Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I dunno I just want some more going on with dungeons then it just being a pretty straight run to the boss in a really dull background (The ruins in the demo did not look great).

Yeah, that's where I am. I love JRPG dungeons, but I need a good dungeon to be interesting to explore. So far nothing I've seen from the Bravely/Octopath team really meets that criterion besides maybe the final dungeon in Bravely Default, which only liked because it had a really cool backdrop.

IMO if the best thing about a dungeon is that it doesn't get in the way then I'm not sure why there's a dungeon at all.

To be clear I loving loved Bravely Default, even the second half, but the dungeons still just felt like boring time-wasting hallways.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is what loving annoyed me. Therion was in my group quite a bit, but I still didn't want to backtrack every dungeon just to get those dumb things.

Octopath was great, but it had some dumb design choices. Therion is guilty of two. Those chests sucked, but so did his save-scummable steals in town.

Therion is also guilty of a third: having an entire story arc about being a loner who needs to learn to trust people in a party-based game where his party disappears whenever his story starts.

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
I understand why they went more detailed on the character models now that they're developing on the Switch but I really do miss the chibis from the first 2 games. I imagine they tried it with the old painted-on faces without lips and noses in this engine and it probably looked out of place unfortunately. I feel like the character art direction was more cohesive in the previous ones. Ultimately I don't think it'll bother me that much because the job outfits are really great but man I just *clenches fist* really like the models in the previous games

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Got to the demo now. Haven't gotten far outside of the introductory area, but I'm generally liking what I've seen so far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

New Survey is up, check your emails. Same questions before but without the text limit so I just dumped my laundry list of problems into it so I suggest you do the same.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So I finished the demo and the optional boss. I didn't have much trouble with it and enjoyed it except for the art style, I hate how the characters look.

My question, I've never played the other ones: Does strategy in these games end up devolving into needing to make a specific strategy to cheese some bosses? Like to beat the sandworm I had to spam bp steal and then do a bunch brave a bunch of magic defense reducing abilities and then a bunch of blizzard. But that was honestly pretty tedious and not that fun compared to the more improvisational combat I was doing for the other boss and regular encounters

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So I finished the demo and the optional boss. I didn't have much trouble with it and enjoyed it except for the art style, I hate how the characters look.

My question, I've never played the other ones: Does strategy in these games end up devolving into needing to make a specific strategy to cheese some bosses? Like to beat the sandworm I had to spam bp steal and then do a bunch brave a bunch of magic defense reducing abilities and then a bunch of blizzard. But that was honestly pretty tedious and not that fun compared to the more improvisational combat I was doing for the other boss and regular encounters

they've said that the combat difficulty in the demo is a little overtuned, but a lot of the fun in these games comes from finding ways to break them over your knee with specific job and ability combinations. for example, in the previous games you could give everyone in your party a passive that would give them bp whenever they were hit with a status effect, then have one character dedicated to spamming status spells on the party to generate a ton of bp every turn for the rest of the party to spam. it isn't usually necessary until late/postgame though.

but yeah if that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you then you might wanna pass on this one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inflammatory posted:

they've said that the combat difficulty in the demo is a little overtuned, but a lot of the fun in these games comes from finding ways to break them over your knee with specific job and ability combinations. for example, in the previous games you could give everyone in your party a passive that would give them bp whenever they were hit with a status effect, then have one character dedicated to spamming status spells on the party to generate a ton of bp every turn for the rest of the party to spam. it isn't usually necessary until late/postgame though.

but yeah if that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you then you might wanna pass on this one.
yeah I think the base game(s) have been very good at letting you do whatever strategy you feel like, just kinda mixing and matching and trying new things. Half the fun is trying to come up with your own stupid synergies and strategies, maybe you find something you really like aesthetically, maybe you find some really gamebreaking combo :pram:

then you get to the optional superbosses and at that point the game doesn't just allow you to break the game, it fully expects you to if you wanna have any chance of winning. It also owns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's not really any interesting synergy between the jobs or abilities here, or really interesting abilities overall. Like, there is some, like how vanguards get a crit ability for monks to use and white mages get an ability to reduce MP costs, but where's my Spellcrafting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any chance they will change the characters to have normally proportioned heads and faces if they get enough feedback in their survey? I actually like the look of the monsters

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, even then it's still not the same as the "one true strategy" situation at the end of this demo, because you have a much bigger toolbox to work with and there are like half a dozen completely different ways you can break the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the only neat synergy I found is using the white mage to brave spamming bp thief and wanking the enemy at the last minute to heal back all of the MP.

