Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

Wasn't the version of BD1 we got in the US actually the second revision, where they added some extra features and plot hooks? Maybe they'll do that again this time before making a direct sequel, and maybe the plot will make sense after that.

Probably not, but maybe

BD1 in the West was the second revision of that game. A lot of stuff was added for the Western release, although it was mainly quality of life stuff. So for example, the Japanese didn't have the encounter slider.

Bravely Second was also the second revision of that game. In the second version side quest plots were changed. Basically in the original Bravely Second if you beat an Asterisk then your characters would be sad about the decision they made and this would be true regardless of which Asterisk you chose. It was only when you played through a second time that they'd end up happy with their choices.

Japanese players hated that so in the Western release, when you beat an Asterisk your party immediately gets the happy end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Octopath’s modified version of essentially the same system flows so much better it’s crazy. Still holding out hope for an Octopath 2: Now With Better Connected Stories.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Octopath’s modified version of essentially the same system flows so much better it’s crazy. Still holding out hope for an Octopath 2: Now With Better Connected Stories.

Aren't they busy making Triangle Tactics Ogre (WHich I am also super psyched for)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Octopath 2 should just do the FFIX thing of having clusters of stories it flits between that gradually pull together until the entire party is united at the midpoint, the 8 separate narratives with 8 separate progression paths didn't really bring anything to the table and constrained the game's story and structure heavily and if they're not going to let you do a load of freeform jank stuff like a Saga game they may as well tack closer to a traditional JRPG structure

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I quite liked my time with BD2. Didn't leave me with a lot to think about besides the intricacies of the battle system but that's more than what the average jrpg leaves me with.

Honestly if it had more post-game content I'd be pretty happy overall, I would have loved to have more boss fights and maybe a few extra dungeons that were designed with the assumption that you unlocked the extra job levels.

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 19, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Aren't they busy making Triangle Tactics Ogre (WHich I am also super psyched for)

Yes. The demo fight was fun with the battlefield effects (a thing TO had to a much lesser extent too) and the story will probably be better when you're taking part from the beginning and not several acts in.

I just hope it's not a railroad progression and you actually can run around like in FFT/TO to find side stories, hidden characters, and so on like in those games.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm at chapter 5 and the game is just OK. The characters and writing aren't grabbing me at all. Rimedhal is the only really interesting area and the dungeon design is tedious in general. The sidequest design is so loving tedious and reminds me of Xenoblade 2 where the developers seem to determined to piss off their audience. Its annoying padding at best. The battle system carries the game but finding Godspeed Strike has really made the rest of it less important. I still think the games technical issues really drag it down too - the frequent and overlong loads, odd hitching/lag in the interface and etc.

What are some broken magic combinations I can fart around with? Right now nothing touches Godspeed Strike. I have a character who trash clears with full force, sky high and some other stuff but for bosses it seems like nothing beats Godspeed Strike.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Almost nothing approaches Godspeed Strike until wayyyyyyyy later. Magic in particular is difficult to work with until endgame.

One thing to shoot for is once you get two jobs focused around status ailments later, one of which you may already have. In general, status ailments are powerful since they work on more things than you’d expect, but are also very hard to land. Might be worth trying to figure out what you can do with them right now, but they’ll be easier to work with once you get the above jobs.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Srice posted:

I quite liked my time with BD2. Didn't leave me with a lot to think about besides the intricacies of the battle system but that's more than what the average jrpg leaves me with.

Honestly if it had more post-game content I'd be pretty happy overall, I would have loved to have more boss fights and maybe a few extra dungeons that were designed with the assumption that you unlocked the extra job levels.

Same. I’d love some postgame dungeons. Now that I have all these cool abilities and ultimate weapons, there’s no one to use it on but refights.

Across the Board Ninefold Flurry is doing a great job of wrecking the portal fights. I just wanna get all the ultimate weapons.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol did this game make a foot fetish joke?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Does high wind apply solid stance to jump? I want to run my Edna with sword master/dragoon and bp subjob saver, surpassing power, critical flow, who dares wins, and idk maybe crit amp or multitask

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Does high wind apply solid stance to jump? I want to run my Edna with sword master/dragoon and bp subjob saver, surpassing power, critical flow, who dares wins, and idk maybe crit amp or multitask

It doesn't seem like it does, since Solid Stance specifically wants the Attack command but I don't know for sure. Another skill that can be combined with Highwind and Jump is Berserker's Indiscriminate Rage, which allows the Jump to damage all enemies, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Salastine posted:

It doesn't seem like it does, since Solid Stance specifically wants the Attack command but I don't know for sure. Another skill that can be combined with Highwind and Jump is Berserker's Indiscriminate Rage, which allows the Jump to damage all enemies, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Yeah I do that for mobs but looking for single target dps. highwind says anything that affects attacks also affects jumps so idk

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Yeah I do that for mobs but looking for single target dps. highwind says anything that affects attacks also affects jumps so idk

I just did some light testing and it seems like Highwind and Solid Stance don't work together, which is a shame. I suppose the game views the "Attack command" and "regular attacks" to be separate things.

Salastine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 22, 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm finished with this game and it was pretty unsatisfying. It feels like there are huge sections of content missing, I don't know if this is a pandemic thing or not. It seems like the game entirely lacks a true post-game section or dungeon.
This felt like a 6/10 for me.

