Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm sticking with my previous vote for Germany. A-H is a sneaky contender though, because four different countries can currently team up against them, so it could go downhill fast if other countries decide to do so.

SUMMARY OF ALL RUNNING BETS:
Next country to get eliminated:
Immediately after a country gets knocked out, everybody can bet on the next country to be eliminated. Every time you’re right, you get a point, top score at the end wins the category.
Round 1 completed! Congratulations to silvergoose, Jobbo_Fett, Namtab, Old Grey Guy for correctly betting on France to get wiped off the map. :toot:

Current player scores:
1 point: silvergoose, Jobbo_Fett, Namtab, Old Grey Guy

Active bets for next county out:
Austria-Hungary (4): Ferrosol, HisMajestyBOB, Mirrors, Xelkelvos
Britain (2): biosterous, Namtab
Germany (4): anilEhilated, Coward, MagusofStars, wologar
Italy (5): bunnyofdoom, Eeepies, koolkevz666, silvergoose, Tevery Best
Russia (0):
Turkey (1): Jobbo_Fett
Italy/Austria simulatneously (1): ZiegeDame

Overall winner:
Austria-Hungary (5): Cythereal, Jesenjin, Mirrors, Namtab, Old Grey Guy
Britain (2): biosterous, Rocket Baby Dolls
France (1): wologar
Germany (1): Eeepies
Italy (4): anilEhilated, Gamerofthegame, HisMajestyBOB, Jobbo_Fett
Russia (4): Coward, Dav, MagusofStars, Tevery Best
Turkey (2): Akratic Method, silvergoose
Joint France/UK (1): bunnyofdoom

EDIT: Votes current as of 4/14 at 5:00 am.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Guessing Italy.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Austria Hungary next out at this rate.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sticking with my bets, Britain next out and also Britain overall winner

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Italy is my guess for next out.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Voting GermanyTurkey next out because I believe in the power of Austro-Italian friendship

e: changed my bet because if I'm going to bet on the power of friendship in Diplomacy I might as well go all the way

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 11, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Turkey's next

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

:siren: France is first out! :siren:

And their true identity is revealed!

:france:
This was the most fun game of Diplomacy I've ever been in. Extremely well played all around.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

oldskool posted:

:france:
This was the most fun game of Diplomacy I've ever been in. Extremely well played all around.

You were extremely scary in that game, and it took literally all of your neighbours ganging up on you to stop you!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Meanwhile I have no loving clue how the Italy / A-H cooperation is still going on. Every turn I think, this gotta be the stab turn, every turn they don't.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Omobono posted:

Meanwhile I have no loving clue how the Italy / A-H cooperation is still going on. Every turn I think, this gotta be the stab turn, every turn they don't.

You may not have to wait long

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
There goes my overall winner vote. I suppose I'm not allowed to change it, now that France is out, right?

Next to be eliminated: Germany.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alittle risky, but i think Britain will be next out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, poo poo you lose the game that fast if you're out of stars? Holy moly. Or did that happen because the clock ticked over to Winter?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Veryslightlymad posted:

Oh, poo poo you lose the game that fast if you're out of stars? Holy moly. Or did that happen because the clock ticked over to Winter?

Basically how it works is that you need those stars to sustain your armies, and they formally change control in winter. If you don't have any left, well, GG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any chance we could get some kind of postmortem or retrospective from France, or would that ruin the rest of the game?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
On-going reports are fair game. Whatever you want to do to influence the game is fair and just. The app is wholly neutral, so I encourage players to do whatever it takes. I think people have held off so as not to mess with in progress turns. But hey, oldskool is now under no obligation to silence... so I encourage it!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I mean, France already handed Naples to Turkey out of sheer spite, so I see no reason not to spill all the juicy secrets that will make their enemies lives more difficult

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:getin:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My non-existent money is on Austria-Hungary to be the next to die. Also this LP is inspiring me to play diplomacy again for the first time in 10 years. So GJ

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Well-played!

I will stick with Germany, although I feel I should pick Italy next out.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I had alliances with everybody on the western half against everybody else on the western half and it went exactly as you'd expect once those players found out!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha, i think we were all hoping for juicer details. that is an appropriately diplomatic answer though!

(shpuld have some free time this afternoon to do another post)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I can safely say that every attempt to support anyone anywhere in the last couple years was usually a bluff that went nowhere. Turkey actually took me up on an offer & that's why they have Naples.

