Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cody-cromarty-memorial-fund

He was hit by a car last year, and they think his death was due to undetected injuries from that accident. He got a large settlement from the driver, and I found out last night that he put the money into trust funds for my kids. He was so good, and I'm a better person for having known him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I apologize for the delay.

Chapter 13: Good evening, Mr. Boldman

We've picked up the two women and are heading out.

quote:

‘James. James, you’re going the wrong way. You left the Bentley in the car park to the left. Remember?’ ‘Don’t tell the whole world, Sukie. We’re not using the Bentley.’ On his way back, after parking the Saab, he had made a quick detour, and used the old trick of sticking the Bentley’s keys up the exhaust pipe. It was not as safe as he would have liked, but it would have to do. Now they were lugging their suitcases to the Saab.

The keys in the tailpipe is a neat trick and I'll remember that.

quote:

‘Not...’ There was an intake of breath from Nannie. ‘We have alternative transport,’ Bond said crisply, his voice sharp with authority. His plan to outflank SPECTRE depended entirely on caution and timing. He had even considered ditching Sukie and Nannie, leaving them in the hotel. But, unless he could isolate them, it was a safer course to take them along. They had already shown their determination to remain with him anyway. Dumping them now was asking for trouble. ‘I hope your American visas are up to date,’ Bond said, once they had packed everything into the car and he had started the engine.

This turns out to be a good idea.

quote:

‘I haven’t a thing to wear,’ Sukie said loudly. ‘Jeans and a shirt will do where we’re going.’ Bond smiled as he turned on to the Innsbruck road. The Flughafen sign was illuminated for a second in his headlights. ‘Another thing,’ he added. ‘Before we leave this car you’ll have to stow your hardware in one of my cases. We’re heading for Zurich, then flying direct to the States. I have a shielded compartment in my big case and our weapons will have to go in there. From Zurich we’ll be on commercial airlines.

Good tradecraft, having a secret stash can save your rear end.

quote:

‘We’re coming, whatever,’ Nannie said firmly. ‘Both of us. Okay, Sukie?’ ‘You bet your sweet...’ ‘As arranged, then.’ Bond could see the Flughafen signs coming up fast now. ‘There’s a private jet on its way for us. I shall have to spend some time with the people who will be arriving on it. You cannot be in on that, I’m afraid. Then we take off for Zurich.’ In the airport car park, Bond opened up the hatchback and unzipped his folding Samsonite case. Q Branch had taken it apart and fitted a sturdy extra zipped compartment in the centre. This was impervious to all airport surveillance and Bond had found it invaluable when travelling with airlines not allowing him to carry a personal weapon. ‘Anything you should not be carrying, ladies, please.’ He held out a hand while both Sukie and Nannie hoisted their skirts and unclipped from their suspender belts the identical holsters carrying automatic pistols. When the case had been returned to the luggage compartment, he ushered them back into the car. ‘Remember, you’re unarmed. But as far as I can tell, there’s no danger. The people who are on my trail should have been diverted. I shall be with the airport manager.’

Disarming the party is necessary, but I'd hate to have everything in one person's luggage.

quote:

They went out on to the apron, and Bond saw that the airport had been lit for the arrival. A few minutes later he spotted the flashing red and green lights creeping down the invisible path of the approach to the main runway. In a few seconds the little HS 125 Exec jet, bearing no markings but a British identification number, came hissing in over the threshold. It touched down neatly and pulled up with a sharp deceleration. The pilot had obviously used Salzburg before and knew its limits. The aircraft was brought to a standstill by a ‘batsman’ using a pair of illuminated batons. The forward door opened and the gangway was unfolded. Bond did not recognise the two women, but was glad to see that at least two of the men coming down the steps were people he had worked with before. The more senior was a bronzed, athletic young man called Crispin Thrush, with Service experience almost as varied as Bond’s.

That's a pretty interesting resume if it compares to Commander Bond's.

An HS 125 is a pretty standard bizjet. It's a two-engined plane originally designed and produced by de Haviland in the 60s. It's been through several companies and many revisions, including for some as a maritime recon aircraft that served in several country's navies.

The group gathers in a conference room with snacks, but Bond only needs to talk to Crispin. I'm not going to do the Henry V reference, even if it is an amazing speech.

quote:

‘Help yourselves,’ Bond said as he looked around at the team. ‘I think I’ll go and wash my hands.’ He jerked his head at Crispin, who nodded and followed him from the room out into the airport car park. They spoke in lowered voices. ‘They briefed you?’ Bond asked. ‘Only the basics. Said you’d put the flesh on it.’ ‘Right. You and one of the other chaps take a rented Saab–the one with the two girls in it, over there–and go straight up to the Klinik Mozart. You’ve got the route?’ Thrush nodded. ‘Yes, they gave us that. And I was told something almost unbelievable...’ ‘Steve?’ He nodded again. ‘Well, it’s true. You’ll find him there, sleeping off some dope the clinic’s Director, Doktor Kirchtum, gave him. You’ll find Kirchtum a godsend. Quinn and a couple of heavies have been holding him there.’ He went on to explain that there was some cleaning up to be done, and Quinn was to be made ready to take a telephone call from the K.G.B. man watching the road for the Bentley. ‘When he makes his radio report, listen to him and watch him, Crispin. He’s a rogue agent, and I’ve no need to tell you how dangerous that can be. He knows all the tricks and I’ve only got his co-operation because of threats against his wife...’

‘They pulled Tabby in, I understand. She’s stashed in one of the Rome safe houses. Gather the poor girl’s a bit confused.’ ‘Probably doesn’t believe it. He says she had no idea that he’d defected. Anyway, if the whole team will fit into the Saab, you’d better drop your two girls, and the other lad off at the Goldener Hirsch. If we keep it short in the conference room, you can get the Bentley team on their way. The car will be spotted, so make sure you’ve got time to get settled into the clinic, with Quinn awake, before the Bentley leaves. Their watcher will take it for granted that I’m in it, with my companions, heading for Paris. That should throw them for a while.’ He told Crispin where the Bentley could be found, with the keys in the exhaust, and the route the team should take to Paris. Once the messages had been passed on, Crispin and his man were to get Steve Quinn to Vienna by the fastest means possible.

