Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ugh, I still don't understand how games like this feel like the whole (spoilers for incredibly common and overused RPG trope) ally dying right in front of you from a wound that there's no way for you to possibly cure despite the fact that one of your party members has white magic equipped, can cast everything from Curaga to Arise, have a backpack full of healing items, etc. It's not like the enemies are pulling punches! I've had characters die multiple times in a single fight to attacks that are so much more deadly than the love taps that you got in a cutscene!

Otherwise I've been enjoying the game. Killing the optional overworld bosses and getting their crazy gear does kind of break the story quest difficulty, but that's somewhat expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Infinite JP in ch 3:

In the ice dungeon, there is a room with 3 chests and a bunch of slippery ice platforms leading up to them. The topmost chest has an encounter with 2 of the rarespawn metal slime enemies (wig wig?). Equip some thieves with spearhead, magpie, and rob blind, 4x steal for a chance at getting small and medium JP orbs, then flee which will reset the battle an unlimited number of times.

To add to this, this is absolutely fantastic for upgrading Gambler since you bypass its whole bullshit about getting 0 or 15x rewards.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Are there any essential abilities worth getting from the gambler job? I really don't want to keep dealing with this card game but I hate being locked out of another job right now.

Yes. There's a passive that gives 10% rare drop rate increase. That's an additive 10%, and it stacks.

Note that you only need to play the card game something like 2-3 times in the gambling tent to get the job to unlock; you don't need to do a whole lot.

PageMaster posted:

I think there's a special they gives 100 percent steal rate while it's up which is the only time I think I would bother with stealing until someone comes up with an inevitable (I hope) ultra broken stealing build/guide.

What I've been doing is giving characters a combination of rare drop rate, basic attack hits all targets, basic attacks trigger steal, steal can get rare items, and stealing gets double items when grinding or running through basic dungeons. You end up with so much random crap, and even though the stealing success rates are a bit low (though I do have 2x thief gloves slotted if I can do so without getting splattered by counters), when you're hitting 5-6 enemies at once with 4 attacks per character, you steal quite a bit before the encounter is over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I'm partway through Chapter 5 and there are so many cool things that I could unlock and use, and so many neat things that seem like they would be amazing.

And yet, everything kind of just dies to godspeed strike spam, so that's what I've been doing. The story bosses say their first spiel after the initial hits, then the damage over time hits and they go down immediately. It's amusing, but I want to start changing it up more.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Butz, Larry Butz.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Does a character's main job at level up affect stat gains? My Adelle does like 50 percent more damage than my Seth with same gear and had a lot more Physical Attack in the stat screen but I'm not sure why.

Nope. All base character stats are equal. If you feed buns to a character, their base stats increase. Odds are there's some wonkiness with an ability or something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

What exactly are these games?

Are they final fantasy but called something else?

I'm intrigued, but I bought dragon quest whatever and just put it down, so I'm hestitant.

The big thing they have is a combination of a pretty deep job system (there are a lot of jobs in this game, each of which has ~12 abilities, some of which are passive and some of which are active, and you can choose any 5 passives + 2 sets of active abilities) and a really neat action economy system. To put it quickly, you can bank extra turns by defending (which makes defending an interesting choice at times), and you can spend extra turns to take up to four actions at once. You can even borrow against future actions by spending yourself from 0 down to -3 at the start of a fight. Some abilities even cost extra actions to activate, and there are other abilities that will grant extra actions under certain conditions.

There's a lot of interesting design space and play space that opens up with the combination of the jobs and the action economy, and the game is not afraid to let you break it wide open.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

raditts posted:

They scale differently with what job they have when they level up, don't they?
Most of the stat boosts I've gotten have been defensive or JP/EXP orbs, I can't come up with a reason otherwise why he does way less damage than everyone else across the board.

Jobs modify base stats. All base stats are always equal across all characters unless you modify them with buns.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Weight's super annoying when it's like... "hey you found this cool new shield for your Vanguard! jk it'd put you two points over capacity so your stats will drop a ton".

