Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kakushigoto is great and I love the art style. It's giving me SZS vibes and welp I guess that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

You also don't refer to a group of soldiers as "Troop" in the singular.

This is Goof Troop erasure

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Second ep of Tamayomi wasn't much of an improvement over the first, but it was enough for me to stick around to see what an actual game will be like because I've been watching a lot of Jomboy and SBNation over the past year. The CG when they were practicing catching looked rough though.

The preview art made me hope for something like Hanebado, which this definitely isn't. I've been chasing that high for the past couple of seasons but it seems like that show was more of an outlier. I'm also not a fan of the "creepy lesbian that doesn't understand boundaries" archetype that seems to be in every hobby show I've watched in the past year.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 12, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not going to be for everyone but Nami yo Kiitekure is growing on me. Minare is extremely relatable and it's interesting to learn about Japanese radio and everyday Hokkaido life.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

"Persian Fire" is a good one, hadn't seen it before.

Grandgore sounds badass, I wanna catch that

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Dang this looks slick, how does it compare to MAL? Apparently I'm still a mod for the ADTRW group.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Julias posted:

Wait, there's an ADTRW MAL group? This is the first time I've heard about it :pwn:

https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=1151

It's very old and doesn't look like it's been used in forever, but people can still join it if they want. I just started using MAL again since I stopped watching anime in 2010 or so and it's been real handy for getting recommendations on stuff I missed. Still, I wouldn't mind importing the data to the other site to see what kind of recommendations it gives me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Strange Quark posted:

I still favor MAL mostly for its functionality with https://anime.plus/

This is cool and seems to be giving me some decent recommendations for things to take a peek at. Thanks!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy cow

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS2 SAC game's actually half-decent too.

It's been a while since I played but I remember the gameplay being good and reminiscent of Oni, which is itself heavily inspired by GitS. The story is bang on for a SAC game, to the point where if you want another few episodes of SAC it's worth playing for that alone. I think it takes place between seasons 1 and 2.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Splode posted:

Huh, I'm not familiar with whatever the formal Isekai definition is, but I've always considered it loser dies and is reincarnated in a fantasy world (usually their favourite videogame).

People keep recommending these shows to me, and every time I give them a chance, and every time they're garbage. Generalisations are necessary for my sanity

Is there a name for this story conceit specifically, because that's what I thought isekai was until I was told it encompassed anything where a contemporary person is put in a fantastical setting. I never thought of Escaflowne as being part of the genre but it makes sense, and it never crossed my mind because they don't do the thing where Hitomi is super awesome and great because of her knowledge of nerd tropes.

The only show I can stomach knowing it's an isekai is Youjo Senki, and that's because it's great to watch the rear end in a top hat main character with a superiority complex constantly getting poo poo on despite all of their meticulous gaming of the system.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy gently caress Nami yo Kiitekure is taking a hell of a turn.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tamba posted:

This, but even more so

gently caress is this week's episode out now? I usually save my anime watching for a batch on Saturday but now you got me all riled up.

Sindai posted:

Nami yo Kiitekure is extremely good.

poo poo man.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My watching order is usually

1. Kaguya
  2. Kakushigoto
  3. Sing Yesterday for Me
  4. Nami yo Kiitekure
  5. Fruits Basket/Tamayomi

Start with Kaguya because it's gut-bustingly funny. Move on to Kakushigoto because it's funny but it's also got heartwarming parenting moments so it tapers me down for Yesterday where I get my weekly dose of realistic melancholy. Right after is Wave! for my dose of realistic "oh god I'm such a mess wtf am I gonna do with my life". Depending on my mood and free time I watch Fruits Basket and Tamayomi right after so I don't have that saccharine taste in my mouth when watching the much better shows earlier.

Will it be more entertaining if I watch it right away or wait until tomorrow under my regular routine? All I know about the original mangaka is that his earlier works are pretty violent and that he's also done guro so I don't know what the gently caress to expect after last week's finale.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's still not great, but I'm at least enjoying Tamayomi now that they're playing games and delving more into strategy. I'm a total neophyte when it comes to baseball though, with the limit of my knowledge being watching Jon Bois and Jimmy O'Brien videos. The girl I didn't like before because of being a creeper is a lot better now that she's focusing more on statistics and scouting instead of just feeling up other girls.

Also, the club advisor is the best character.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jesus Christ, what brought on that abomination?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That's better.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I tried watching the new GitS but literally fell asleep at some point during the road battle in the first episode. I don't know if it's the translation but the sustainable war stuff feels like a bore to follow. I might try it again with the dub and see if it sticks better because the original SAC dub was fantastic. I think all the actors are the same, yeah?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes. Stick with it, because the stuff in the US is only the first few episodes and it improves quite a bit as it goes on.

Alright, I'll give it another shot, thanks.

I like Tamayomi now since it's been getting better bit by bit with every episode. The part where Yomi catches Tamaki with her previous battery pitcher was the best.

