Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2020 RELEASE DATE
DEMO AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqJ9_mz7iS0

It's the second third Bravely game, Bravely Third Default II! This is (presumably) not a direct sequel to Bravely Default (that was Bravely Second), so anyone can jump in without worry! Don't worry about these names!!

The Bravely series started on the 3DS and has featured some awesome JRPG combat and some awesome JRPG music.

Synopsis posted:

A new world, a new story, and all-new Heroes of Light await in an original RPG experience arriving on the Nintendo Switch system in 2020! This successor to the original Bravely Default game comes from the team that brought you the Bravely series and Octopath Traveler, and features music from Revo (Sound Horizon/Linked Horizon), acclaimed composer of the Bravely Default soundtrack.
Most important part is that Revo is back. Bravely Second suffered from lacking in Revo.

Story
Five kingdoms, four crystals of the elements, Heroes of Light, etc. Will update with more info on characters and world once I've beaten the demo and they release some more info! Protip is to invest in Adelle stocks, she's looking to be the best character.

Gameplay

Bravely Default II, like its predecessors, has two main gimmicks to its combat: the job system and the Brave/Default system.
By progressing through the game's story, you encounter bosses holding stones known as Asterisks. By brutally murdering these bosses and stealing their stones, you unlock new jobs such as Thief and Black Mage. In addition to your main job, you can equip your character with another job's skills and some of their passive effects.

But what makes Bravely really stand out is its namesake, Brave and Default. When you guard, or Default, you gain BP, which you can spend using Brave, allowing you to take up to four actions in one turn. You can even go into the negatives - if all your characters Brave the maximum amount at the first turn, you can act 16 times in one turn!! ...But if the enemy survives, they will have several turns to rip you apart while your BP regenerates. Find the balance and strike your enemies down!

Misc.
Will be added to as more info becomes available/I'm not busy playing the demo.

Now go forth, Heroes of Light, and play the demo!

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Survey needs more Ringabell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If Spellcrafting isn't in then I'll be sad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Excillant

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :dogcited:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm hype, def gonna grab this on release. It's pretty much bravely default/second so far, though instead of random encounters they went with over world ones like dragon quest 11.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Downloading the demo right now, really excited for this game. I know the Direct said sometime in 2020 for the final release, but I hope it's still pretty soon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope multiverse hopping happens and lets the Default 1/Second crews show up or at least make cameos at some point.

Also one of the main characters should be quietly replaced with Edea before release, is that in the survey?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I hope multiverse hopping happens and lets the Default 1/Second crews show up or at least make cameos at some point.
Oh they'll show up

As endgame superbosses in different team compositions

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this game looks like its gonna rule, i do very much hope poo poo goes off the rails wacky in the back half.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm def expecting some kind of twist given that it's bravely, some tie in with the plot hooks from second's ending.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I kept bouncing off of Bravely Second due to the consistent retread of Default, I had enough of that in Default already. Hoping this foray is a bit different.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also one of the main characters should be quietly replaced with Edea before release, is that in the survey?

Avalerion posted:

I'm def expecting some kind of twist given that it's bravely, some tie in with the plot hooks from second's ending.
at the end of the game the letters in bravely default ii rearrange themselves to read 'virtually edea' and it turns out this was all just edea playing a vr game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Avalerion posted:

I'm hype, def gonna grab this on release. It's pretty much bravely default/second so far, though instead of random encounters they went with over world ones like dragon quest 11.

So does this mean you can't turn off encounters like in BD1?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does this mean you can't turn off encounters like in BD1?
not in the demo at least

also the overworld encounters don't really make a difference since it's not like you can avoid or outrun them anyway in 90% of the cases

e: wait this is my cue to drop the hot take that random encounters are actually superior to overworld encounters :yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Any word on the damage cap?

I really, really hate how it warps a lot of the design space and made certain classes just objectively terrible in the late game

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

e: wait this is my cue to drop the hot take that random encounters are actually superior to overworld encounters :yeah:

:yeah:

Every single rpg that has random blobs in the overworld people talk about it like it's loving manna from heaven, but actually it's pretty dumb and in most cases doesn't make the game any better.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Doors aren't just decorations now you can actually walk into places :aaa:

e: I encountered a bug where the first quest NPC didn't spawn. Simply going back to the title and loading made her spawn in.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 26, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So loving excited for this. I finished BD and did nearly everything in that game, I played a lot of bravely second (including like ten hours with that rand knitting mini game) but stopped short of actually beating the game.

I'm here for this day one. Kinda disappointed with octopath but I should go back and give that game another chance.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Elvis is clearly Ringabel's father. :v:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Calling it now: we’ve been reading it as Bravely Default 2 because of the Roman Numerals and it’s actually gonna turn out to be Bravely Default 11 and it’s a time looped story/reboot of the series for the Switch

Edit: played a bit of the demo and the game ain’t loving around in terms of difficulty

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Those wasps are assholes.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

But will there be an adorable fairy companion?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope this game gets super meta and the Octopath Travelers show up too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I worry it'll get super grindy, but I'm sure there'll be a way to turn off the mobs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Am I remembering right that the combat system is different this time around? I remember putting in orders for my whole team at once in Bravely Default/Second, but this time you put in orders as each character's turn comes up. Is that right?

Also I am loving the new job costumes. The White and Black Mage ones are fantastic and I love Gloria's fuzzy White Mage hat :3: Can't wait to see the look they give Red Mage this time around.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Octopath demo was a month before release? Maybe that is a good sign?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Octopath had two demos. It had a fairly limited one that let you play Primrose and Olberic's origins and was the "we want to gather feedback" demo, then another one that let you play a big chunk of the beginning of the game and carry over your save that came out shortly before release. If I had to guess, this is the equivalent of that first demo, where the goal is to show off and gather feedback, and there'll be another demo closer to release. I wouldn't bet on the game being released before fall.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ah okay, I missed the first one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Heroes of Light are coming to take our jobs.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know what adelle's accent is but i do know that i'm going to marry her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

But will there be an adorable fairy companion?

Ideally one that seems evil, with the plot twist being that she isn't.

I'm still bummed they made Anne into Airy 2.0.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The twist of the game is going to be Parallel Dimensions hate to break it to you folks.

The game isn't called bravely default 2, it's Bravely Default | |

At one point in the game you're going to have to go to the different dimension and your cast will invade the title screen and hop from one | to the other | you heard it here first.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gonna need someone to come in here and change the 2 in the title to II

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The twist of the game is going to be Parallel Dimensions hate to break it to you folks.

The game isn't called bravely default 2, it's Bravely Default | |

At one point in the game you're going to have to go to the different dimension and your cast will invade the title screen and hop from one | to the other | you heard it here first.

:hmmyes:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So like, Adelle is totally from this world's moon, right? She's got the exact same color scheme as Magnolia and her accent sounds vaguely French-ish to my ears.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
she sounds swedish and i'm not sure if i love that or hate it

not that i'll be playing with the english voices anyway but still

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
This should be great on the Nintendo Switch.

The stay at home orders have really allowed me to play the games I haven't beaten yet.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Elvis is clearly Ringabel's father. :v:

Joking aside, would not be surprised if he actually was an older Ringabel, faking a Scottish accent and hiding his hair quiff under the hat.

This world is probably either the distant future, or an alternate dimension, to the one from the first two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never played the first Bravely Default, I guess it was on 3DS?

Am I missing much, or is this FF style where ever game is sorta self contained? Also...is this just made by FF people?

Also, Octopath Traveler is on sale 50% off. Now that the hype has died down, worth or no?