Bond briefs Crispin and we get confirmation that Quinn's wife was picked up. They probably told her it was for her own safety. Well, it involves her safety, but not in a good way.

quote:

"Tickets. With the Resident’s compliments.’ Crispin reached into his jacket and pulled out a heavy, long envelope. Bond slid it unopened into his breast pocket, as they began walking slowly back to the conference room. They stayed there for less than fifteen minutes, drinking coffee and improvising a business meeting concerning an export deal in chocolate. Eventually Bond rose. ‘Right, ladies and gentlemen. See you outside, then.’ He had already arranged that Sukie and Nannie would not even see the team that had flown in. He used some charm to get a man to remove their luggage from the Saab, and now he briskly ushered them into the airport building, where the manager was waiting for them. He joined them a few minutes later, having passed on the Saab keys to Crispin, and wished the new team good luck. ‘M’s going to boil you in oil if this goes wrong,’ Crispin said with a grin. Bond cocked an eyebrow, sensing the small comma of hair had fallen over his right temple. ‘If there’s anything left of me to boil.’ As he said it, Bond had a strange premonition of an unsuspected impending disaster.

The voice of experience right there at the end.

quote:

‘So, for the umpteenth time, where are we going, James?’ Sukie asked as she raised her glass. ‘And what’s more to the point, why?’ said Nannie, sipping her mineral water. ‘The where is Florida. Miami first, and then on south. The why’s more difficult.’ ‘Try us,’ Nannie said with a smile, peering over the top of her granny glasses. ‘Oh, we’ve had a rotten apple in the barrel. Someone I trusted. He set me up, so now I’ve set him up, arranged a small diversion so that his people think we’re all on the way to Paris. In fact, as you can see, we’re travelling in some style to Zurich. From there we go by courtesy of Pan American Airlines to Miami. First class, of course, but I suggest we separate once we reach Zurich. So here are your tickets, ladies.’

The tagalongs get a partial briefing on the next leg of their quest.

quote:

He opened the envelope given him by Crispin and handed over the long blue and white folders containing the Zurich-Miami flight reservations made out in their real names, the Principessa Sukie Tempesta and Miss Nannette Norrich. He held back the Providence and Boston Airlines tickets that would get them from Miami to Key West. For some reason he sensed it was better not to let them know the final destination until the last minute. He also glanced at his own ticket to check it was in the name of Mr J. Boldman, the alias used on his B passport, in which he was described as a company director. Everything appeared to be in order.

And they're off!

quote:

Get a Skycap to take you there,’ Bond advised them. ‘The place is vast and you can easily get lost. And beware of legal panhandlers–Hare Krishna, nuns, whatever, they’re...’ ‘Thick on the ground,’ finished Nannie. ‘We know, James, we’ve been to Miami before.’ ‘Sorry. Right, we’re set then. If either of you have second thoughts...’ ‘We’ve been over that as well. We’re going to see it through,’ said Nannie firmly. ‘To the bitter end, James.’ Sukie leaned forward and covered his hand with her own. Bond nodded.

A reminder that these two aren't NPCs.

quote:

On the 747, Sukie and Nannie were seated right up in the front, while Bond occupied a window seat some way behind on the starboard side. Neither gave him a second look. He admired the way Sukie had so quickly picked up field technique; Nannie he almost took for granted, for she had already shown how good she could be. The food was reasonable, the flight boring, the movie violent and cut to ribbons. It was hot and crowded when they landed at Miami International, soon after eight in the evening. Sukie and Nannie were already at the Delta desk when he reached it.

We'd have gotten a better description of First Class on a 747 from Fleming, complete with food and beverage details. This image probably postdates this book by a wide margin, but the 747 had room.

quote:

He handed them the tickets for the final flight. ‘Key West?’ queried Nannie. ‘The Last Resort, they call it,’ said Sukie, laughing. ‘Great. I’ve been there.’ ‘Well, I want to arrive...’ The ping-pong of an announcement signal interrupted him.

He opened his mouth to continue, expecting it to be a routine call for some departure, but the voice mentioned the name Boldman. ‘Would Mr James Boldman, passenger recently arrived from Zurich, report to the information desk opposite the British Airways counter. Mr Boldman, please.’ Bond shrugged. ‘I was going to say that I wanted to arrive incognito. Well, that’s my incognito. There must be some development from my people. Wait for me.’

He pressed his way through queues of people and baggage waiting to be checked in. At the information desk a blonde with teeth in gloss white and lips in blood red batted her eyelids at him. ‘Can I help y’awl?’ ‘Message for James Boldman,’ he said, and saw her glance behind his left shoulder and nod. The voice was soft in his ear, and unmistakable.

‘Good evening, Mr Boldman. Nice to see you.’ Steve Quinn pressed close as Bond turned. He could feel the pistol muzzle hard against his ribs, and knew his face to be etched with surprise. ‘How nice for us to be meeting again, Mr–what do you call yourself now–Boldman?’ Doktor Kirchtum stood on his right, his big face moulded into what appeared to be a big smile of welcome. ‘What...’ Bond began. ‘Just start walking quietly out of the exit doors over there.’ Quinn’s smile didn’t change. ‘Forget your travelling companions and the P.B.A. flight. We’re going to Key West by a different route.’

My compliments to the not-so-good doctor. Absolute chaos has to be breaking out among MI6 operatives in Europe.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 27, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Thank you so very much for picking up the baton.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Thank you so very much for picking up the baton.

:same:

Can't remember a drat thing about the plot, but I'm pretty sure I was forgetting what there was of it between the previous updates too...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think we have at least reconfirmed that business jets are extremely cool :cheersbird:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This whole book has been better than I expected by a wide margin

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

poisonpill posted:

This whole book has been better than I expected by a wide margin

It is, there's some Good Stuff coming up shortly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chapter 14: Frost-free City

quote:

The aircraft was very quiet in flight. Only a low rumbling whine from the jets was audible. Bond, who had managed no more than a quick look before boarding, thought it was probably an Aerospatiale Corvette, with its distinctive long nose. The interior was decorated in blue and gold, with six swivel armchairs and a long central table. Outside there was darkness, with only the occasional pin of light flashing in the distance. Bond guessed they were now high over the Everglades, or turning to make the run in to Key West across the sea. The initial shock of finding himself flanked by Quinn and Kirchtum had passed very quickly. One learned to react instantly in his job. In this situation he had no option but to go along with Quinn’s instructions: it was his only chance of survival. There had been a moment’s hesitation when he first felt the gun pressing into his ribs. Then he obeyed, walking calmly between the two big men who kept close beside him, as though making a discreet arrest. Now he was really on his own.

The Aérospatiale Corvette was a pretty normal twin-engined biz jet.

I couldn't find one of that fancy interior.

The Everglades of course, are the southern part of Florida and a massive area of wetlands, aka swamp.