I've played as France before, and I did what I always do as France: I negotiated with Italy and made Piedmont a DMZ, because it's just easier for both France & Italy if they aren't trying to fight each other through that narrow passageway. My main problem is that I needed Britain to team with me against Germany, and Germany to team with me against Britain, and uh, diplomacy happened. I stabbed Britain at the same time that Germany stabbed me, which was the perfect storm of :ohdear: for France.

Juicy detail: I told Italy I was going into Piedmont, and it pretty much killed me. It was foolish of me to try that, because looking back on the maps Italy had held an army in Venice throughout the war as a safeguard against my potential aggression, so being the one to attempt to break the DMZ was really dumb. I was frustrated with my inability to crack the German nut & the lack of support I was finding (gee I wonder why) & figured if I could get an army around Piedmont into Tyrolia I could break through Germany with Russian "help" (i.e. they didn't want Germany retreating into their territory so they'd be holding the line, if not actively supporting French movements).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spring 1907

First off: Western Europe. As Italy repositions itself in a post-France world, Britain makes moves into Spain. Germany, meanwhile, has occupied Belgium.

United Kingdom
A Bel - Pic
F Bre - Gas
F Iri - Mid
F Lon - Eng
A Lvp - Wal
F Por - Spa south coast

Rome is secure, never having fallen to French forces. A-H moves into the Italian peninsula, and the Ottoman's move out.

Italy
F Aeg S Bul (support cut)
A Gal - Boh (failed)
F Gol - West
A Par - Bur
F Tyn - Rom
A Ven S Tyn - Rom

Italy's move to Burgundy threatens Germany. And with their unit in Galicia, they can either focus on Germany or distract Russia.

Austria-Hungary
A Bud S Tri - Ven
A Bul S Rum (support cut)
F Ion - Apu
A Rum S Bul (support cut; retreat--A Rum R Ser)
A Tri - Vie

Austria-Hungary loses ground in Romania to the combined Russian/Ottoman advance (their troops fall back to Serbia), but they reoccupy Vienna and are set to recapture it from Germany.

Germany
A Boh S Vie (support cut)
F Hol - Bel
F Kie H
A Mun - Tyr
A Vie S Mun - Tyr (support cut; retreat--nowhere to retreat to, unit is destroyed)

The Germany troops in Vienna, with no place to retreat to, are destroyed. Germany may be able to maintain its forces if it can keep Belgium.

Russia
F Bla S Ukr - Rum
F Den H
A Sev S Ukr - Rum
F Stp north coast H
A Swe S Den
A Ukr - Rum
A War - Ukr

Not much Russian movement this turn, aside from re-entering Romania. Warsaw is now a viable Italian target with their move, though. They will have to fall back to defend it if Russia makes a move.

Ottoman Empire
F Ank - Con (failed)
A Con - Bul (failed)
N Nap - Ion
F Smy - Aeg (failed)

The Ottoman Empire kind of stalled this turn. Things may change with Russia back in Romania.

League of Nations chat posted:

<United Kingdom> ALERT: It has come to our attention that rouge elements of the French army refugees settled in Wales have for some reason decided to return to France and Iberia. If you come across them, please exercise extreme caution. These soldiers are to be considered armed and French--repeat, armed and French.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 13, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(almost forgot League of Nations chat for this update and the last one! They are both edited to include that now).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What in the heck is the purpose of that one Russian boat way up at the top of the map? I'm assuming it can defend stp but there are no threats there

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ilmucche posted:

What in the heck is the purpose of that one Russian boat way up at the top of the map? I'm assuming it can defend stp but there are no threats there

It's much closer to the front than you think - it can go to Norway, then the North Sea in 2 moves.

Of course that's an obvious provocation towards Britain, so...

Also it's fun looking at the image of this past turn, because uh...things are going to escalate very quickly next update.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 14, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Italy appears to have overextended taking out France and England is more than happy to address the situation :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

It's much closer to the front than you think - it can go to Norway, then the North Sea in 2 moves.

Of course that's an obvious provocation towards Britain, so...

Also it's fun looking at the image of this past turn, because uh...things are going to escalate very quickly next update.

It's also two turns from Edinburgh which is equally dangerous.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fall 1907

To say the UK had a good turn this fall would be an understatement.

United Kingdom
F Eng C Wal - Bre
F Gas S Mid - Spa south coast
F Mid - Spa south coast
A Pic - Par
F Spa south coast - Mar
A Wal - Bre via convoy

+ F Edi
+ A Lon

Germany
F Bel H
A Boh - Mun (failed)
F Kie H
A Tyr - Vie (failed)

+ A Mun

Germany comes out of this turn relatively unscathed. Predictably, they lost Vienna, but took the Belgium SC. That said, Italy didn't burn their northern units, so Germany remains surrounded on several fronts.

