Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

do u believe in marigolds posted:

This is definitely spoiler territory but is there anything unique to steal from bosses? I haven't been able to steal from anything and I'm curious if it's worth it (particularly for one of a kind gear).

So far all the asterisk fights I've tried to steal from have told me that they have nothing to steal.

But on the other hand stealing from rare monsters on the overworld usually results in getting whatever they wind up dropping after battle so doubling up on that has been quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The steal rates in this game are abysmal so I wouldn't do it even if there was stuff to steal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really wish the premise was more interesting, at least at the start. I haven't played the other two Bravely games but I'd really like a classic JRPG which isn't about heroes of light being blessed by crystals and needing to find said crystals. In fact I propose a moratorium of crystals and crystal related paraphernalia in JRPGs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

I really wish the premise was more interesting, at least at the start. I haven't played the other two Bravely games but I'd really like a classic JRPG which isn't about heroes of light being blessed by crystals and needing to find said crystals. In fact I propose a moratorium of crystals and crystal related paraphernalia in JRPGs.

The crystals and warriors of light are an intentional homage to FF5 since that's where the bravely series draws basically all of its DNA from

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 2, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bravely default 1 did a good job subverting some of the seeking crystals tropes though it was a pretty slow burn to get there. I assume or maybe hope this game would be similar, though I'm awaiting story impressions from people who have finished the game before taking the plunge personally

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If nothing else it's going further in on climate change than FF5 and BD1 did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

Bravely default 1 did a good job subverting some of the seeking crystals tropes though it was a pretty slow burn to get there. I assume or maybe hope this game would be similar, though I'm awaiting story impressions from people who have finished the game before taking the plunge personally

what if the twist is that there is no twist since everyone is expecting a twist

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the bosses absolutely should not be doing counters in casual mode. It's supposed to be casual!!!

As far as I can tell the main difference in difficulty from normal is all the enemies are slower but that makes no difference in most encounters where the enemies are dead in one turn, or against bosses where the majority of their actions are counters!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The crystals and warriors of light are an intentional homage to FF5 since that's where the bravely series draws basically of its DNA from
yeah there's a pretty clear lineage with FF3 -> FF5 -> FF Four Heroes of Light -> Bravely

which is to say, Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy game

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

do u believe in marigolds posted:

This is definitely spoiler territory but is there anything unique to steal from bosses? I haven't been able to steal from anything and I'm curious if it's worth it (particularly for one of a kind gear).

I was looking at the boss list in the lore section and most asterisk bosses appear to have no stealables, with one notable exception (Savalon spoilers) Prince Castor. I don't know what the stealables are, but I noticed they had ????? under stealable instead of blanks like the rest. Very strange, makes me wonder if they will make a reappearance later in the game. Also possible it's because you don't actually have the Thief asterisk for prior bosses so they gave them nothing to steal.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Hot tip for those having issues with the Thief boss -

Captured minotaurs are amazing against him. He's weak to axes, it doesn't trigger a counter and with the bard attack buff+invigorate they did over 3k HP a pop. Pretty sure there's a guaranteed minotaur spawn right before the boss room for this very reason.

Also regarding that fight - countering some actions is fine but countering (boss mechanics spoiler) White Magic with a skill that heals him is incredibly frustrating design. I kind of get what they're going for but it could've been incredibly better signposted with a merchant right beforehand or something.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this is my first bravely game since gettin gabout halfway through the first one a while ago.

lots of great stuff so far but my favorite is every time I see some rando dressed like an anime character at the gathering of the juggalos egoing "oh neat i wonder what class that is"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ah, a rare enemy I might actually be able to defeat right now (early-to-mid chapter 1). Ah, it likes to spam Charm counters. :shepface:

Ah, Basuna doesn't cure Charm. :shepicide:

(I think I can just target them with melee attacks but considering it likes to interrupt heals with charms that just seems like a good way to get my party slowly killed)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Freelancers can cure charm.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm really curious what the developer intended strategy for some of these bosses was. For example, I kind of grinded through the Monk boss fight by using the Freelancer specialty to just power through the physical counters. Is that what the devs intended? Did they intend for players to switch to all Black Mages to nuke with magic? There's so few options early on, but it felt like a mid-game encounter. Even the first one with the White Mage and Vanguard, I felt I only won because I had a super busted NPC who could actually outdamage the heals, but maybe that was intended. :shrug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hello friends, I come to espouse the good word of MONKZERKER.

