Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Survey needs more Ringabell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Avalerion posted:

I'm hype, def gonna grab this on release. It's pretty much bravely default/second so far, though instead of random encounters they went with over world ones like dragon quest 11.

So does this mean you can't turn off encounters like in BD1?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zore posted:

Are they getting rid of the damage cap? I really hate how that made all the 'big hit' classes utterly worthless compared to the ones that got multiple attacks in the first two games. Especially with how quickly you rammed into it.

You could also make the crazy nonsense super stacking builds that got to bypass the damage cap and hit for millions of damage.

...and then your friends used your friend move (or whatever it was called in BD1) to OHKO the super bosses in the rebuilt town. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The turn order bar in Octopath was definitely a big help in doing stuff like kill the adv job bosses in the 30s. and beating down on high level fights in general.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

Thing about Octopath is that all it really would've taken for me was to have characters sometimes appear and comment in other characters' stories, and not just in the pub chat skits. Having characters just chime in with a line or two during other characters' scenes so that it's clear that they're all there going through stuff together would've made a huge difference.

Making the game check to see who you had and adjusting cutscenes based on that would've been cool but it also would've been a hell of a lot of work that they likely had neither time nor resources for.

That said, it *was* funny to play a story where the character was locked in a cell when Therion was in the party and the game played it as anything more than a minor annoyance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Farg posted:

you cant turn off random battles but all enemies are on the map and move slower than you. you can hit them on the overworld to start with a bp advantage. there are plentiful items which reduce spawns, and lower level enemies actively avoid you.

While not as nice as the sliders in the first game, this works too.

I'm downloading the game and going to start playing tomorrow. Does this have a town builder and "bring a friend for a big gently caress off super attack" mechanic like the first game?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Started playing and yeah I'm going to echo that forage seems kiiiinda silly. Maybe it falls off later in the game, or maybe later in the game people are able to use it to farm megaelixirs or w/e this game's uber healing items are.

I also figured I'd try to cheese that rare spawn on the beach with the old man's help until I examined it and saw the HP, and the 1k damage attacks. :stare:

Fuligin posted:

i think the characters are pretty awful looking compared to BD1, imo. Shiny and plastic and uncanny.

They look fine on my TV so far. I prefer it over characters like Rex and Pyra. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Seth's EN voice actor sounds like a better-directed Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to me (it's not them apparently).

raditts posted:

You can buy two types of "damage all enemies" items in the shop in the first town. They pretty much melt the first asterisk bosses.

I didn't think those showed up until after the fight, though forage being kinda silly had me finding similar items at level 6-7 (which would be overkill for that fight but, eh).

Got to the 2nd town last night and decided to do some JP grind to master freelancer. Went back to the starting area beach, scared a half dozen enemies in to a corner and then popped a fresh fish. End result was 7 fights, 3x rewards and something like 1k JP :stare:

Did it a few more times and the highest it got to was just over 1.3k JP for one of the fights (which I'm assuming was then boosted by 1.2-1.7x for everyone) which is pretty hilarious considering those fights are just a complete non-threat with ok gear and level 8-9. Or you can just do it as soon as you have all 4 characters since you'll also have sloan to keep you alive and help murder everything but I'm dumb and didn't do that. It seems like the bonus caps at 3x and maybe 10 consecutive fights? I never went over 10 fights even when I chained 8 enemies with a bait food active at night (though I did end up with most/all of those 10 waves being 5-6 enemies each).

Srice posted:

Honestly instead of grinding JP a bunch early on it's better to just keep going through the story since you'll be drowning in jobs soon enough.

Yes but I want to grind those jobs at 1.7x speed :v:

glassyalabolas posted:

It has New Game+ with options for what you want to carry over.

This is the best way to NG+. Except when you have to spend points on it like in Tales games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

When it comes to JP grinding, assuming I didn't get JP Up/Up and Up in the prologue, when's another good opportunity to grind out those Freelancer levels on everyone? I assume I'm going to want those abilities sooner than later.

