Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I suppose a lot of olive oil being produced (or not produced right now) comes from Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I see the police have already broken up a BBQ now they are telling people to stop sunbathing and go home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aCKX6awHg

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Jose posted:

thats loser talk

I'm going to risk mod sass here.

My brother left for the hospital in an ambulance about one hour and a quarter ago. He has been drinking himself to human wreckage for at least ten years now. He has been having seizures for a long time. Two years ago he got a we all got a big scare when he collapsed in the back yard. He had eight seizures in the span of 45 minutes. He spent about a month in an induced coma in the ICU.

He started drinking heavily several days ago and refused to stop. This morning my father tried to wrestle a half bottle of vodka from him. He succeeded and also took all his cash. After that he went into withdrawal. I know you are supposed to ween an alcoholic off and not stop abruptly but good luck telling that to my pig headed father - my brother is also a mean drunk. I counted at least nine fits before we all decided to ring an ambulance - which was not an easy decision to make at this time of course. The NHS is stressed enough as it is.

10 minutes ago I got a call from my mother. My parents are on their way back home but he is staying overnight for observation. He might be in a jail cell tommorrow. He didn't seem to be coherent when they strapped him down in the ambulance and I guess he tried to break free or manhandle one of the paramedics so they called the police. They were waiting when he got to the hospital.

All this is going to make our house a living hell to be in for the next few days. The shouting and screaming at each other is already bad enough - the family buisiness is a bar and off licence after all and we are all suffering from severe cabin fever. I've got an almost full bottle of cheap scotch stashed in my closet and I can tell you with certainty that the cap is staying on it for tonight at least.

Anyway, TLDR and sorry about that. If anyone is familiar with my post history they will know that alcohol is my own demon too. I just needed to vent. I got phonecalls from the community addiction teams today to tell me that everything they are doing is being put on hold. I didn't really want to call Lifeline or any of the other services because they are probably overwhelmed right now.

Stay safe everyone, don't give into despair. Don't compound your problems with drink.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Shut up Meg posted:

We don't seem to make a big a deal of isolation/loneliness as we should and I think we have the fear that if we say 'I am lonely', it will be treated the same as saying 'I have a poorly tummy' and so we don't share this problem with others and get support.

But the reality is that we are more like those birds that pull their all feathers out if you keep them on their own. If you don't have support at this time, those empty rooms are going to seem really empty and surely one small drink is fine to take the edge off...right?

So lean the gently caress into whatever support you have and take it up a notch: if you usually text someone, call them instead. If you usually call them, video-call them instead. And don't be afraid to make the first step - this may be the time when we all realise the importance of others.

I don't know you very well but I like you. New poster?

Seriously though, this is good advice. I've been in voluntary isolation for the past 2 years because of mental health issues, it would be good if more people thought about everyone lonely.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Shut up Meg posted:

It's wrong to be smiling right now, isn't it?

That would make you a bad person, wouldn't it?

I just opened up youtube a few minutes ago and scrolled down to the news section.

I saw the BBC thumbnail and involuntarily exclaimed "YES!" outloud.

Then a shiver ran down my spine at the thought of the person I have become...

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Man breaks into zoo restaurant and helps himself to beers and wine during corona virus lockdown.

Somebody was thirsty. This is strange since big shops like Tesco etc. are still selling alcohol.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus how high's he set the pressure

Ha, one step closer to living the dream.

I've been looking through my back catalogue of games for something to do and escape reality.

Neverwinter Nights? Nope, starts you off in a plague infected city.

Dying Light? See above!

Deus Ex? Gray death...

Borderlands 2? Awesome! Until I got to the town of Lookout, which involves missions helping people trapped in their homes. Hell, one of the quest givers is even wearing a drat surgical mask.

Guess I'm playing through New Vegas again for like the 6th time... It'll be a warm up for the future.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

crispix posted:

You'd have thought Boris would be more careful since he's really not a spring chicken and is a fat knacker as well

Superman Boris is going to pull through this, you'll see!

