Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Shut up Meg posted:

And someone please explain to me why bicycle shops are specifically exempted from the retail outlets closure order?

Its a mode of transportation like cars. some ppl use bicycles alone to get around. hell some folks have to if they have DUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

He's aged five years in a week. Fantastic!

E: I also hear they're going to be closing offies. gently caress that for a game of marbles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

My Shoes posted:

jesus you can open your window but you cant go outside?! wtf? why?

come on, have a think. i know you can do this

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

My Shoes posted:

jesus you can open your window but you cant go outside?! wtf? why?

These are the actual guidelines. They're pretty brutal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-from-covid-19

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ok american here.... thats why i said they could never do this in the US... i mean MAYBE nyc... i doubt it tho.

thats crazy.... i mean i want everyone to stay safe but woah...

I actually do not plan on leaving my house for the next two weeks or so cuz i have everything i need here and i care but i want the option to leave if i have to.. esp to sit in the loving sun and just relax and soak up vitamin d for a sec.

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 25, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah there's no risk of virus drifting in on the breeze and it is less survivable in fresh air.

But let people out and apparently we all mob local parks, get too close, and start infecting each other.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah there's no risk of virus drifting in on the breeze and it is less survivable in fresh air.

But let people out and apparently we all mob local parks, get too close, and start infecting each other.

drat.. crazy times...

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Strategic Tea posted:

You know for a country of people that hate each other and also ourselves we're a pretty social bunch when someone tells us it's not allowed.

I'm feeling pretty good about the response to everything, delayed though it has been. But when the major point of comparison is whatever the gently caress the American Government is doing right now it's not exactly a hard won battle.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Shut up Meg posted:

And someone please explain to me why bicycle shops are specifically exempted from the retail outlets closure order?

Bikes keep people off of the public transportation and pretty much the only way delivery people can operate so bike repair/sales is kinda essential.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Strategic Tea posted:

Our beaches are currently closed because people swarmed them when we had a couple of warm days bat the end of last week, and now the number of people at private events like weddings, funerals and parties has been restricted because Australians were just ignoring the restrictions.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

England has done this poo poo before, just bring back the Plague Laws. Who can forget such classics as:

Kill and bury all stray cats and dogs.

Lock yourselves in with your infected loved ones for six or seven weeks until your family has all died or recovered.

If you own a house, you are required to make a bonfire in the street to consume corrupt air.

And many more.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BUG JUG posted:

If you own a house, you are required to make a bonfire in the street to consume corrupt air.

My fuckface of a council (E. Dumbartonshire) has closed off recycling and food bin pickups AND the recycling centre (but not pressed the uptake of the bins to compensate so we ratland now) so I've been contemplating the practicalities of an impromptu backyard firepit to, failing everything else, get short of the paper recycling.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 25, 2020

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Our council has cancelled the green bin collection and it was supposed to be the first one of the year today!

I’ve mowed the lawns and cut back the hedges and shrubs over the last week and the green fucker is packed solid. I NEEDED that bin collected. I am beyond livid.

On the plus side it’s a nice day so my working from home might be done from the garden today.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Strategic Tea posted:

But let people out and apparently we all mob local parks, get too close, and start infecting stabbing each other.

:britain:

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I have been self isolating for two hours and I'm already bored.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prince Charles has the Corona

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Queen however remains in good health. This is in no way suspicious, so stop going on about it OKAY???

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

monkeytennis posted:

Our council has cancelled the green bin collection and it was supposed to be the first one of the year today!

I’ve mowed the lawns and cut back the hedges and shrubs over the last week and the green fucker is packed solid. I NEEDED that bin collected. I am beyond livid.

On the plus side it’s a nice day so my working from home might be done from the garden today.

The council have given you a free compost bin / fire risk you ungrateful bastard

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

monkeytennis posted:

I read that in your avatar's voice and it worked perfectly.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

monkeytennis posted:

Just fly tip it like a normal person

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

kecske posted:

Just fly tip it like a normal person

Anarchy in the UK, bruv.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What a shame

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Good weather is taunting me. Basically been housebound for 2 weeks already. Wanna go to the pub.

Went and drank on a park bench with a friend, but now that's off the cards apparently.

Dreading taking up jogging.

TP, Tea Bag supply status: Stocked

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Poor Chazza

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Angelwolf posted:

Poor Chazza

It could have at least infected Andrew first.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

monkeytennis posted:

Make a compost pile.

Charles is basically as good as a royal is likely to get.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Weka posted:

Charles is basically as good as a royal is likely to get.

he already died?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Yesterday things were tightened at work, each shift starts later and finishes early. Social distancing is in place even though it's virtually impossible. A friend and colleague is now in isolation because his brother is ill.