I did it immediately after the prologue, using the beach method I mentioned earlier since a bunch of level 9-10 freelancers have zero issue smashing 8-10 of those fights in a row.

A Sometimes Food posted:

The load times are a pain but this is really growing on me. I kinda love the visuals now.

The evil Prime Minister changing into that flashy monk outfit made me loving lose it, I was totally expecting like time mage or something and then he goes into full glammed up kung fu. Goddamn what.

Yeah this was great and I immediately mastered the joib on Adelle and holy poo poo pressure point loving destroys things as does the 99mp super move.

^burtle posted:

Got a Large XP Orb from the Ship Mode and now I have a level 21 character and 3 12s.

I just came back from a 12hr exploration and one of my finds was 2 of them :stare:

My team is currently level 12 and I'm really not sure if I want to make 2 people huge (or 1 person super huge). The tool tip for exploration was not loving around when it mentioned "this is a good way to level fast if you don't play often." Each large orb is 10,000 experience. :stare:

Mezzanon posted:

How does everyone get such high battle chains?

If you're a high level, enemies run from you in the opposite direction you approach them from. You can corral a shitload of enemies by doing this.

You can pop one of those bait items to further boost the battle chain rate but I think it caps at 10?

Ojetor posted:

Even regular stat accessories give such hefty stat boosts that it actually makes a significant difference which accessories you choose to equip on a character. I found an accessory that gives a ton of speed and has a -6 weight value. Which means you can use it on your tank to fit in all the huge armor, or just use it as an even bigger speed boost with the extra spare weight on top of the +speed.

I think the buyable wind pendants are -weight in addition to +1 wind resist. If I have some super powerful setup that's too heavy to use you can be drat sure I'll be wearing one or two of those to make it work.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

I assumed that it worked like ff5 and you could only have one monster captured per character, but I guess it's a shared pool and my ten minotaurs are going to be someone's problem soon

:stare:

I stopped for the night after getting bard but I'm pretty sure I know what the next 2 jobs are I'll get (or if they aren't next, soon enough) and a communal catch and release pool for beastmaster instead of the FF5 one and done sounds lovely.

A Sometimes Food posted:

It also boosts healing. Slap two on a white mage and watch that heal tank go.

I stuck one on each character at the start of the game and going from 300 to 900hp helps just a bit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Vanguard feeding BP could probably let you keep the buff running indefinitely.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This is my experience as well. BLM does kind of disappointing damage unless I'm hitting a weakness with an -aga spell.

Same. I can burn 60+mp for a 3-400damage -aga spell or 99mp for a 1500 damage monk skill, or 1bp for 1k or so damage and just have someone do that 2x for their first action in random battles to blow through trash at breakneck speed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

Undine only takes 40 damage from Thundara even though it's weak to it. Why? Dunno. It's not defaulting, it's just hovering about, so why?

Because magic seems to be woefully underpowered, at least early on. Maybe later classes have the level 4-5 elemental spells and poo poo like Flare and Ultima but getting -aga spells on a Black Mage and dealing less damage than a monk skill that can be easily spammed is annoying.

Kyrosiris posted:

Hello friends, I come to espouse the good word of MONKZERKER.

Had to double check that I wasn't in an FF5 thread. Eh, close enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

glassyalabolas posted:

Is the boat mechanic determined by the amount of friends in your switch?

I'd like to know this too. It seems super random and IDK if these people I'm meeting are friends or other random players.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

stev posted:

Speaking of the ruins, that lunch sidequest may be the most tedious bullshit I've seen in the game so far, but the reward was too good to skip it.

I ran it just to get it out off the way but in the time it takes to complete it I could've probably run 2 10-battle chains on the beach in the starting area and gained 10x the JP that the reward gave.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I can't get a chain past 2 or 3 battles, how do you go up past that?