You finally get the last asterisk and use it against all of two things. The story really peters out into nonsense and the characterization was threadbare despite a significant play clock. The job system and variety it entailed was really the high point of the game but I never felt like I got to really go nuts with it. The halls of tribulations felt really lazily thrown together but were the only significant challenge in the game. Grinding them for a bit of gear that you never get to use anywhere is pointless though. It's a shame because the systems and mechanics came together in fun ways but you didn't get to do much with them. I guess there is new game plus though I'm not sure I want to bother.

The game had a lot of technical annoyances that really detracted from the experience for me too, I probably ran up 4 hours of staring at that stupid loading lantern by the end. The high points of the game to me were the music, world design was solid and the job system. I will also credit them for attempting to give the characters a bit of inter-party banter in the party chats, something that was glaringly missing from most of Octopath unless you really sought it out.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

This game is p ok 5 hours in, but wtf is with undead + healing vulnerability? I just cured a demon thats supposed to be weak to white magic and it healed him? What am I doing wrong how do I weaponize the healing magic

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Demons aren’t undead. They have to be classified as Undead.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

The eyeglass says weak to [white magic icon] so what are they weak to?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

black.lion posted:

Light. There are like only two jobs that have access to that element, and they're relatively late.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

black.lion posted:

Capture some Petunia's. They cast banishra when released. It's the strongest light magic attack you will get for quite a while. It's also extremely useful vs many enemies and bosses and the bosses you are fighting will die to two of them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

black.lion posted:

Healing spells are classed as light magic (which is distinct from white magic), but only undead enemies are weak against healing spells specifically.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Light. There are like only two jobs that have access to that element, and they're relatively late.

Painter is chapter 2.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Painter is chapter 2.

The very end of chapter 2.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Thats still very far from late even relatively. Its the halfway point of getting jobs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed I had a bunch of exp and JP scrolls in my inventory. Did I pick those up from the exploration mechanic and just didnt know it because I didnt pay attention? :p it came in big handy against a boss just now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I said come in! posted:

I noticed I had a bunch of exp and JP scrolls in my inventory. Did I pick those up from the exploration mechanic and just didnt know it because I didnt pay attention? :p it came in big handy against a boss just now.

You can also get them from stealing. You can get a lot of things from stealing, up to and including stat boosting items. This is also true for enemy drops, and there is at least one way to make enemies drop rare loot more often.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You can get access to light element attacks in chapter 1, as previously mentioned.

Sure in the prelude (and before getting the ch1 job) it's annoying but not having immediate access to all elements isn't a new thing in RPGs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This just released on Steam and someone wrote a Steam review of the technical differences.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xbob42/recommended/1446650/

quote:

This is just a quick tech comparison to the Switch version for those curious, not an actual "review":

1. Supports arbitrary frame rates!
2. Supports arbitrary resolutions!
3. Excellent controller support!
4. Fast load times!
5. No more weird delay when opening the menu or... doing anything.

All the animations and everything look fantastic at 100+ FPS, no framerate related glitches seen so far, combat feels much better, exploring feels 100x better without the FPS constantly taking a dive like on the Switch, the game just feels proper and complete. My biggest fear going in was that there'd be an FPS lock or something, but everything just works so far. Obviously I can't say whether the game will or won't crash for you as that's often system specific, but in terms of most everything else, this is EXACTLY what I wanted, because that Switch version I found virtually unplayable.

Oh! As a bonus: Expeditions are now based on time played instead of sleep mode, and max out at 3 hours instead of 12. So to me at least they're MUCH better implemented!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hey, who wants to listen to someone talk for three hours about Bravely Second?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6h66VXVhOo

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thinking of buying this. Is the general consensus it's a good buy? The OP is from pre-release days.

For the record I enjoy JRPGs.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

LiterallyATomato posted:

Thinking of buying this. Is the general consensus it's a good buy? The OP is from pre-release days.

I liked it just fine. Have you played any other games in the series? If so, you'll probably enjoy it, but it's a little more by the numbers than previous games in the series.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I played this and now I’m thinking of getting FF5

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/bdff_official/status/1478896894009298951?s=21

More games forthcoming!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LiterallyATomato posted:

It's fine. Don't play on hard.

I didn't like it but that's because it's a big step back from its predecessors.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Hey, who wants to listen to someone talk for three hours about Bravely Second?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6h66VXVhOo

not gonna watch this but Bravely Second is the best one in the series

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LiterallyATomato posted:

I think the general consensus is it starts really good and interesting and fun and by the end is a bit of a chore to finish

Probably not the best jrpg to buy if you have others you’re waiting on I guess but I’d give it a solid 7/10 (big FF5 fan)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would've enjoyed BD2 a lot more if not for the serious issues with optimization on the Switch. There's no reason load times needed to be this long and the framerate drops bug me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel the same way, but so many switch owners don't seem to care, which is frustrating

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's on pc tho

but thanks for the 2.5 hr video on bravely second I do love listening to people talk about videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think the general consensus is it starts really good and interesting and fun and by the end is a bit of a chore to finish

Probably not the best jrpg to buy if you have others youre waiting on I guess but Id give it a solid 7/10 (big FF5 fan)

I agree with this, I didn't hate it but the way it fails to deliver on almost anything interesting plotwise is pretty disappointing.

If the appeal of FF-ish job system games is to see how badly you can break the game, this is easily the most breakable of the bravely games by far.