Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How do you play sage I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

put orb in choke
then put wall on choke
then put another orb in choke

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Boooooring

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prom candy posted:

Boooooring

Use wall to get into a weird spot. Shoot at people breaking the wall that are very confused about where you could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4TwITH7UsA

Shows some example walls including a few one ways.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

hobbesmaster posted:

Use wall to get into a weird spot. Shoot at people breaking the wall that are very confused about where you could be.

Do this a couple times really early in the match, force it if you have to. Congrats, you've now forced them to be honest and assume you're on top of the wall every round, even if you never do it again. You've made the best piece of utility in the game even better.

Also if you're playing in a coordinated team or have a talkative pubbie, pair your slow orbs with offensive utility to do even more damage. Raze nades are great, Raze nades in chokepoints with a slow down are amazing.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Famethrowa posted:

Too many angles to check as an attacker, mostly. Streamlining the pathways to site would help.

My new favorite map, gimmicky as it is, is the teleporter map. Having a quick but risky rotation is a cool risk/reward option, and it benefits coordinated teams.

Also Raze's abilities can all go through the teleporter.

Had a game the other day where the two remaining attackers jumped through the mid portal and hid in the room with the rest of the team waiting for them to pop out. One ult, a nade and two blast packs later we won.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

hobbesmaster posted:

i hate all the wall boosts that are just entirely used as a boost without fulfilling the function of actually 'walling' something off but drat i never thought of a lot of those applications

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's not even especially useful as a wall because it has so little hp. It's 3 shotgun shots, a handful of knife hits, or about one mag from the ARs and you're through.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Just got into this a couple days ago. Pretty fun so far, but goddamn the decision to have games go to 13 wins even in unranked is killing me. Having to set aside at least 30 minutes per (potentially entirely hopeless) game is something of an entry barrier.
I like the game but this is my biggest frustration so far--games are just so LONG. I think it'd feel a lot better if it were first to 10 rather than 13.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-us/news/announcements/valorant-closed-beta-ends-may-28/

Beta ends on the 28th so there will be 5 days of downtime before launch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's not even especially useful as a wall because it has so little hp. It's 3 shotgun shots, a handful of knife hits, or about one mag from the ARs and you're through.

It blocks vision and ensures that the enemy team has to make a lot of noise to push which I think means its got a lot of utility if you can use it as more than just a boost.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:siren: Also the store closes in a few hours so this is your last chance to buy Valorant Points and get them refunded with the 20% bonus on launch :siren:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

repiv posted:

:siren: Also the store closes in a few hours so this is your last chance to buy Valorant Points and get them refunded with the 20% bonus on launch :siren:

i'm pretty sure that's the case because VP numbers will be boosted 20% more in general

surc
Aug 17, 2004

:confused:

It delays being able to push something, denies visibility, requires spamming a full* clip at or not having a gun out to break while making a bunch of noise, and often funnels people through a smaller entrance meaning you have less angles to hold if they do break through. That's.... extremely useful.

E: oh hobbes made the same point, that's what I get for leaving my post sitting.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2020

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
You could take away Sage's slow orbs and her ult and she'd still be the best agent in the game.

That's the way it feels anyway, but I'm also terrible.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Walling off someone hiding in a corner during the pistol round is the most satisfying use ever. Easiest 1v1 ever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

It blocks vision and ensures that the enemy team has to make a lot of noise to push which I think means its got a lot of utility if you can use it as more than just a boost.

yeah I didn't call it useless, but a lot of it's utility as a wall comes from teams acting like it is a barrier that you can't just sneeze at and destroy

In particular i think it's way more useful as an information barrier than as a mobility barrier in a lot of cases, especially because like half of the cast has ways to get over walls

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Walling off someone hiding in a corner during the pistol round is the most satisfying use ever. Easiest 1v1 ever.

There are some really stupid, hilarious ways it can be useful. I've walled a buddy by accident into a tiny pocket of space outside of the teleporter by hookah and he got a bunch of kills when they teleported over because who tf would ever be playing there

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yeah I didn't call it useless, but a lot of it's utility as a wall comes from teams acting like it is a barrier that you can't just sneeze at and destroy

most of its utility is that it's hard af for a solo player to break, and the only effective way to break it is to have multiple teammates spam it.... instantly revealing the location of a attacker probe, and potentially enabling a defender rotate.

.... that is absurdly good.

edit: you do say it is an information utility, which :same: but I don't think it was intended to be a physical utility primarily.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
solo player with a shotgun needs 3 shots to destroy it. knife also wrecks it since the buff.