Corral a bunch of fleeing mobs (using a coastline and moving them into a map corner works best) and pop a bait item before the fight.

Or use a bait item and get a bunch of stuff to chase you until you have a big group to chain, but the first method is faster tbh. The Sahaugin in the intro area can drop fresh fish as a rare item as well so it's pretty self-sustaining.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

IDK what crack you're smoking but short rpg in a day and age where every rpg is a massive "crack open a tome, you're now doing homework assignments" a short fun campy rpg would be neat

Literally what Octoboath Traveller was and people love to complain about how the simple and straightforward thing SE promised didn't actually end up being some different and super complex dream ideal RPG.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I finished the Berserker boss fight before going to bed last night and goddamn I'm glad I remembered to swap Gloria to a white mage since I did every other boss fight in Chapter 1 without one and only beat them due to having hi-potions from forage. On another note the Gambler boss fight was some understandably RNG bullshit and I probably should've waited a bit instead of getting it as soon as it was available but it seems neat. Leveling it sucks because of all-or-nothing though.

Once I get Magpie on a thief or two I think I'm going to have to go try cheesing some rare steals from rare enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I keep mousing over spoilers for the early desert zone since I'm past it and see people talking about the Gambler job, did I manage to miss a sidequest that gives you a job?

Yes, if you know the job name you have a good idea of where to look for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

stev posted:

Are the sailing rewards better if you let it run the full 12 hours or is it entirely random? I've gotten into the groove of camping outside the sailing shack and popping in to grab my treasure whenever I get bored working from home.

12 hours just seems to be when the exploration log entries max out, and maybe it guarantees a reward for the final entry?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Levantine posted:

I like it but I wish it was more useful outside the room you learn to play. Once you get the Asterisk you never really need to play again for any reason. At least in FF8 you could obsessively grind cards and turn them into something useful. Like a lot of other things in BD2 it just ends up feeling half baked, regardless of how legitimately good it is to play on its own.

Completing card collections gives you prizes, doesn't it? You probably havr to do a 100% collection to unlock some end/post game ultimate thing too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PageMaster posted:

I don't know why they would include chain battles for leveling and then make it so frustrating to actually set any up with more than a couple enemies at once. Trying to wrangle enemies together is a nightmare, and then when you use your food you end up pulling something just far enough away from the group wasting all your effort.

The secret is to chase weak enemies into a corner then pop the item. Still seems like you need 7+ enemies to get 10 fights even at night which is annoying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ojetor posted:

berserker with the no cost skills while raging passive is just bonkers af

Seth is mowing down bosses and random encounters single-handedly while the rest of the party durdles doing whatever

This is all well and good but I'm going to take a moment to preach about our blurry lord and slayer, Godspeed Strike.

I was farming the rare mob by the waterfall in the intro area for a bit (it's like 12k hp and dies fast to a bunch of pressure point/body slam spam) and decided to try the rare mob down on the beach. I'm level 25, 52k hp can be a bit to chew through especially when the enemy can drop 1k+ damage hits or 1600dmg aoe (if you aren't immune/absorb water).

...unless you have godspeed strike. Even with only 85-95 speed and main gauches, godspeed strike is 2-3k per hit on that guy, 4.3-4.8k per hit on crits. That's not impressive sounding sure, until you factor in that the skill does that damage again at the end of the 'round' and so the end result is, unless you miss a bunch, one dead lizard 1-2 rounds in to the fight depending on if/how you buff up before dropping 3-4 godspeeds each (usually 3 with an ether popped after the first 2). Needless to say at level 25 you still get the underdog bonus which is nice and all but not as nice as the 20wt 90-ish atk/mag ice element frostbrand they have as a rare drop/steal. A straight upgrade over the defender unless you're fighting something resist/immune/absorbant vs ice. :getin: I'm sure a bunch of ice-immune monkzerkers can handle it well enough too but godspeed strike has some crazy alpha strike potential. I didn't go buy +speed gear first either otherwise most people would've beenin the 95-105 range instead of 85-95 and I'm sure that would be a nice dmg boost. It's like Therion in Octopath all over again. :ese:
(yes I'm aware there's a good rare steal cheesing setup i could setup too but that'll come eventually)

