Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
There's a documentary on Great Sasuke. It originally released in 2016 but the film maker decided to make it free. Hard coded English subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxEzQ5VtR8

It's also a useful primer on Japanese pro wrestling history if you're looking to go beyond NJPW and other big leagues. Luz (Mrs. Great Sasuke) is adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Heckie Holmes posted:

I don't know if it's ok to post something like this, if it turns out it shouldn't be on here I'll remove the link, but I've got an Internet Archive account that I've been updating every once in a while with certain wrestling shows.The twist to it is that the audio all comes from newLegacyinc's Discord streams. So if you enjoy what those guys do with video games, you might enjoy hearing them as they watch some PPVs.

I've done 30 of these shows now, and I intend to do more. They've actually been pretty fun work for me.

You can see see all of them here:

https://archive.org/details/NLWatchesWrestling

This is a goldmine, thank you!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DDT have made one of the best shows of last year available for free

ALL OUTxSendai Girls

Akito vs. Sakura Hirota
Yuki Iino vs. Chihiro Hashimoto
Shunma Katsumata vs. DASH Chisako
Konosuke Takeshita vs. Meiko Satomura
Konosuke Takeshita, Shunma Katsumata & Yuki Iino vs. Meiko Satomura, DASH Chisako & Chihiro Hashimoto

https://twitter.com/ddtuniverse/status/1245546998821818368?s=19

Every match was fantastic and unique. Akito vs. Hirota was a comedy match, Iino/Big Hash was a beef match, Shunma and DASH had a hardcore match and Takeshita and Meiko went for a puro epic. The main was an ALL OUT six man tag and they're one of the best units in the world at that.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
There is a tonne of TNA stuff on YouTube that I find very satisfying to watch. If you want to scratch that American wrestling itch, it might just do the trick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

animeluva1 posted:

There's a documentary on Great Sasuke. It originally released in 2016 but the film maker decided to make it free. Hard coded English subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxEzQ5VtR8

It's also a useful primer on Japanese pro wrestling history if you're looking to go beyond NJPW and other big leagues. Luz (Mrs. Great Sasuke) is adorable :3:

yooooooo this is awesome

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching old Mid South tapes, thanks MrBling.

So much racism. Its like Bill Watts couldn't go 20 minutes without doing a racism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

coconono posted:

So much racism. Its like Bill Watts couldn't go 20 minutes without doing a racism.

NWA should hire him

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

Hey guys, just here to say my Internet Archive page of newLegacyinc Watches Wrestling I posted has been updated.

You can now watch BOTH nights of WrestleMania 36 with the guys from newLegacyinc providing the commentary at these two links:

Night 1:
https://archive.org/details/NLWatchesWrestling/Completed+NewLegacyInc+Projects/2020.04.04.WWE.WrestleMania.36.Night.1.mkv

Night 2:
https://archive.org/details/NLWatchesWrestling/Completed+NewLegacyInc+Projects/2020.04.05.WWE.WrestleMania.36.Night.2.mkv

The other 30 shows I've done are all together here:

(I also forgot to mention, if you feel like downloading any of the shows I uploaded, I'd recommend the .mkv files, because they have chapter breaks.)

Heckie Holmes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 9, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

NWA should hire him

speaking of that, they posted a full, uncut vintage episode of Houston Wrestling online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA_n-CpjUek

come for Gino Hernandez, stay for the amazing commercials

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

speaking of that, they posted a full, uncut vintage episode of Houston Wrestling online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA_n-CpjUek

come for Gino Hernandez, stay for the amazing commercials

oh this is extreeeeeemely my poo poo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/kaori_yoneyama/status/1248553892935155712?s=19

Tokyo Cyber Squad vs. Kakeru Sekiguchi, Mei Suruga & LEON from YMZ Korakuen Hall last year.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Looks like free WWE Network is done for now.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
According to the WON, Dragon Gate's streaming service has every single Kobe World Hall up from 1999-2019 for free. They're going to be through the 13th.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1249472642534572032

Link is the VoD, even if the tweet is talking about streaming it live.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I caught this in my youtube recommendations not long ago, Bryan and Vinnie absolutely raving about a drat near perfect Tatanka/Mountie match from Superstars in 1992. It includes the great line "This was a Toru Yano match in 1992 on Superstars", which tells you almost everything.

