: "Wah ha hah. I will OPEN THE GATES OF TARTARUS on your empire for this insult!"

:nsallears: "oh man oh man this is a jam WOAH the empress is a TOTAL BAAAAABE!"

The other 10% is an excuse to do massively overpowered isekai stuff.

Also we need a Demon King 3x3 alignment chart. Maple for Chaotic Good, Sadou for Chaotic neutral, Ainz for Lawful Evil?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 3, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the problem with acting surprised about media reusing tropes and concepts is that if genre tropes did not exist badly written stories would still be badly written

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I'm enjoying the novels a lot and I really like what I've seen of the anime character designs, hope it all comes together well in motion.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should put in some races not used in every fantasy manga already. dwarfs, satyrs, dwarfs, lizardmen, dwarfs, maybe some dwarfs

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's basically an isekai power trip where the reincarnated demon king goes to evil Hogwarts where everyone is Slitheryn.

you can just say it's a academy for demons

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I recall, demon kings as big nasty monsters for the chosen hero to defeat are mainly a Dragon Quest thing, but demon kings in general are basically just the Buddhist deity Enma mashed up (to a greater or lesser extent) with Satan, and have been showing up since pretty much forever as both heroes and villains in anime and manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Flower posted:

you can just say it's a academy for demons
An izekai hogwarts where everyone has Lvl99+Ultra end-game magic tho.