Due to farming to get the rare drop and magpie passives for a bunch of people I think I went from 22 to 26 after I got red mage, which Elvis mastered since he has MP saver from beastmaster already, and mastered black mage as well. The rare drop rate boosting passive gets extremely silly when you start running it on multiple characters too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 6, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I wonder if they added the weight mechanic specifically to counteract people being able to farm the rare drops from rare mobs and not wanting to let people run around with super powerful gear without making some sacrifices to use it at low levels.

LiefKatano posted:

I'm not entirely certain if monk is overtuned or if black mage is just undertuned. It's quite possible it's both, but it's at least one of them.

For the berserker boss, at least, Firebird into Fires of War was both safer (insofar as triggering a counter only caused the boss to cleave the monk in two instead of the whole party) and more damaging than Blizzaga. Firebird also lets you use Firaga more, sure, but Fires of War was still dealing a lot more damage. I think the HP costs, combined with bosses adoring counter attacks, are supposed to be the balance, but...

The specialty that unlocks at level 12 does not help either!

I think they messed up something in the black mage damage calculations for players. I can run a white mage with much less healing power than a black mage's offensive power can cure 1600hp with Cura while the black mage is lucky to break 1k damage with an -aga spell against something weak to the element.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

stev posted:

Now that black mage and vanguard are maxed and dealing monster damage monk really doesn't seem worth the HP cost. Most of the attacks deal more damage to me than to the enemy.

And I'm in the same boat having tied bard to white mage and regretting it. In a tough fight there's just never an opportunity to use any buffs unless I start sacrificing a bunch of turns.

Pressure point and their last move whose name I forget are both huge damage for monks. Monk's thing is "get bp, pop invigorate, then 4x brave next turn and dump 4 pressure points/blasts as the enemy fall down."

Godspeed strike, on the other hand, is just busted as hell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I keep forgetting to steal from bosses so hopefully none of them have had any cool unique stuff so far.

Natural 20 posted:

Like that's obviously incorrect for a lot of reasons.

If the level curve is off so you're constantly underleveled in dungeons that's a problem with the game. Again, I am playing this as predictably as anyone reasonably could do. If the claim then is "But the game assumes grinding" then I'm going to call it a bad game because no RPG in 2021 should assume that the player spends their time grinding trash mobs to stay on curve.

It equally should not be an expectation that the player goes into the dungeon overleveled without fighting anything for it to be of a tolerable length. I actually don't think being underleveled is significantly impacting me because I snapped the job system over my knee and it's only just catching up now. But in a world where I fight what comes to me, kill every encounter inside two rounds and continue on, these dungeons are taking upwards of two hours.

That is far too long and really bad design. The dungeons have impact and ideas for half an hour of content, not two. You could cut this game down by half and it would be a much breezier and fun RPG.

The fact that there are teleport points doesn't change the fact that I'm already really bored of the dungeon by the time I hit the midpoint. Most dungeons should end by the first teleport point as they stand.

For what it's worth I still enjoy the game because it's an FFV job system so how can I not. But it's such a step down from the previous titles in so many ways that I'm disappointed

If dungeons take you 2 hours the problem is your party. I just grabbed the first job in Ch2 and that dungeon might've been 30 minutes including time I spent capturing monsters ans testing what their beastmaster effects are (which needs to be in the bestiary or something because come on game) and the enemies were red to me when I started the dungeon, though I picked up 2-3 levels inside. I also have pressure point on 2 characters and the other 2 had body slam so I can 1 round 99% of random encounters. Though if something survives then things can go badly for a few turns but the only way I see a dungeon taking a long time is if I'd run a group with really bad damage output.