Doesn't work for the tree boss tho

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m wondering if they hastily threw this demo together because of COVID-19, because I echo all of the sentiments about the bad UI, no Default button, no turn order forecast, overly aggressive enemies, lovely overworld camera, etc. it’s rough. I’m gonna put as much detail as possible into the survey, hopefully they listen. I think I recall they took a lot of stuff from the surveys into consideration for Octopath Traveler.

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there any chance they will change the characters to have normally proportioned heads and faces if they get enough feedback in their survey? I actually like the look of the monsters

Unlikely, the chibi style is pretty much the Bravely series trademark. I think it just looks a little out of place now on a major HD console release compared to the 3DS games where it looked more at home on a handheld that didn't have HD rendering.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RunawayPantleg posted:

Unlikely, the chibi style is pretty much the Bravely series trademark. I think it just looks a little out of place now on a major HD console release compared to the 3DS games where it looked more at home on a handheld that didn't have HD rendering.

honestly I think the reason it looks a bit uncanny is because of the noses and lips, plus the skin shader being kinda bad. In the other games they were pretty featureless (more in line with the artwork) and had a very matte shading, which worked a lot better imo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also they're using a lot of very UNREAL 4 shaders and effects that really stand out. Like the ridiculous shine on the Vanguard armor. Maybe tone some of those down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I actually like that there isn't a dedicated Default button. With the change to the battle system, being able to instantly end a character's turn with a single button press is bad UI because there's no way to undo it if you press it accidentally.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I actually like that there isn't a dedicated Default button. With the change to the battle system, being able to instantly end a character's turn with a single button press is bad UI because there's no way to undo it if you press it accidentally.

This is true and almost certainly the reason it was removed. The problem is that, primarily due to other UI issues, those battle system changes have yet to justify their own existence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The previous Bravely games gave the player a lot of control over battles--the difficulty, frequency, and the flow of each actual fight--and we're all about being challenging even with the player so empowered. I loved that about the original: I could use the job system to attempt to break the game in half and the game would push back just as hard in a way that felt fair and fun. That's why I hope they either add a turn forecast or go back to the "enter your commands for the team all at once" style of the previous games. The way combat flows in the demo just doesn't feel right for the kind of strategies Bravely games (including the demo) seem to want you to use.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The previous Bravely games gave the player a lot of control over battles--the difficulty, frequency, and the flow of each actual fight--and we're all about being challenging even with the player so empowered. I loved that about the original: I could use the job system to attempt to break the game in half and the game would push back just as hard in a way that felt fair and fun. That's why I hope they either add a turn forecast or go back to the "enter your commands for the team all at once" style of the previous games. The way combat flows in the demo just doesn't feel right for the kind of strategies Bravely games (including the demo) seem to want you to use.

yeah this is my biggest complaint for sure and what I tried to convey in the survey. It feels like a huge step back because it takes one of the biggest strategic things in the previous games (who does what, and in what order) and just kinda... throws it out. I will echo the sentiment that it feels like a pretty early demo though so with any hope that's the kind of thing they'll have a chance at changing before launch :pray:

e: also the loss of those QOL features was probably my biggest complaint about Octopath Traveler too. It's hard to go back to a JRPG with no QOL after playing Bravely, where you could not only adjust encounter rate, you could straight up turn off encounters. Or turn them way up. Or disable exp gain. Or disable gold gain. Just, gently caress it, do whatever you want. Play however you want. It was so incredibly good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

e: also the loss of those QOL features was probably my biggest complaint about Octopath Traveler too. It's hard to go back to a JRPG with no QOL after playing Bravely, where you could not only adjust encounter rate, you could straight up turn off encounters. Or turn them way up. Or disable exp gain. Or disable gold gain. Just, gently caress it, do whatever you want. Play however you want. It was so incredibly good.

Yeah and honestly it'd be insane to me if they released a Bravely game without those options after Bravely Default and Second had them and did so well with them. With the non-random encounters they'd probably need to have more of an "enemy density" slider than an encounter rate one but that'd still work and be a huge help.

I loved that I could crank up the encounter rate and turn off EXP gain if I ever just wanted to grind out JP, that was awesome.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't realize the survey was out. I never got it.

Never got the Octopath survey for that matter. I got the Daemon X Machina survey

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked visible enemies

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Your Computer posted:

Hot take: it was good because Bravely Default was pretty poorly finely tuned (and the dungeons sucked).

A better game wouldn't need those options.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 4, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just turn off encounters and get all your levels and JP from bosses. Random battles have always been a waste of time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Finally getting around to digging into this and I think I agree with most of the complaints and praise so far.

