Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol so much for a lock down if you aren't able to work from home and aren't off sick it's business as usual so that's me working in a building with hundreds of others until I get seriously ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1242503532332437505?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thanks to the government completely half arsing everything i'm stuck having to work 9-5 every day in a building with hundreds of other people at a job that is absolutely not essential and i've got no choice until they willingly close the building because i don't get paid otherwise including if i catch coronavirus and have to stay off work because i'm ill

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Yesterday things were tightened at work, each starts later and finishes early. Social distancing is in place even though it's virtually impossible. A friend and colleague is now in isolation because his brother is ill.

my work did this and i got in trouble for saying it was ridiculous when we'd all been sat next to each other all morning and why is the building even still open

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Be very careful about taking a drink to get through this: it's a rabbit hole that's very easy to fall down in this situation.

thats loser talk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't get paid in that situation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the coworker i've been working next to all week lives with his parents and his mum has tested positive

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got 3 weeks of paid leave minimum which is nice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Think im gonna have to order clippers and let my sister have a go at my head lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

NHS staff are having to crowdfund their own protective equipment, how the gently caress does this clownshow government have an approval rating in the 70's for this mess?

We have a press any dictatorship would be jealous of

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lots of DnD stuff going on here which shouldn't be. if people want to rant because the governments convoluted method to try and avoid paying people so they can survive while unable to work thats fine but not arguments about how someone pays slightly less tax through their method of self employment

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to buy mount and blade 2 today having never played warblade

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Are they pokemons or rappers?

You ride a horse and get into huge battles with hundreds of other people

Due to the toilet paper panic buying I installed a bidet attachment and blasting your arse with water and using a few sheet to dry is superior in every way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I wasn't around to do an Irwin R. Schyster run-in on the earlier discussion, but most company directors I'm involved with will pay themselves the £719 per month to take them up to the limit of when they would begin to pay NI/tax, meaning they actually pay less tax that way than by taking dividends only, as well as it counting towards their NI contribution years for state pension eligibility.

That's in fact so common that I'd almost be inclined to ignore the note they've made as not applicable if you don't take it and just claim under the self-employed scheme

Technically I'm not sure that my professional advice can be "just grab everything you can and worry about how it works later", but as a counterpoint, all money is make-believe and with the volumes involved HMRC are going to struggle to audit anything beyond the most obviously bullshit claims.

You do have a very large head so I can believe all of this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol if boris dies after his initial plan to this is just "lets have everyone get it so the economy doesn't flatline"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Boris telling the country to just take it on the chin and dying early on would be something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

He's not going to die.

He's going to survive due to having a guaranteed ventilator, oxygen, team of doctors and a bunch of fresh nurses who aren't using bin bags as their protective gear.

Then, when he recovers, he is going to use this as a shining, personal example of the wonderful NHS and all the extensive support and help his govt gave them and refuse to accept any critism of their policies, despite it being proven that these policies caused the deaths of hundreds of non-prime ministers, if not more.

It's a 50% chance even with a ventilator because your lungs and kidneys both pack it in

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

see this is why its funny

https://twitter.com/Sisyphusa/status/1247457266980343808

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol remember when boris joked about this with operation last gasp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Man I wish I could make cheese in my flat, we've been out of everything but Italian hard cheese for like a week.

If that's not a first world problem I don't know what is.

We're also running out of meat but got some vegetable delivered by the company that normally does my dry cleaning. So I've also made some frankenstein veggie burgers because there's no other way I am eating broccoli and I'm not sure what else I can do with just onions, carrots, and potatoes other than a soup.

Broccoli is great wtf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I boil it for like 4 minutes gosh darn it. Yeah it’s probably better fried or roasted I’ve just never bothered trying. Also my partner gets mad when I put butter on veg (or rice), cultural difference there, he finds it disgusting

yeah thats too long lol

anyway lol we're all being turned into serfs

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1248496829768974336

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

It was that she was bullying Mel C so bad that she ended up with an eating disorder.

i just noticed your av blinks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

She only blinks when I make a good post, so I am not surprised you never noticed.