You'll also see Key West peeking out in the lower left corner of the map. If you can picture a solid red line arcing over the map, it's going to end up in Key West.

quote:

The other two had their tickets to Key West, but he had told them to wait for him. They also had all the luggage, and his case contained the weapons–Nannie’s two little automatics, the ASP, and the baton. A long black limousine with tinted windows stood parked directly outside the exit. Kirchtum moved forward a pace to open the rear door, bent his heavy body and entered first. ‘In!’ Quinn prodded Bond with the gun, almost pushing him into the leather-scented interior and quickly following him so that he was sandwiched between the two men. The motor was started before the door slammed shut, and the vehicle pulled smoothly away from the kerb. Quinn had the gun out now–a small Makarov, Russian made and based on the German Walther PP series design. Bond recognised it immediately, even in the dim glow thrown into the car from the airport lights. By the same light he could see the driver’s head, like a large, elongated coconut, topped with a peaked cap. Nobody spoke, and no orders were given. The limousine purred on to a slip-road which, Bond guessed, led to the airport perimeter tracks.

This is all very well set up, as we'll see, Bond was always intended to go down this funnel to his doom.

quote:

‘Not a word, James,’ Quinn whispered, ‘on your life, and on May’s and Moneypenny’s as well.’ They were approaching large gates set into a high chain-link fence. The car stopped at a security shed and Bond heard the electronic whine as the driver’s window was lowered. A guard approached. The driver offered him a clutch of identity cards and the guard muttered something. The nearside rear window slid down and the guard peered in, looking at the cards in his hand and then glancing in at Quinn, Bond and Kirchtum. ‘Okay,’ he said at last in a gravel drawl. ‘Through the gate and wait for the guide truck.’

Their paperwork and fake ID game is on point.

quote:

They made for an aircraft that stood apart from the rest near a cluster of buildings on the far side of the field, pulling up so close that Bond thought for a moment they might touch the wing. For large men, Quinn and Kirchtum moved fast. Like a well-drilled team, Kirchtum left the car almost before it had come to a standstill, while Quinn edged Bond towards the door, so that he was constantly covered from both sides. Once in the open, Kirchtum kept a steel grip on his arm until Quinn was out. Using an arm-lock, they forced him up the steps and into the aeroplane.

Quinn’s pistol was now in full view as Kirchtum hauled in the steps and closed the door with a solid thud. ‘That seat.’ Quinn indicated with the pistol. Kirchtum placed handcuffs on each of Bond’s wrists, which he then attached to small steel D-rings in the padded arms of the seat. ‘You’ve done this before,’ Bond said, smiling. There was no edge in showing fear to people like this. ‘Just a precaution. It would be foolish to be forced to use this once we’re airborne.’ Quinn stood clear, the pistol levelled, as Kirchtum looped shackles around Bond’s ankles, and secured them to similar steel D-rings on the lower part of the seat.

The engines rumbled into life and seconds later they were moving. There was a short wait as they taxied in line, then the little jet swung on to the runway, burst into full life and roared away, climbing fast. ‘I apologise for the deception, James.’ Quinn was now relaxed and leaning back in his seat with a drink. ‘You see, we thought you might just visit the Mozart, so we stayed prepared–even with the torture paraphernalia on show, and the Herr Doktor looking like an unwilling victim. I admit to one serious error: I should have ordered my outside team to move in after you entered. However, these things happen. The Doktor was excellent in his role of frightened captive, I thought.’ ‘Oscar nominee.’ Bond’s expression did not alter. ‘I hope nothing nasty is going to happen to my two lady friends.’

Bond is pinned by the two lives at risk.

quote:

‘I don’t think you need bother yourself about them,’ said Quinn, smiling happily. ‘We sent them a message that you would not be leaving tonight. They think you’re joining them at the Airport Hilton. I expect they’re waiting there for you now. If they do get suspicious, I’m afraid they won’t be able to do much about it. You have a date around lunchtime tomorrow with what the good old French revolutionaries called Madame La Guillotine. I shall not be there to witness it. As I told you, we have orders only to hand you over to SPECTRE. We take the money and see to the release of May and Moneypenny–you can trust me over that. They will be returned unopened. Even though it would have been useful to interrogate Moneypenny.’

quote:

‘And where is all this going to take place?’ Bond asked, his voice betraying no concern about his appointment with the guillotine. ‘Oh, quite near Key West. A few miles off shore. Outside the reef. Unfortunately our timing isn’t brilliant–we’ll have to hole up with you until dawn. The channel through the reef is not the easiest to navigate, and we don’t want to end up on a sandbar. But we’ll manage. I promised my superiors I would hand you over and I like to keep my promises.’ ‘Especially to the kind of masters you serve,’ Bond replied. ‘Failure isn’t exactly appreciated in the Russian service. At best you’d be demoted, or end up running exercises for trainees; at worst it would be one of those nice hospitals where they inject you with Aminazin–such a pleasant drug. Turns you into a living vegetable. I reckon that’s exactly how you’ll end up.’ He turned to Kirchtum. ‘You too, Herr Doktor. How did they put the arm on you?’ The doctor shrugged. ‘The Klinik Mozart is my whole life, Mr Bond. My entire life. Some years ago we had–how do I put it? A financial embarrassment...’ ‘You were broke,’ Bond said placidly.

Oh Madame Guillotine...

Anyway. The good Doktor was compromised in the classic way, money. More security clearances have been denied for financial struggles than moral or ethical problems (both defined by the agency in question, not the applicant).

quote:

‘But you were also clever. You gave Mr Quinn some harmless injection...’ ‘Saline.’ ‘And then you must have followed me.’ ‘We were on your track very quickly,’ Quinn said flatly as he glanced towards the window. Outside there was still darkness. ‘But you changed my plans. My people in Paris were supposed to deal with you. It took some very fast and fancy choreography to arrange this, James. But we managed.’ ‘You did indeed.’

Bond swivelled his seat, leaning forward to see out of the window. He thought there were lights in the distance. ‘Ah.’ Quinn sounded pleased. ‘There we are. Lights–Stock Island and Key West. About ten minutes to go, I’d say.’ ‘And what if I make a fuss when we land?’ ‘You won’t make a fuss.’ ‘You’re very confident.’ ‘I have an insurance. Just as you had with me, because of Tabitha. I really do believe you will do as you’re told to secure the release of May and Moneypenny. It’s the one chink in your armour, James. Always has been.