They are not exaggerating anything. The match itself is just fantastic.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 14, 2020

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

AAA doing a live no fans show at 6 Pm PT/9 PM ET. I'll re stream it at the rudo dojo and translate interesting bits of commentary and promos

http://psp-tv.com/r/RudoDojo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1255572520725405697

(it's six hours)

quote:

Raw Footage, not hand Held

(JWP)
Hiroumi Yagi, Cutie Suzuki, Mayumi Ozaki & Devil Masami vs. Fusayo Nochi, Candy Okutsu, Hikari Fukuoka & Dynamite Kansai

(LLPW - Mixed Style Match)
Harley Saito vs. Shinobu Kandori

(AJW)
Blizzard Yuki & Manami Toyoda vs. Kyoko Inoue & Aja Kong

(Go Gundan - Alien Death Match)
Uchu Majin Silver X vs. Ryuma Go

(IWA Japan)
The Headhunters & Cactus Jack vs. Shoji Nakamaki, Leatherface & Terry Funk

(PANCRASE)
Christopher DeWeaver vs. Minoru Suzuki

(PWF-GUMI)
Carl Greco & Don Arakawa vs. Yuki Ishikawa & Yoshiaki Fujiwara

(Michinoku Pro)
TAKA Michinoku, Gran Naniwa & Super Delfin vs. Shiryu, Sato & The Great Sasuke

(RINGS)
Chris Dolman vs. Akira Maeda

(UWFI)
Gene Lydick, Kazuo Yamazaki & Gary Albright vs. Billy Scott, Masahito Kakihara & Nobuhiko Takada

(FMW - No Rope Exploding Barbed Wire Death Match)
Pogo Daio vs. The Great Nita

(AJPW)
Johnny Ace, Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen, Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa

(NJPW)
Masahiro Chono vs. Shinya Hashimoto

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'd like to remind everyone that you can watch Rikidozan vs The Destroyer from December 1963 on Youtube, and you absolutely should if you've never seen any puro from that time period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xXw7yjeVM

Destroyer is just unreal. So agile and strong, and his heel work is timeless. I think you could pluck him right out of 1963 and put him in New Japan today and he'd do just fine.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, there's still a virus going on, so I've kept on uploading shows.

Primarily Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. I've even made playlists by year.

MACW 1981

MACW 1982

MACW 1983

MACW 1984

1985 is going up as we speak.

Also, as it turns out, when you start a youtube channel and fill it full of old 80s wrestling your target audience is as you'd expect.

also, I'm really curious why WWE is only blocking content in these specific countries and also why its only ever like 1 or 2 minutes per show.

It's like that on all the videos.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry but why did you post this screenshot of the NXT demos :confused:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oh hey, this is the show Mick Foley talks about in his book where he nearly got the whole thing shut down by lighting a baseball bat on fire.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

On YouTube while looking for a Emi-Meiji match from EVE, found a Kana-SDR chikara main event. It’s really spectacular and I’m sorry I cannot provide a link.

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

I just wanted to mention I added two more shows to my "newLegacyinc Watches Wrestling" Internet Archive page.

Those shows are the 2016 Survivor Series and the 2017 Royal Rumble.

You can see those and the 32 other shows I've done here at this link.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
https://twitter.com/francescoakira/status/1269076221943443457?s=20

Not watched this show yet (sort of have fallen behind with the old All Japan) but looking at the card it looks like a fun show - Akira/Kodama is almost certainly a load of fun, the main event looks good and everything else could be good. Not a top tier All Japan show but perhaps something to check out if you want to see what modern All Japan is like.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IceAgeComing posted:

https://twitter.com/francescoakira/status/1269076221943443457?s=20

Not watched this show yet (sort of have fallen behind with the old All Japan) but looking at the card it looks like a fun show - Akira/Kodama is almost certainly a load of fun, the main event looks good and everything else could be good. Not a top tier All Japan show but perhaps something to check out if you want to see what modern All Japan is like.

