Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it was more Rock/Brock. We've seen the narrative from the Monday Night Wars defections. WWE makes stars, WCW bought them. They justified that internally and won and once it was over we saw those narratives and terms like "WWE Castoff" born to fans. WWE told everyone that they were the one place that could evaluate and make talent and a generation of fans largely bought into it. And there was no one left to steal talent from them anyway.

But Rock and Brock didn't leave for another wrestling company, they chose not to work for WWE. Even to a lesser extent someone like Lashley. That's round about the time you stopped seeing WWE let anyone ever get TOO over and when someone like Punk or Bryan did they got cut off at the knees.

Its a big part of why AEW is a gamechanger. Because its been a long time since acts like the Revival or Brodie Lee had some negotiating leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Actually your explanation makes better sense. It's one thing to lose a wrestler to the competition, but to have them quit to go into an entirely different profession?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Time for Round 2!

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1246207565337366528

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even though the Lashley/Rusev storyline was kinda racist, kinda homophobic, all terrible, and I just mapped it out in the WWE thread and maybe went a little insane in the process...

The whole ACH saga is just hard for me to see voting against.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The blatant gaslighting of ACH and it being right there out in the open on twitter is what puts it ahead for me. The cuckoldry angle got really old, pretty racist and pretty homophobic but at least you don't watch a man melt down in real time over that poo poo.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 5, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

The blatant gaslighting of ACH and it being right there out in the open on twitter is what puts it head for me. The cuckoldry angle got really old, pretty racist and pretty homophobic but at least you don't watch a man melt down in real time over that poo poo.

Yeah this is where I'm at. Like he did a handful of indie dates since leaving, and we know AEW would scoop him up in a second if he wanted to, but the mental/emotional abuse was so damaging that they essentially drove ACH out of the business. This could be a Dark Side of the Ring episode in 5 years, if not sooner. WWE basically killed the career of an extremely talented wrestler with megastar potential, and for the dumbest pettiest reasons possible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Blackface shirt advances.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1246588981556412416

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the most disgusting thing is that we could have been having a BoneZone Match every week for the past however many years and instead we got whatever everything else was

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MotU posted:

the most disgusting thing is that we could have been having a BoneZone Match every week for the past however many years and instead we got whatever everything else was

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MotU posted:

That's what Lucha Underground segments were.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1246977416423235584

Saudi Plane Incident advances with 87%!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please save for the NY20 sending out 15-20 wrestlers to fall over each other in a giant pile in the middle of a global pandemic in contravention of all gathering guidelines so they could do a 24/7 Title segment at Wrestlemania

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Please save for the NY20 sending out 15-20 wrestlers to fall over each other in a giant pile in the middle of a global pandemic in contravention of all gathering guidelines so they could do a 24/7 Title segment at Wrestlemania

Hell the NY20 could just be that vs. propaganda.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Underpaying talent advanced!

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1247587917884731397

bartok
May 10, 2006

Not granting releases to "independent contractors" is pretty lovely but nothing can stop the juggernaut that is WWE's KSA propaganda.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

bartok posted:

Not granting releases to "independent contractors" is pretty lovely but nothing can stop the juggernaut that is WWE's KSA propaganda.

Only thing that could top it would be Vince going full Dana and moving the WWE to Private Island

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe I've become desensitized to seeing the Saudi stuff so much but I felt like the contract disputes were a more direct and tangible evil since its robbing people of valuable years of their primes.

But I feel like I might be openly contradicting myself again. But I guess that's kind of the nature of a bunch of judgment calls. And the KSA thing will win anyway.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
At some point you just need to put stuff in the hall of shame; ring boy; moolah; benoit; ksa; vince because they're always gonna win out until they meet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

At some point you just need to put stuff in the hall of shame; ring boy; moolah; benoit; ksa; vince because they're always gonna win out until they meet

Well all of that stuff can't come up again... but there might be some repeats if I get the energy to the N64 later this year.

The N Stands for Nashville. However that would be your Hogans and Bischoffs not your Vinces and Moolahs.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1248377995665915909

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Will it be an all Saudi final?

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1248777136221159424

bartok
May 10, 2006

Saudi propaganda should win but underpaying talent pisses me off more. Just hearing about that Fox deal and knowing the talent weren't going to see a cent of it is just disgusting. On the other hand you got WWE praising the KSA while they are actively committing genocide is still the worst loving thing ever.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

bartok posted:

Saudi propaganda should win but underpaying talent pisses me off more. Just hearing about that Fox deal and knowing the talent weren't going to see a cent of it is just disgusting. On the other hand you got WWE praising the KSA while they are actively committing genocide is still the worst loving thing ever.