Italy
F Aeg - Gre (failed)
A Bur - Mun (failed)
A Gal - Sil
F Rom - Nap
A Ven - Tyr (failed)
F Wes - Tun

- F Aeg
- F Tun

Losing the Iberian Peninsula has struck a blow to Italy. They burn their southern fleets, though, so while they are poised to keep up the pressure on Germany, their southern SCs are vulnerable to the Ottoman Empire.

Austria-Hungary
F Apu S Rom - Nap
A Bud S Vie
A Bul - Gre (failed--retreat: A Bul R Ser)
A Ser - Tri
A Vie H

A-H loses Romania, but reclaims Vienna. They also bounce Italy and Turkey out of Greece. Their forces are maintained.

Their Romanian army successfully retreats to Serbia.

Russia
F Bla S Rum
F Den H
A Rum S Con - Bul
A Sev S Rum
F Stp north coast H
A Swe S Den
A Ukr - War

+ A Mos

Russia keeps Warsaw and Romania, using the supplies to build another army in Moscow.

Ottoman Empire
F Ank - Con
A Con - Bul
F Ion - Gre (failed)
F Smy - Aeg (failed)

The Ottoman's maintain their strength. With Italy's withdrawal from the Mediterranean, they now have several opportunities to expand.

Hey, check out this graph:

There are now TWO potential super powers on the map. Insert Cold War jokes here!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Italy and Austria are best friends for life.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also two turns from Edinburgh which is equally dangerous.

Three, I hope?

England is going to be doing very well if it can keep its back clear, but Russia and Germany are going to use those fleets for something. The options are either each other or England, and Germany at least didn't look like they were aiming at Scandinavia next. Well, a turn happened while I was writing this and, uh, I guess they're not using those fleets for anything? Lots of people making boats and seemingly regretting it this game...

I was going to say that Italy is going to have a lot of trouble in the med unless they can get England and Turkey to have pressure on and ideally lose some of their home SCs. I think the right move last turn would be for Italy to try to drop Austria for Germany in return for pressure on England, but now they've let Turkey through the Bosporus, England through Gibraltar and disbanded two fleets in favor of the anti-German armies so I think that bridge is burnt and they're probably just doomed. Turkey and England will spit them and carve them up, then probably leave a couple fleets at a stalemate line and call it peace unless/until England decides to get greedy and start going for a solo.

E: Also, Turkey has been really lucky. They could've lost Constantinople both on this and the last turn, but they guessed well and AI guessed poorly so now they're on 4 SCs instead of 2 with the Mediterranean open.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, sorry! The game waits for no one and I fell behind on Saturday. We are now caught up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's possible the former enemies in The Great Game have teamed up to divvy up the continent while the Ottomans are along for the ride, presumably on Russia's behalf. Italy and A-H are an unbroken team still Germany is smack in the middle of it all.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I don't like to admit it but Germany has played a really solid game, at least in part because I don't think any of us saw "Make everyone else fight on multiple fronts & turtle where I started" as a gameplan.

Russia has also played extremely well, considering they've had the SC lead for two years and is the only power yet to lose an SC. They have Turkey and A-H fighting each other in the south, Italy & Germany in the west, and had Britain & I in the north. Meanwhile they've picked off SCs in Rumania, Denmark & the entirety of Scandinavia.

e: I'm glad I can say all this stuff in the open but I hate being out because this game rules.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I would like to change my power-of-friendship bet to Italy and Austria being eliminated on the same turn.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nah, Italy's gonna go out helping Austria because there's no coming back from where it's gonna end up next year.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I'm still not sure why the Italy Austria alliance didn't work out. Turkey was completely cornered before they decided to aggro both Russia and Germany.

Turkey and England are the main beneficiary of their actions. Those two can carve Italy up if alliances don't shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

I'm still not sure why the Italy Austria alliance didn't work out. Turkey was completely cornered before they decided to aggro both Russia and Germany.
Turkey and England are the main beneficiary of their actions. Those two can carve Italy up if alliances don't shift.

Austria being greedy? I'm not sure I see the point of capturing Apu when you're surrounded from all sides, but I suppose it depends on who they got to agree with not attacking them - and whether they will uphold it. If everyone else decides it's the time to finish off Italy, they were just a bit ahead.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 14, 2020