Just came to post that. Not seen it yet myself but yeah, I mean, the show starts with Yoshitatsu (who you will recognise from WWE Superstars a decade ago) & Kento Miyahara (who you should recognise as Best of the Best) against Jun Akiyama and young boy Dan Tamura, an All Asia Tag Title match, it's definitely worth your time & cool of All Japan to put up. (Though if I was them I might've uploaded the 2 New Years War shows from January to give a closer look at AJPW at its peak in 2020, which has a higher chance of encouraging people to sub to AJPW.tv imo)

In fact, here's the lineup of this show

Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu vs. Dan Tamura & Jun Akiyama
Black Menso-re & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Hikaru Sato & Shuji Ishikawa
Hokuto Omori & Koji Iwamoto vs. Evolution (Suwama & Yusuke Okada)
Yusuke Kodama vs. Akira Francesco
Takao Omori vs. Jake Lee
All Asia Tag Team Title Match
Yankee Two Kenju (Isami Kodaka & Yuko Miyamoto) (c) vs. KAI & TAJIRI
Enfants Terribles (Kuma Arashi & Shotaro Ashino) vs. Purple Haze (Izanagi & Zeus)

Definitely worth 3 hours of your time.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'll emphasize that you should watch that All Japan show on general principle. I binged 2019 AJPW last year and it was an awesome promotion. Kento Miyahara would be talked about like someone almost as good as Okada if he were in New Japan.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

I'll emphasize that you should watch that All Japan show on general principle. I binged 2019 AJPW last year and it was an awesome promotion. Kento Miyahara would be talked about like someone almost as good as Okada if he were in New Japan.

How did AJPW fall so far to begin with?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

How did AJPW fall so far to begin with?

In 1999 Giant Baba died. His wife ran the business but quickly clashed with the talent, lead by Misawa, the biggest star and booker. Eventually things come to a head and Misawa leads an exodus of all the native wrestlers in AJPW bar two, Kawada and Fuchi in the middle of 2000. They form NOAH and take the AJPW TV slot on Nippon TV too.

It's really all descending from there, losing the stars, losing the next generation of guys in their dojo like KENTA, Morishima, Marufuji and losing the broadcast TV.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

In 1999 Giant Baba died. His wife ran the business but quickly clashed with the talent, lead by Misawa, the biggest star and booker. Eventually things come to a head and Misawa leads an exodus of all the native wrestlers in AJPW bar two, Kawada and Fuchi in the middle of 2000. They form NOAH and take the AJPW TV slot on Nippon TV too.

It's really all descending from there, losing the stars, losing the next generation of guys in their dojo like KENTA, Morishima, Marufuji and losing the broadcast TV.

Didn't they nab a bunch of dudes from NJPW like Mutoh after the NOAH exodus? I guess that didn't work out for them?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't they nab a bunch of dudes from NJPW like Mutoh after the NOAH exodus? I guess that didn't work out for them?

TL;DR version is that it's hard to be successful when you aren't able to replace your broadcast TV deal. NTV owned a stake in All Japan at the time & so even as they cancelled AJPW & gave the slot to NOAH they refused to let them negotiate another broadcast deal so all All Japan had was Samurai TV & Gaora, & to subscribe to both of them today is going to be about $35/month. I'd also say you have to be careful not to overstate how quickly AJPW fell. All Japan still ran the Budokan until 2004, & were still doing over 10,000 at Ryogoku Kokugikan in 2007. It was a gradual fall-off I guess as they just struggled to bring in new fans because of the TV situation.

