Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m wondering if they hastily threw this demo together because of COVID-19, because I echo all of the sentiments about the bad UI, no Default button, no turn order forecast, overly aggressive enemies, lovely overworld camera, etc. it’s rough. I’m gonna put as much detail as possible into the survey, hopefully they listen. I think I recall they took a lot of stuff from the surveys into consideration for Octopath Traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://youtu.be/fO50YB_cjXU

They listened to our feedback, here’s the result.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In the first game I had mgrgr lady as a Pirate with some absurdly powerful axe and some attack that always hit for max damage combined with a BP battery mage casting position/esuna over and over or whatever the crazy combo was.

Anyway it owned but I couldn’t get into Bravely Second.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well, well, well

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1339413038731042818?s=21

Who didn’t see this coming? I’m gonna grab it tomorrow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It means they are going to attack soon, they did that in lieu of an actually telling you the turn order.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand why we can't get turn order in a game in 2020

If you watch the video about the feedback they got from the first demo, they thought it would make the game too easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just saw on Twitter that Famitsu gave this game a 36/40, if their scores still matter to people.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/bravely-default-ii?ref=hp

80/100 so far, which isn’t bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeathSandwich posted:

It's probably like FF6 Realm and Sketch.

That’s exactly what it is, yeah. I think the new jobs and shake ups of existing jobs are cool (Red Mage has its own set of spells instead of just using low-level black & white ones) so hopefully that will keep my attention long enough to get through the game, if it is a slog.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Making the game check to see who you had and adjusting cutscenes based on that would've been cool but it also would've been a hell of a lot of work that they likely had neither time nor resources for.

Lookit dis scrub who never played Chrono Cross.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks to whoever mentioned grinding JP early on to max Freelancer, that was not really all that bad. I’d rather grind a bit now so I don’t have to later. I also spent a ton of battles spamming Forage and just letting the guest kill the enemies so now I have tons and tons of items. Hopefully I can keep rolling through the story now without getting stuck on any hard bosses.

The game is definitely charming so far and feels a lot more like the earlier games than the original demo did which is nice. I’m looking forward to continuing on and seeing what kind of weird, multi-dimensional hijinks my teams gets into.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

Let's play a game! It's called how many sidequests are in this area:

Not sure? Let's take a closer look!

Okay once more, a little closer!

If you answered 2, you're wrong!

If you anwered "gently caress this game and it's stupid sidequest design," you're a winner!

Wait, when do those show up??

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

I've not played a Bravely game before and I'm kinda sad at just how hard this feels. I don't like that the enemies are running away from me in the world but the boss battles require me to just use everything.
I wish Casual made it genuinely actually easy so I could see the cool classes and the game but not have to do super long fights.

I did the (chapter 1 stuff) bard fight and that was hard enough but the beastmaster took me ages and I just don't have the patience for that sorta thing.

I've played loads of JRPGs and this is the first big name one that just doesn't click for me. The whole brave/default thing sucks and I really don't like storing up actions.

Random battles are about beating the enemies as quickly as possible. The game lets you brave as many times as you want even if it puts you in a deficit, use that to clear out trash mobs quickly. Bosses definitely require more strategy, you’ll want to build up BP so your characters aren’t stuck being unable to do anything for several turns. Don’t be afraid to reload and readjust your abilities & equipment before fighting the boss again. But the game always gives you the tools to defeat bosses, you just have to figure out which ones to use.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

I'm 10 hours in, I know how it works. I just don't like it, my mind doesn't work like that and I really can't plan ahead. Especially since it doesn't tell me who is going next!
If I can't play entirely in the moment I can't play - which is why normally I just play these games on easy but "easy" here isn't actually easy.

I genuinely don't want to spend time learning how to beat a boss, I just wanna move on. It reminds me a bit of pillars of eternity 1 - before it had story mode changing the difficulty just lowered the density of the mobs and it wasn't enough, I want to breeze through this fight and play the game now thanks

This is clearly not the game for you, then. Part of the appeal of Bravely Default and Bravely Second was the difficult boss fights, at least for me. A lot of it was figuring out ways to break the game by doing ridiculous amounts of damage or giving all of your characters max BP every turn.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I haven't been able to find much on the subject but is it ever worthwhile to not equip a second weapon/shield in the off hand? Is it just a straight stat/damage upgrade?

The trade off is increased weight and I think for a second weapon the stats are diminished. Maybe there’s a dual wield skill later? As for a shield, yeah it’s weight and iirc you get less of a benefit if the character’s class isn’t proficient in shields.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Game is worth is solely based on Elvis’s accent IMO, I could listen to him refer to cats as Moggy-Woggies all day

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have gotten a couple sidequests asking me to collect some material I have no idea where from that unlike other gathering quests doesn't appear on the map.

You can pull up the list of side quests under Travelogue and change which ones are marked on your map. You can only have three side quests active at once so if you already have three active you’ll have to deactivate one before you can activate another one. Hope that helps!

Edit: I don’t think there’s a way to look at a history of completed side quests, though, which is kinda stupid considering they’re already numbered. Maybe they could also be highlighted when they’re available, too? Or would that be too user friendly?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh at the time I already had 3 sidequests so that would make sense why it never appeared. Thanks.

It also won’t automatically activate an inactive quest when you complete an active one which is bad design IMO

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trials of Mana got one or two two large content patches so idk it’s kind of a toss up. They fixed some stupid poo poo and added more difficulty levels, since the game was way too easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The sheer amount of counters bosses and their friends have are ridiculous, I agree. It might not be so terrible if they triggered less often or even if when you examined the enemies their counters showed up as part of the info.