Who is it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the bbq talk inspired me to go get a disposable one from sainsburys and stuff to go with it mostly because its my birthday tomorrow and the weather is going to be poo poo so i'll do it today

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Went out to my Turkish market to get some groceries and boy it seems like everyone is out of fucks to give about social distancing and quarantine. Burgess Park was packed with people just reading books on the benches, doing yoga and running in groups. There was a long line in front of Tesco and everything else was closed, still too many people out there.

The weather in London is amazing today which makes me all :smith: about things but I have a backlog of Infinity Engine games (BG 1&2, IWD 1&2, PS:T) and my gf made an amazing minted lamb with roast potatoes.

proof that southerners are the cause of all the UKs problems imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I live in Newcastle and it's quite pleasant everyone is nice and while going out too much adhering to social distancing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol that this wasn't already happening

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1250326413460140033

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thank gently caress they've finally said something i mgiht get another 3 weeks full pay no work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roblo posted:

Yay. Another 3 weeks with literally zero proper social contact. I'm going to be a wreck at the end of this.

Stay safe friend I know not everyone is equipped to handle it like I am

And by handle it I mean my liver and booze

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Solefald posted:

Morrisons has the best selection hands down. I could proper go for a prawn mayo butty right now hmmm

its this you can even go to the salad bar and get any selection of carby salads you want

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

To the goon I probated for Gregg's shaming. It was entirely because your rapsheet was empty please don't feel I have something against you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goldenninjawarrior posted:

What stage of quarantine is it when you're considering building yourself a blue peter tracy island just to have a project for maybe a couple days.

buy rimworld instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's a Greggs next to the cinema I used to go with my friends as a young teen in the middle of Leeds, and not wanting to pay cinema prices for snacks and before I realised cinema employees don't give a gently caress what you bring in with you, I used to smuggle in pasties in various pockets to keep me and my munchies sustained

One time I had a cheese and onion pasty in each back pocket of my jeans but forgot about them until I sat down thus caking my arse in delicious pasty mush

:jackbud:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah so long as it fits through the letterbox my postie will deliver it regardless it owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've been doing DDP Yoga most days since this started.
If you have enough room to lie down with your arms stretched out like you're T-posing, you have enough room to do it.
The shorter ones fit nicely into my 'lunch break' on weekdays when I'm working and loosen me up from hunching over a tiny thinkpad all day. The hour ones will kick your arse.
It's not the same sort of calorie shed as say running would be but you definitely work up a sweat, you can feel a measurable difference as you stick with it and unlike running it doesn't set off my asthma.

i have sourced this i'm going to start tomorrow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not getting paid this week and not eligible for furlough due to being a contractor so thanks for not giving a lockdown extension length

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Galewolf posted:

For directors pay retention you don't need to do self assessment, just need to be :

It's probably not much but if you were paying yourself a director's salary before 19 March 2020, you are eligible (even as a director of your own company).

Edit:

ty for the help but none of this applies to me. supposedly umbrella companies are lobbying the government to include them so the massive amount of contractors they employ survive but as with everything else they don't give a poo poo because supposed UK journalists just do this instead

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1254714254638399488?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol unless the government approves a change my furlough wage is 80% the minimum wage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon posted:

Any Virgin goons having broadband issues?

same here in newcastle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wooger posted:

So, what do the umbrella companies do, and why do they exist if you’re self employed?

Why wouldn’t they be included if they’re tax paying, British registered companies?

Yes, it went out from 5ish. Back now.

if you're a contractor you either start a company yourself or use an umbrella company. primarily they pay you via PAYE so you don't have to do taxes or anything but also they're clearly fiddling how they pay us becuase basic pay is min wage and then everything else i should be getting paid is commission from them. except the job i've got pays by the completed work so if you go over the minimum required you get paid for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Sunak wants all small businesses and contractors to go bust so he can offshore all the work to his father in laws company in India. The biggest outsourcing company on the planet. Lol.

lol suddenly it all makes sense