It's lovely, cold & wet outside so lets go into this since I have nothing better to do. The first post-exodus tour has such a weird lineup. Kawada vs Fuchi in the main event of the first show at a time where Fuchi was basically a midcard multiman tag guy but is a decent little match. After that you've got 51 year old Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Okumura who are both freelancers, Michinoku Pro regular Jinsei Shinzaki (aka WWF's Hakushi) & Yuto Aijima who has one match on Cagematch with the Joshi promotion NEO in 1999 before he goes to All Japan. And then a weird crop of foreigners: Steve Williams, Taiyo Kea, George Hines (aka Jackie Fulton from Smokey Mountain), Wolf Hawkfield (Jungle Jim Steele from WCW), Giant Kimala (Botswana Beast from World Class) & Johnny Smith who were regulars in All Japan, and you have Mike Barton aka Bart Gunn & Too Cold Scorpio who were also regulars in '99 & '00 after being let go by WWF. So it's not exactly a packed roster, of those names really only Dr Death & Kawada are remotely draws.

First Budokan show they ran post-exodus they brought in Stan Hansen & much bigger, Genichiro Tenryu, which was a huge deal. He left All Japan in 1990 to work for SWS, a new start up funded by a really rich money mark & his name basically became dirt to Baba. But Mrs Baba brought him in for the Budokan show, his first match back in All Japan in a decade, & he'd go on to be a really big guy for them despite being up there in age. The next big name they bring in, for the September Budokan show, is Masahiro Chono, which is the start of some cooperation with New Japan, obviously an unthinkable thing 6 months prior. All Japan was very much an isolationist group, they didn't use many native outsiders & freelancers, but needs must, this tour had Sabu on it, 4 luchadores including Super Calo & Damien 666, & there's 6 guys from Toryumon adding some junior flair in the undercards. They also brought in The Cedman who is a southwestern US indie guy also known as Cedric of Hollywood and I have never seen him but man. Just reading 2000 All Japan cards is such a blast for how weird some of the names they bring in are.

October 2000 is all about a tournament to crown a new Triple Crown champion after Kobashi vacated it. You've got Kawada, Smith, Williams, Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW), Hansen, Shinzaki, Tenryu, Barton, with Tenryu beating Kawada in the final. Bart Gunn was in a tournament to crown the first Triple Crown champ of a new era. During Real World Tag League you've got Mike Rotunda, Kendall & Barry Windham, Dan Kroffat, & the shoot style wrestlers Masahito Kakihara & Mitsuya Nagai, & shoot style was always much more strongly associated with Inoki & New Japan.

2001 was when the cooperation with New Japan ramped up, the last ever AJPW Dome show happened & you've got Liger, Kensuke Sasaki, & Muto all on it with other outsiders like Terry Funk, Onita, Curt Hennig, & Hiroshi Hase comes back which is a big deal. He got "blamed" by Inoki for All Japan eventually poaching Muto & Kojima (he demanded Hase resign from the Diet which is some dumb carnie poo poo) & as the year goes on you've got Team2000 & G-EGGS coming in from NJPW & in June Muto beats Tenryu for the title; there's even a Muto vs Chono Triple Crown match in October. 2002 sees an end to the New Japan cooperation & Mutoh, Kojima & Kendo Kashin all jumping from New Japan to All Japan & things start settling down into the Mutoh era until 2013, where you then have another exodus, with about half the roster leaving with Muto for Wrestle-1 while a bunch of guys like Jun Akiyama jump from NOAH back to All Japan because they were upset with how Kobashi had been treated.

I think part of the issue is we obviously see Japanese wrestling through a western perspective & western All Japan fans mostly jumped to NOAH who were the promotion in the first half of the 2000s for when I first started posting on wrestling forums. I only really heard about All Japan a fraction of the time I'd read people discussing NOAH & New Japan & maybe even Toryumon. Even now, there's not actually much of that era of All Japan footage out there. Take Cagematch ratings. It's dominated by 4 Pillars era: the top 18 rated AJPW matches on there are all featuring at least 1 of the 4 Pillars. (19th is Tenryu vs Jumbo from '89, 20 is Miyahara vs Nomura from September 2019) while the highest rated match from the post-exodus until Mutoh leaves is Satoshi Kojima vs Toshiaki Kawada from 2005 at 29th. And it's a loving rad match. Of the top 100 matches you've got 7 that I count from that era & 34 from the 2013-today era. Part of that is just it's so much easier to watch current stuff since AJPW.TV launched but I think it does highlight how overlooked that 2000s All Japan is. Including by me on the whole.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
AJPW also brought in a guy named Chris the Bambikiller, pretty sure he did multiple tours too

