Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

Pressing L after you have Braves ready will cancel them without you having to go back into the main combat menu and pressing B.
And pressing Y in combat will tell you what a skill does.

Thank you! That wasn't obvious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think you use like three different buttons to read descriptions for stuff depending on what menu you're in, it's pretty silly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm glad to see this. Also town doors are nice.

Interface sucks though. Like how Y brings up a tooltip, but they don't use the same thing for abilities. Hold instead of toggle and the tip obscuring your entire screen is especially obnoxious.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 27, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bongo Bill posted:

[*]The characters shouldn't talk over each other so much in battle, and definitely shouldn't talk over themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quz4qINJJQ

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:laffo: the over aggressive mobs are one thing but these guys are respawning right after you kill them

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I felt so good when I beat one of those rear end in a top hat wasps on top of the cliff and grabbed the treasure behind 'em but then when I turned around to leave it was back again. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope there's a way to control how many enemies are around and/or how quickly they respawn in the full game. Not having any way to control the encounter rate--even if it isn't truly random anymore--would be a big step back.

They also really need to standardize what buttons do in the UI. There shouldn't be different buttons for "show me more details about this thing" depending on what menu you're in, for example.

I'd love a turn order forecast but there are also plenty of games with turn order that don't include a forecast, so it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't one in the full game. I hope there is, though.

Really my biggest thing is that I really hope they tone down the motion blur and probably also the depth of field blurring in the towns. I was getting some pretty bad eye strain playing the demo and that usually isn't a problem for me.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Elvis is always after me Lucky Charms.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Finished the boss.

By the end the mobs weren’t a problem because I pretty much over levelled them, and I had to restart the boss because I had one party member with a super less than ideal setup who became dead weight. I had Seth (I think that’s the main guy?) as a monk at the end and he was doing 800-1000 damage on the wasps and snakes, and 500-800 on boss. I just had someone constantly provoke him so they would take brunt of damage and then I went to town. Wasn’t too hard and was pretty fun.

I still think how the enemies bum rush you and their respawn rates are way too high, and I’d also like it to be a little more clearer who you are targeting in battle. It’s just a little faint outline and sometimes I healed the wrong person. Why not just have an obvious cursor?

Overall though it’s a solid game and I loved the combat so I’ll pick it up. I liked the first BD but I don’t play on handhelds super often so the Switch has been heaven. Play on handheld when needed, TV most of the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i haven't finished it yet, but after about an hour that was a thoroughly unpleasant demo. it's really hard to enjoy combat when it's just a cacophony of layered voice clips, and struggling with the interface meant i never wanted to open a menu. really hoping that they take the feedback to heart. i can tell there's something great in there but i really felt like i was struggling to find the fun.

also i like overworld encounters but it feels meaningless when you can't really interact with that mechanic at all. dodging some enemies may actually be impossible, and the sword swing doesn't give the good lizardbrain feels that those sorts of mechanics are supposed to give since most of the time you're only using it to negate a charging enemy's own advantage rather than getting one for yourself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I assume they're gonna change and improve a lot because right now it largely feels like a step backward from Octopath, which is insanely friendly and easy to use with a very clean interface

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Countblanc posted:

it's really hard to enjoy combat when it's just a cacophony of layered voice clips, and struggling with the interface meant i never wanted to open a menu. really hoping that they take the feedback to heart.

I struggle to understand the mindset behind that and why it's so common.

You know the player is going to take an action literally thousands of times over the course of a game. Either make the sound effect completely unobtrusive (jumping in a platformer), or only have it trigger a small percentage of the time.

They'll still hear it plenty but it'll be a treat and a surprise versus something one has to actively try to tune out.

That apparently steps on itself.

(Still looking forward to the demo.)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty sure you had to unlock the encounter rate control thing in Second, it was pretty early but I remember thinking it was weird they removed such a useful tool and then it came back. Hopefully BD2 will have it again even with the on map encounter thing. It was super useful for the meta loop thing where you really didn't need to fight the garbage creature in the dungeon for the third time through.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I struggle to understand the mindset behind that and why it's so common.

You know the player is going to take an action literally thousands of times over the course of a game. Either make the sound effect completely unobtrusive (jumping in a platformer), or only have it trigger a small percentage of the time.

They'll still hear it plenty but it'll be a treat and a surprise versus something one has to actively try to tune out.

See also: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I wanted some voices in battle but holy poo poo they just never shut up and the only other option is to turn battle voices off completely. Here's hoping BD2 just tones it down some.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it's secretly octopath traveler 2. it's doomed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i haven't finished it yet, but after about an hour that was a thoroughly unpleasant demo. it's really hard to enjoy combat when it's just a cacophony of layered voice clips, and struggling with the interface meant i never wanted to open a menu. really hoping that they take the feedback to heart. i can tell there's something great in there but i really felt like i was struggling to find the fun.

also i like overworld encounters but it feels meaningless when you can't really interact with that mechanic at all. dodging some enemies may actually be impossible, and the sword swing doesn't give the good lizardbrain feels that those sorts of mechanics are supposed to give since most of the time you're only using it to negate a charging enemy's own advantage rather than getting one for yourself.