Srice posted:

In the red mage fight there's also a monster immune to physical attacks but I was able to immediately nuke it down with beastmaster captures. The idea that killing it would take an hour like that reviewer said, is absurd.

Pretty sure I killed that thing with pressure point (and maybe a couple golem captures) plus whatever my monkzerker was using.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PSA: Shakedown is affected by passives like magpie.

Wasn't sure if it was or not until I used shakedown and stole a Genji helm from the ork king(?) in chapter 2 and then promptly fled with it (god bless 100% flee rate skills). Berserkers get a lot of weight to play with, enough that they were able to use it with a bigass axe+sword combo and a pair of power bracers to just become a big wall-o-death. :getin:

Natural 20 posted:

Which route did you take? One of those dungeons is absolutely fine and the other is far too long. In Ch2 I was largely oneshotting everything with Pressure Point.

I've gone through 3 dungeons and they all seemed fine, though most monsters fled from me in the 2nd (not that it helped with how many I ran into due to the camera and tight pathways). I think I'm going to put beast whisperer on everyone while killing through dungeons because I had it on 2 people and ended up with 6 paralyzing attack uses in the 3rd dungeon and they seemed to land on the boss pretty consistently. Freelancer being able to dispel enemy buffs is a godsend too.

Phoix posted:

You can switch weapons in combat with no BP cost, although to be fair I don't think it ever explains that.

...the game definitely never says this, though you can select your weapon/shield in combat so maybe they figure people would try because who'd pla for 15-20 hours and never try to use their weapons in combat? :shepicide:

e:

LiefKatano posted:

I'm convinced monkzerker is the god combo.

I was kind of annoyed/confused on fists not having an element but as it turns out if it doesn't have an element it can't be resisted!

Yep! The downside to fists is it never hits a weakness and the crit rate sucks but eh.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 7, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Levantine posted:

Is there a decent place early in Chapter 2 to do some grinding? I'm not having trouble, I just want to unlock some skills before I get moving. Frankly the grinding and class tetris is the best part of the game so I prefer that to the rest tbh.

You can go back to the interlude area and either chain stuff on the beach for JP or you can farm the rare enemy up by thew waterfall north of town. There's a screen transition right nearby so fight-kill-leave-return-fight takes about a minute per cycle and iirc it's 1500ish xp and like 300jp. Their rare drop is a main gauche which isn't amazing but is a fairly solid dagger.

If you want to break the game (probably, I haven't done this yet myself and don't plan to until after I beat the game) the undead horse things that spawn on the map by this rare mob drop speed buns as their rare drop/steal item. Put the rare drop boost from gambler on all 4 characters and you will see these (and every other rare drop) constantly. IDK how many you'd get if you did this for even 20-30 minutes but I imagine it'd be a lot and if you boosted someone's speed by 50-100 I imagine their godspeed strike will go from "well this is OP" to "9999 damage non-crits" or something equally insane, considering that with 95 speed I was critting for over 4.5k on the rare down on the beach and I'm guessing the dmg ramps up exponentially as your speed does. They drop from a ch2 enemy as well. I think I ended up with 15 drops just by going through a dungeon and not farming anything. At this point I'm leaving the passive on everyone just to see what all drops.

Magpie and Rare Talent rule though. I was stealing from ch2 mobs to see what their rares were and ended up with 4 power bracers from a single fight due to the final thief passive. Seth has been using the unarmed passive pretty much since I got monk so these drops were quite the dmg boost for him (since the drop i got in ch1 is on Adelle).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

My journey of "see a new rare, swap to thief with passives, use shakedown to grab 2 rare drops from it" just resulted in me getting a pair of 55wt 172 attack bows from the rare demon on the ice floats (Astaroth?) in Ch3). Sure, I don't think I can actually use this on the relevant jobs without some -weight accessories but holy moley.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this is extremely annoying and dumb. I don't want to have to waste my captured monsters just to find out what they do (and even then it'd probably be hard to remember all of them).

