Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Can we skip the hand wringing part of Gleipnir and go to the part where everyone watches it and jacks off anyway.

Gleipnirs a really cool comic I'm still a fan of even when it is translated infrequently.

The symbiotic relationship of the partnership is treated as a sexual partnership too and theres some drama that comes from that. It's both interesting and too sexy (lots of nudity and allusions to sexual relationships) and too dark for most people here, (it's not a fun adventure with no consequences, everything has tremendous weight and cost) so I don't see it becoming a very popular watch in this crowd. Its less exploitative than most of the death game stuff that gets adapted though, that heavy consequences for every action aspect of it is pretty universal.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i lust for death

Theres a lot of it, it's just also really lacking in the IM SO CRAZY WOOO lame villains that a lot of death games do, everybody has good reasons for what they do even if they're unsavory or the people doing them a bit broken.

It's a neat aspect of the story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RottenK posted:

what turned me away from Gleipnir after being initially interested by the trailer is that people are saying its a death game story and i hate those :|

It's structurally similar to death game stories but from whats out now and translated I'd say its way more an action mystery. A heavily layered story with a cast of characters that seem strangers at first but turn out to be incredibly interconnected. Sometimes they fight and when they fight people die because the stakes are high.

The weakness of genre tags...

I'd honestly say it has a lot more in common tone and theme wise to critically acclaimed visual novel stuff. There's definitely a bit of fate as an inspiration I think.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 7, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm also just talking about the comic cause I don't normally like to watch anime adaptions of things I already am a fan of.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gleipnir seems cool. I guess I'll check it out.

I like it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

are we done with the mediocre followup owns or are they just going to keep coming until his probe expires

Devil's Elephant.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Splode posted:

See the problem with Isekai is even in a bullshit power fantasy nonsense land where some teenager can master and implement thousands of years of technological development in a few months, it's simply too hard to not participate and uphold institutionalised slavery. THAT would just be too out there. Now, watch as a middling highschool student develops porcelain because they had an art class three years ago where they made clay pots.

Isekai is pointless wish fulfillment fantasy crap with no complications and no personal growth. "What if I woke up and I was just the best and amazing without changing, also slavery is maybe not that bad especially if I get subservient women out of it". Just, yikes. I've never seen something more actively targeted at people who are just, well, losers. They don't want things to actually be better for everyone, just themselves.

Anyway I shut up for like ten pages of isekai chat so you deserved it. Cuff me mods I'll come quietly.

Isekai isn't a genre, its an appendix to the narrative, a single piece of the story structure that can be written both poorly and well. Dealing with absolutes absolutely bores me. You have to engage with criticism of a work on a work by work basis. Sweeping generalizations have very little use to me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Splode posted:

It is absolutely a genre, and pretty much everything in the genre is bad. The very few examples that aren't bad would absolutely be better if the Isekai elements were removed from the story. Generalisations can be useful when the exact same problems with similar shows keep happening

It's not, there are fantasy isekai and sci fi isekai and drama isekai and romance isekai and historical isekai, isekai that are for every demographic and age group. It's a narrative device that can work in any genre.

Generalizations are hardly ever useful because they become assumptions that then become misused entirely as they are more well known. Thinking of what happened to the bechdel test and phrases like manic pixie dream girl. It's a way to not have to use your words like you are doing right now.

You can just say all isekai are bad and thats why this one piece is bad without describing whats bad about it. It becomes even less endearing when somebody speaks with absolute authority about something they are barely familiar with themselves.

There are a lot of isekai constructions that could be removed and improve the story but that is not any sort of universal truth. Thinking about Wolf here whos nature is entirely predicated on being a stranger in a strange land.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 28, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also thinking about the classic evolution of 'all anime is crap' or 'all rap is crap' posters who then become more familiar with the corpus and have to keep appending except for this, this, this, this, this, and this one, where the number of 'this'es keeps increasing towards infinity as they enjoy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chaosiums call of cthulhu stuff was and does remain rather popular, including comiket still having doujins and replays of games of it every year.

https://imgur.com/gallery/L76LU

Here's somebody who just went on a tear and bought everything they could find.