Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

eonwe posted:

I've never played the first Bravely Default, I guess it was on 3DS?

Am I missing much, or is this FF style where ever game is sorta self contained? Also...is this just made by FF people?

Also, Octopath Traveler is on sale 50% off. Now that the hype has died down, worth or no?

Well Bravely Second was a direct sequel to Bravely Default, it even shared 2/4 of the playable characters.

We have no idea yet how/if Bravely Default II is tied in story-wise but the plot for both previous games leaned a lot on dimension hopping bullshit so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

I've never played the first Bravely Default, I guess it was on 3DS?

Am I missing much, or is this FF style where ever game is sorta self contained? Also...is this just made by FF people?

Bravely Second was a direct sequel to Bravely Default (sort of like in a -2 Final Fantasy game, like FFX-2, way).

Bravely Default II appears to be a totally new world with a new cast, like a separate Final Fantasy games. This series so far has a way of getting kinda meta and doing dimension-hopping stuff so I wouldn't be surprised to see something return from Bravely Default/Second, but so far it looks like you could jump into this without missing anything since it's a whole new story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even Bravely Second didn't rely much on prior knowledge from its predecessor, but all the marketing about Bravely Default II has emphasized that it's a new world with new characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Default 1 had the best story but the gauntlet of later chapters was a turd and a half to get through.

The gameplay though....man, I haven't been hoist by own petard since FFT. You break the game, and the bosses break it right back at you. :)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So far my biggest complaint is that Default isn't on a shoulder button, but default is. Why do that? Also if you just jam on Brave and then choose Default for any of your turns you lose them all. That's really sloppy design.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm only getting started, but I have some reservations about the way information is presented to you in the equipment menus and all

the text for the tooltip when your cursor is on a piece of equipment is far too small and really packed together in a way that defeats easy reading, and then you can't see a character's full attributes until you actually select an item

in the same way, when you're on the Abilities screen, the only indication of whose abilities you're messing with is their name in small font in the bottom right corner, as well as a few pixels high picture of their head

there's lots of little steps back in this way. I'm still hype for it, the Bravely series was basically created in a lab to appeal to me, but this kind of throws me off

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shinjobi posted:

I think Default 1 had the best story but the gauntlet of later chapters was a turd and a half to get through.

Bravely Second would've had the superior story if the Ba'als actually mattered. :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, Elvis is gonna get me to play with the English voices for sure

Also Adele sounds a lot like Fran

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ethiser posted:

So far my biggest complaint is that Default isn't on a shoulder button, but default is. Why do that? Also if you just jam on Brave and then choose Default for any of your turns you lose them all. That's really sloppy design.

default and brave being the shoulder buttons was perfect design so yeah idk why they changed it either

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is BD2 good? BD1 on the 3ds had issues with the endgame dragging, and I heard a lot of complaints that BD2 was bad from a gameplay perspective

also heard chuds complaining about stuff, but I wrote that off because I don't give a gently caress about ~censorship~

e: oh wait, is this *not* a remake of BD2 for the 3ds and is a whole new game?

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 26, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bravely Second was better in every way imo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

tithin posted:

Is BD2 good? BD1 on the 3ds had issues with the endgame dragging, and I heard a lot of complaints that BD2 was bad from a gameplay perspective

also heard chuds complaining about stuff, but I wrote that off because I don't give a gently caress about ~censorship~

e: oh wait, is this *not* a remake of BD2 for the 3ds and is a whole new game?

that game wasn't BD2, but Bravely Second, and it was good

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Not being able to turn off enemy encounters is an enormous step back from the previous games, holy poo poo why

Having "chance of being targeted" as a stat that different gear has different amounts of, that's an interesting new mechanic

Edit: I'm assuming that the ability progression in the demo is not gonna be the same as in the full game, because it seems off for black mage to have no passive abilities at all, while learning the second ranks of each elemental spell after like 20 minutes and having nowhere near enough MP to use them regularly

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 27, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any idea if bravely second's story ties into bd2?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tithin posted:

Any idea if bravely second's story ties into bd2?

So far they have been explicit that Bravely Default 2 takes place in a new world with new characters. If there is any connection between Bravely Default 2 and Bravely Second, it's a twist that has not yet been spoiled.

That's the second time in as many pages this question has been asked, so it should probably go in the OP eventually.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

precision posted:

Bravely Second was better in every way imo

I loved BD but fizzled out real quick on bravely second

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

tithin posted:

Bravely Second's gameplay was literally just all of the improvements made from the original Bravely Default carried over.