With this 100%.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/1248792588892717056?s=19

I think 2020 is about wrapped up

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Saudi propaganda for me.

It's one thing taking the wheelbarrow full of money being offered to you by a murderous regime. It's completely another to then say things like "Look at how woke they are, they opened ONE cinema, and they LET women drive now. If only we could all be as progressive as this royal-born billionaire who ordered the death of a journalist."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

There's going to be a lot of competition:

- playing chicken with the city of Tampa over Wrestlemania
- not telling Roman Reigns to stay home during a pandemic
- falsely advertising matches on pre-taped shows

Plus there's still 8 months to do more horrible things.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

At least we're watching this company burn like Rome. Which at least has a measure of catharsis to it. And a nice contrast to the rest of the country.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Are they just kind of assuming that "the worst is over" then? Even though I just got a notification on my phone to tell me that the US has now had more deaths than Italy?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Are they just kind of assuming that "the worst is over" then? Even though I just got a notification on my phone to tell me that the US has now had more deaths than Italy?

They're panicking over a clause in their contract that they've already broken (limited amount of shows they can provide that are taped; already exceeded it) and Vince thinks Fox has buyer's remorse

So everyone there is back to work and live until basically the plug's pulled or people are imprisoned/dead en masse

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chris James 2 posted:

They're panicking over a clause in their contract that they've already broken (limited amount of shows they can provide that are taped; already exceeded it) and Vince thinks Fox has buyer's remorse

So everyone there is back to work and live until basically the plug's pulled or people are imprisoned/dead en masse

If Vince wasn't the living embodiment of evil in this world I'd almost feel bad for him getting stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

We've not even had four full months yet and this is Vince we're talking about. There's still plenty of time for him to outdo himself many times over.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

If Vince wasn't the living embodiment of evil in this world I'd almost feel bad for him getting stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

I gotta assume if that scenario was true (and it strikes me at the moment that it might just be an excuse thrown out there by WWE defenders to try and save face) that WWE would have a pretty solid legal case that the situation and government shelter in place restrictions void that part of the contract. And if WWE made the right decision and Fox demanded they do live shows they could raise holy hell publicly and then they WOULD be on the right side of things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You're assuming his decision to continue running live is based on anything but his ego and the fact that his wife was literally in the current president's cabinet, and the president is in his company's hall of fame.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I'm not. Like I said I think the contract thing is coming off like a transparent attempt to spin the story as something WWE is being forced to do. Even if its true about the contract and Fox/USA aren't saying "no of course this is extenuating circumstances" like any sports league contracts or whatever it still doesn't change the fact that this falls in line both with what WWE/Vince have done all along and what we know the Trump Administration is openly pressuring sports leagues to do for the good of his campaign. Just because WWE might have found a convenient contract excuse to blame it on doesn't change anything for me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

We've not even had four full months yet and this is Vince we're talking about. There's still plenty of time for him to outdo himself many times over.

Dave did mention on WOR today that people in the WWE know about Dana's plans for fight Island so we could have that edge this out!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
FIGHT ISLAND IS REAL. IT’S REAL AND IT’S REALLY HAPPENING. ON AN ISLAND.

Sorry, got a short deadline to make a FIGHT ISLAND IS REAL track for a compilation, and I’ve done nothing but arrange beats and listen to clips of Dana White for the past two days. Luckily, it’s goddamn hilarious.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Fox Sports is trying to play hardball with Vince after seeing how they treated their talking heads after things locked down, but also, they don’t have a legal leg to stand on if pressed. In this case, everyone is wrong, and I hope the talent doesn’t suffer as a result :smith: WWE gonna be the next Gamestop at this rate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finals time! We've had 3 entrants for 2020 in the last 3 days, next year will be wild.

And if I have time, The Nashville 64 will be as wild.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1249819625505935368

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One fed into the other to it's a push for me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the plane incident was imo a new low in terms of the contempt they show for their own performers, while the return of propaganda was a continuation of how lovely they are

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

But Vince got the Bludgeon Brother's hammers out of Saudi Arabia on his jet. He's a real hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

I went with the plane incident because it is a new wrinkle to this horrible KSA debacle.