Yes, you’re a cold fish; ruthless. But you’re also an old-fashioned English gentleman at heart. You’d give your life to save a defenceless woman and this time we’re talking of two women–your own ageing housekeeper and your Chief’s Personal Assistant, who has been hopelessly devoted to you for years. People you care for most in the world. Of course you’ll give your life for them. Unhappily, it’s in your nature. Unhappily, did I say? I really meant happily–for us, happily.’ Bond swallowed. Deep down inside he knew that Steve Quinn had played the trump card. He was right. 007 would go to his own death to save the lives of people like May and Moneypenny.

That's got Bond properly dialed in. That quality of character is a big part of why the franchise endures, without it, he wouldn't hold up as a character. He has very obvious character flaws, he's a killer by profession, but he's hardwired to be a good guy when the chips are down.

quote:

I have an insurance. Just as you had with me, because of Tabitha. I really do believe you will do as you’re told to secure the release of May and Moneypenny. It’s the one chink in your armour, James. Always has been. Yes, you’re a cold fish; ruthless. But you’re also an old-fashioned English gentleman at heart. You’d give your life to save a defenceless woman and this time we’re talking of two women–your own ageing housekeeper and your Chief’s Personal Assistant, who has been hopelessly devoted to you for years. People you care for most in the world. Of course you’ll give your life for them. Unhappily, it’s in your nature. Unhappily, did I say? I really meant happily–for us, happily.’ Bond swallowed. Deep down inside he knew that Steve Quinn had played the trump card. He was right. 007 would go to his own death to save the lives of people like May and Moneypenny.

Uh... buddy, MI6 has Tabitha in custody by now. You know this. You've done this.

quote:

‘There’s another reason why you won’t make a fuss.’ It was hard to detect Quinn’s smile under that bushy beard, and it did not show in his eyes. ‘Show him, Herr Doktor.’ Kirchtum lifted a small case which lay in the magazine rack between the seats. From it he drew out what looked like a child’s space gun made of clear plastic. ‘This is an injection pistol,’ Kirchtum explained. ‘Before we land I shall fill it. Look, you can see the action.’

He drew back a small plunger from the rear, lifted the barrel in front of Bond’s face and touched the tiny trigger. The instrument was no more than seven centimetres long, with about five for the butt. As he touched the trigger, a hypodermic needle appeared from the muzzle. ‘An injection is given in 2.5 seconds.’ The doctor nodded gravely. ‘Very quick. Also the needle is very long. Goes easily through cloth.’ ‘You show the least sign of making a fuss, and you get the needle, right?’ ‘Instant death.’ ‘Oh, no. Instant facsimile heart attack. You’ll come back to us within half an hour, as good as new. SPECTRE want your head. In the final resort, we would kill you with a power tool. But we’d rather deliver your whole body alive and intact. We owe Rahani a few favours, and the poor man hasn’t long to live. Your head is his last request.’

I'll go 80/20 on this being a bluff or an actual drug they could have used.

I like the reference to the KGB owing SPECTRE a favor or two. This sort of power trade between agencies keeps the setting vibrant and alive.

quote:

‘Interesting place, Key West,’ mused Quinn. ‘Hemingway once called it the poor man’s St Tropez. Tennessee Williams lived here too. President Truman established a little White House near what used to be the Naval Base and John F. Kennedy brought the British P.M., Harold Macmillan, to visit it. Cuban boat people landed here, but long before that it was a pirates’ and wreckers’ paradise. I’m told it’s still a smugglers’ heaven, and the U.S. Coastguard operates a tight schedule out of here.’ They swept in over the threshold and touched down with hardly a bump. ‘There’s history in this airport as well,’ Quinn continued. ‘First regular U.S. mail flight started from here; and Key West is both the beginning and end of Highway Route One.’

I hate Hemmingway, so screw a background brief on the location. I will link a photo of the Key West Bridges, because those were built way before you'd expect them to be possible.

That's known as Seven Mile Bridge. Guess why. The older span was constructed from 1909 to 1912 and is restricted to pedestrians and cyclists. The modern road bridge was built between 1978 and 1982.

Also note that while Florida is beautiful in photography, in reality it is a buggy, humid hellhole.

[quote]They rolled to a halt, then began to taxi towards a shack-like hut with a veranda. Bond saw a low wall with faded lettering: ‘Welcome to Key West the Only Frost-Free City in the United States’.

‘And they have the most spectacular sunsets,’ Quinn added. ‘Really incredible. Pity you won’t be around to see one.’

Very pretty, I just wouldn't want to be there.

quote:

The car went silent, the driver sullen. Bond watched the signs–South Roosevelt Boulevard, a restaurant alive with people eating, nkey west Martha’s. There were wooden, clapboard houses, white with fretted gingerbread decorations along the porches and verandas; lights flashing–Motel; No vacancy. Lush tropical foliage lined the road, with the ocean on their right. They appeared to be following a long bend taking them away from the Atlantic.

Then they turned suddenly at a sign to Key West Searstown. Bond saw they were in a large shopping area. The car pulled up beside a supermarket alive with late shoppers and an optometrist’s. Between the two lay a narrow alley. ‘It’s up there. Door on the right. Up above the eye place, where they sell reading glasses. Guess y’awl want me to pick you up.’ ‘Five o’clock,’ Quinn said quietly. ‘In time to get to Garrison Bight at dawn.’ ‘Y’awl goin’ on a fishin’ trip, then?’

The driver turned round and Bond saw his face for the first time. He was not a young man, as Bond had thought, despite the long blond hair. Half his face was missing, sunken in and patched with skin grafts. He must have sensed Bond’s shock for he looked at him straight with his one good eye, and gave an ugly grimace. ‘Don’t you worry about me none. That’s why I work for these gentlemen here. I got this brand new face in Nam, so I thought I could put it to use. Frightens the hell outa some folks.’ ‘Five o’clock,’ Quinn repeated, opening the door.

Searstown today, busier, but the same basic principle as when the book happens:

Martha's is a restaurant that didn't mess around,

They've changed their marketing some, but they still exist. Bond has some very top-tier restaurants he favors, he may have missed out on a low-brow, high quality experience.

Lastly on this section, I will say that the unexpected detail of their driver having a personality and characterization was unexpected, but... that's a guy who'd be on the short list for people you call if you're doing wet work in Southern Florida. Good job by Gardner.

quote:

The routine did not vary. They had Bond out, along the alley, through a door and up one flight of stairs in a few seconds. They had brought him to a bare room. In it were only two chairs and two beds, flimsy curtains and a noisy air-conditioning unit.