Tama-chan, who the gently caress is this bitch?

https://i.imgur.com/sfn7JeN.mp4
Oh uh nobody Yomi-chan

https://i.imgur.com/AiB1Gzr.mp4
When you meet your partner's clingy ex.

e: I don't know wtf Imgur is scaling these images up. I'll fix it later.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 22, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Everything I know about Bokurano came from hearing Uninstall in Kumikyoku Nico Nico Douga and thinking it sounded really nice, and finding the full song lovely. Then I read the show synopsis and while it seems really good, I don't think I can handle watching or reading the whole thing because drat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes. Stick with it, because the stuff in the US is only the first few episodes and it improves quite a bit as it goes on.

Just wanna thank you again for the advice, I'm halfway through the season and it definitely feels like Stand Alone Complex again. I still think the old animation was nicer and made for better looking action scenes, but I've come around to the CGI; the forest in Kyoto looks gorgeous.

e: poo poo, I thought it was a 24 episode season and just took a break from watching it at 12 and went back to find out it was the season finale. Damnit, just when I was getting into it!

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 30, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tamayomi didn't live up to what I was expecting from the preview art, but it ended up being better than it seemed it was going to be from the rough first couple of episodes. I really got into it once they started playing some actual games, and the season finale could have gone either way which was exciting.

I think I actually enjoy watching baseball if it's condensed into just 30 minutes a week. I guess I should check out Princess Nine next.

Grouchio posted:

Put 'em fully in the summer thread. This spring was a lost season (and would be barren if not for Kaguya); let the summer give the displaced shelter.

That's funny, this has been the best season for me since I started watching stuff again. I found there were lots of shows that caught my interest, and this season has had a much better ratio of shows I found excellent to ones I found just okay. Different strokes for different folks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

gently caress man, where am I gonna go to see the new season threads now that I'm watching poo poo again? It's cool that this has been going on for over a decade and it's been handy for finding stuff I like. This season especially, I wouldn't have known to check out a bunch of what were really good shows.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Julias posted:

Probably right here ;)

:D

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Black Stones posted:

A movie just came out on Netflix called “A Whisker Away” and it’s super good. Really fun film that has some great character moments to it. I know Mari Okada is pretty hit and miss with people but I think this is one of the best things she’s written and I highly recommend checking it out.

This was really good and so far I'm 2/2 for liking Mari Okada shows. She seems to be really good at writing realistically awkward teenagers in a way that's very relatable.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was saving Kaguya-sama, Kakushigoto, Wave, Listen to me!, and Sing Yesterday for Me to watch all at once during the weekends and I thought they were all really good. Yesterday stumbled at the end but everything else about the show was right up my alley. I'm probably going to check out the manga along with Wave because it sounds like they're even better and it's not like there's going to be any additional seasons.

I made it through Tamayomi only because the baseball details seemed to be well done and fun to watch, otherwise it was pretty bland.

I'm following Fruits Basket only because I want to see the plot through to the end but the whole beach house trip was booooooooring. Things seem to be picking back up so we'll see if it gets any better.

Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 got much, much better when they arrived in Japan but it ended right when it was getting good and feeling like old-school SAC. Urban Japan and the lush forests in the countryside looks a lot better in CGI than the deserts and slums of the first bit. Batou being a big ol' softy in the episode where he arrived early was great, and I love that he now has a stalker fangirl because c'mon, Batou's awesome and it's nice to see him getting some appreciation. Split seasons with cliffhanger endings really doesn't suit GitS in my opinion, and I was choked when I thought I was taking a break at the halfway point and found out I was done the season when I tried to find the next episode button.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

dogsicle posted:

here's Mari Okada's O Maidens In Your Savage Season

Just finished rewatching this and it holds up well, I thought. I saw she did some live-action stuff and watched My Teacher today, which in the beginning was fun and the whole thing felt like a prototype for O Maidens in your Savage Season, despite it being based on an older manga. It even has a couple of gags that were used in O Maidens, like the corrections on the lovely love letter.

Then the second half of the movie happened and it was exactly what O Maidens thankfully avoided ended up being, so I can't say I'm surprised at all about her being a showrunner for Kodomo no Jikan. With how O Maidens ended I'd like to think that she realizes that adults reciprocating those kind of feelings is hosed up and shouldn't be portrayed in anything approaching a positive light.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Should have reworded that to perhaps now she realizes that kind of relationship and power dynamic is wrong, because the conclusion in that movie certainly seemed like it was meant to be viewed as a happy ending. The manga is from the 90s, but the movie came out just a couple years ago.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not a big deal dogg. Happy bday.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The main dude in Kanojo, Okarishimasu is pretty pathetic but all the grandmas are awesome so I hope there's more of them and that they're series regulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/XT5L9dS.gifv

Uzaki-chan is so dumb but in a way that makes me laugh. Dat flesh fang.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 11, 2020