On the upside, I was testing the ch3 optional class's dungeon captures on the boss and one of them (the undead horse, I think) was 8-9k damage when unleashing them so having 5 of those certainly made that boss go quickly since white mage Elvis was able to easily keep up with the damage and captures didn't set off the boss's stupid counter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I tried to level gambler for a while but it's so annoying randomly not getting JP.

I effortlessly killed the thief with off the leash (or chain? The second one) minotaurs

I had 3 10 battle chains in a row where Elvis got 0 JP and I just said gently caress it and burned a ton of orbs to get rare talent on him since he'd missed out on 5-6k JP in like 10-15 minutes. That class's trait is just awful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I had my first boss wipe in a while, fighting the sword and spirit duo in chapter 3 because I killed the caster and then the other character, when they were almost dead, decided to burn 3 BP to merk half my group, then got another turn before anyone else and burned another 3 BP for another round of miltattack spam and the end result was my party going frok full hp to dead before anyone got to act.

So I responded by capturing 9 Astaroths, which you can fight right before the save point and just bombing the fuckers from orbit with Gloria and Adelle using the Pictomancer subjob bp skill and off the chaining those things since it meant each use was 5 hits for 2-3k a pop without any buffs/debuffs in play and I've never seen a boss counter beastmaster summons. The biggest issue with beastmaster is that you need to keep capturing stronger stuff because enemies from a few dungeons earlier, let alone a prior chapter, will fall off hard on their dmg potential.

Ojetor posted:

Either way is fine. Depending on the weapons you have available you might have higher attack with a weapon, but a bare-handed brawler will be significantly speedier since they'll be carrying a lot less weight.

Or tankier since to weapons meant that in ch2 I had Gloria wearing dark robes and a genji helm making her ridiculously durable while still putting out high damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Vanguard as a sub is good too if you're going heavy defense since you can force stuff to target you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

The Chapter 2 asterisk bosses come with adds that are immune to everything but wind/nonelemental. If you still run any physical attacker with barehanded as your primary shitkicker you probably wouldn't have noticed since fists aren't considered a physical element in terms of damage reduction.

I've had barehanded on Gloria and Adelle almost non-stop since unlocking it on them and yeah those adds were just a non-issue. Beastmaster works too because stuff like golems and those 6-armed things are all unarmed damage too when you release them on a target.

I guess an unarmed character with godspeed would probably be even better since godspeed is just stupidly powerful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Spirit master would be so good if it didn't basically cancel out my entire berserker character. What's a good main to sub spirit master onto? Alternatively what's a good main damage dealer to replace berserker? I already have a swordmaster main with vanguard sub so looking to try something different. Maybe a thief?

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize that spirits were also dispelling all positive buffs...

Dragoon dual wielding spears with berserker as a subclass for massive aoe damage to insta-gib trash encounters. Stick on the beast whisperer passive as well to stockpile an army of captures in the process.

DeathSandwich posted:

Do the secondary hits from Godspeed all tick independently? I always guessed that the balance point was that if you stacked up three of them in a turn that you only got one secondary hit.

They all hit one after another. So if you fire 16 Godspeed strikes then at the end of the turn it'll tick 16 times.

At that point, if the enemy isn't dead then you're about to be. :v:

Mylan posted:

Is there anything to increase regular drop rates from monsters? I'm in chapter 3 and went back to the earlier zones to do some grinding and started trying to fill out monster entries, and I noticed in the chapter 2 zone the monster drop rates are absolutely abysmal. Rare Talent x 4 seems to make the rare drops virtually guaranteed, but the "common" drops are now super rare. It almost feels like a bug. Removing rare talent doesn't seem to help. Is that just how it is?

