Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, this was a really well-done system, but for various reasons the level design got really tedious for me. The lack of in-mission save is a big problem for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Always thought this was a weird mission because I feel like I totally could have taken on whatever enemies come along when you're told to retreat, especially with Thomas' AA guns hanging around to kill bombers. Anyways outside of facing aerodynes with nothing capable of shooting back torpedo infantry are one of the most dangerous enemies in the game, bar one.

There's definitely the signs of some of these problems in the mission design, such as this, where the scripting feels too forced. The 'counterattack' earlier was another one, in which the Order decided not to actually attack your base, but instead keep a ton of units in reserve so they could ambush you piecemeal when you came to destroy their base. I think it's what leads the player to start to distrust not only their 'intel' but the whole premise of each mission because they start to expect the game to trick them.

This one I found a bit frustrating simply because I assumed you had to try and save Thomas, and I'd stick around for too long. If you do follow orders for once it does turn out to be okay, it seems.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 22, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Now we're starting to see some of the issues with the lack of save. That level was over an hour without the edits. You have to eliminate a whole lot of infantry of both kinds, and deal with air and heavy armored units. And you're just one missed patrol, or one faulty pathfinding route, or one poorly-timed move away from disaster.

I do like that you're forced to use good tactics, and in truth you can play well enough to avoid getting surprised most of the time. But it makes for a very tedious experience.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 30, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think you're being overcautious about the templars, but I pity the PBI because you're using them for the front line and having an overpowered tank line that pretty much never sees action. In this mission you mentioned having your heavy tanks 'at the front' but that ended up being so far behind the infantry line that you took heavy losses.

I think there are many places where you could be using fighters/scouts for recon (if you send them way past the target they take very little AA damage), but I can see not using them since they take a fair amount of micro to keep them safe, and on long missions the chip damage means they aren't as useful near the end.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's weird that I really don't recall this side of the campaign, although I recognize enough of it (especially that last battle) that I must have played it. I think the game does kind of feel tired at times, and it's more in the battle/scenario design than in the unit tactics. It really would have been better served by having limited reinforcements (I'm thinking, like the Blitzkrieg games) instead of essentially forcing you to never take losses through multiple tough engagements.

Do you know if Ground Control 2 did anything new with the formula, or is essentially more of the same?

And every time I hear about Imperium Galactica, I momentarily get excited until I realize I've confused it with Imperium Galactum.