Again they used the handcuffs and shackles, and Kirchtum sat close to Bond, the hypodermic in his hand, while Quinn went out for food. They ate melon and some bread and ham, washing it down with mineral water.Then Quinn and Kirchtum took turns in guarding Bond, who, resigned, fell asleep with exhaustion.

It was still dark when Quinn shook him awake. He stood over Bond in the bare, functional little bathroom as he tried to fight off the grogginess of travel. After about ten minutes they led him downstairs to the car. There were few signs of life so early in the morning. The sky looked hard and grey, but Quinn said it was going to be a beautiful day.
[/quote/

A pretyy dismal night by any standard.

[quote]They came to North Roosevelt Boulevard, then passed a marina on their left with yachts and big powered fishing boats moored. Water appeared on the right as well. Quinn pointed. ‘That’s where we’ll be heading. The Gulf of Mexico. The island’s out on the far side of the reef.’ At the nkey west Harbour Lights restaurant sign Bond was hustled out of the car, along the side of the sleeping restaurant and down on to the marina quayside. A tall, muscular man waited beside a large, powered fishing boat with a high laddered and skeletal superstructure above the cabin. The engines were idling.

The Harbor Lights is still in business, and highly rated.

quote:

Everyone appeared to be concentrating on the navigation, and Bond began to think seriously about his predicament. They had spoken of an island outside the reef, and he wondered how long it would take them to reach it. He then concentrated on the handcuffs realising that there was little he could do to get out of them. Unexpectedly, Quinn came down into the cabin. ‘I’m going to gag you and cover you up.’ Then he spoke to Kirchtum and Bond just made out what he was saying. ‘There’s another fishing boat to starboard ... appears to be in some kind of trouble ... The captain says we should offer to help ... they could report us. I don’t want to raise suspicion.’

You really wouldn't want to. This state-level actors games, if you gently caress up you're toast.

quote:

He pushed a handkerchief into Bond’s mouth and tied another around it, so that, for a moment he thought he would suffocate. Then, after checking the shackles, Quinn threw a blanket over him. In the darkness, Bond listened. They were slowing, rolling a little, but definitely slowing.

Above, he heard the captain shouting, ‘You in trouble?’ Then, a few seconds later, ‘Right, I’ll come aboard, but I have an RV. May have to pick you up on the way back.’

There was a sharp bump, as though they had made contact with the other boat, and then all hell broke loose. Bond lost count after the first dozen shots. There were the cracks of hand guns followed by the stutter of a machine pistol; then a cry, which sounded like Kirchtum, and thumps on the deck above. Then silence, until he heard the sound of bare feet descending into the cabin.

The blanket was hauled back roughly and Bond tried to turn his head, eyes widening as he saw the figure above him. Nannie Norrich had her small automatic in one hand.

Looks like the ladies caught up to Bond after all.

quote:

‘Well, well, Master James, we do have to get you out of some scrapes, don’t we?’ She turned her head. ‘Sukie, it’s okay. He’s down here, trussed up and oven-ready by the look of it.’

Sukie appeared, also armed. She grinned appealingly.

‘Bondage, they call it, I believe.’

She began to laugh as Bond let off a stream of obscenities which were completely incomprehensible from behind the gag. Nannie wrenched at the handcuffs and shackles. Sukie went aloft again, returning with keys.

Classic

quote:

‘I hope those idiots weren’t friends of yours,’ said Nannie. ‘I’m afraid we had to deal with them.’

‘What do you mean, “deal”?’ Bond spluttered as the gag came away. She looked so innocent that his blood ran cold.

‘I’m afraid they’re dead, James. All three of them. Stone dead. But you must admit, we were clever to find you.’

I think it really fits that for all the incompetence we saw in the Ian Fleming novels that this happens. It's much less his fault than some things we've seen, the Doktor being bent isn't something he could have foreseen, and he did a very good job collaring Quinn, he couldn't have known it was a setup.

But he still got pwned and rescued by the Bond Girls for this book.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 17, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chapter 15: The Price For A Life

quote:

Bond felt an odd sense of shock that two relatively young women
had brought about the carnage he saw on the deck, yet could remain
buoyant, even elated, as though killing three men was like swatting
flies in a kitchen. He also realised that he was suffering from a
certain amount of resentment – he had taken the initiative, he had
been duped by Quinn and Kirchtum, he had fallen into their quickly
devised trap. Yet he had not been able to effect his own escape.
These mere women had rescued him, and he felt resentful – a
peculiar reaction when he should have been grateful.

On the plus side, Bond is being surprisingly introspective about this. On the down side, two "mere" women just won a gunfight down 2 to 3 and outgunned to boot.

quote:

Another, almost identical powered fishing boat bearing the
name Prospero lay alongside, rising, falling and gently bumping
against their vessel. They were well outside the reef. In the far
distance little low mounds of islands rose from the sea. The sky
was turning from pearl to deep blue as the sun cleared the
horizon. Quinn had been right. It was going to be a beautiful
day.
‘Well?’
Nannie stood near him, looking around while Sukie appeared to
be busying herself on the other boat.
‘Well what?’ Bond asked flatly.
‘Well, weren’t we clever to find you?’
‘Very.’ He sounded sharp, almost angry. ‘Was all this
necessary?’
‘You mean blowing away your captors?’ The expression
sounded strange coming from Nannie Norrich. She flushed with
anger now. ‘Yes, very necessary. Can’t you even say thank you,
James? We tried to deal with it peacefully, but they opened up
with that damned Uzi. They gave us no option.’
She pointed towards their boat and the nasty jagged row of
holes in the hull, abaft the high skeleton superstructure above
the cabin.
Bond nodded, muttering his thanks.
‘You were, indeed, very clever to find me. I’d like to hear more
about that.

