Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

time to take a big swig of coffee and see what the GBS goons have to say about the uk

i have now swallowed my coffee, because nothing was even remotely funny enough to make me do a spit take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why is there not enough corn syrup in there for your tastes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes, lets enjoy the outside world for a maximum of an hour a day

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

My Shoes posted:

jesus you can open your window but you cant go outside?! wtf? why?

come on, have a think. i know you can do this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it, coward. sacrifice your life to make number go up for company

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Galewolf posted:

gently caress, it's like London is the worst place to be in social terms which is like the whole gimmick of the city was being able to do all sorts of different things outside and be able to find all sorts of entertainment. Now it feels like just an expensive prison yard :smith:

yeah it sucks. work from home in the most expensive city in the uk lol

also, all the people are loving morons. you've got people queuing up for supermarkets sticking to the 2m rule, and then as soon as they leave they're brushing shoulders on the pavement and casually licking things

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lemme just google boris bus. oh it's lots of lovely little news articles about his silly little hobby, and not the articles about the poo poo buses that he bought or the brexit NHS bus. that's convenient. thanks media

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sloth Life posted:

I am not looking forward to WFH I live in a teeny weeny flat and the housemate looks like they will be WFH too.
No garden, no space, just the same four badly painted walls and one toilet to go round.

I never realized until now how much work was a change of scenery (short commute helps)

ya the Work Mindset due to the change in environmental context is a thing. it's not a thing worth sacrificing multiple hours of your day for, and i totally understand those with a new love for homeworking and who no longer need to spend hours crammed in someone's armpit on public transport, but i kinda liked being allowed to leave my flat and having two rather long walks a day.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no-one knows what's going on

i still reckon they're hoping to relax restrictions in time for a summer wave of virus fun, because the damage to Number is quite considerable at this point

i will gladly sacrifice your grandmother today in order to have a pint tomorrow

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean presumably they will switch back when demand recedes

if demand recedes

pubs will go out of business because no-one's in them, it was tight margins anyway, and they still need to pay rent etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wooger posted:

Huh? Why don’t they just get jobs in Leicester

lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who wants to spam downing street with goatse

https://twitter.com/nmsonline/status/1244987385181585410?s=19

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the filth clearly have the public interest in mind, and, in their role of community stabilisers, police by consent.

this requires them to audit your cereal purchases and fine you in order to pop an authority-semi, and if it means a couple of people get pneumonia and die when they wouldn't otherwise have done so, that's just the price you pay for a civilised society. Are Boys In Blue need some way to blow off steam

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Saint Drogo posted:

how did you get next week's telegraph already??

im dominic cummings irl

if the coronavirus has its way he'll soon be dominic goings lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeza posted:

no offence, but people might save their pity for people who are really going to suffer rather than somebody who has taken the time to post probably several hundreds thousand pounds worth of conspicuous consumption on this website.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

You have seen the light.

jesus how high's he set the pressure

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lib dem voters will ensure it continues 8pm every thursday forever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

googled my energy supplier because i've got an old pay-as-you-go key electricity meter in this rental place that i haven't gotten swapped out.

mostly just wanted to see whether there was a pay-online function, but got reading their stuff about people isolating due to coronavirus.

real helpful, they were

please ensure you have your emergencies within the defined timeframes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've been trying to not go out unless it's really essential because i'm in one of the more disease-ridden boroughs. from what i can see on my street i'm really not surprised we're in such a bad way

also the buzzing whine of lovely scooter engines driven by delivery drivers is slowly driving me mad

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

johnson with corona, i know, i know, it's serious
johnson with corona i know, i know it's really serious

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a coup by gove. an elite squad of parlimentarians, armed with the mace, will finish boris off at NHS nightingale

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

You'd have thought Boris would be more careful since he's really not a spring chicken and is a fat knacker as well

he didn't believe he could get sick, because he's the prime minster and special

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes, gove finished him off with a pillow

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Torquemada posted:

Just lol if you think Gove is competent to do this. He’d spend an hour trying to figure out which way round the pillow should be.

oh i never said it was intentional

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's better than loving a live pig's head

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

The rich will always find a way to get preferential treatment, though as he's the leader of the country its probably understandable they'd take every precaution in this case.

Don't like the guy at all and whilst I hoped he'd have a lovely week or so feeling a bit miserable I hope he pulls through this alright.

i don't hope he dies with any great fervour, but on balance i'd be in favour of it because that's the funnier outcome

this is not my standard approach to sick people, but when rich conservatives make it abundantly clear they don't see other people as human, it's hard not to return the favour

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't believe the antisemitic virus has assassinated Our Lad Bozza like this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Hmmm, I figure there'd be a sword involved somehow. Either pulled from a stone, or handed to someone by a lady in a lake, or just a good ol' duel.

Extremely disappointed.

Its a mace, you oaf!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jeffery epswine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you fool, you absolute guardian reader

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Yeah I know it's harsh everywhere and it's just my slowly dying extrovert inside wanting to go out and rave with 200 randos in some Brixton venue like the hipster I am.

seeing the dickheads out today; trust me, you don't want to

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeza posted:

France is doing similar or worse on every metric, why exactly is their death toll predicted to be less than a quarter of ours? And Italy is going to somehow completely stop all deaths in about 3-4 days?

maybe it's a population density thing? or perhaps it is due to the SECRET CURE that UNESCO DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW

https://twitter.com/UNESCO/status/1241120640981250048

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that is clearly a cheese

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blanch your green brassicas and then sautee them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i thought he was concious and able to make decisions

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are they the brown ones wrapped in colourful foil? they're loving awful to fry i'll tell you that much

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wooger posted:

I hope they mean “Farmers to pay a reasonable wage”, given that they’re in dire straits if the fruit and veg doesn’t get picked.

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol no need for the slash

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, they say "nothing lasts forever" and then immediately follow up with "friendship never ends", which is jarringly inconsistent.

it isn't a negative statement, op. they are saying that the concept of 'nothing' is eternal, and directly equating it with 'friendship', implying that these two eternal concepts are identical. friendship, in the scheme of things, means nothing.

the juxtaposition between this actual semantic content of the song and the syntactical context of a bunch of people jumping around indicating that they are friends is a direct and searing indictment of the manufactured nature of the girl group's relationship - remember, Wannabe was the debut single, and the group had barely come together.

also they said 'zig a zig ah' because it sounded funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HJB posted:

The line is "make it last forever" OP, and yes I am aware of most of the traps I'm falling into.

gently caress now i need to pick a new topic for my phd