And he was in a stable with D' Lo Brown and Kenso called Dark Kingdom

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 7, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

AJPW also brought in a guy named Chris the Bambikiller, pretty sure he did multiple tours too

I would always have to sign him in EWR because that name is so great.

I think I first remember reading about All Japan in the era where the big stables were Voodoo Murders & RO&D (the group that had D'Lo Brown & Bull Buchanan & The Wall & Rico Constantino & Jamal & Rosey & was founded by TAKA Michinoku). RO&D stood for Roughly Obsess and Destroy. And of course there was BATT, Bad rear end Translate Trading.

I love Japanese stable names.

Just reminding myself of the Voodoo Murders lineup. Taru, Chuck Palumbo, "brother" YASSHI, Johnny Stamboli, Shuji Kondo, Giant Bernard, Suwama, Joe Doering, Satoshi Kojima, Shawn Daivari. Such a weird mix of guys.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 7, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I would always have to sign him in EWR because that name is so great.

I kept hearing about him. Still never seen the guy wrestle, zero idea if he's any good but apparently Misawa had a side thing called GPWA and brought him in, and he also got to wrestle Tanahashi last year. Maybe he's good?

He also worked Z1 for a while.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

IIRC the reason for the Wrestle-1 exodus was one of the most stupid things in the history of wrestling. Mutoh had sold AJPW to some computer company with the tacit expectation that he'd become president of the company at the end of it all. However, the head of said computer company, who had zero experience running a wrestling company before, said 'gently caress it, I wanna be president' and crowned himself president instead of Mutoh. It was so stupid and blatantly disrespectful that not only did Mutoh take his guys and walk out to form W-1, Mrs. Baba demanded the original Triple Crown belts back. Apart from special occasions, like the Giant Baba tribute show last year where Kento technically beat Tanahashi, the Triple Crown has been represented by a single belt ever since, and the originals are held by the Baba family to this day.

There's an interesting alternate timeline where Mutoh became president as expected, but hell if I know what it's like.

e: This article is a really good wee primer on AJPW up to 2017, and it helps fill in the gaps that forkboy missed above.

iGuure posted:

On June 7, 2011, Mutoh announced that he was stepping down as president, but would remain on the board and on the roster. The resignation stemmed from a backstage assault on May 29 of the same year, where Yoshikazu Taru assaulted Nobukazu Hirai backstage, leaving Hirai with a blod clot in his brain, which burst after his match later that night, giving Hirai a stroke and leaving him in a coma. He’s since awoken from the coma, but has not recovered enough to return to wrestling. Mutoh took personal blame for the whole ordeal, and resigned. Mutoh dropped to the midcard, and kept chugging along, with his handpicked successor Masayuki Uchida taking his top spot in the office.

However, in 2012, Mutoh decided to sell his 85% shares to Speed Partners, an IT company, for 200 million yen, or just a bit over 2 million US dollars. Mutoh remained as a wrestler, while Speed Partners president Nobuo Shiraishi took control. In January 2013, AJPW signed former NOAH stars Atsushi Aoki, Go Shiozaki, Jun Akiyama, Kotaru Suzuki, and Yoshinobu Kanemaru to freelance deals. They’d left NOAH due to the poor treatment of Kenta Kobashi, who was about to retire but was not being given a position in the office to run the sinking company alongside Akira Taue, who became president after Misawa’s death in 2009. Kobashi would also return to AJPW, becoming the new president of the PWF after Hiroshi Hase, Hansen’s successor, left to focus on his political career.