Just let me use my cool dungeon loot, man...

Yeah, but it makes for interesting choices when you get/steal cool loot from the overworld bosses. A lot of the better weapons weigh something like 20-30, so even though you can get them super early, you can't actually use them without making major sacrifices to your other gear. By the time you can slot them in normally, you're rocking other equipment on the same power level and they're no longer exceptionally powerful and gamebreaking.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Turns out that there are ribbons in this game! You can get them in Chapter 5. The Cyclops boss south of Holograd has a Ribbon as its rare drop. Definitely not the easiest boss to take down, but also not too terrible. There are also a couple of other bosses in the area, Zeus and Susanoo, who have a powerful staff and an absolutely nuts sword respectively.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

For a village that worships dragons the fact we have the son of the local god hiding out in our backpack that could very easily defuse the situation going on here does not occur to ANYBODY in the party? I know they are already suspected of being fairies and all but what's gonna happen if they try? More suspicion?

Yeah, that whole area strikes me as one where the story would be perfectly fine if the party didn't have access to as many asterisks as they do. They have literally dozens of possible solutions to the situation at hand, many of which would outright prevent all of the bloodshed entirely. Instead, they just kind of sit there and say "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" over and over again. If it were the first area and they were freelancers with maybe a black mage crystal, then sure, but by the time that reviving the dead is a party trick, and one of the least powerful things that they can do, that sort of story really loses its impact.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Have you seen the kind of hits that we routinely take in combat from legendarily powerful enemies? If something hits you for 5,000 damage, it probably wouldn't exactly leave much of a corpse either.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

That being said though, was anybody else bothered by How when it was the priests daughter we just coulden't get there in time to do anything to stop her from being killed, but as soon as it's the hot flirty lady that used to have the Dragoon job suddenly THAT'S when Adelle decides to use the wings?

To be fair, the latter is a close personal friend of Adelle's, so she's willing to go the extra mile to protect her.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are also some mushroom enemies in a story required dungeon in Chapter 2 and if you have gambler's rare drop up on all your characters they drop magic attack up buns very consistently. :getin:

As a heads up, most random enemies have buns as either their rare drop or their rare steal. Running through the game with rare drop increases and some AOE stealing ends up netting you massive amounts of stat increases of various types.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I heard you cannot adjust the encounter rate in this?

Enemies run around the overworld and you get into a battle if you run into them (similar to Earthbound/Tales games). They run away from you if you're overleveled, and you can lure them in for multiple battles with bait.

On a different note, magic does get quite strong in the mid-late game once you start being able to combine multiple jobs, allowing it to crit, etc. My Red Mage was actually outdamaging my fighter for a bit towards the end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

If you could perhaps assume I know the basics of the upside of Area damage instead of being incredibly condescending then that would be good. I'm in Ch4 and running an auto attack mug/sweep build that one rounds everything. The dungeon I'm in has once again, taken nearly two hours to run through.

I think the dungeon pacing on this is badly off. Even if my build was off the experience of killing full packs in two rounds being so suboptimal as to make a dungeon take four times longer would still be ludicrous by almost any standard.

Mainly I don't think we're actually getting anywhere with discussing this so imma just call it there and try not to respond if I get needled more.

I just... how? If you're one rounding things, then each battle is what, 20 seconds, maybe 30? And if you fight enough things, they'll start running away from you? You are on speed 4 for trash encounters, right? You're also using Y to repeat commands, right?

I mean yeah, there are a couple of dungeons that are super long, but those tend to be climactic end chapter areas with multiple places to teleport out to take a break. A lot of dungeons loop back on themselves, which can make getting all the treasures kind of a pain, but even with getting all the treasures it doesn't take that long.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, they're loving hilarious.

(same end-game spoilers)

The passives DOUBLE UP AND STACK if you wield two of them. My Adelle has two instances of Last Resort, which given that she sits at 1 HP all the time, means she cranks out 99,999 damage non-crit Death's Doors.

