Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-5-09/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Installed this recently and enjoying it a bunch. Tempted to hit up ranked but I should really get more familiar with the various abilities and what they do, plus unlock some more agents. Here's some ramblings/questions:

Sova is best arrows everywhere. Drone is hard to use though, so slow.

Jfc it takes some grind to unlock compared to league but I guess there's not that many agents.

Matchmaking is a bit rough, maybe it evens out later. Just finished a game where I was the second highest level player at 17. The highest was 155 and wiped the floor with us. Also had games where I'm the highest on my team, other team's lowest level is higher than me.

Everyone is surprisingly chill for the most part? If I'm last standing and get chumped, people just type in 'nice try'. Also will say well played if I wipe the last two enemies out. Maybe this changes in ranked.

I turned off voice chat instantly. Good choice or bad?

Is there a site somewhere that gives a breakdown of status effects, how long abilities last etc?

Do goons still play, the discord seems dead

Thank you and god bless

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

el dingo posted:

Installed this recently and enjoying it a bunch. Tempted to hit up ranked but I should really get more familiar with the various abilities and what they do, plus unlock some more agents. Here's some ramblings/questions:

Sova is best arrows everywhere. Drone is hard to use though, so slow.

Jfc it takes some grind to unlock compared to league but I guess there's not that many agents.

Matchmaking is a bit rough, maybe it evens out later. Just finished a game where I was the second highest level player at 17. The highest was 155 and wiped the floor with us. Also had games where I'm the highest on my team, other team's lowest level is higher than me.

Everyone is surprisingly chill for the most part? If I'm last standing and get chumped, people just type in 'nice try'. Also will say well played if I wipe the last two enemies out. Maybe this changes in ranked.

I turned off voice chat instantly. Good choice or bad?

Is there a site somewhere that gives a breakdown of status effects, how long abilities last etc?

Do goons still play, the discord seems dead

Thank you and god bless

In unranked having voice off is fine, but you should probably have it on in ranked and just mute assholes. Some people over communicate which is annoying, but having it on is usually good.

Unranked tends more to be a brutal stomp one way or the other quite a bit more often than ranked. I consider ranked a lot more fun.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The absolute most annoying poo poo is people backseat gaming (or trolling which is easy to mute), but if you aren’t communicating you’re gonna have a tough row to hoe in ranked for sure.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'll get to it soon. Should I be at least somewhat familiar with an agent in each role or is it fine to just stick to two roles? I'm good with initiators and sentinels but controllers are tricky for example

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Ngl when you get into ranked you’ll find out you’re bad with all of them. It takes a ton of games to get really good with an agent imo. I flat out don’t play duelists and I’ve played thousands of games. I always have a secondary agent in case someone locks in the best agent, Killjoy. I can toggle into fade and sage and Brimstone if I have too. You can always fill if you know an initiator or controller

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 3, 2022

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

el dingo posted:

I'll get to it soon. Should I be at least somewhat familiar with an agent in each role or is it fine to just stick to two roles? I'm good with initiators and sentinels but controllers are tricky for example

It’s best to just get that rear end into some ranked games. You’ll improve fastest there for sure.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Okay thousands might have been an exaggeration. I’ve played 1,222 ranked games. I also stink at the game

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ll also just add that it’s best to be as flexible as possible. Some people ONLY play like one role and that’s stupid as poo poo to me. You will gain a better understanding of the entire game by playing everything depending on what your team needs, and you’ll just be a much better player than if you just play brimstone and chamber or something.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
OK thanks. I guess it's just an Internet number and I shouldn't sweat it.

Forgot this in my other post: Reyna can get in the bin

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I don’t play duelists because having to actually be the first to push onto site or reliably win a gunfight is my worst nightmare because I’m terrible. My go to used to be raze by now that I’m gold it’s just pathetic when I actually pick her

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Also practice only headshots, spraying in this game is RNG compared to CSGO and sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. Because it takes 4+ shots to kill without a HS.

You'll find you die a lot to single headshot from Vandal, nothing else cuts it really unless the other players are also missing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
You can spray a little with Phantom if you're playing a controller or Jett (tracers) but yeah, otherwise I just run Vandal and the headshots feel so good.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

When another team can’t hit headshots I buy the Odin and start massacring them, don’t @ me

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I mean, it's the right move especially on defense and double especially on Haven, Icebox, etc lmao

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Odin firing at a C push when it’s smoked off is absolutely a weapon of mass destruction

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm very simple so I just use the Judge like a scrub.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValorantPBE/comments/ymd795/november_4_2022_valorant_510_pbe_patch_notes_bug/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://valorantesports.com/news/watch-game-changers-championship-earn-drops/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRmmWiBmMMD43m5VtZq54nKlmj0ZtythsA1qCpegwx-iRptx2HEsG0T3cQlG1r2AIiKxBWnaurJZQ9Q/pubhtml

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-5-10/

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Oh rad, had the tourney on twitch on my phone while chilling on the sofa and got the title after like 20 mins. Cool tourney too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I liked R6 Siege and wasn't a big fan of Counter-Strike, is Valorant anything I should check out or nah?

Specifically I wasn't a fan of the big focus on pattern control in CS, and I was a fan of a big focus on characters with unique abilities in R6 Siege (many of which allowed you to excel without you being able to aim well).

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

If I liked R6 Siege and wasn't a big fan of Counter-Strike, is Valorant anything I should check out or nah?