Shortly after the sale was made public in early 2013, Uchida and Shiraishi were negotiating to get Mutoh back into the presidency by the end of May. But there was treachery afoot, as Shiraishi betrayed Uchida and Mutoh by naming himself president of the promotuon, despite having no knowledge of how to run a wrestling promotion.

Mutoh quit in protest, as he and Uchida were in Canada and could not fight the hostile takeover at all, and a number of talents loyal to him followed him out of the promotion, with names like Masukatsu Funaki, former Triple Crown champion Ryota Hama, Seiya Sanada, and Koji Kanemoto walking out. Mutoh and Uchida, as well as Mutoh’s business partners that received part of the AJPW stock buyout, pooled their money together to start Wrestle-1 under Mutoh’s direction and with the departed All Japan talent to fill the roster.

A company founded amidst an exodus had just gone througha third exodus of it’’s own, and they looked in rough shape.

Shiraishi’s ego had doomed his company, as fan support for All Japan dropped immensely, with the company going into the red for the first time shortly after the Wrestle-1 departure. Mokoto Baba, disgusted by the idiocy of Shiraishi, demanded that the AJPW title belts be returned to her family. All Japan replaced the three belts of the Triple Crown with a single new belt, and the three belts were returned to Baba. The big NOAH departures were re-upped on exclusive deals, and the company was renamed to Zen Nihon Puroresu Systems. Shiraishi soon stepped down, with his corporate men Hirota Inoue became the president, although he would step down before he’d even been the president for a year.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 8, 2020

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
That makes me think, what made AJPW go back to its track recently? A new owner?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

All Japan still ran the Budokan until 2004, & were still doing over 10,000 at Ryogoku Kokugikan in 2007.

Just to be pedantic here: they claimed 10,000 in 2007: I've not seen that particular show but knowing what we know about the real capacity of Sumo Hall I'd be stunned if they actually did 10,000+ in 2007.

The original AJPW company actually went bust in 2014 and Jun Akiyama put together a group of investors to buy some contracts and the rights to the name and trademarks and carried on. From there it was just a case of finding someone to build around and going heavily with them: and that person was Kento. Things have sort of stalled though; attendance stagnated in 2019 and actually started falling late in the year; they didn't repeat trying to run Osaka Edion Arena No 1 after the Zeus title victory show underperformed their expectations (and the replacement two nights at Edion no 2 didn't do that hot either); they didn't try to run the Yokohama Bunka this year; they've not tried Sumo Hall since 2018; the feeling is that they went all-in on trying to run Korakuen a lot (because it was genuinely a hot building for them) and they've sort of ran it too much recently. Who knows after the shutdown ends though: the capacity limits will sort of make everything a slightly hotter ticket for a while and their fans will want wrestling.

Is an interesting debate which of NOAH or All Japan is bigger today: they are a similar size but with Cyberagent now owning NOAH and the apparent success of their empty arena shows on Abema NOAH may well jump All Japan again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Growing up in Japan, guys like Giant Baba and Stan Hansen were household names, so after missing puro for much of the 2000s, it was astounding to see AJPW brought down so low. Thanks for the reasonably thorough explanation, guys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Just to be pedantic here: they claimed 10,000 in 2007: I've not seen that particular show but knowing what we know about the real capacity of Sumo Hall I'd be stunned if they actually did 10,000+ in 2007.

Yeah, that's fair pedantry, I should've mentioned that until Bushiroad got involved with New Japan most attendance figures in Japan were inflated dramatically but you can only go off the numbers you have.

Also agree that the financial future of All Japan is far from rosey despite the in-ring product being very enjoyable: certainly as far as the empty arena shows go I've found All Japan's the easiest to watch. But I can't control the financials, all I can do is give them my money for AJPW.tv & try to encourage others to give them a fair go & just enjoy the wrestling.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic breakdowns of AJPW itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Here's a really novel thread with 10 matches from French wrestling in 1957

https://twitter.com/secretwrestlin1/status/1270267250981965827?s=20

So if you want to see something firmly outside of the modern wheelhouse this seems like something.