Otherwise, I agree. basically it's a swiss army knife that's really good for a bunch of things. Good wall use is going to hopefully give you several advantages, eg a bunch of the walls in the vid that give you both extra los/info, vertical peeks, and restrict mobility

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

All I ask is they take away Sage’s ability to heal herself. Being able to get back to almost 100% just by breaking line of sight is some call of duty bullshit

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

am I the only one who doesn't think the heal is that big of a deal? It doesn't repair armor, which means you will lose a spray fight against a healthy opponent, and head shots kill you pretty much instantly whether you have 20 or 100 hp anyway.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Nah I agree, she would still be good without healing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i hope they remove healing others so team mates will stop going 'sage heal me' as they run in circles around me at full speed

also

*runs around a corner gets lasered in the face while sage is back holding site*
'sage why didn't you heal me'

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

d0grent posted:

am I the only one who doesn't think the heal is that big of a deal? It doesn't repair armor, which means you will lose a spray fight against a healthy opponent, and head shots kill you pretty much instantly whether you have 20 or 100 hp anyway.

If you're at 20 hp and there's no Sage in your team the enemy will know they don't need to headshot you and will just shoot you in the chest or even wallbang you knowing any damage will kill you. The moment you add a Sage to the equation that kind of info becomes a lot less reliable and forces your enemy to aim for tougher shots, whether you've actually been healed or not.

She's also invaluable in pistol rounds.

Elman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 23, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
What is the best way to bind walk and crouch? I could put crouch as a mouse button but that would mess up my aim.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
shift and control respectively, never toggle

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would use some combination of tab/caps/shift/ctrl. Whatever is comfortable for you to press simultaneously while using the movement keys.

You can press ctrl using your palm below your pinky as kind of like a sixth digit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
This feels like worse csgo with way more qol. I think I’m checking out for a while and hopefully half of the dumb broken poo poo is fixed when I feel like playing again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

All I ask is they take away Sage’s ability to heal herself. Being able to get back to almost 100% just by breaking line of sight is some call of duty bullshit

IMO get rid of heal, get rid of res, never put any abilities even similar to them in the game ever.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Elman posted:

If you're at 20 hp and there's no Sage in your team the enemy will know they don't need to headshot you and will just shoot you in the chest or even wallbang you knowing any damage will kill you. The moment you add a Sage to the equation that kind of info becomes a lot less reliable and forces your enemy to aim for tougher shots, whether you've actually been healed or not.

She's also invaluable in pistol rounds.

the difference between killing someone at 20hp and 100hp with no armor even with bad body shots is like 500ms or less. I'm certainly not saying the ability is useless because it's definitely not, but surely it's not the part of her kit that makes her op.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

fadam posted:

IMO get rid of heal, get rid of res, never put any abilities even similar to them in the game ever.

Even wc3 mod kept it very careful with the heals and res's. I just think the riot pedigree is going to force it in the game no matter what

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's zero chance they get rid of it. It's one of their core 'we aren't the same as CSGO' things. especially when most of the other abilities are just aping some sort of grenade utility

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

even if they gimped the healing to only get you back to 50hp it would help a lot. right now it feels bad to make a "tagged 90" call, and then have your teammate die because they didn't fully spraydown.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think the only way you'd get that is if they majorly reduced the cooldown on the heal, which imo would be a lot worse than just keeping it at full heal on a very long cd.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think the only way you'd get that is if they majorly reduced the cooldown on the heal, which imo would be a lot worse than just keeping it at full heal on a very long cd.

maybe im thinking about it wrong, but I feel like heals should really only prevent you from being insta killed by utility powers. maybe that's too weak (or would feel too weak?), but, other heroes rechargeable powers don't feel very strong either.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

maybe make the heal way more obvious to the other team and make it take way waaay longer. like 10 seconds to get the full effect and there’s a loud audio cue as it’s happening. there has to be an additional trade off beyond what currently exists- especially because it can help a teammate.

getting tagged to within an inch of your life- ducking behind cover for a second, then popping back out with almost full health is a crap play mechanic, full stop.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

maybe im thinking about it wrong, but I feel like heals should really only prevent you from being insta killed by utility powers. maybe that's too weak (or would feel too weak?), but, other heroes rechargeable powers don't feel very strong either.

Eh I think all the rechargable powers are generally strong enough to give you some kind of tangible advantage in a 1v1 if used smartly and I think sage's heal is in line with that, more or less.

A lot of the counterplay is just knowing that they have a sage and keeping track of where she's playing and assuming that if you chunk someone but don't kill them that they'll be at 100 hp next time you see them barring any other info. I agree that she doesn't especially fit the flow of this sort of game, but i think there's literally zero chance that she gets reworked before anyone else.

my real concern is how many more healer archetype characters they plan to introduce.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Bring on more healers, I'll be chilling with the vandal :blastu:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

A rez, a heal, and a wall are abilities that should be on 3 different characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Make all characters as good as Sage, don't nerf her down.