The Free-For-All passive is the funniest poo poo in gaming history. "okay yeah, while berserk you just spam random attack skills for free" sign my rear end UP.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Shingouryu posted:

Hot tip for those having issues with the Thief boss -

Captured minotaurs are amazing against him. He's weak to axes, it doesn't trigger a counter and with the bard attack buff+invigorate they did over 3k HP a pop. Pretty sure there's a guaranteed minotaur spawn right before the boss room for this very reason.

Also regarding that fight - countering some actions is fine but countering (boss mechanics spoiler) White Magic with a skill that heals him is incredibly frustrating design. I kind of get what they're going for but it could've been incredibly better signposted with a merchant right beforehand or something.

i like the baseline idea of counters and pushing the player to dig into the job system but just maybe the 4th or 5th boss of the game shouldn't have more moves and conditional abilities than most games have in their end/postgame bosses. I had a better time with the next couple of bosses I fought so I'm hoping it opens up once you have more options, as early on the boss encounters feels suffocating since a lot of your arsenal is locked down.

I like this game so far overall but it has a bunch of little issues and I'm hoping it sees a patch or two to clean them up. I do really like the beastmaster class, they made it pretty easy to hoover up a bunch of monsters if you've got a couple people with it slotted and being able to hoard an arks worth of bugs to unleash on some idiot is great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I'm really curious what the developer intended strategy for some of these bosses was. For example, I kind of grinded through the Monk boss fight by using the Freelancer specialty to just power through the physical counters. Is that what the devs intended? Did they intend for players to switch to all Black Mages to nuke with magic? There's so few options early on, but it felt like a mid-game encounter. Even the first one with the White Mage and Vanguard, I felt I only won because I had a super busted NPC who could actually outdamage the heals, but maybe that was intended. :shrug:

You could also use protect on your physical attackers to help with the counter damage. That, black magic, and a few attack items for good measure was how I handled it.

e: Also defang on Vanguard helped a bunch too.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Andrast posted:

The steal rates in this game are abysmal so I wouldn't do it even if there was stuff to steal

Chapter 3 town sells thieves gloves, which stack, and the rare steals on like a third or more of the monsters you meet are booster buns of one flavor or another. I kinda need to dial it back by now since I've been driving speed up by around 40 points on everyone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm 99% sure that steal rates are affected by relative level advantage.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I'm 99% sure that steal rates are affected by relative level advantage.

You could hit 100% if you leveled up a bit more.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Bravely Default 2 is not at all interested in avoiding JRPG tropes because it's much more about having characters who are gleefully playing up to those tropes, like the mentor who is just so loving jazzed to die holding off the final boss to save a new generation of protagonists or the princess who is so completely down with her destiny that she consents without waiting to be told what it is.

I also like that Seth appears to be incredibly ordinary. He's perfectly positioned so that they could have given him a mysterious backstory, but as far as I can tell so far they haven't bothered? He seems to have no idea where his home is and doesn't recognize anything on the map, but also seems to recognize common fish and doesn't have amnesia. It's actually kind of interesting that nobody is asking him where he is from, since he seems to know — they just aren't that interested! The dude is just full of super-special protagonist flags that the game decided to leave unflagged.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Caidin posted:

Chapter 3 town sells thieves gloves, which stack, and the rare steals on like a third or more of the monsters you meet are booster buns of one flavor or another. I kinda need to dial it back by now since I've been driving speed up by around 40 points on everyone.

I still say the Gambler ability which gives you a 40% rare drop rate if every member has it equipped is better for farming those.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

I think there's a special they gives 100 percent steal rate while it's up which is the only time I think I would bother with stealing until someone comes up with an inevitable (I hope) ultra broken stealing build/guide.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I've only played the final demo so far but sign me up on the "gently caress all of the counters" train.

My first encounter with it was on the zombie enemy in the sand ruins. "Hey, this guy looks like he has powerful physical attacks, so why not lower his physical attack a bit?" I think.

And then he responds to that by carving everyone's face in because of "Counter: Inflicted with Status Ailment".

Like... the counterplay is pretty obvious (buff your party instead of debuffing him) but that still feels really gross and lame (especially since at that point you only have Protect which is single target).

