Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Before you guys forget, they added a final post-credits scene in Re Zero director's cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thoom posted:

How much did the Director's Cut end up adding/changing? I kind of tuned out after looking up a summary of changes of the first episode and it was
THERE IS A CLIFFHANGER AT THE END
HERE IT BE

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 1, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is Gyaru Dinosaur popular again? It isn't even Pop Team Epic

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Davincie posted:

so hes a simp. simp knight
I want that word banned

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In good news the Kimetsu film has been delayed to October 10th, rather than indefinitely.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1249388397375913985?s=20

:ohdear:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm worried that a bunch of Summer anime will get delayed as well if Japan doesn't GIST

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

they probably will regardless

there are effects all throughout the pipeline because of use of outsourcing studios that are in other countries. some productions just won't be able to handle it and choose to delay/cancel, or could have production quality degrade
If RE:ZERO S2 gets delayed again I swear to god...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

there's definitely going to be more delays both later this season and next season, hopefully it's not a bloodbath though.
This apocalypse sucks now. :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder which studios are better prepared/protected than others.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Tencent trying to take over Anime production? :stare:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What will it take for the Japanese diet to declare anime an essential industryyyy :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chumbler posted:

Grouchio, it is better for people to stay home and separated in pandemics, particular if they would be working in crowded office settings.
Yes you are right. It is also better for at least some good shows to still air in the Summer. That is a hope I cling onto.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/goliraman12/status/1250780733217497092?s=20
Phew.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't exactly remember my backlog ever since I graduated from college in 2017.
Let's review what i've seen:

Spirited Away (2003)
Dragonball/Z/GT (2003-07)
Totoro (2005)
Princess Monomoke (2006)
Inuyasha (2007)
Naruto (2007-2010)
One Piece (2008-2011)
Code Geass (2008)
Bleach (2008-2010)
Soul Eater (2009)
Highschool of the Dead (2010)
Elfen Lied (2010)
FMA Brotherhood (2010)
End of Evangelion (2010)
Baccano (2010)
Hellsing Ultimate (2010~2014)
Berserk (2011)
Gantz (2011)
Basilisk (2012)
Black Lagoon (2012)
Monogatari (Bake and Nise) (2012)
D Grayman (2012)
Durarara (2012)
Fairy Tail (2012)
Half of Gurren Lagann (2012)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (2012, 2015)
Chuunibiyou (2012)
Haganai (2013)
Sengoku Basara (2013)
Attack on Titan (2013)
Valrave (2013)
Monogatari (Second) (2013)
Another (2013)
Jojo Series (2013-)
Shin Sekai Yori (2014)
Nobunaga the Fool (2014)
Hunter X Hunter (2014)
Magi (2014)
Nisekoi (2014)
Tokyo Ghoul (2014)
Psycho Pass (2014)
Bunch of Ecchi (2014-)
Fate UBW (2014-15)
Parasyte (2015)
Kekkai Sensen (2015)
Food Wars (2015)
Death Parade (2015)
Gangsta (2015)
Gatchaman Crowds (2015)
Madoka (2015)
Overlord (2015-18)
Monster Musume (2015)
Aku no Hana (2015)
One Punch Man (2015)
Prison School (2015)
Shimoneta (2015)
Legend of Arslan (2015)
Gate (2016)
Fate Zero (2016)
Kabaneri (2016)
Gankutsuou (2016)
Konosuba (2016-)
Re:Zero (2016-)
91 Days (2016)
Mob Psycho 100 (2016)
Musaigen (2016)
Fate/Apocrypha (2017)
Little Witch Academia (2017)
Maidragon (2017)
My Hero Academia (2017-)
Third of Re/Creators (2017)
Welcome to Ballroom (2017)
Devilman Crybaby (2018)
Houseki no Kuni (2018)
Made in Abyss (2018)
Asobi Asobase (2018)
Darling Franxx (2018)
Hanebado (2018)
Slime Isekai (2018-)
Isekai Maou (2018)
El Melloi Case Files (2019)
Fate/Babylonia (2019-20)
Hinamatsuri (2019)
Kakegurui (2019)
Cautious Hero (2019)
Demon Slayer (2019)
Fire Force (2019)
Kaguya-Sama (2019-)
Isekai Quartet (2019-)
Dorohedoro (2020-)
Interspecies Reviewers (2020)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

Saved the best for last, I see.
It's by chronological order but yes

Endorph posted:

wait, you were freaking out about how there will be no anime to watch and youve barely seen anime made before 2010?
I was. And then I remembered of all the good poo poo I did in fact miss and should cover the season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Grouchio's list includes End of Evangelion, but not Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I know enough of the whole plot, and have watched enough clips and scenes, that I feel that a full watch would add nothing.

(And as an aside, the chronology is by the year I watched them, not the year they came out)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

How do you live like this?
I have, since middle school, imposed a strict time limitation on how much anime I can watch per day, compared to my other hobbies, to my work, or to real life. I have cowarded out of many anime on occasion because I felt that it would conflict with my internal schedule, or that I felt that I did not have enough time to marathon it in, say, a weekend or a week. So I would dither on my backlog as the days passed, until I no longer had the will to watch them. I have lived like this for the past 11 years.