From Toby Young:

With his huge mop of blond hair, his tie askew and his shirt escaping from his trousers, he looked like an overgrown schoolboy. Yet with his imposing physical build, his thick neck and his broad, Germanic forehead, there was also something of Nietzsche’s Übermensch about him.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

I know, back in the day (and currently, of course) there was a sizable number of people who hated Thatcher and would have taken to the streets in celebration were she to die in office. The same as how we hated Reagan. How is Bojo viewed in comparison? If Thatcher is 100 on the hatred scale...

About a 50. I will not mourn him because I am a mentally ill person from the UK who was making good progress into becoming a functional member of society until austerity knocked me flat on my rear end again and now there is no help available. I know there are some people in this thread who might think it's ghoulish to celebrate someones death but him and his ilk have caused anxiety and despair to tens of thousands. Now everyone knows the desperation that the poor, sick and disabled have faced for the past ten years.

I'm not going to jump up and down with joy but you've got to understand my lack of sympathy.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

wooger posted:

Who said the goal was to unify? That explicitly wasn’t the goal originally, and it’s the threat of it that has driven the UK further away.

Being able to trade easily and have the same standards for food safety etc. is one thing, becoming some kind of US of E is a totally different thing.

There are real benefits to having control of your own currency, interest rates etc. , which we have benefitted from at times. Also needing approval from France and Germany to print money is obviously not going to be popular.

Also some folks would never agree to have money with our the queen on it. Northern Ireland and Scotland still cling to their vanity banknotes FFS, despite it being the same currency, and wasting poo poo tons of money.

We basically had our cake and could eat it too with the arrangements we had already, and in the best case we’ll go running back with our tail between our legs for a worse deal in future.

I'm from N. Ireland and trust me, everybody would like to use the same notes. My family runs a small buisiness and I have lost count of the amount of times people have come in asking us if we can change N. Irish and Scottish notes into English. Apparently buisinesses in England won't accept them. The Scottish won't accept our notes either for some reason.

I don't know who is in charge of printing money accross the UK but money is money. If a bank accepts it so will we.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Shut up Meg posted:

really sorry if I bummed any of you out before bedtime.

'Bummed' us out and then show us that. Heh.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hammerite posted:

Broccoli is great, but loads of people think it is bad because they've only ever had it overcooked. See also: Brussels sprouts

If your broccoli/brussels sprouts have lost any of their greenness or aren't crunchy, then you cooked them too long

Oh yeah! Any more than three minutes boiled or steamed and you have ruined broccoli. Sprouts work great in a stir fry too. Blanch them and cut them in half down the middle and fry until they have a light brown colour on the inside. Great nutty flavour.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

It's cool dude. Everybody is allowed at least two things that they don't like to eat. For me it's turnips and butterbeans.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Boris is out of the ICU. #Yes Boris now trending on twitter. The tweets are what you would expect.

In some personal news, I live in a small town in N. Ireland and we are the least affected part of the UK so far but that is going to change rapidly. At the weekend I needed some supplies so I went to a local filling station. I walked in through the doors, sanitized my hands and put on the gloves they had sitting out. I did this before I tried to use the ATM outside. I looked over and saw two people in a car and I'm sure they were laughing at me. One was a giant evil looking fat guy (think Buzz from Home Alone only 6'5 and 25 stone) and I'm sure the other guy was his dad. Sitting there laughing at me and eating ice cream cones. Those stupid fucks are going to get us all killed.

An old lady in our town is the first confirmed case and she hadn't left the house for any reason other than to get groceries. That means there are a lot of undiagnosed people out there spreading it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I'll also chime in to say that it is so quiet out there that it is eerie. I took the bins out on tuesday night. No cars in the distance and no people of course but there is no wind either. Normally you hear leaves rustling or a dog barking, none of that either. You look around though and see the lights on in every house nearby, a few shadows behind the blinds. People looking out longingly. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes, as of last week, albeit with hard limits. Same with Zoos and a few other public buildings, stuff like the unemployment office is still closed, which is poo poo cause I got laid off cause of the Rona.

Which is funny cause I had the Rona cause of my work, being a mailman but stayed at home, which my boss didn't like apparently

Strange this. Mail service is privately owned in Germany? After more than a decade of tory misrule it's the only publicly owned service that has not been decimated.