Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Trigger anime. Netflix. Furries. 6 episodes released early. Official start April 9th. Discuss.

RIP Winnie the Pooh.

The ED is good poo poo.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*hooks fingers in suspenders* furry anime lookin’ to be a bumper crop this year

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, I can't imagine how excited Trigger's animators were to make a show about a tanuki going up against a kitsune with (almost) all of their mythological superpowers. Michiru versus Nazuna is going to be a spectacle for the ages.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
OP is really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzEm7q6UroY

Also question how long is this series. One cour? two?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think it's just one? Not really sure though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think Michiru is a somewhat interesting iteration of the Trigger heroine archetype we've previously seen with Akko and Ryoko. She's still got the same basic personality - she's scrappy, headstrong, and somewhat naive - but she comes across as having a few extra functional brain cells. She's more likely to head into trouble with a plan, and more likely to be able to think on her feet to get out of unexpected trouble. Guess it comes from getting turned into a mythological trickster archetype. Whatever the case, it does mean she's pretty fun to watch - she's very proactive without being a complete raging dumbass, and feels like she earns her victories rather than having them handed to her.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

She definitely feels like the standard Trigger heroine in the first couple of episodes, but she's starting to think things out by 3 IMO.

My favourite episode is definitely the baseball one. Love the Imaishi-whacko-bullshit episodes of any Trigger show.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Show's ok and looks good, but neither of the leads are very interesting. I'm just watching this cuz the animation's p good.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speculation:

So it's super obvious that Shirou Ogami will turn out to be the legendary wolf God, slumming it, huh?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 24, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Speculation:

So it's super obvious that Shirou Ogami will turn out to be the legendary wolf God, slumming it, huh?

Doesn't his name pretty much mean White Wolf? Close enough to silver for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibblebibble posted:

Doesn't his name pretty much mean White Wolf? Close enough to silver for me.

His name pretty much means exactly White-Wolf Male-God.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 24, 2020

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
For some reason I thought this series was going to be much more basketball-centric.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Haven’t watched any of it yet, but I loving love the vaporwave colour pallet they seem to be going with for this show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maxwell Adams posted:

For some reason I thought this series was going to be much more basketball-centric.

:same:

I blame the original promo images and the Main character's design

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine she will at some point do basketball.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Michiru's stated life goal in that one flashback was to become a basketball star, and all the baseball bloodsport shenanigans started because she wanted to play it again. Her life's just been a bit... hectic for the sport, to say the least.

I'm overall incredibly impressed with these first episodes. Animation and character design is stellar across the board, and the developments in episode 6 swung the plot into territory I honestly wasn't expecting. Michiru's incredibly adorable gay feelings for her childhood friend getting exploited and shoved back in her face in a frankly brutal takedown of the shounen hero archetype was pretty heart-wrenching and sets up for some great development for her in the future. The tone of the rest of the series could go any way at this point, and I'm 100% here for it. Even staying the course and reaffirming the motivations of the main characters in the end would be fine by me, really, given how great the setup has been.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Stupid question, any idea why I wouldn't be able to locate any episodes on Netflix? I'm in the states. I found an article that definitely confirms that episodes have been released early as of March 21st.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

JackDarko posted:

Stupid question, any idea why I wouldn't be able to locate any episodes on Netflix? I'm in the states. I found an article that definitely confirms that episodes have been released early as of March 21st.
Japanese Netflix only.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like all netflix anime, it will only be released in the us after it has finished airing and an additional delay. bypassing that poo poo is one of the last remaining uses of fansubs.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

why has the stylish red / blue action color palette vanished since ep 1

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Seizon posted:

why has the stylish red / blue action color palette vanished since ep 1

Just watch the ED to get your fix.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I watched it against my better judgement, but every (non-short) Trigger anime has had a really disappointing ending for me. I liked it so far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Really digging this show so far. Shame I'm gonna have to wait like 2 months for new episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For some of the less apparent animal forms. It appears that Barbara Rose is a Sphinx Cat, and Giuliano Flip is a Beluga Whale.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You can see that in the OP, yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

You can see that in the OP, yeah.

Just was not sure what the animals actually were.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hmm, according to one of the ANN character art previews Barbara is a naked mole rat and Flip is a generic dolphin, no clue if its a mistranslation or not though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Hmm, according to one of the ANN character art previews Barbara is a naked mole rat and Flip is a generic dolphin, no clue if its a mistranslation or not though.

He's definitely a beluga. White skin, huge, bulbous forehead, low-set eyes. His daughter is a dolphin. I can buy Barbara being a mole rat, even if she does look kind of feline.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I guess Flip's wife must be a dolphin then according to beastman genetics rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibblebibble posted:

I guess Flip's wife must be a dolphin then according to beastman genetics rules.

One of the Flip Family's grandparents was a dolphin that got eaten according to that huge portrait.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibblebibble posted:

From checking it's for sure Sphynx not Mole Rat.

She also does not look anything like a mole rat, no prominent teeth, and she has ears.

Going back to Flip. I am kind of shocked just how brutal and powerful he is. The fact he can murder a guy in front of Shirou, and Shirou won't do anything in response speaks volumes about him.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If anything happens to the baseball raccoon boy I will kill everyone and then myself

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

like all netflix anime, it will only be released in the us after it has finished airing and an additional delay. bypassing that poo poo is one of the last remaining uses of fansubs.

I did my time in Netfix Time Jail, not looking at spoilers and the like, with LWA and after the absolute disaster that release was I promised to never do that again.

If they can put out Bullshit Grimdark Archie on in a week to week basis they can very well get to spec with Funimation / HiDive who, by comparison, have a budget of three pence and some chewed gum on a string, thank you very much.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 7, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Caught up on all 6 episodes last night. I’m really digging this show so far. I want to say I can easily predict where the show seems to be going, but really, I kind of can’t. There’s just so many threads in play all at once and I’m not sure which one’s gonna win out and become the “main” plot. Though I have to say I was a little surprised by them having the ending theme be an in-universe plot point as an excuse to bombard you with it like 5 times during the course of episode 4.

All the side characters are fun as poo poo though, especially Mary the weasel; her whole life seems to just be one long series of interlinking side hustles, and I respect that in a way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nine-gear crow posted:

especially Mary the weasel;

MINK!

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Really really enjoying this so far. But not surprised since I love most Trigger stuff.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Just finished watching the six episodes released so far, and now I'm left wanting more. Any idea when this will hit stateside, either officially or through fansubs?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alfredo Jones posted:

Just finished watching the six episodes released so far, and now I'm left wanting more. Any idea when this will hit stateside, either officially or through fansubs?

Episode 7 airs May 20th so probably not before then.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

EAB posted:

Really really enjoying this so far. But not surprised since I love most Trigger stuff.

How does it compare to Beastars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monolith. posted:

How does it compare to Beastars?

Very, very different show. It's a goofy action-comedy with light social commentary. Think furry Promare, or Zootopia by way of Little Witch Academia.