Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just got the Bard class and I got extremely annoyed by the sidequests going in and out of the dungeon but I guess it was worth it because it got my new Bard up to level 5 immediately. These Buns/Orbs are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SO I'm just at the end of chapter 1 but I saw someone complaing about dungeon design and size wrt the Ruins dungeon.

It's literally 2 boxes with smaller boxes inside and you can always see the halls above and below you if you leave the big open area. It takes 30 seconds to walk from the entrance to the boss fight with no encounters. It's a incredibly tiny place and it's just a simple layout. I wouldn't mind a mini map but not having one isn't really an issue, at least in for the example they brought up here. This place, even with its dead ends, isn't really any more complicated than an office building IRL. I dunno maybe I'm just really good at visualizing spaces but there's nothing really to get lost in here. Even the haunted house is actually just a bunch of dead end hallways made by furniture and there's really only one path forward while the rest just loops around in the common area.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had 3 10 battle chains in a row where Elvis got 0 JP and I just said gently caress it and burned a ton of orbs to get rare talent on him since he'd missed out on 5-6k JP in like 10-15 minutes. That class's trait is just awful.

Oh the other hand I got a 8 chain battles and the passive pay out proc'd on JP and it cannot feel better than that.

That's Gambling. It's the best. It's the worst.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Does the red mage speciality and magic crit passive apply to the spells.cast by gamblers elemental wheel?

Cause if I can make gambling even more busted I'll take it. Gambler owns bones

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Question about Shieldmaster. What's the point of reprisal? Enemies do like 5 damage a hit to them so far. I mean I'm halfway through chapter 3 and my shield master cannot take damage so reflecting half of that 14 damage back doesn't seem good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You press the Beastmaster action in combat

Then press down once to stop on "Off The Lease"

Hit confirm.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Beastmaster by itself shits on most of chapter 1. Just catch monsters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caidin posted:

There wasn't even anyone to guard it from! it was one of the many crystal grown forests that had sprung up recently-ish. Everyone was more concerned about the actual town, and only kinda.

She explicitly says She brainwashed lily to keep her away from her husband after she came snooping around when he first started going nuts. That way you get her out of the way and ensure and the supply of yellow paint isn't interrupted since she kind of ganks anyone venturing too far into the woods.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I tell how many enemies I captured for the beastmaster job, and how do I tell what their moves are? and for seriously, each monster is a 1 time use?? I don't get to LEARN white wind? the gently caress is this poo poo

OPen the off the leash menu in combat. And a passive for beast master lets you auto catch enemies you kill 1/3rd of a time and you don't really need to have them be more than one use because they're insanely good, especially with a level 12+ BST.

Seriously, a handful of the right mob will just poo poo on bosses completely.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 21, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The skeleton sellswords in particular are pretty ridiculous, having a low hit rate but dealing percentage-based damage that works on bosses, which is pretty nuts at that point in the game.

Them and any bee enemy just lets you you bully bosses to death. So manny bosses just paralocked from 100% to death.

But also of course BST's releases are one use stuff, that's what the class has always been. BST and BLU were always separate design spaces.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

They are????? As in all bosses? Status effects have historically never been useful on bosses because JRPGs train you to expect every boss to resist all status effects. I’m surprised this game is an exception.

Play more jrpgs.

Or just loving try options instead of just going "The only way to beat bosses is GSS spam".

Half the fun of BST and Salve-maker is just slapping all the statuses on everyone all the time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Salve maker doesn't really come with a manual of how to inflict status effects so I honestly never used it

All you do is click 1 attack item in your compund list and every possible combo with the herbs is named right there things like "Sleep Bomb" "Poison Bomb" "Big Dread Bomb"

It explicitly gives you the manual you just have to read.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I ain't got patience for all a that bullshit

Following this conversation is more reading than using salve-maker constantly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Again I'm not sure I'd really take opinions of someone who couldn't even engage with the games core combat mechanics word as gospel for the quality of the game.

Polly's jumped between "This game is too easy" and "Oh god the only way to possibly beat this boss is the spam this one move" too much for me to really listen to their design complaints.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

So I just got the Gambler job just Bad or does it have secret syngeries I don't know about. The specialty were you don't earn JP seems pretty egregious.

If you've got the luck its very strong. If you don't its useless.

Gamble.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Hours 25~40: Well, the dungeons have only gotten worse, battle has devolved into either Godspeed Strike spam or TPKs,

Again this is more a you issue than a problem with the game. Especially when you say thing like status effects are viable late game only.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It strikes me that there are more differences between the chapters that point to different authorship:

* Dragons show up in chapter 3, but have never been mentioned before. Fairies also show up and while I can't actually remember if they're mentioned beforehand, they've certainly not been emphasized.
* In chapter 1, the water crystal being the water crystal is directly relevant to character motivations - Castor wanted it in order to provide water for the people of his desert city. But in chapters 2 and 3, the crystals are kind of an afterthought. Folie uses the crystal as... a trap for that little girl whose blood she wanted? It never actually matters that Wiswald is overgrown with crazy vegetation, the chapter is really all about Folie's crazy paint-making scheme and mind controlling people. And in chapter 3 the only mention at all I can recall is that people say it's a little warmer than it should be or something. And the plot of that chapter has nothing to do with the crystal at all, it's all about Helio wanting to soften up the place for invasion!
* Chapter 4 has nothing to do with the events of 1-3 either. None of the new villain underlings have any relation to what happened in those chapters, at best they've got vague connections to the backstory. The only real connection is to the prologue, in that Adam ostensibly stole the wind crystal to power his airship.
* In chapter 5-6, fairies are suddenly a big deal despite, as mentioned, barely being mentioned before. On the other hand, the ostensible conflict between fairies and humans is only paid minimal lip service when the party reaches Mag Mell, but is almost instantly discarded.

It's as if every author had a completely different idea about what the story was, and they didn't sync much up besides basic worldbuilding elements.

The entire point of Chapter 4 is That all of it was just to destabilize the regions to begin the invasions in each reason. Both to make it easier to get supplies/travel and to also gently caress up the established orders of the realms so their response would be weak. You learn the Fairies made the asterisks around the same time you learn you're traveling with a fairy who's looking for her fairy sister who stole the fairy asterisks and gave them to all these people it's all fairy(ly) well connected and follows through pretty logically.

Like pre-game events there was a huge frozen mountain of ice and snow in front of what is now the main entrance to the city. Your party comments on this when you get there. The influence of the fire crystal heated the place up to beign mildly cold instead of Forever Frozen which means Adam and his army can really easily just march right up to the front gates, which is exactly what they do and explicitly what he says in the end of Chapter 3 cutscenes and the scene at the start of Chapter 4 where he sends his generals out to invade the world.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 31, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Light. There are like only two jobs that have access to that element, and they're relatively late.

Painter is chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The very end of chapter 2.

Thats still very far from late even relatively. Its the halfway point of getting jobs.