Even better, they stack if you equip the ability too. Dual thief knives with the rob blind passive equipped as well means that you steal 4 copies of items from enemies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah that's definitely weird. I guess the Basuna spirit is wiping it out. I never noticed because I never bothered casting Regen once at level 12, although it sucks Reraise gets wiped (even though I just ran white mage as the sub for Arise anyway). Its also a little confusing since there's not really any reason for Basunabringer and Purebringer to be active at the same time, and it also has the knockon effect of disabling Beserk.

The job itself is still insanely good though lol - the passive HP/MP regen and status clears make your whole team really tanky.

Spiritmaster is one of those jobs where you will occasionally want it to be a main job, and occasionally not want it to be a main job. Starting out a battle with all those buffs in place is fantastic for short fights, and even sometimes fantastic for longer fights where buffing is difficult or even disadvantageous. On the other hand, sometimes you want to be able to put reraise and regen into place and are content with just one spirit at a time, and for that situation it's best to make it a sub job.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I run at 2x speed because 4x speed gives me a headache. But yes I know all of the above. The important thing to note is, if you just play the game without grinding then enemies will never get to the point that they run away from you in level appropriate dungeons. So you end up fighting everything and even with fights lasting 30 seconds dungeons are long as sin.

Just did a fairly unscientific test on a late game fight with unskippable intro cutscenes. My characters ended the fight in 8 actions (2 characters took 4 actions with short animation times - late game job spoilers Minus Strike targeting all, 3x mimic).

From touching the enemy to first input took ~20 seconds (again, this was unskippable, an ordinary fight would have cut this down to ~10 seconds or so)

Speed 4 took ~13 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Speed 2 took ~30 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Of course, counterattacks are going to majorly impact this as well.

I'm not trying to discount your experience, but I do want to point out to other people in the thread that much of your concern with dungeons taking forever is self-imposed. Speed 2 is extremely slow, and even when I'm fighting a boss where I want to know every action/counter that they do, I put it at speed 3.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I appreciate that.

Deep in I'm built perfectly to sweep everything in autos. I did the ch5 final dungeon and timed it to you guessed it, two hours, thirty minutes per segment. But that was honestly a much much better dungeon overall because of how it's split.

It's a difference in philosophy on these games. The fact that these games have tools to bypass the issues I'm having is great. The difficulty slider is to be lauded and even though I don't like the removal of the encounter slider, ward light is a decent substitution. The same can be said of the encounter speed alteration.

But to me if I'm examining a game I need to look at the base experience of what that game looks like absent those. It seems really bizarre that the argument is that I'm playing the game wrong by not running encounters at 4x speed with a build that perfectly sweeps them. Often where I wasn't perfect sweeping for example, I was in a transition period where a lot of my dudes were in jobs to just get JP.

I feel like the game should have its encounter rate/experience/jp curve around the idea that encounters should be meaningful, you shouldn't want to oneround everything and storm through at 4x speed and it's a mark against the game, in my view, that that's the expectation. That's the place that my criticism about pacing is coming from.

That's absolutely fair; there are games paced such that every encounter is meaningful, teaches you something (especially about the upcoming boss), and difficult.

In my opinion, the Bravely series really isn't about that though; the design goal seems to be typically to come up with a way to splatter the encounters across the walls quickly and easily (being able to Brave x 4 makes for a hell of an alpha strike), and the challenge is in chaining fights together (since that limits your alpha strikes substantially), farming efficiently, killing bosses, and killing rare monsters. Breaking the power curve of the game is very much expected. For the most part, I think a lot of players play the first few encounters with new enemies a little slower to swap out passives and active abilities to kill them easily, and then speed everything up to sweep the regular encounters. Bosses and rare monsters are more tests of endurance and require a completely different approach to a normal fight. Adapting to those challenges, integrating new job abilities, and having fun with tweaking how you fight encounters is what makes me like these games.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Is there any way to increase infliction rates beyond (job/ability spoiler) the Phantom's level 12 specialty? especially one that's not a specialty because it's a pain in the rear end to combine them.