Specifically I wasn't a fan of the big focus on pattern control in CS, and I was a fan of a big focus on characters with unique abilities in R6 Siege (many of which allowed you to excel without you being able to aim well).

Fundamentally, Valorant does favor gunplay fundamentals over ability fundamental. While abilities are useful, I have seen a lot of beginners favor using their abilities when they could just kill with their gun. (Though I have also seen the reverse where players rely too much on gunplay and not enough on their abilities.) There is balance, but abilities are mostly akin to CS having flashbangs and grenades, though certain roles or agents allow you contribute significantly without aiming well. (Someone is at the highest ranks mostly using the shotgun.)

Nonetheless, the game is free, so feel free to just to test run it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Flair posted:

Fundamentally, Valorant does favor gunplay fundamentals over ability fundamental. While abilities are useful, I have seen a lot of beginners favor using their abilities when they could just kill with their gun. (Though I have also seen the reverse where players rely too much on gunplay and not enough on their abilities.) There is balance, but abilities are mostly akin to CS having flashbangs and grenades, though certain roles or agents allow you contribute significantly without aiming well. (Someone is at the highest ranks mostly using the shotgun.)

Nonetheless, the game is free, so feel free to just to test run it.
I see.
Which characters have a bigger focus on their abilities over gunplay?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Jack Trades posted:

I see.

Not really any of them. Comparing the abilities to grenades in CS is exactly right. You’re going to need to learn to shoot and to try and play smart. People talk about agents like reyna but she’s only good if you can frag. You can play support characters, but that takes smarts and you’re trying to set your team up for success using your abilities, you’re not going to be killing people with them very often. If that’s not your bag then idk, but why not just give the game a shot if you’re interested?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tetramin posted:

Not really any of them. Comparing the abilities to grenades in CS is exactly right. You’re going to need to learn to shoot and to try and play smart. People talk about agents like reyna but she’s only good if you can frag. You can play support characters, but that takes smarts and you’re trying to set your team up for success using your abilities, you’re not going to be killing people with them very often. If that’s not your bag then idk, but why not just give the game a shot if you’re interested?

I'm perfectly fine with not being the person that gets all the kills.

I'm primarily interested in what characters I should be looking at to be useful to the team without having good aim, because I imagine the game dripfeeds you characters very slowly?
If I unlock characters are extremely reliant on their aim to not be a dead weight then I'm gonna drop the game very fast, because I'm not that interested in playing CSGO again.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I'm primarily interested in what characters I should be looking at to be useful to the team without having good aim, because I imagine the game dripfeeds you characters very slowly?
If I unlock characters are extremely reliant on their aim to not be a dead weight then I'm gonna drop the game very fast, because I'm not that interested in playing CSGO again.

Valorant plays and feels very much like CSGO. If you fundamentally disliked CS, then there's a high chance that you'll dislike Valorant for similar reasons. You don't have to learn spray patterns, but in every other respect, it's very similar.

Edit: You have to be able to shoot well in order to contribute to the team. It's not really the sort of game where you can just rely on your characters ability/playstyle instead of shooting things.

Edit2: Try Sage. Your goal is basically to watch the team's backs and make sure that no one flanks your team and shoots you all from behind. Try and learn at least one good wall on each match and do that.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 25, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I see.

Characters that are controllers, sentinels (except Chamber), and initiators can help out a ton if you know how to use their abilities well without knowing much about aiming. Though this requires game knowledge and perhaps some lineups (i.e. knowing where to use them). For instance, if you want to play a controller agent well, as a beginner, you are going to have to watch videos of the fundamentals of placing smokes on certain maps. And if you are playing solo, you are also to going to have to tolerate that some teammates may not respond correctly even if you have the correct usage of util. (Nevertheless, aiming is always helpful regardless of your agent.)

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

here's specifically who you should unlock with your first two fast unlocks, imo: fade and killjoy. fade is a good option for a second initiator besides sova because she has a lower skillcap (less reliant on learning lineups, though there are nasty haunts/seizes you can learn) and can't blind her teammates like the other three, avoiding any tilt from noobs who didn't look away even when you called a flash. killjoy is a good second sentinel because she exerts site control in a more passive manner than sage does (except on breeze, please never pick kj on that map) and can help you in post-plants on attack because you can avoid peeking by placing your mollies on the bomb. other options that would be fine are cypher (sentinel with tripwires and an r6 siege camera, might be comfortable for you) or any controller that piques your interest (since you already have the most noob friendly controller, brim, as one of the starting five)

demostars fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 26, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-chamber-changes-for-patch-5-12/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-map-pool-changes-january-2023/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValorantCompetitive/comments/zb29ja/pbe_512_patch_notes/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-5-12/

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Wow they made some huge nerfs/buffs there. And why nerf the Spectre god drat it

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

i am a moron posted:

Wow they made some huge nerfs/buffs there. And why nerf the Spectre god drat it

Spectre is a very common purchase for round 2, force buys, half-buys, etc. I assume this slight nerf is to encourage slightly more diversity.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea they mentioned that in the notes I just don’t get it. Half buy king is Marshall, spectre was fine as is for the times when you might need it… it wasn’t THAT good as is

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-2022-year-end/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Red Bull Tournament is giving title and spray for watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://twitter.com/playvalorant/status/1601970067356491776