I like how it looks and feels, it's very much a new Bravely game, so it was comfortable right off the bat. That's a good thing, although I haven't gotten too far yet.

I could feel the overtuning from the beginning though. The first few battles took way too long. It got easier once I unlocked the Monk lv3 ability and the full set of black magic to hit the weakpoints, but so far that has only trivialized the goblins and wolves while the hornets, for example, stay absurdly overpowered. Still working on upgrading my gear and leveling up though so maybe I'll get what I need to make them manageable too. I don't know if it needed to be tuned this high to be interesting, I think the bosses will do that well enough on their own, but I don't hate having to work for the wins. It would've been perfect if they'd given us that essential ability to adjust the encounter rate.

The biggest complaint is definitely the altered battle system. I don't know why they would change turn order that way. It took me over an hour to stop being surprised when I input an action and it immediately happened instead of moving on to to the next unit. It also makes auto-ing battles for grinding take far longer which is annoying since you have to grind to stand a chance against anything but goblins.

Hopefully they'll take some of the feedback into account for the final release, or there will be mechanics in the full game that take advantage of the altered style. I'm still super excited to play through it regardless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Hot take: it was good because Bravely Default was pretty poorly finely tuned (and the dungeons sucked).

A better game wouldn't need those options.

People like different things so yes it would.

Also sometimes I just want to go back to a place to see if I missed something or like try some weird build without overleveling the current area I'm in

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://youtu.be/fO50YB_cjXU

They listened to our feedback, here’s the result.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Looks like the release date has been pushed back to Feb 2021 instead of "2020"?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Catastrophe90 posted:

Looks like the release date has been pushed back to Feb 2021 instead of "2020"?

yep, it was announced during the mini direct yesterday.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
They didn't let you choose who's in front on over world and rearrange the party like that, which combined with the "like active time battle' bars is a no-sell for me.

I've got too many games anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The pseudo-ATB meter is a weird choice for displaying turn order in a non-ATB game when they could've just had an FFX-style turn order display, but I can sorta see what they're saying about giving the player too much knowledge about when enemy turns are coming potentially making the brave/default system too powerful.

I'm still a little confused as to why they didn't stick with the system from Bravely Default and Second, where you input all the commands for your side at once and then the whole round plays out, but :shrug: if they're gonna do it this way, then this is definitely an improvement over the demo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Some of my UI feedback comments made it into the video :eyepop:

Then again, I did send them like a thousand words lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Harrow posted:

The pseudo-ATB meter is a weird choice for displaying turn order in a non-ATB game when they could've just had an FFX-style turn order display, but I can sorta see what they're saying about giving the player too much knowledge about when enemy turns are coming potentially making the brave/default system too powerful.

I'm still a little confused as to why they didn't stick with the system from Bravely Default and Second, where you input all the commands for your side at once and then the whole round plays out, but :shrug: if they're gonna do it this way, then this is definitely an improvement over the demo.

Yeah, wonder why they chose individual queuing over round queuing for BD2, but by the time the demo came out, the balance of the mechanics and full game was likely too set in stone to really change it back to round queuing. A turn order indicator is probably the best they could really do at this point. Glad they implemented that at least.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as long as they fixed the weird menu design, I'm happy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, wonder why they chose individual queuing over round queuing for BD2, but by the time the demo came out, the balance of the mechanics and full game was likely too set in stone to really change it back to round queuing. A turn order indicator is probably the best they could really do at this point. Glad they implemented that at least.

I'm more confused about why they want to keep the turn order hidden, even if the protags have atb bars now. Other rpgs with similar turn systems like FFX or the Trails games are really transparent about the turn order and who is coming up next but even with the changes they only show that the enemy's turn is coming up right before they attack. The Director talked about wanting to keep some information hidden for difficulty and to keep things exciting or whatever but it's a strange choice.

Hope they do another demo before release. I think Octopath did the same after they made some changes and i'd like to experience the updates first hand, though stuff like the menus and overworld definitely look way improved just from the trailer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I appreciate that they took the feedback into account, but a lot of these things seem so basic that you wonder if these people have ever actually made a video game before. It's like they hired an entire team of brand new devs and now they have to reinvent the wheel of basic UI functionality.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The demo did have a little bit of a "My First Project :shobon:" feel

Eddain
May 6, 2007
They never said if we're rebuilding a town again right? That was like my favorite feature of the Bravely games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Are they getting rid of the damage cap? I really hate how that made all the 'big hit' classes utterly worthless compared to the ones that got multiple attacks in the first two games. Especially with how quickly you rammed into it.