I feel like they were trying to lean on afflictions as a tool but holy poo poo it feels like they never land! There's a loading screen tip that says that it increases with level and magical attack, but...

Yes, one of the jobs you get in the snow area can increase status effect landing rates. It's still a bit hit or miss though, unfortunately.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

wokow6 posted:

I'm on chapter 4, and I feel conflicted about the story and characters.

Reminder that BD's story twist happens after you deal with all four crystals. I'm neither going to confirm nor deny a twist in Bravely Default 2, but if there is a twist, you haven't yet dealt with all four of the crystals.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

kidfresca posted:

I hated the Lost Woods-esque area. All I wanted to do was to take a look at all routes to get the treasure chests, but 70% of the paths put you back near the beginning. That was the only one that frustrated me, and a map wouldn't have helped.

There's actually a clue as to which paths send you backwards if you can see a cluster of yellow mushrooms while standing next to an exit, it will send you backwards. It's never mentioned though, and the only reason I bothered to look for it is that I played Secret of Evermore growing up, which had a similar system.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I tried the last salve-maker skill as well but the "makes that family type take vulnerable damage" doesn't seem to ever do anything? Unless it's an effect that bosses just keep resisting, like how I've yet to see a status-aliment bomb actually inflict its aliment on anything that wasn't immune to it.

I think it's a buff instead of a debuff from the one time I tried it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of the bosses that wiped me multiple times had a "counter when any ability is used" counter that gave them +1bp so it was literally impossible to not have them at 3BP unless you want to autoattack a boss and single target heal with hi potions, which cannot keep up with their dmg output.

Sure, there's going to be a point where the murder train leaves the station but the fights before that point get real stupid at times unless you just go in with a team to alpha strike the boss dead at a moment's notice (beastmaster is pretty amazing for this but godspeed strike takes less prep time and ultimately hits harder).

Yeah, it's kind of interesting how you either build for survivability and sustain, or you go all in and just crush the enemy in one fell swoop. Right now I'm fighting an endgame optional boss Gwydion where I have a setup that basically makes two characters immortal while the other two characters get healed to full and then sacrifice all of their health to chunk the boss's health down rapidly (and die to the boss's damage reflection in the process). It's funny because I end up with so much extra BP that I end up having the two immortal healers smack the boss with sticks just to burn off the excess.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Is weight locked by your class or can you level it somehow? I'd be pretty day if I can never carry these two weapons in trying to fit in Adelle.

Does anyone know if any unique and essential quest rewards not to be missed? I have about 300 quests right now and most of the ones I've done so far don't actually reward anything useful.

Class and level affect weight.

There are some really good quest rewards, and most of them trigger when one of your party members wants to do a sidequest. There's usually some cutscene and more story about them that is worth watching and you often get a neat accessory at the end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

It can apparently increase drop-rate and money, but can't you just use Thief's "Mag Pie" + Steal for the former (and the latter is kind of irrelevant since I always have way more cash than I know what to do with in this game)?

There are some enemies where drops are not the same as steals, and in that case, the rare drop up is really really nice. Leaving it on as you run around dungeons nets you a lot of random rare weapons, items, and booster buns too.

That being said, aoe stealing from enemies with magpie is another good way to get those things, and if you can spare it, it's worth doing both just to get those incidentally useful items as you go.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Impermanent posted:

im sorry. i got it the first time. i think i skipped you in the RNG queue.(also i have 4x rare talent, that helps a lot!)

Funnily enough, I'm not sure that rare talent helps. It specifically makes rare drops more frequent, and the rare drops are actually the JP orbs, while the normal drops are the thing you actually want. It's super frustrating, because rare drops are so much easier to get than common drops.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a post on Gamefaqs suggesting that the weapons are in the common drop slot, but with a low rate. You can't steal them either.