If I have any complaints about Bravely Second, it's that the reused environments really sucked the life out of the game. One new city in every region and a few new dungeons doesn't make this world feel fresher. Also, the music was very hit or miss, except for the special character themes. Those were a HUGE miss and ruined the second final boss theme for me as a result. :argh:

Beyond that, I thought Second had a much better story, fun new jobs, good changes to old jobs (merging Conjurer's moveset with Summoner, for example), and handled the meta aspects better. It's a shame that Magnolia was an entirely superfluous character, though, whose existence was basically just "Yew's girlfriend" and nothing else.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Doesn't anyone else feel everything is too small? I barely notice some chests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Loving the demo so far, except for one thing:

The environments are gorgeous, but right now the focus/depth blur effect is causing me a bunch of eye strain, at least when I play on my TV. I haven't tried handheld mode yet. And the motion blur when sprinting makes it hard to see enemies and details in the ruins dungeon, too.

Otherwise I'm extremely looking forward to this. Oh, and the new job costumes are good as hell. I love the fuzzy White Mage hats, the beautiful Monk garb, the really over-the-top pimped-out Thief outfits, it's all so good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Same for me. One of the big issues I had is I felt like Bravely Second just wasn't balanced as well as Bravely Default. In BD1, I set the difficulty to Hard at the start and never felt the urge to change it--just rolled right along and had a great time. In Second, it felt like random battles were way too much of a slog on Hard, but bosses were a pushover on Normal, so I ended up constantly riding the difficulty slider. And while I appreciated that option, it just kinda took some of the fun out of it to have to micromanage that aspect of the game.

The non-Revo music didn't help, either.

It's kind of a shame because I thought a lot of the new jobs in Second seemed rad as hell and I wanted to play with them, but I just couldn't stick it out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh yeah, some of the random battles in Second were dicks in hindsight. I remember the forest outside of Sagitta wiping me out of nowhere.

glassyalabolas posted:

Doesn't anyone else feel everything is too small? I barely notice some chests.

I'm getting a real Ever Oasis vibe from this game's overworld presentation, but that game didn't have chests in the field as I recall. It's weird.

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
I haven't played Bravely in forever but is it just me or were you able to queue up your entire party's battle plan before taking any moves before? I'm pretty sure I remember being able to set up braves, defaults, and casting order before hitting a "go" button that would start the turn proper. In this demo it doesn't look like you get to strategize like that or at least I'm missing how to do it. That aside the environments and characters do look very nice and the game just generally kinda feels like home. Still getting used to the menus and information presentation is really wonky but it looks like it's all there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RunawayPantleg posted:

I haven't played Bravely in forever but is it just me or were you able to queue up your entire party's battle plan before taking any moves before?

Yes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You can't rotate the camera in the dungeon which means if you are running down it's almost impossible to avoid enemies.

I'm enjoying the demo, but there are lot of little things that make it seem like the game needs a little more time in the oven.

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe

That....feels like a significant change to the fundamental way the battle system plays out. I think you could also set up pre-arranged attack rotations for clearing out trash fights if you didn't want to turn off enemy encounters. No enemy slider combined with inability to do a pre-loaded attack rotation and on field enemies is going to make dungeon crawling a slog. Hoping this is still an early representation of the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RunawayPantleg posted:

That....feels like a significant change to the fundamental way the battle system plays out. I think you could also set up pre-arranged attack rotations for clearing out trash fights if you didn't want to turn off enemy encounters. No enemy slider combined with inability to do a pre-loaded attack rotation and on field enemies is going to make dungeon crawling a slog. Hoping this is still an early representation of the game

yeah, I realized at one point that I didn't have the advantage I was used to with the previous games because I couldn't manage the fight as easily by how much BP everyone had

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That sandworm owned the hell out of me. I thought I'd prepared so well and I couldn't even get it to half HP :negative:

Gonna have to rethink some builds, maybe give everyone Revenge or some poo poo so I have a chance of being less BP-starved.

RunawayPantleg posted:

No enemy slider combined with inability to do a pre-loaded attack rotation and on field enemies is going to make dungeon crawling a slog. Hoping this is still an early representation of the game

I'm definitely hoping the enemy slider shows up in the final version. Maybe it could be an "enemy density" or "enemy respawn frequency" slider since the encounters aren't random anymore, obviously with the option to turn them off entirely.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The wasps in the ruins need to loving cool it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

That's the second time in as many pages this question has been asked, so it should probably go in the OP eventually.
It's the first thing mentioned after the image at the top :saddowns:

But sure I'll clarify it more throughout

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The demo specifically said the battles were overtuned for this, so I'm going to ignore that.

In general, my overall feeling about the game so far is that it's extremely conservative. The classes they've shown are as vanilla as it gets, the location of the demo is a desert town, just like the original BD demo, and they even seem to be trying to recreate the BD party dynamic almost exactly,. I can't tell if this is just them playing it as safe as possible or trying to mess with my expectations though. The latter seems pretty possible given the series, at least, but what they've actually shown us isn't particularly exciting on its own.

Also, yeah, the UI seemed a bit awkward, both in combat and on the menu.