Bond takes a level on not being a completely misogynistic rear end in a top hat.

quote:

‘And so you shall,’ Nannie said waspishly, ‘but first we really
have to do something about this mess.’
‘What weapons are you carrying?’
‘The two pistols from your case – your stuff’s back at the hotel
in Key West. I had to force the locks, I’m afraid. I couldn’t work
out the combinations, and we were fairly desperate by then.’
‘Any extra fuel around?’
She pointed past Kirchtum’s slumped corpse in the stern well.
‘A couple of cans there. We’ve got three aboard our boat.’
‘It’s got to look like a catastrophe,’ Bond said with a frown.
‘What’s more, they mustn’t find the bodies. An explosion would
be best – preferably when we’re well out of the area. It’s easy
enough to do, but we must have some kind of fuse, and that’s
what we haven’t got.’
‘But we do have a signal pistol. We could use the flares.’
Bond nodded. ‘Good. What’s the range – about a hundred
metres? You go back with Sukie and get the pistol and flares
ready. I’ll do what’s necessary here.’
Nannie turned away, sprang lightly on to the guard rail, and
jumped aboard their boat, calling cheerfully to Sukie.
Bond then set about his grim task, still preoccupied with the
recent turn of events. How did they manage to find him? How
could they have been in the right place at the right time? Until
he had answers that satisfied him, he could not trust either of
the young women.
He searched the boat carefully, assembling everything that
might be useful on the deck – rope, wire and the strong lines
used for bringing in sharks and swordfish. All the weapons he
threw overboard, except for Quinn’s automatic, a prosaic
Browning 9 mm, and some spare clips.
Then came the grisly job of moving the bodies into the stern
well. Kirchtum, already there, only needed turning over, which
Bond managed to do with his feet; the captain’s body stuck in
the wheelhouse door, and he had to tug hard to get it free.
Quinn was the most difficult to move, for the bloody decapitated
remains had to be dragged along the narrow gap separating
cabin from guard rail.
He placed the corpses in a row directly over the fuel tanks and
lashed them loosely together with fishing line. He then went
forward again and gathered as much inflammable material as he
could find – sheets and blankets off the four cabin bunks,
cushions, pillows and even pieces of rag. These he piled up well
forward, weighting them with life jackets and heavier equipment.
One piece of coiled rope he left near the bodies.
He transferred himself to the other boat, where he found Sukie
standing in the wheelhouse with Nannie close behind her on the
steps leading down to the cabin. Nannie was holding the bulbous
flare projector by the muzzle.
‘There it is. One flare pistol.’

The Uzi had better have been out of ammo.

quote:

Bond returned to the other boat to make the final preparations.
He dragged the rope near the bodies to the pile of material,
secured it underneath and gently played it out back to the stern
wall, laying it alongside the inlets to the fuel tanks. He went
forward again with one of the emergency fuel cans and saturated
first the material, then, shuffling backwards towards the corpses,
he ran plenty of the liquid over the rope.
He opened the second can to dowse the human remains in
fuel, unscrewed the main fuel cap and lowered the saturated
rope into the tank.
‘Stand by!’ he yelled.
He ran from the stern well, mounted the guard rail and was
aboard the other boat just as Nannie let go of the rope
amidships. Sukie slowly eased open the throttle and they pulled
away, gently turning stern-on to the other boat.
Bond positioned himself aft of the superstructure, slid a flare
into the pistol, checked the wind and watched the gap slowly
widen between the two craft. At around eighty metres he raised
the pistol high and fired an illuminating flare in a low, flat
trajectory. The flare hissed right across the bows of the other
boat. Bond had already reloaded and taken up another position.
This time, the fizzing white flare performed a perfect arc, leaving
a thick stream of white smoke behind it, to land in the bows.
There was a second’s pause before the material ignited with a
small whumph. The flames were carried straight along the rope
fuse towards the fuel tanks, and the bodies.

Practical and a little ghoulish, Gardner really is dialing in on the whole James Bond thing.

quote:

The corpses caught alight first, the stern well sending up a
crimson flame and then a dense cloud of black smoke. They
were a good two kilometres away when the fuel tanks went up –
a great roaring explosion with a dark red centre, ripping the boat
apart in a ferocious fireball. For a few moments there was the
smoke and a rising cascade of débris, then nothing. The water
appeared to boil around what little remained of the powerful
fishing launch, then it settled, steamed for a few seconds, and
flattened. The shock waves hit the rear of their boat a second or
two after the explosion. There was a slight burn on the wind,
which they felt on their cheeks.
At five kilometres there was nothing to be seen, but Bond
remained leaning against the superstructure, gazing in the
direction of the small, violent inferno.
‘Coffee?’ Nannie asked.
‘Depends how long we’re staying at sea.’
‘We hired this boat for a day’s fishing,’ she said. ‘I don’t think
we should raise suspicion.’
‘No, we’ll even have to try and fish. Is Sukie okay at the
wheel?’
Sukie Tempesta turned and nodded, smiling.
‘She’s sailed boats all her life.’ Nannie gestured towards the
steps leading below. ‘There’s coffee on...’
‘And I want to hear how you managed to find me,’ Bond said,
staring at her steadily.
‘I told you. I was minding you, James.’

I'm being sarcastic a bit, and critical where it deserves it, but this chapter is really working for me as a James Bond book.

quote:

Quick call – my little
NUB has a small branch here, and they put a trace on the limo.
I said I’d call them back if I needed assistance. After that I
called the flight planning office.’
‘Resourceful lady.’
‘James, in this game you have to be. Apart from the scheduled
flights to Key West there was one private exec jet that had filed
a flight plan. I took down the details...’
‘Which were?’
‘Company called Société pour la Promotion de l’Écologie et de
la Civilisation...’
SPEC, Bond thought. SPEC. SPECTRE.
‘We had about six minutes to catch the P.B.A. flight to Key
West, so I gambled that we’d make it just before the private
flight.’
‘You also gambled on my being on board the SPEC jet.’
She nodded. ‘Yes, and you were. If you hadn’t been, I would
have had egg on my face. As it happened, we were off the
aircraft a good five minutes before you came along. I even had
time to hire a car, send Sukie to book into the hotel and follow
you to that shopping centre in Searstown.’
‘And then what?’
‘I hung around.’ She paused, not looking at him. ‘To be honest,
I didn’t really know what to do. Then, like a small miracle, the
big bearded guy came out and went straight to the telephone
booth. I was only a few paces away and I’ve got good eyesight.
Don’t be fooled by the spectacles. I watched him punch out a
number and talk for a while. When he went to the supermarket I
slipped into the booth and dialled the number. He had called the
Harbour Lights restaurant.’
There was a street guide in the little rented Volkswagen, and
the Harbour Lights was easy enough to find. ‘As soon as I got
inside I realised it was a fishing and sailing place, full of
bronzed, muscular men renting boats, and themselves to sail
them. I just asked around. One man – the one who went up in
smoke just now – mentioned that he had been hired for an early
start. He’d had a bit to drink and even told me what time he was
leaving, and that he had three passengers.’
‘So you hired another powered fishing launch.’
‘That’s right. I told the captain I didn’t need help. Sukie can
navigate the trickiest waters blindfold and with her hands tied. He
took me down to this boat, made a pass and got the push. But
he did show me the charts, and told me about the currents and
channels, which are not easy. He talked about the reef, the
islands and the drop-off into the Gulf of Mexico.’
‘So you went back to Sukie at the hotel ...’
‘And pored over the charts half the night. We got down to
Garrison Bight early and were outside the reef when your boat
came out. We watched you on the radar. Then we positioned
ourselves near enough to your course, stopped the engines and
started firing distress flares. You know the rest.’
‘You tried the soft approach, but they opened up with the Uzi.’
‘To their cost.’ She cocked her head, and gave a sigh. ‘Lord,
I’m tired.’
‘You’re not alone. And what about Sukie?’
‘She seems happy enough. She always is with boats.’ Nannie
put down her empty coffee mug and started slowly to undo the
buttons of her shirt. ‘I really think I’d like to lie down, James.
Would you like to lie down with me?’
‘What if we hit a squall? We’ll be thrown all over the place.’
Bond leaned forward to kiss her gently on the mouth.
‘I’d rather meet a swell.’ Her arms came up around his neck,
drawing him towards her.
Later, she said that she’d rarely been thanked so well for
saving somebody’s life.
‘You should do it again sometime.’
Bond kissed her, running one hand over her naked body.
‘Why not now?’ asked Nannie with an implike grin. ‘It seems a
fair price for a life.’