You can get multiple weapons per fight, but it doesn't change that some weapons are just more common.
The vanguard sword is much more common than the vanguard shield, and much more common than any of the other weapons in its fight.

You can check the drops in the lore page. Vanguard actually has the shield as the common drop and the sword as the rare drop, and Bastion has the same setup.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even with just one rare talent I have gotten so much good poo poo from trash mobs. Too bad it sounds like it doesn't work where you need it

It just doesn't work on some very very endgame content. Running rare talent throughout the game is a fantastic idea, and you'll get a lot of equipment, consumables, buns, and orbs randomly as you fight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just fought the shield Knight but I didn't spec my party for him because I didn't want all the jp to go to waste.

That was tough! This one monster he had on his side was annoying as gently caress and immune to basically everything.

One tip for crap like that is that if monsters are specifically resistant to weapons (rather than physical attacks in general), try unequipping them and just punching the bastards. Fists have no element or weapon type to resist, and are surprisingly effective against certain irritating enemies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

What's the end game xp grind strategy? I'm at 61 but finally hit a brick wall with (ch6 spoilers) the berserker challenge portal one-shotting my party and I can't do enough damage to him first turn. Even rare monsters are only giving about 5k xp. I can do the other ones, but they give maybe 7k exp and take 3 times as long (though I think I'm set on giant jp orbs).

Also what's a good sub class for vanguard? I had it as my swordmaster sub to get it's specialties but I just got the point where the vanguard on it's own does more damage and has higher weight.

Honestly, I just farmed the other portals. I was looking for ~4 of each of most of the weapons anyway. There are growth eggs available from a side quest in the dragon cave, and a second set of growth eggs later on in the final village.

As far as dealing with the turn 1, swordmasters with ninefold flurry can make mincemeat of most bosses. Toss on dual wield, the beastmaster passives, and whatever else you want, and they'll tear anything apart. I'd honestly suggest getting a beastmaster spear so that you can ensure the swordmasters go first and have all the passives to make brave x4 + ninefold flurry hit like a train.

If you're really struggling, Hellblade and Red Mage combine in a hilarious way with one of the final Hellblade moves and Red Mage passives...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

^burtle posted:

What do I need for Godspeed hitting everyone?

Be at the very end of the game. The game makes it quite clear when you get to that point.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Does this mean there is a way to make one character's Godspeed be multi-target?

The poo poo you can pull in the very endgame is hilarious.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really like having a varied set of jobs in these games- no one sharing the same one unless it's to level it up but holy poo poo I was getting mad at the W/R/R/V trial so I said gently caress it and had a shieldbearer with salvemaker and 3 assassins/thiefs godspeed everyone straight to hell..

This is kind of absurd, this won't work on everything right?

The game has at lest one trick up its sleeve, but once you have one strong damage alpha, you're pretty much good to go. Have fun with the weapons though! The poo poo you can pull is really funny. If you want to see absurd damage, check out Hellblade and Ultima strike with Red Mage Convert HP/MP

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think there is, but I also don't think the game really intends for you to change your strategy to avoid the counters in most cases, especially as you get later in the game and the counters get broader and broader- they're often just the way the bosses get any edge at all against your overpoweredness and you just have to power past them in turn. Granted this isn't particularly well conveyed

Yeah, especially in the late game when bosses just straight up get a counter to any ability that gives them 1 BP. It's not a 100% fire rate, but it's frequent enough that regardless of what you do, there's no way to keep them from getting turn(s) in on you short of killing them outright.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The only "counter" that's ever made me just plain angry is "Reflect Physical Damage" because gently caress yoooouuuuuuu.

To be fair, that was literally the only thing stopping me from one-shotting the final fights since the reflected damage meant that I couldn't brave multiple giant hits together.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God Chapter 5 boss character spoilers but they don't even tell you why Edna went crazy. You're told several times she loved humans but she came out went nutso and just started being evil because ??? Then she's just never really mentioned again outside one or two lines.

More I think about the story more bummed I get.