I think I had more fun with it than you did but I agree with all your complaints.

I'm hoping that the interface goes through a lot of changes, especially. There are just some baffling UX decisions going on there, like having different buttons for "show me more details" in different menus. And the one when you're looking at job abilities is the plus button, and they make you hold it down? What?

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about game development to know just how much of a "rough draft" I should expect this to be, especially when the release date is still just "some time in 2020," but I definitely hope there are a lot of UI changes that come between now and release, not to mention things like enemy encounter rate adjustments and stuff like that.

I also really hope some of the later jobs take some weirder spins. One of the things I liked about Bravely Second is that the earliest jobs they give you are some of the new and exciting ones like Wizard and Astrologian, and that game has some really rad and wild jobs. This standard Final Fantasy jobs were still there but they made sure to emphasize the new ones earlier on. I'm hoping we see some more unique jobs as the game opens up.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Debuffs need to last longer. In the wood golem fight I would use the mag defense debuff attack with Adelle and its 2 turns would be over by the time Gloria's turn rolled around sometimes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I would guess that you don't learn spells by leveling up jobs in the real game, that'd be a huge step back from the previous games

Even in the previous games it was inconsistent between classes. You bought the "basic" spells in the shop while the more advanced magic classes learned spells from job levels. Personally I don't mind it either way, but they definitely need to add more interesting skills to White and Black Mage if it's going to continue like this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EthanSteele posted:

I'm pretty sure you had to unlock the encounter rate control thing in Second, it was pretty early but I remember thinking it was weird they removed such a useful tool and then it came back.

Slight Bravely Second spoilers but yeah, you don't unlock the encounter slider until Tiz joins your party after a few hours, it's explicitly a power only he has and you get an amusing cutscene where they give it an in game explanation that Tiz is basically a Jedi and uses the mind trick to make enemies think nobody is there.

Anyway I've already mastered the first set of jobs I gave everyone, I'm about level 15, I have the best gear you can get in the shop, and random encounters are still kicking the poo poo out of me. Count me in with the people confused that L doesn't Default, and that they changed things up from giving all the inputs at the start of battle to a turn by turn system feels bad.

Other than that the game seems fine, just this is a really disappointing demo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Just brave and punch everything to death.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think the biggest issue for me is the UI.
The way you display skill info is dumb when it feels like you could totally show the skill info on the same page without needing to hold the + button.
Also why choose the + button in it's incredibly awkward place and have it be a hold instead of a toggle.

The mini tooltip on equipment is too cluttered with the new stats and all.
Sometimes when you equip a character they do a little attack animation. For some reason you can't change between characters while this animation plays and it's annoying when juggling equipment.

Default might not be on the shoulder button to prevent misclicking it since it's instant and each turn is separate instead of preparing for a round.

Some enemies are really quick and I didn't realize B was your run button resulting in a lot of unnecessary fights.

It really needs a turn forecast for it's combat and to reduce the amount of battle quotes.

Not a fan of black mage just getting active abilities.

Undocked mode seems to be fine but docked has a lot of really weird blur effects that honestly strain my eyes a bit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Slight Bravely Second spoilers but yeah, you don't unlock the encounter slider until Tiz joins your party after a few hours, it's explicitly a power only he has and you get an amusing cutscene where they give it an in game explanation that Tiz is basically a Jedi and uses the mind trick to make enemies think nobody is there.

Sapp and Piddler were the best characters and it sucks that they disappeared entirely from the game with no fanfare after Chapter 3.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Is there no way to change character order in this? They can't possibly make you have your overworld character forced to be generic mc dudeface, it's a standard in these games to let you pick your favourite of the four to walk around!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ledgem posted:

Is there no way to change character order in this? They can't possibly make you have your overworld character forced to be generic mc dudeface, it's a standard in these games to let you pick your favourite of the four to walk around!

this is my #1 complaint

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about game development to know just how much of a "rough draft" I should expect this to be, especially when the release date is still just "some time in 2020," but I definitely hope there are a lot of UI changes that come between now and release, not to mention things like enemy encounter rate adjustments and stuff like that.

I'm enough of a game and software developer to to comment. If you've got graphics for it which aren't actively repellant, it's supposed to be final. Not just in form but in design -- you greybox these things after you've thought them through on paper. Only then do you make something presentable.

Stuff that made it to a public facing demo is supposed to be final. Someone actively designed it that way. Or, as is more commonly the case, one-or-more someones didn't really design it in advance, they just did a thing.