I had some precious time with my youngest daughter today but felt guilty about putting her at risk. The government has issued a clause where children can travel between their parent's households, it still doesn't make me feel too comfortable but I just have to be sensible about it. I was very paranoid around her today, I coughed once and almost had a freak-out. I tried to arrange a video call with my eldest daughter but the timing wasn't right, unfortunately. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to video call them both. Tonight I'm going to have a couple of glasses of brandy and coke, it's been at least two years since I last touched brandy and tonight is one of those rare moments where I want a drink.

At least my recycling bin was emptied today.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thanks to the government completely half arsing everything i'm stuck having to work 9-5 every day in a building with hundreds of other people at a job that is absolutely not essential and i've got no choice until they willingly close the building because i don't get paid otherwise including if i catch coronavirus and have to stay off work because i'm ill

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Yesterday things were tightened at work, each starts later and finishes early. Social distancing is in place even though it's virtually impossible. A friend and colleague is now in isolation because his brother is ill.

my work did this and i got in trouble for saying it was ridiculous when we'd all been sat next to each other all morning and why is the building even still open

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Be very careful about taking a drink to get through this: it's a rabbit hole that's very easy to fall down in this situation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Be very careful about taking a drink to get through this: it's a rabbit hole that's very easy to fall down in this situation.

thats loser talk

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jose posted:

thanks to the government completely half arsing everything i'm stuck having to work 9-5 every day in a building with hundreds of other people at a job that is absolutely not essential and i've got no choice until they willingly close the building because i don't get paid otherwise including if i catch coronavirus and have to stay off work because i'm ill

I would absolutely be having 'food poisoning' in that situation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't get paid in that situation

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Jose posted:

my work did this and i got in trouble for saying it was ridiculous when we'd all been sat next to each other all morning and why is the building even still open

We all know it's ridiculous. Even the management probably know it's ridiculous but they also have to defend the authority of their higher-ups. I've seen many colleagues enter the world of management and there's only been a special few who haven't turned into complete arseholes. The ones who have become complete arseholes were generally arseholes to begin with.

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't even know where to start as it's a rabbit hole to begin with, I've had a history with alcohol and I'm in a much better place these days. I appreciate your concern and I also thank you for the kind words that you have expressed to me these past few days.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
:hmmyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Jose posted:

thats loser talk

I'm going to risk mod sass here.

My brother left for the hospital in an ambulance about one hour and a quarter ago. He has been drinking himself to human wreckage for at least ten years now. He has been having seizures for a long time. Two years ago he got a we all got a big scare when he collapsed in the back yard. He had eight seizures in the span of 45 minutes. He spent about a month in an induced coma in the ICU.

He started drinking heavily several days ago and refused to stop. This morning my father tried to wrestle a half bottle of vodka from him. He succeeded and also took all his cash. After that he went into withdrawal. I know you are supposed to ween an alcoholic off and not stop abruptly but good luck telling that to my pig headed father - my brother is also a mean drunk. I counted at least nine fits before we all decided to ring an ambulance - which was not an easy decision to make at this time of course. The NHS is stressed enough as it is.

10 minutes ago I got a call from my mother. My parents are on their way back home but he is staying overnight for observation. He might be in a jail cell tommorrow. He didn't seem to be coherent when they strapped him down in the ambulance and I guess he tried to break free or manhandle one of the paramedics so they called the police. They were waiting when he got to the hospital.

All this is going to make our house a living hell to be in for the next few days. The shouting and screaming at each other is already bad enough - the family buisiness is a bar and off licence after all and we are all suffering from severe cabin fever. I've got an almost full bottle of cheap scotch stashed in my closet and I can tell you with certainty that the cap is staying on it for tonight at least.

Anyway, TLDR and sorry about that. If anyone is familiar with my post history they will know that alcohol is my own demon too. I just needed to vent. I got phonecalls from the community addiction teams today to tell me that everything they are doing is being put on hold. I didn't really want to call Lifeline or any of the other services because they are probably overwhelmed right now.

Stay safe everyone, don't give into despair. Don't compound your problems with drink.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Traffic Warden uses item Petrol
Car Owner passes turn (timeout)
Traffic Warden uses skill Fire

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I hope panel shows are cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm working as a freelance consultant at the moment and yesterday my client served me my two weeks notice (though my contract was due to end 13 April, the recruiter rang me up and was like "good news it's been extended to 3 April" and I had to patiently explain the contract was until 13 April and if they want to end the contract early it's two weeks notice, grabbing me an extra 3 days of pay).

In the next breath they were like "yeah and next week we need you to go into central London to finish an audit of GDPR for one of our bank clients".

I said sure we will have to look to ensure they can follow social distancing rules, I think in reality by the time next week rolls around government advice may have been changed and either way I'm just going to be like "nah dude".

I've been self isolation with my partner for nearly two weeks now after she developed a cough (likely just her asthma) and I'm not going to be leaving to check some paper record keeping in Central London via the tube for a job that just got rid of me early citing the coronavirus. No idea what that means in terms of terminating my contract early but we will see.