Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Balance Unlimited and Woodpecker Detective Agency are my only picks for now. I'm curious about the racing show but will probably wait for after the season on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad CR at least got one of the detective shows I was planning to watch and funi didn't end up with both of them but I was kinda hoping to not have to deal w/having to separately track down a show this season, alas.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dzhay posted:

:monocle:

I mean, I'm glad, but is there still enough of a fanbase?

a bunch of the pro BL artists I follow just flooded my tl with their Tiger & Bunny doujins

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Balance Unlimited is ridiculous, will possibly be very fun to watch though

when he just lets the other guy fall off the bridge instead of helping him
I've been laughing about that for like 20 minutes

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 9, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
OP and ED are very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_8J1r6U94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7elPfOYdHcw

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started to watch Woodpecker Detective Office but the frame story setup immediately kicked me out of it: the story is a flashback and in the present one character has been dead for 10 years which is not a bad frame for the story but sets a tone that's going to color my perception of the rest of the show and that's not something I'm in the mood for at this point. I'm putting this one on the back burner for now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

well, the detectives are real people so its just copying history like ethat
yeah, the PVs were pretty lighthearted though and it seemed to be more of a fictionalized setting. It's not a knock against the show I'm just not going to be able to watch it right now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

thank god balance unlimited is here
seriously; that's looking like my only show this season so I hope it doesn't poo poo the bed

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what the gently caress

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need to watch one specific anime so bad I wish people were dying for it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Draxion posted:

all isekais made after 1993 know is slavery, weird sexualizing of minors, wish fulfillment, be mmos, eat hot chip & lie

I heard this in the McGuirk voice

e: to not be entirely white noise
I don't feel like going through 75 pages of the wholesome isekai thread but someone made a point I thought was good about how a lot of these stories that contain slavery make concessions so that it doesn't *seem* quite as bad -- like, oh yes while the MC *is* complicit in perpetuating this system it's ok because they feel bad about it/don't beat their slaves like everyone else/it's just how this world is and they have to work with that/etc. and it's still like...ok but the slavery is still there and they're still participating in it as a slaveowner, and it's valid to say hey this is kind of hosed up and I wish the story wasn't doing this.

That's not to say fiction can't use slavery as a narrative device but it seems like a lot of times rather than having something to say about it's just a shortcut to demonstrating why everyone in the isekai world is bad and why the protagonist is good/better than, and/or also a way to attach one or more female characters to a male lead in the grosser ones.

Slavery is one of the things that will make me nope out of fiction and it's also a pretty common romance novel setup -- one that's been getting a lot of discussion on my twitter tl lately is The Captive Prince because it's getting a manga? adaption or something? I don't remember. It's an older but well regarded m/m fantasy romance novel that a lot of people like because it was one of the first they read, but there's also a lot of discourse about romanticizing slavery and power imbalances inherent in master/slave relationships and so on. I haven't read it so I can't really speak to whether it contains any of that or how well (if at all) it addresses the evils of slavery but iirc they do abolish the system by the end of the first book. Anyway, all that said, it ends up not really mattering to me one way or another because just having a book built around one of the main characters being a slave or holding slaves is very uncomfortable for me to read so it's something I prefer to avoid entirely. SO being aware of it is nice to know up front. Even if Bookworm isn't doing precisely that sort of thing it still sounds like the kind of content I'd want to not have sprung on me unexpectedly after I got invested, thinking back to how the one about the older adventurer getting roped into being a hero got his very own beast girl slave with a womb tattoo which was not a thing I expected to stumble into (but wish I'd seen the volume cover before hand so I could have avoided reading it entirely).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 27, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think one disconnect happening is some folks are focused at the character's actions within the context of what the story has set up, where other folks are looking at the situation the story has set up to begin with -- why do the orphans have to be that young for instance? There may be a reason, this could be a discussion re: was it historically appropriate? if so was it absolutely necessary or could they have been aged up to be idk 12-13 without really changing the story that much but not be so off-putting to a reader/viewer? I'm not asking to debate that particular point because I have not read or watched this thing, but am just wanting to point out that criticism of a character's actions may be making a point about authorial choices about the story overall rather than trying to say "character bad for doing x"

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 28, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like when a critical statement is made like "this character participates in institutionalize slavery and this bothers me" the defense of "well the character has no choice because they have no power in the story to make changes" kind of misses the point because the reason they have no power is that's what the author wrote -- if the author intended for them to object more strongly to this system or do something to change it they could have been given the power to do so, and weren't. The reasons why they were written to have to work within a distasteful situation might make sense; historically appropriate maybe? I thought the post pointing out that her actions were parallel to what led to real-world revolutions and reforms was interesting -- without context of reading it I have no idea if that's what's going on but that feels like a pretty valid reason for portraying this sort of system. I think there still is room to say ok but were other choices made to make this feel more gratuitous or whatever, and did it have to be that way?

If it's a thing that bothers people regardless, pointing out a character had no choice isn't going to make it bother them less because it's fundamental to the scenario and the problem is then not with the character but with the whole setup that led to the character taking those actions, i.e. participating in slavery in whatever form.
e: this basically lol

Srice posted:

Me thinking about the child slaves I own and the circumstances that led to this: Well, I guess it can't be helped!

e2: and thinking about colonel's post, if you removed the isekai element and the MC was...idk just some mid-level church official with some modest level of power & influence puttering around doing more or less the same actions of the Bookworm MC you'd probably still end up in the same place wrt participation in a system of slavery and whether or not people take issue with that, so "isekai bad" hot takes don't really address this specific problem even if bad isekai is notorious for using slavery in a gross way. On the other hand that may leave people feeling less charitable toward an isekai story that slavery shows up in regardless of how it's being used :shrug:

this was actually meant to be an edit of my other post but several other posts happened so I just made a new one :shobon:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

macabresca posted:

I started watching Drifting Dragons because it looked slightly more interesting than the majority of Netflix originals and I quite enjoyed it - it has likeable cast and focuses on their lives on a cool steampunk zeppelin - until I realised that it's... pro whaling? With dragons standing in for whales? I don't think I've ever seen a series talking about that

If you liked the show please check out the manga because the horrible cgi sucks all the life and charm out of the original art. You can read part of it on CR: https://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/drifting-dragons/volumes or buy it from Kodansha: https://kodanshacomics.com/series/drifting-dragons/ & it's on sale right now btw

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
my issue is less with cgi in general and more with that ugly style the recent Netflix shows have been done in, especially when they use it on an adaption of something with really distinctive and beautiful art.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like this older dad-like character's look

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh no we're all on the hook for our anime toxxes again

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
duly elected Demon President when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Has a Gridiron Football or Basketball player/team ever gotten isekai'd?

the mc of The Titan's Bride is a basketball player (high school)