Hell, have MI6 run a background check and offer the woman a job, she's at least as competent as anyone we've seen on their payroll.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 17, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chapter 16: Going Down Tonight

quote:

es out. Four large red snapper had come their way, but nothing big – no sharks or swordfish.

‘This one here,’ said Sukie, indicating an island just outside the reef, ‘is owned by the man who built the hotel where we’re staying. There’s another to the north, and this one,’ her finger circled a large patch of land, ‘just on the shelf, before you reach the drop-off. The continental shelf suddenly drops down from 270 metres to over 600. Great fishing water around the drop-off. There have been treasure seekers by the dozen in the area too.’ She prodded the island on the map. ‘Anyway, it looked very much as though that was where you were heading.’

Bond peered closer to see the name. ‘Shark Island,’ he said. ‘How cosy.’

‘Someone seems to think so. I asked around the hotel last night. A couple of years ago a man who called himself Rainey, Tarquin Rainey, bought the place. The boy at the hotel is from an old Key West family and knows all the gossip. He says this fellow Rainey is a mystery man. He arrives by private jet and gets ferried out to Shark Island by helicopter, or by a launch which belongs to the place. He’s also a bit of a go-getter. People who build on the islands usually take a lot of time; it’s always difficult getting the materials taken out to them. Rainey had his place up in the space of one summer and the island landscaped in the second summer. He’s got tropical trees, gardens, the lot. They’re very impressed, the people in Key West, and it takes a great deal to impress them, particularly as they claim to be a republic. The Conch Republic.’

She pronounced it ‘Konk’.

‘Nobody’s seen him?’ Bond asked, knowing that the alias Tarquin Rainey could not be a coincidence. The man had to be Tamil Rahani, which meant Shark Island was SPECTRE property.

‘I believe a few people have had glimpses of him – at a distance. Nobody’s encouraged to get near him, though. Apparently some people have approached Shark Island by boat and been warned away, politely, but very firmly, by large men in fast motor boats.’

‘Mmmmm.’ Bond thought for a few moments, then asked Sukie if she could navigate to within a couple of kilometres at night.

‘If the charts are accurate, yes. It’ll be slow going, but it’s possible. When did you want to go?’

‘I thought perhaps tonight. If that’s where I was being taken, it’s only common courtesy for me to call on Mr Rainey at the earliest possible opportunity.’

Target acquired.

quote:

‘I think we should head back to Garrison Bight now,’ he went on. ‘See if you can keep the boat for a couple of days longer. I’ll get myself a few bits and pieces I’m going to need. We could have a look around Key West – see and be seen. We’ll set out for Shark Island at about two in the morning. I won’t put you in danger, that I promise. You simply wait off shore and if I don’t return by a certain time, you get the hell out and come back tomorrow night.’

‘Okay by me,’ said Sukie as she got to her feet.

Nannie just nodded. She had been quiet since they had come back on deck. Occasionally she would shoot warm glances in Bond’s direction.

‘Right. Let’s get the lines hauled in,’ he said decisively. ‘We sail at two. In the meantime, there’s a great deal to be done.’

Plans made. Here's the harbour,

There's no actual Shark Island, but there is a Shark Key just offshore,

quote:

The local police were at Garrison Bight when they returned, checking on the boat hired by Steve Quinn. There had been a report from another power boat which had seen a plume of smoke, and from a naval helicopter that had spotted wreckage. They had seen it themselves an hour or so after Quinn’s boat had exploded and had even waved to it, knowing they were well away from Quinn’s vessel.

Nannie went ashore and talked to the police, while Sukie stayed in sight on deck and Bond remained in the cabin. After half an hour Nannie returned, saying she had charmed the pants off the cops and had hired the boat for a week.

‘I hope we’re not going to need it that long,’ Bond said with a grimace.

‘Better safe than sorry, as we nannies say.’ She poked her tongue out before adding, ‘Master James.’

‘I’ve had enough of that little joke, thank you.’ He sounded genuinely irritated. ‘Now, where are we staying?’
‘There’s only one place to stay in Key West,’ Sukie put in. ‘The Pier House Hotel. You get a wonderful view of the famous sunset from there.’

‘I’ve a lot to do before sunset,’ Bond said sharply. ‘The sooner we get to this – what’s it called? Pier House – the better.’

As they set off in the hired Volkswagen, Bond suddenly felt very naked without a weapon of any kind. He sat next to Nannie, with Sukie, who had been here before, squeezed into the back giving an occasional commentary.

The Pier House,

Yelp reviews have it at a whopping 3.5 stars today.

I can certainly understand Bond wanting a weapon. Both from a professional perspective and because he's been a captive for a couple of days, only recently receiving an unexpected reprieve. That'd leave anyone wanting some way to assert their agency on an uncaring world.

quote:

To Bond, the place was an odd mixture of tourist resort garishness and pockets of great beauty, with areas of luxury which spelled money. It was hot, palm trees shimmered and moved in the light breeze, and they passed numerous clapboard gingerbread houses, which were bright and well painted, their yards and gardens filled with the colour of subtropical flowers. Yet well-kept houses could be adjacent to rubbish tips. The sidewalks were in fine order in one street, in the next cracked, broken or almost non-existent.