Also the card game is really good and it has pretty good music, too. Does any one know what kind of prizes you can get for collecting a lot of cards? I’m not going to sink too much time into it if there isn’t a good reward later on.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The dumbest counter I’ve seen so far was the snakey boi in the Beastmaster fight countering singing. Like bro, for real? I just braved three times to use singing skills and now my bard is dead, cool.

Then again I had a cat once who loving hated singing, when we would sing happy birthday he would come into the room and yowl loudly and then bite people.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The pro-strat in Bravely Default was to equip that Red Mage(?) ability that gave a character 1 BP when they were afflicted by a negative status then having a Red Mage cast Poison on your whole party three times then Esuna to remove it. Then you could endlessly spam that Pirate attack that did 4x damage or Godspeed Strike or whatever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Andrast posted:

So your advice for someone thinking the dungeons are too long is to waste time grinding *before* the dungeon so the dungeons are a bit faster? :psyduck:

Yes, the total amount of time will be less. Grind a little bit now to save time later.

Edit: I found decent weapons in the grass in the underground waterway, what you find is dependent on the area and gets better as the story progresses. Probably not worth going out of your way to do but still not useless.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Bernard’s Mansion I had Seth as Beastmaster with a pitchfork and the ability that lets you go first with a spear equipped then just did Mow Down over and over on the human enemies and beat most of them in like 20 seconds lol

I also grabbed a bunch of Minotaurs who are absurdly powerful. Beastmaster is pretty cool.

Edit: Dungeons seems like a reasonable length to me. Then again I am also playing Astral Chain rn and the chapters in that game are loooooooooong so maybe my perspective is kinda skewed.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When you all talk about Berserker/Monk you mean a Berserker with Monk as the sub job and bare-knuckle brawler? Or do you keep a weapon on them?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

go with whatever has the higher attack power for you, axes get better after a point and there is an ability that makes weapon use better later as well

Eh my best axe is only slightly stronger than bare fists rn and the weight difference is huge

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

*wanders in fields of flowers for four hours* eh nothing of interest here pack it up boys

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The story in Chapter 2 is extremely hosed up. I was not expecting something so creepy and intense but it worked really well. Story is good so far. Elvis rules.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did the survey Nintendo sent me about this game and complained about how poorly implemented side quests are and also the lack of a map in dungeons and how annoying all the boss counters are. If everybody does the survey maybe they’ll get the message??

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I disagree, the sewers/Institute maps were confusing as hell and I hated them lol

I’m at the end of ch 2 that was the worst one so far.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had the rare drop ability on two of my characters in the sewer/Institute dungeon and now I have 35 mythril shields, what do I do with all of these???

But seriously, it’s funny to get a rare drop and be like “ooh neat” and then get 27 more and no longer be impressed :geno:

Edit: I’m currently struggling in random battles because I want to level up new jobs but none of the ones I’m using are good at clearing mobs. I was digging Elvis as a Red Mage with Black Magic sub for major destruction with Chainspell but I want to level him up in new jobs. Pictomancer is kinda eh apart from that one amazing ability.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 10, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Salve-Maker boss was a stupid rear end in a top hat but I somehow managed to limp my way through. Really taking the absurdity of counters up to 11.

Does that boss’s big annoying counter attack count as physical? If so, I guess I’m gonna level up all my characters in Archer...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made Adelle a mastered Beastmaster with sub Berserker and bare-knuckle brawler and she punches every enemy to death on her first turn :yeshaha:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The amount of JP you get from the orbs is affected by the JP Up skills so it might make more sense to use the orbs after you have the skills.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

You may want to use them to level Gambler too since they have a chance of nullifying JP gains.

This is what I ended up doing because gently caress All Or Nothing, like I can’t get too excited about getting 15x JP once when I got none 15 times...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

Does Gambler's JP gain nullification and/or random multiplication apply to everyone, or just the Gambler?

I'm wondering if you can do 10-battle chains outside the prologue town with a full team of Gamblers and just eventually luck into maxing out Gambler for everyone all at once

Just for them, unless it causes you to get 0 Pg in which case I guess that technically affects everyone :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fadam posted:

I have a ton of beasts in the bank but it doesn’t feel like the Beastmaster passive is doing anything, how does it work exactly?

If you’re talking about their mastery ability, it literally just boosts the character’s stats. If you try to change from lv 12 Beastmaster to another job, you’ll notice that their stats drop off dramatically. Tbh it’s kind of absurd how huge the stay boost is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

stev posted:

From what I've seen here and other places people seem to think it's a great game overall with a whole bunch of flaws.

For me a proper quest log would do wonders. I'm still not particularly sold on the story either.

Yeah, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The good outweighs the bad and once the job system gets going it becomes really fun to experiment with different ways to kill things quickly lol

I was reading a review that criticized the game’s obsession with grinding but tbh I got everyone to lv 12 Freelancer in under an hour using chain battles and haven’t needed to grind since.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I like that they wanted to make it so you couldn’t always brute force every fight and had to come up with a strategy, but they did it in the most obnoxious way possible.

Counter-savvy is incredible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

Bloody Shield -> Hero's Shield is a Bravely series staple, though it is probably a FF6 reference specifically yeah.

Out of curiosity, when can you pick them up?

In FFVI it was Cursed Shield->Paladin Shield