Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda wish Shiori Experience had spawned a series of imitators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GyroNinja posted:

Not even Shinji Matou wants to be Shinji Matou.
Not even Kariya?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for the take "Bakarina is problematic as it romanticises aristocracy".
Personally, I'm waiting for someone to call attention to the fact that Bakarina seems to constantly be doing a number to her poor tummy from her practically freebasing sweets. Moderation, tiny one! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the main reason i'm interested in bakarina is because i heard the girls have as much of a crush on the mc as everyone else lol
She's awesome. Of course she's going to have a harem including girls. Also, inner Bakarina congress/judiciary(/board of directors?) is a thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sinky posted:

I Got Hit By A Truck And Woke Up As An SA Mod
Technically a KIA, but close enough! :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like they should've gone for mumble rap instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Yeah, plus you need soundproof studios, which are both large and expensive.
Eh, that's not necessarily the case anymore. Makeshift studios and the technology to make home-bound recording studios fairly good is way more accessible nowadays.

That being said: Grouchio, please consider just how tone deaf your post came off as. People whose jobs are deemed "essential" are often placed at a higher risk than average. I know entertainment and hobbies are among the things that often bring joy to our lives in ways that other things in life just plainly don't do so with the consistency of those, and that your favorite anime/band/artist/author/etcetera coming back with new material is often high-reason to get excited...

... but not at that much of a risk. It's just not worth it. Not with how crappy things are already for a boatload of people working in a number of industries, anime-making included. It's not worth it. Losing friends to this pandemic has sucked hard.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds pretty loving metal: :black101: The Devil's Elephant! Stampeding through the hordes! The Devil's Elephant! A harbinger or ruin!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And I just realized the misspelling. :cripes:

Back to the topic of this thread, I haven't really watched anything besides Bakarina, Kaguya, Princess Connect and Gleipnir. Is BNA worth a spin?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Little Witch Academia kinda stumbled for me early on, but after like 6 or so episodes, I was all the gently caress in. It was so fun. :3:

Gridman would've been my 2018 anime of the year had Zombie Idol Unit not been a thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also the OP for Project x Zone I, which has high Imaishi vibes throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WqBNRzhbs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How did the back half of Darling in the Franxx have nothing to do with them, just out of curiosity? (Haven't seen the show)
IIRC, Franxx was a collab between Trigger and A-1 Pictures (I think that the studio that worked on Franxx eventually ended up becoming CloverWorks? And they did FGO Babylonia plus Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai), but someone here probably has a better idea on which studio did what and such.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it isnt really a studio thing, the directors just on record saying they had no real plan for the story as they went into production. It feels random and unfocused because they made it up as they went. Obviously not literally week to week, but there was no grand vision or anything
That's a bummer. Like you go into a work all wild-eyed and all of a sudden you black out and get blocked. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget that there's like 6 or so adaptations of Devilman! :eng101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Hooray. This is definitely my favorite raildex season because It turns out that Touma and Mikoto become exponentially better when Gunha and Misaki are around.
Like I know that the Raildex series is shounen AF, but I still find it somewhat hilarious that a super traditional "shounen manga"-esque hero like Gunha feels like a breath of fresh air compared to Touma and Bug Zapper Biribiri.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

Tanya is the biggest slave of them all: to religion
She's sensitive about that! :ssh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo. Yeah, that's Mark Arm and Steve Turner.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Gee, orgy

DUH
:frogout:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Vision of Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth or 12 Kingdoms would work as well without the "trapped in another world" device, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I was reincarnated into another world and I had a good time. Drank some ale. Chopped some wood. Smoked some Cocoa bean. Had some Trysts. Gambled some of my wages away. Smacked a spiky-haired kid upside the head. Good life"

Or is that too long?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has an isekai story ever done the thing that, instead of RPG interfaces... they use a sanity meter? :raise:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

i think the big thing is that i don't recall light novel adaptations saturating the market quite so thoroughly 10 years ago. that the isekai fad has also coincided with light novel adaptations exploding as well, and the substantial overlap between these two things, creates the impression of a separate genre.

that being said if "steampunk" can be a genre i don't see why isekai can't be one too
Light novel adaptations probably started their current boom that hasn't quite stopped at around 2005-2006 probably. Though a lot of really popular LN's had gotten their turn in years past (Boogiepoop Phantom, Slayers, Eternal Filena, Dirty Pair, Legend of the Galactic Heroes among the most popular). Hell, Digital Devil Story itself got 3 adaptations: An OVA which more or less faithfully covers the 1st novel, the PC game which is a top-view dungeon explorer and the game that's basically responsible for the Shin Megami Tensei Persona franchise.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clitch posted:

The common transliteration for George in Japanese is Jyoji.
:twisted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

\(・ω・\)SAN値!(/・ω・)/ピンチ!\(・ω・\)SAN値!(/・ω・)/ピンチ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8cAv_gl6dk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Tarnation, Fangz! Now my dumb post doesn't work as well! :argh:

Fangz posted:

What things do these works that you haven't seen have in common
Person in our world (and to be more specific, from Japan) gets killed/dies in our world and gets reincarnated into another world, with broken as poo poo potential powers (Slime), a cheat item useless goddess (Konosuba), her knowledge of how to make paper (book buddy). Friendships are (sorta) made, progress is done, :byodood: lives will be lost, children will grieve, entire nations will crumble and blood will run deep, BUT WE WILL BE REDEEMED!

... sorry. :sweatdrop: But yeah, there are definite similarities in the beginning, but not all that much afterward. Or at least, for some series.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 29, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whyd'ya think they started calling him Crapuma/Kazutrash? :haw:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zetsubou-san posted:

she looks really familiar and I can't quite place the show, pls hlp :shobon:
Magane Chikujoin from Re:Creators. Voiced by the ever delightful Maaya Sakamoto. The cheeriest psycho ever! :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the show had an interesting premise and it just... farted it out.

Endorph posted:

The recap episode is also just the animators bitching about the show via the characters, so thats really funny
The 4koma that came after each week's episode also had some pizzazz.:mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Džordž
Togashi is that you? :monocle:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Bakarina is fun. I think her single-minded pursuit to not get herself killed/exiled (and the pains that she goes through to actually train herself to face those odds just in case) make her legit charming as heck.

Plus the dumb faces that she cycles through are priceless, as the one in the OP facing her actual biggest enemy can attest to:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

Been tracking Kansas City for 20 years. Though I had it once, but it was just a double.
Was it perhaps lost in the shuffle?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait so Tower of God has a self insert protagonist having to climb something with a whole bunch of levels in order to gain some nebulous goal? Isn't this just Korean SAO?
Tower of God has Rak Wraithraiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4GSNNCXl8

SAO does not. Ergo, Tower of God is better. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dorohedoro can and will get gorier from there on. It also gets funnier, weirder and even more heartwarming.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also timing. Like literally a lot of the peeps that worked for One Punch Man's first season and... I want to say Concrete Revolutio? came down to "right place, right time" circumstances.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Yeah, considering they aren't using any UNREAL ENGINE SOFTWARE. Jesus christ that simple aquisition would solve so many problems with cg.
It's not so simple as to just having the tool in your arsenal. It also comes down to knowing how to use it.

Here's an example: I learned how to do audio recording via analog magnetic tape during my boyhood years. To the extent that it proved useful for my idiosyncrasies as a recording engineer because it made me less reliant on the whole cut & paste which forced me to be more proficient as a performer. Unfortunately, it also made my recording skillset a fair deal more limited, so even after having worked on records since 2001, when it came time to learn the things I now use pretty much everyday on the job, I basically had to retrain myself, which had to go beyond what I learned on music school and whatnot.

Basically...

The Colonel posted:

there's no magic "make good cg" program or engine

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it normal to go down the head count for idol units?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. I thought I saw those same designs on the photo that included a buttload of cute girls and whatnot. Well, here's hoping we go 9 9 9 and hit some kinda jackpot. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, the CG in Dorohedoro was nothing to write home about and that was still entertaining as hell. Granted, I'm a fan of the manga so I might be biased.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A buddy said it had a "grungy sort of charm" and, honestly, that seems like a pretty good description. The manga was one of the first things I started using online readers to keep following up on. So seeing it animated has been a real blast.

Hearing the En family voiced was such a delight, especially Shin and Noi who are perfectly cast. Both Yoshimasa Hosoya and Junya Enoki (in the backstory sections) give Shin a certain quality where he seems like the kind of guy who you'd be totally best bros with, even with the fight-happy tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Grouchio, please take into account that, barring what studios such as Kyoto Animation and similars do, a ton of peeps in Japan that work in animation are not well-paid. Like. At all.

Yes, some may have the means to still work, but the majority of them probably already have a hard time as is keeping the lights on at home, so please take it easy. If you want to help a few of them and have the means to do so, you can always head on to the most recent animator dormitory project and lend a monetary helping hand.