In chapter 3 you can buy steal-boosting accessories and just steal a bunch of common drops if there's something in particular you're looking for that isn't sold in shops.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Just got to Ch4 and holy poo poo the final fight in Ch3 with the Oracle boss was literal RNG bullshit for their last 25% or so of HP, with me losing 3x because they used their plain damage AOE 3-4x in a row and killed everyone instantly.

so I went back in with a real job setup, including Seth as a Vanguard since it put him to about 450atk, and once the boss got to around half HP I just had Seth and Adelle drop him to 1500hp and Gloria finished him off. :fuckoff:

If that had failed I'd have probably gone with a nuclear (godspeed) strike setup to just auto-kill the boss. I tried the last salve-maker skill as well but the "makes that family type take vulnerable damage" doesn't seem to ever do anything? Unless it's an effect that bosses just keep resisting, like how I've yet to see a status-aliment bomb actually inflict its aliment on anything that wasn't immune to it.

Kyrosiris posted:

Total overall captured (limit of 99 captures per monster counting), releases do not decrement it.

:stare:

And here I thought it'd be broken to just farm speed buns for an hour or two, this is so much more comical. Especially if you run around with beast whisperer on someone who clears 99% of trash fights on their own.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Correct, that skill applies a buff on the user, not a debuff on the target. I had the same reaction at first, the wording in the description makes it sound like it works for everyone but unfortunately it only works for the user.

Oh, well that's unfortunate. :(

Impermanent posted:

after a certain point, if you've put any thought into your party's build at all, the only way bosses have any chance of actually using an ability is through counters giving them free bp or whatever, and the counterattacks can be auto-avoided, so i don't know what the people complaining about counters are saying other than "i don't know how to play this game."

Which is not to say that we couldn't have benefited from a little more transparency. i'd rather have a list of counters from bosses upon using a magnifying glass / survey instead of just guess and checking.

One of the bosses that wiped me multiple times had a "counter when any ability is used" counter that gave them +1bp so it was literally impossible to not have them at 3BP unless you want to autoattack a boss and single target heal with hi potions, which cannot keep up with their dmg output.

Sure, there's going to be a point where the murder train leaves the station but the fights before that point get real stupid at times unless you just go in with a team to alpha strike the boss dead at a moment's notice (beastmaster is pretty amazing for this but godspeed strike takes less prep time and ultimately hits harder).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Considering how stealing from rare mobs work, if weight didn't exist you'd absolutely have a lot of people running around in endgame gear pretty much from the moment you get thief since there's a tree in the intro area or ch1 with an endgame spear, and the rare ghost horse on the cliffs by Bernand's house has dark robes that are definitely endgame robes, and the icebrand from the lizard on the starting area beach is at least as strong as stuff in ch4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had the rare drop ability on two of my characters in the sewer/Institute dungeon and now I have 35 mythril shields, what do I do with all of these???

But seriously, it’s funny to get a rare drop and be like “ooh neat” and then get 27 more and no longer be impressed :geno:

Edit: I’m currently struggling in random battles because I want to level up new jobs but none of the ones I’m using are good at clearing mobs. I was digging Elvis as a Red Mage with Black Magic sub for major destruction with Chainspell but I want to level him up in new jobs. Pictomancer is kinda eh apart from that one amazing ability.

Stick berserker as a sub on someone and give them barehanded from monk. They'll have solid dmg output regardless of their main job and you can clear trash with level strike. Toss on a headband and power bracers for further dmg boosts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

i've been wondering, do beastmaster monster skills actually scale with your stats? because it feels like they don't.

No they do not. And only monsters with non-set damage/heal amounts benefit from Off the Chain. IE: An undine healing 900 with White Wind still only heals 900 hp even if you burn extra BP, and a monster that gives a 50% crit buff is giving 50% regardless of being released or unchained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's maybe a little higher than 1%, but it's extremely low and probably by intent, to get you to play with certain passives that become available later on.

On the upside, shakedown is 100% steal rates and works with magpie and the double item steal passive so if you want a rare steal (or 2) from an enemy you can savescum it pretty easily, or just spam thief skills on trash to recharge your specials.