Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've been playing this for while but I'm not sure about some of the subtler mechanics. Does a subjob provide any benefit beside the ability to use that jobs abilities? Is there any difference between a mastered sub-job vs an unmastered? Does anything change once you can start getting lvl 13-15 jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nullEntityRNG posted:

So there are certain abilities that will either grant you the specialities of the subjob (Subjob specialization 1 or 2) or the stat weapon proficiencies. Certain jobs as well. For example Swordmaster, with two swords equipped will grant all the specialities of the sub class. (Some weapons can do this too).

Past that, yup, just the abilities are available when you choose a sub job and nothing more. You typically want to do something that compliments the main job attributes and skills.

Cool. I was afraid I wasn't quite grasping the mechanics, but I'm only in chapter3 and haven't unlocked the chapter 3 jobs yet so it seems like I don't have the ability to break the game yet. I'm playing on hard mode and getting to the point where common-mobs are huge drag-out fights for now but I'm sure that will change once I get some of the more esoteric skills like sub-job specialty etc. In the mean time I'm just going around with thieves/beastmasters/freelancers and maximizing my JP gains plus stealing weapons etc. from the overworld rare encounters.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My main complaint about this game compared to DQ11 is the QoL stuff, the in-game monster references and quests and maps etc etc all of that is much worse then DQ11. I'd also say that DQ11 has much better pacing at the beginning of the game. But I can't judge too much yet because I'm just not that far in BD2 yet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
FFV also has recurring characters like Gilgamesh, plus the multiple worlds also the pacing for how you get jobs 4 at a time after fighting a boss rather then one at a time makes a lot more sense.

You can also tell they weren't able to do things they wanted to do. I'm pretty sure when you get poisoned at the earth that Seth should have permanent poison affect on him that would be cured at the next story beat. But instead he's poisoned, you heal it trivially with an antidote and then you move on. Why'd they even bother?

Oh well, still a good game, but definitely not a memorable game and no reason to play through it again imo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god, I don’t know how we didn’t bring up Battle on the Big Bridge until now.

Oh yea. Also cools parts where you had to avoid the desert because of super-strong at the time enemies. The various chocobo's you got and how the map was gated uniquely for each, the flying vehicles. All those things are crucial for world building and a memorable game experience. FFV was such a good game. :allears:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Will a shield master absorb the physical reflect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

black.lion posted:

The eyeglass says weak to [white magic icon] so what are they weak to?

Capture some Petunia's. They cast banishra when released. It's the strongest light magic attack you will get for quite a while. It's also extremely useful vs many enemies and bosses and the bosses you are fighting will die to two of them.