Fortunately there's a chance for them to get enough pressure to redo it. Though Japanese development studios are disproportionately resistant to what we'd consider modern design sensibilities -- remapping buttons and all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Golden Goat posted:

It really needs a turn forecast for it's combat

Okay, yeah, I got to the boss of the ruins, and not knowing when characters are going to take their turns is super frustrating, because it turns what should be a strategic battle into guessing and hoping you luck out sometimes he Defaults once, but other times it's twice, and not knowing which it is to figure out whether to provoke or Default is irritating.

That said, I'm still having fun working with class combos. Seth is currently a white mage with a monk subjob, since White Mage is only a loss of 10 attack power and Bare Knuckle Brawler passive means that combined with White Mage's MP restoration on attack, he's gaining almost 40 MP every time he attacks, so it's easy to keep him topped off. Black Mage seems like it really wants that 20% less MP passive from White Mage, and everyone enjoys the 25% chance to gain a BP when they're attacked from Monk, but especially Vanguard since it can Provoke.

And 16 seems to be the magic number for the first part of the game, since as soon as I hit that enemies started running away from me and even the wasps became no big deal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't like what I'm hearing here. I really want this game to be good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I don't like what I'm hearing here. I really want this game to be good.
I wouldn't worry yet. I haven't read anything in here yet that is a deal breaker, or even more likely, something that can't be fixed before the formal launch. It's also missing stuff that are Bravely staples so I would expect to see them return for the proper game.

This is just an overtuned demo for feedback. IIRC both Octopath and Daemon X Machina improved between their feedback demos and actual games, although I never played either. I have faith in the team that this one will be as good as the first two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So how hard are enemies in the demo compared to Geist in the Bravely Second demo? Because it sounds like everything that isn't a goblin is on that level.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Harrow posted:

That sandworm owned the hell out of me. I thought I'd prepared so well and I couldn't even get it to half HP :negative:

I'm having troubles with this guy too. Anyone beat him yet? If so, any tips?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

General consensus seems to be that the biggest single issue in the demo is the buttons used in the UI, and that's absolutely something that it's not too late to fix.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I'm having troubles with this guy too. Anyone beat him yet? If so, any tips?

I'm still trying to figure out the right balance of offense and defense to fight him normally, but honestly it feels like the safest strat might be to run four vanguards, one with a black mage sub and the rest subbing white mage, get poison to stick, and then just sandbag until the worm dies. Obviously this would be incredibly unfun, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That's how I beat the ruins boss. It was so boring I didn't bother looking for more content. Is it just me or did they give you a really unsynergistic set of jobs?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How much character and story stuff is there in the demo so far?
I really liked the game play of BD1 but I felt the characters were pretty one-note and the story made a valiant effort at being good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

How much character and story stuff is there in the demo so far?
I really liked the game play of BD1 but I felt the characters were pretty one-note and the story made a valiant effort at being good.
Basically none. Like, the characters talk, but I imagine that just like the BD1 and BS demos, it's not content that will be in the actual release.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's how I beat the ruins boss. It was so boring I didn't bother looking for more content. Is it just me or did they give you a really unsynergistic set of jobs?

It's just the first six jobs of Default, which was disappointing. I was expecting them to show off some newer ones.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the right balance of offense and defense to fight him normally, but honestly it feels like the safest strat might be to run four vanguards, one with a black mage sub and the rest subbing white mage, get poison to stick, and then just sandbag until the worm dies. Obviously this would be incredibly unfun, though.

For both the tough guys I had Gloria with black mage / thief so she could steal some magic attack and everyone else holding poo poo together and feeding her mp and bp and throwing some debuffs on the enemy. Worm guy very often decided to kill main guy, but cramming shields on everyone made it so the multi target attacks were manageable. Ice spell 2 was doing almost 4k iirc (maybe 3k? can't remember) with the debuffs lined up to the worm, the golem took more like 2.8k from fire. I couldn't get physical attacks to do anything comprable to that, I saw 1.5k from the thief skill that costs 2 bp.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Sapp and Piddler were the best characters and it sucks that they disappeared entirely from the game with no fanfare after Chapter 3.

All of the music in Second is good, but even the Jpop vs Enka fight is second to Sapp and Piddler's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mRvrdjPuQ

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

All of the music in Second is good, but even the Jpop vs Enka fight is second to Sapp and Piddler's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mRvrdjPuQ

I hope we get a Bravely Second LP from Greyarc. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for those screenshots, I thought I was crazy remembering Second having a more consistent artstyle. I loved the first two games and this demo just killed the hype for me. Feels more like a fangame or an Unreal Engine test project (how can walking on giant sprites stutter so much?), hope it gets waaay more time in the oven, battles are clearly using a placeholder UI (...I hope? Those are some Witcher 1 looking buttons) and the default UE postprocessing