(related but apparently there's a passive on Phantom that lets you get an extra turn if you inflict a status ailment and if that doesn't work with debuffs despite this interaction i'm going to be mad. even if it would be completely stupid.)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I've had many boss fights playing on hard that I know I was doing wrong, but was able to find something that worked a little bit and slowly brute force my way through. The best two examples i've come across are

doing a boss the wrong way, the Shieldmaster. I had a really long fight where I went through 30 or so ethers and phoenix downs while looking for ways to combo the adds down individually before they could be healed. There were a lot of times where progress was basically reset, and I still don't know what the intended strat is for this fight. I did notice you can paralyze the boss, though.

and the right way, the Oracle. He counters almost everything you do by slowing, stopping, or using triple magic on whoever attacked. He even slows and stops defaulting units. He also has a ton of HP, and when he gets to the final 3rd he starts using aoe meteors for 2k party damage. If you load a shieldmaster with 2 shields and as much magic def as possible and just have them protect the party, it becomes pretty easy. Cast reraise on everyone and let them die so them come back in critical status so they get auto guarded.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kyrosiris posted:

preach it

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

and the right way, the Oracle. He counters almost everything you do by slowing, stopping, or using triple magic on whoever attacked. He even slows and stops defaulting units. He also has a ton of HP, and when he gets to the final 3rd he starts using aoe meteors for 2k party damage. If you load a shieldmaster with 2 shields and as much magic def as possible and just have them protect the party, it becomes pretty easy. Cast reraise on everyone and let them die so them come back in critical status so they get auto guarded.

How did the Shieldmaster deal with that 2K attack? I couldn’t get around that group wide attack so I just used had to knock out a third of his HP in the span of one characters turn so he never technically changed phases.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Caidin posted:

Getting stats that much higher seems like it would just ruin the game for me tbh

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Andrast posted:

Getting stats that much higher seems like it would just ruin the game for me tbh

I found the penultimate and final boss of chapter one to be so rude that I've decided to overcompensate by doping rather then simply lower the difficulty because I'm pretty broke brained. Kinda steamrolled chapter two, partially because thief is pretty strong in and of itself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

Undine only takes 40 damage from Thundara even though it's weak to it. Why? Dunno. It's not defaulting, it's just hovering about, so why?

Because magic seems to be woefully underpowered, at least early on. Maybe later classes have the level 4-5 elemental spells and poo poo like Flare and Ultima but getting -aga spells on a Black Mage and dealing less damage than a monk skill that can be easily spammed is annoying.

Kyrosiris posted:

Had to double check that I wasn't in an FF5 thread. Eh, close enough.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any essential abilities worth getting from the gambler job? I really don't want to keep dealing with this card game but I hate being locked out of another job right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in the Thief's dungeon and am I missing something. Enemies are running from me but if I get in a fight they all do like 400 damage per hit and come in waves of 6 units with more HP then I can reasonably handle. I admit I'm used to burning things down and moving on but this feels wrong that a random encounter can super drain my resources.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

^burtle posted:

preach it

Monkzerker update: hitting Berserker 12 and getting to spam free, 50% chance to actually come out Focal Blast/Level Strike rules like hell

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, they've gotta even the action economy out somewhat. Sure, Braving and Defaulting helps, and some bosses have ads, but once you clear those up it's still 4 dudes controlled by a smart human player vs one dude controlled by a not-as-smart AI

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PageMaster posted:

Are there any essential abilities worth getting from the gambler job? I really don't want to keep dealing with this card game but I hate being locked out of another job right now.

Yes. There's a passive that gives 10% rare drop rate increase. That's an additive 10%, and it stacks.

Note that you only need to play the card game something like 2-3 times in the gambling tent to get the job to unlock; you don't need to do a whole lot.

PageMaster posted:

I think there's a special they gives 100 percent steal rate while it's up which is the only time I think I would bother with stealing until someone comes up with an inevitable (I hope) ultra broken stealing build/guide.

What I've been doing is giving characters a combination of rare drop rate, basic attack hits all targets, basic attacks trigger steal, steal can get rare items, and stealing gets double items when grinding or running through basic dungeons. You end up with so much random crap, and even though the stealing success rates are a bit low (though I do have 2x thief gloves slotted if I can do so without getting splattered by counters), when you're hitting 5-6 enemies at once with 4 attacks per character, you steal quite a bit before the encounter is over.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because magic seems to be woefully underpowered, at least early on. Maybe later classes have the level 4-5 elemental spells and poo poo like Flare and Ultima but getting -aga spells on a Black Mage and dealing less damage than a monk skill that can be easily spammed is annoying.

Against normal mobs it's amazing, it cleaves through everything and makes my melee characters feel super weak!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is the boat mechanic determined by the amount of friends in your switch?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm trying this game out, does it matter what I class the characters into or are there characters who are specifically suited for certain Jobs and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My last boat expedition log had Seth apparently getting lost in a flower field for around six hours with nothing to show for it...