Edit: To clarify, I'm still extremely excited for the game, if only for the job costumes, but the fact that they haven't shown off anything really cool or different is worrying.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 27, 2020

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm not a fan of the menu, and I don't like having to hold + to read my ability descriptions in a game where I am probably going to be doing that a lot. I'm not really sold on the character models, and seeing them in the job menu reminds me of bad 3ds graphics. But I am a huge fan of white mage costume design being snow outfit themed. 10/10 for that alone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Same, but then a few years later I went back to it and loved it. Not jumping into it right after BD makes a huge difference just because the dungeon retreads aren't near as painful, and without that issue it was really excellent.

Anyway, I really hope this game turns out good. I'm excited for some confusing meta nonsense and a fun easily broken JRPG. Really hope that once we get past the traditional rpg jobs it's not a full retread of the BD ones though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Liking this demo so far but goddamn this motion blur is making my eyes hurt.

Also the monsters in the ruins hit like trains.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm making a list of the complaints I want to include when they send out the survey:

• The characters shouldn't talk over each other so much in battle, and definitely shouldn't talk over themselves
  • A turn order forecast would be really nice
  • You should have to hold the button to flee, not just tap it, so it's harder to do on accident
  • The small minimap is too small (can't see unexplored areas on it) and the large minimap is too large (covers up the screen)
  • I can't tell what hitting an encounter with my sword even does

It's hitting all the right notes so far, though.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The characters and enemies look so good I'm really impressed with them.

The UI is kind of inelegant, both in the pause menu and battle compared to BS. Like some of the info isn't where I would want it and have to back out to look at a different menu and tooltips covering up stuff I should be able to see. The UI and controls to do with Brave/Default in the battles are overly simple, it's a huge part of the system and deserves good presentation like it had in BD1 and BS. I like the way the turns play out now, but I think it has to come with at least some indicator for whose turn is up next. The camera cuts make it impossible to tell which one out of a group of similar enemies just acted so strategizing is difficult.

Very excited about this.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

• I can't tell what hitting an encounter with my sword even does

Seems to start everyone off with a brave point.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Seems to start everyone off with a brave point.

It seems to only do that if you hit them from behind. From the front it seems to make it so the enemy doesn't occasionally start with a BP.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jesus christ the beginning of this demo's difficulty is rough, also seems like you level up jobs really fast in this demo, getting to level 7 (in BD it was ten) takes normally a lot longer.

So far here are my complaints with the demo (haven't finished it):

• Enemies are too aggressive. I guess the game is set to Hard from the get-go, but it's not exactly the high damage that bothers me, it's how far away they see you and how fast they run and how long they chase you for.
  • rotating the camera is nigh useless because it doesn't rotate much if there is stuff in the way, and there's a lot of verticality in the maps, which means you're going to get ambushed by enemies, a lot.
  • Where the gently caress am I on the overworld? I can see the minimap, but I have no idea where I am because I can't find a large map anywhere.
  • Pressing L should default like in the 3DS game, because pressing R to brave is the same.....but as far as I can tell L/ZL aren't used for anything in combat.
  • There is a turn order....with no turn order forecast? This seems curiously omitted since pretty much all RPGs with a turn order have a turn order forecast.
  • It gets easier once you get better equipment, of course, but man that start is rough, especially with the stuff already mentioned
  • Can't skip past non-voiced text by NPCs on the map, and of course by default it's slow as sin. Even on fast it's still a little too slow, I can read it faster than I can dismiss the bubble.
  • transition between outside of a building and going into the doors is a little too fast? It's slightly disorienting.
  • Having to hold + to show what each skill does is real stinking annoying
  • No way to tell more info about what a skill does while already in combat. You learned a new skill that isn't Cure->Cura->Curaga! Lets just check my men- oh I got ambushed, again. WELP
  • OK, so this game gave me a helpful tip, I remember something about it, let me just refer to the glossary that holds the player tips...oh wait, there isn't one.
  • Cutting grass seems interesting, you cut some grass down and sometimes there is a hidden item in it. Except cutting grass is the most unfun thing on the planet in this game. If it was more like cutting grass in Zelda games, I'd be on board, but what grass it cuts seems clunky and it doesn't also cut the tile you're on, just the tile in front of you, so if you run into a big patch of grass, have fun spending five minutes clearing it hoping you'll get something. Also you can cut down big bushes, but not trees so it's further unclear as to what counts as cutable.
  • Night day cycle moves too fast

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

These loving wolves are on steroids. They warped to your face.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would guess that you don't learn spells by leveling up jobs in the real game, that'd be a huge step back from the previous games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

• Pressing L should default like in the 3DS game, because pressing R to brave is the same.....but as far as I can tell L/ZL aren't used for anything in combat.
  • No way to tell more info about what a skill does while already in combat. You learned a new skill that isn't Cure->Cura->Curaga! Lets just check my men- oh I got ambushed, again. WELP
Pressing L after you have Braves ready will cancel them without you having to go back into the main combat menu and pressing B.
And pressing Y in combat will tell you what a skill does.