At an intersection, they had to wait for an extraordinary-looking train – a kind of model railroad engine built on to a diesel-powered jeep, which pulled a series of cars full of people under striped awnings.

‘The Conch Train,’ Sukie informed them. ‘That’s the way tourists get to see Key West.’

Bond could hear the driver, all done out in blue overalls and peaked cap, going through a litany of the sights and their history as the train wound its way around the island.

They finally turned into a long street of wood and concrete buildings, which appeared to house nothing but jewellery, tourist junk and art shops, interspersed with prosperous-looking restaurants.

‘Duval,’ announced Sukie. ‘It goes right down to the ocean – to our hotel in fact. It’s great at night. There, that’s the famous Fast Buck Freddie’s Department Store. And there’s Antonia’s, a great Italian restaurant. Sloppy Joe’s Bar was Ernest Hemingway’s favourite haunt when he lived here.’

Even if Bond had not read To Have and Have Not he could not now have escaped knowing that Hemingway had lived in Key West. There were souvenir T-shirts and drawings of him everywhere, and Sloppy Joe’s Bar proclaimed it loudly, not just from an inn sign but also on a tall painted legend on the wall.

As they reached the bottom of Duval, Bond saw what he was looking for and noted that it was a very short walk from the hotel.

The Conch Train still runs and is 100% purestrain tourist attraction.

Fast Buck Freddie's Department Store is one of those bits of classic Americana that crops up from time to time. Those window displays are amazing.

The hotel, department store, and bar are all related by a semi-notorious real estate developer. Also a classic bit of Americana. The restaurant sits at 4 stars, and I reflect on my San Francisco-dwelling privilege where a 4-star restaurant is doomed. Any restaurant with two veal dishes on their menu probably should be.

quote:

He came out of the boutique and made his way back to the place he had spotted from the car. It had a walk-in front with a dummy clad in Scuba gear out on the sidewalk. The sign read ‘Reef Plunderers’ Diving Emporium’. A bearded salesman tried to sell him a three and a half hour snorkelling trip on a dive boat predictably called Reef Plunderer II, but Bond said he was not interested.

‘Captain Jack knows all the best places to dive along the reef,’ the salesman protested limply.

‘I want a wet suit, snorkelling mask, knife, flippers and undersea torch. And I shall need a shoulder bag for the lot,’ Bond told him in that effectively quiet but firm tone.

The salesman looked at Bond, took in the physique under the lightweight suit and the hard look in the icy blue eyes.

‘Yes, siree. Sure. Right,’ he said, leading the way to the rear of the shop. ‘Gonna cost a ransom, but you sure know what y’awl’re after.’

‘That’s right.’ Bond did not allow his voice to rise above the almost whispering softness.

‘Right,’ the salesman repeated. He was dressed to look like an old salt, with a striped T-shirt and jeans. A gold ring hung piratically rather than fashionably from one ear. He gave Bond another sidelong look and began to collect the equipment from the back of the store. It was more than a quarter of an hour before Bond was completely satisfied. He added a belt with a waterproof zipper bag to his purchases, and then paid with his Platinum Amex Card, made out in the name of James Boldman.

‘Guess I’ll have to just run a check on this, sir, Mr Boldman.’

‘You don’t have to, and you know it.’ Bond gazed at the man with ice-cold eyes. ‘But if you’re about to make telephone calls, I’m going to stand next to you. Right?’

‘Right. Right,’ the pirate salesman repeated, leading the way to a tiny office at the back of the store. ‘Yes, sir-bub. Yes, siree.’ He picked up the telephone and dialled the Amex number. The card was cleared in seconds. It took another ten minutes for the purchases to be stowed away in the shoulder bag. As he left, Bond put his mouth very close to the pierced ear with the ring in it.

‘Tell you what,’ he began. ‘I’m a stranger in town, but now you know my name.’

‘Sure.’ The pirate gave him a trapped look.

‘If anyone else gets to know I’ve been here except you, Amex and myself, I shall come back, cut that ring from your ear and then do the same job on your nose, followed by a more vital organ.’ He dropped his hand, fist clenched, so that it lay level with the pirate’s crotch. ‘You understand me? I mean it.’

‘I already forgot your name, Mr ... er ... Mr ...’

‘Keep it like that,’ said Bond as he strode off.

He made his way back to the hotel at the more leisurely pace of the people thronging the street. Back in his suite, he lugged the CC500 from its briefcase, hooked it to the telephone and put in a quick call to London. He did not wait for a response, but gave them his exact location, saying he would be in touch as soon as the job was completed.

‘It’s going down tonight,’ he finished. ‘If I’m not in touch within forty-eight hours, look for Shark Island, off Key West. Repeat, it’s going down tonight.’

It was a very apt phrase, he thought, as he changed into his newly acquired clothes. The ASP and baton were in place, so he no longer felt naked, but, surveying himself in the mirror, he thought he would blend in nicely with the tourist scene.

‘Going down tonight,’ he said softly to himself. Then he left for the Havana Docks bar.

The place that Bond spotted was, naturally, a dive shop which clues the reader in to his plan of attack. At first glance his playing the heavy with the unfortunate retail worker comes off as a bit too strong. But when you think about it, this is the last stop before you get to SPECTRE HQ. They're a competent organization, so you'd expect them to have made deals with locals who are in a position to spot suspicious interlopers to alert them in exchange for some cash. "If someone sus comes in to buy dive gear, call this number and we'll give you some money" is really cheap insurance for an outfit like SPECTRE.

Reef Plunderers’ Diving Emporium is the first location mentioned so far that has gone out of business. I suppose they don't get enough secret agents buying full outfits to make a long-term go of it. Bond will likely cut that trade off in the next few chapters.

And we end on the chapter title.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
It's been a while and I hope everyone in this thread is still doing as well as possible.

Assouline just released a photography book dedicated to some of the beautiful locations showcased in Bond films (and what it took to get the scenes shot), and it made me think of all of you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cassius Belli posted:

It's been a while and I hope everyone in this thread is still doing as well as possible.

Assouline just released a photography book dedicated to some of the beautiful locations showcased in Bond films (and what it took to get the scenes shot), and it made me think of all of you.

This would have been my Christmas gift for Chitoryu this year. Thanks for sharing :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This would have been my Christmas gift for Chitoryu this year. Thanks for sharing :unsmith:

I was thinking it was almost made for him.
The only better thing would have been a cookbook full of Bond's meals and the restaurants behind them, but all the attempts I've seen have been middling to pretty bad. Assouline knows how to deliver.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2023