Yeah, Edna was a really big missed opportunity. Adelle talks about her a lot, and she's the driving force behind everything that goes on in the plot. And then we see her and she just kind of... disappears? We never hear about her again, we never dive into what happened, and all of the focus shifts immediately to the Night's Nexus.

I was convinced for a while that Edna was going to turn out to have been the old Faerie Queen, especially since the 4th member of the previous warriors of light was never shown in the flashbacks, but that didn't happen. I mean, I liked the reveal about the old boat lady being the faerie queen, and it explained the amusing situation of her being around in the middle of active war zones, but the game really should have tied something else to Edna at any point.

Edit: Compare her to Golbez and it's not even close. Not every villain needs a redemption arc or to have everything fully explained, but a cursory examination of how the Night's Nexus influenced her could have been the key to figuring out how to destroy it permanently.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 13, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Ultimately my endgame team setup was two Freelancer/Thief with Ringmaster's Spear and Sword of Light, a Freelancer/Salve-Maker with Ringmaster's Spear, and a Freelancer/Arcanist with Crescent Cane. Use the abilities that make attacking multiple targets use full damage. With all of my jobs maxed out the Freelancer just has raw stats in everything and basically I x4 Godspeed Strike'd all the bosses, used Mimic with the non Arcanist characters or threw an Elixir on my entire team, and used Meteor with my Arcanist.

I used two Freelancer/Hellblade (Red Sword/Sword of Light), and two White Mage/Spiritmasters (WM Staff/whatever). Ultima blade can hit the entire enemy team for 99,999 guaranteed with convert HP/MP. The two spiritmasters ensure that the entire team is being healed, revived, purged, etc. every single turn, and can fully recharge the HP of the attackers whenever necessary. I slotted the monk HP doubling passive into everyone. It was basically impossible for the team to ever die for any reason at any point, and while the attackers would die repeatedly if the enemy had physical reflect, it was completely irrelevant since they could be revived instantly at any point with full health. The healers actually ended up with so much extra BP when fighting Gwydion that I had to actually have them use the attack command to burn off extra BP to keep the spirits active (he absorbs light, so the spiritmaster attack spells weren't helpful).

And against anything short of Gwydion, two ultima blades killed the entire enemy team and ignored every gimmick that they might have had. You can even swap out one of the swords for the blessing shield to go Ultima Blade -> Cura -> Ultima Blade for 99,999 twice in a single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

I think one of the big reasons why everything feels tonally off is because of how inconsistent they are about the characters.

Some of the characters it's implied that the asterisks are what corrupted them, others are mind-controlled and others are just pieces of poo poo. In the prior two games the characters were the asterisks, and so it was more about the character themselves than just the asterisks they hold. The evil or bad characters all end up killed and their actions are almost immediately forgotten so I was halfway expecting another loop scenario to explore those characters again and their motivations but, nope, they're just dead dead. Even the first big bad Adam just ends up dying off unceremoniously and then I guess we're on good terms with Holograd now?

I was really, really hoping they would play up the angle of the asterisks corrupting people and that the twist would be something along the lines of how we slowly would become the bad guys as the asterisks corrupt us and give us ever more flimsy excuses to flex our newfound power, but no, that never happens.

Rand Brittain posted:

Gladys is basically awful, but then finds out she's actually been killing a bunch of real people and immediately pivots, so it's like... I guess her real sin was being incredibly stupid, like, good lord.

I think towards they actually mention that her parents actually got judgmented to death too, and Helio someone maneuvered her into blaming this on fairies. It also seems like Rimedahl must have been doing this for quite a while, so it's weird that nobody else has notice that Rimedahl is loving insane. I can't help noticing that Rimedahl contributes nothing to the final battle except the dragon.

I like the idea that she started down the path of redemption, but was then killed (which itself was hilarious because the party could have cured her with a snap of their fingers). It was somewhat refreshing to see that she didn't get a full redemption arc, and that the feelings of the townsfolk towards her were somewhat complicated in the end.