Going back to Evangelion, I felt that, knowing enough about the series, warranted I not putting it on my internal schedule. I have other anime to watch, other things to do.

I'm pretty sure these mind goblins date back to when I sat through Naruto and Bleach, and after a few years coming to the conclusion that the stories I was invested in were a colossal waste of my time and a waste of my passion. So from then on I would prioritize and cherry pick what I would watch (mostly action/adventure/comedy), because I had the impression that I had very little time alloted for this.

Jesus christ is my dedication to my pursuits half-assed. How do I fix this mind goblin?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The other part of my mind goblins, that I forgot to mention, is that I suffer anxiety from wanting to watch something good, then going 'aw geez can I handle this after hyping myself for so long?'

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lessail posted:

i think it is time for the story about reincarnating as sephiroth. we as a society are ready for it
It turns into the greatest Yaoi lovestory ever told.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

Power fantasies are fine and can be enjoyable and valuable art.
Please explain. I've felt bad about enjoying them for a long time cause everyone's writing them off as garbage.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Varinn posted:

a lot of the lovely isekai, tho, tends to be about going to a world that confirms everything you believed already. the kinds of people you don't like? they're actual evil villains here, so it's okay to beat the poo poo out of them to help people. you don't have to learn new things, the stuff you already know makes you perfect here. the world doesn't help the protagonist change for the better, the protagonist goes into a world that is changed to be perfect for them. its why, i think, people conflate this with power fantasy, even though a lot of good quality stuff is also power fantasy.
Re Zero I feel really turns this on its head throughout the first season, cause our subaru constantly eats poo poo from his assumptions about isekai backfiring and has to learn from them and improve as a character to move anywhere towards his goals; something I really appreciate about that series. Plus most of the cast can beat him in a fight easily and his powers involve groundhog day loops he has no control over, through constant agony and death, which sucks. And we're just getting started, with the best cliffhanger of all time.

I too am talking out of my rear end.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sinky posted:

I Got Hit By A Truck And Woke Up As An SA Mod
How does that make you feel? :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ranzear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9FPQVOhw8Q

I may have commented during the actual watching that she did the sleeve pull too soon, aside from batting right. It should be just before returning the bat to ready stance, but that was left out anyway.

I didn't realize I was kinda into baseball until I realized I knew Ichiro's full routine.
Ha ha. Hee hee. Hoo hoo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

what does sustainable war even mean
Before the French Revolution most wars in history were not very drawn out conflicts, since most of them ended in decisive battles that knocked one of the sides out of the war, if not out of existence. Marathon, Hastings, Poltava, Manzikert to name a few. With few exceptions most powers could only field small professional or mercenary armies that were un-replenishable in the event of a major defeat.

This all changed with the French Revolution, in which an entire nation's population could be mobilized for war; whether it for combat or wartime industry. By World War I, knockout battles were considered a relic of the past, now replaced by trench warfare involving millions of conscripted reserves. That, I believe, is sustainable warfare.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dessel posted:

Yeah not sure if you're shitposting but this is decidedly not what the show is going for, more like some sort of "limited war games played within some sort of rule set" or something similarly dumb.
I was answering his question about what sustainable warfare means (as i saw it)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait is this the delayed film?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I pray that either 1) Japan ends its nation-wide lockdown before July or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.
Provided that the Diet ever gets poo poo done, that is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That's not what I meant to say. I hope the amount of cases drops enough by July that some non-essential businesses can reopen (with social distancing), so that the summer season isn't delayed as well. I don't want all the voice actors or studios to go out of business/become destitute.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

How about instead of wishing that people would be put in bodily peril so you can watch your Japanese cartoons, you hope that the anime studios develop effective work from home workflows to continue bringing the content safely.
Dear thread: I should have just said that. I was skeptical if they would even consider that. I also didn't get that anime = essential = more deaths. My apologies for being so tone-deaf everyone.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

go watch tenamonya voyagers grouchio
Challenge completed. :kamina:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

you know the show you just watched grouchio? they made it before the year 2007. believe it or not, they made anime for 50 years before 2007. imagine how much anime that is.
If you must know, most of my youth was spent watching the anime that I thought would be either popular or acclaimed enough that I could have in-person discussions on, before discord was a thing.

But you're not here for excuses. You're just here to make fun of me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 28, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Agronox posted:

I don’t think Call of Cthulhu ever got much play in Japan.

Maybe it’s kind of implicit in Re:Zero.
It will get expanded upon next season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Whyd'ya think they started calling him Crapuma/Kazutrash? :haw:
You mean Kuzusuma?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/uelPzYQ.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

If Yui doesn't win, what even was the point of all this?
Kuudere Uber Alles

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Catarina x EVERYONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The issue is that TV production schedules/budgets means that its extremely hard to do good cgi.
Yeah, considering they aren't using any UNREAL ENGINE SOFTWARE. Jesus christ that simple aquisition would solve so many problems with cg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Japan is lifting Covid restrictions on 39 of it's 47 prefectures, with the exception of Tokyo and Osaka. Are the production studios stuck in Tokyo metro?