Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it just seems wrong that you don't choose everybody's moves all at once anymore

Haha wait what? I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet. How does the game determine who goes first then? Is it stat based (speed?) or something? I will download it later but I am super curious. I can't even visualize how it works, you just pick as their order comes up and you have no idea what that is? I must be misunderstanding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok cool, thanks for clarifying. I figured it was something like that but was having trouble imagining the mechanics in a Bravely game. It sounds...not great to be honest but I will check it out later tonight.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm liking the gameplay so far but man this game runs like complete poo poo. Like I can't believe how badly optimized it is, especially relative to the visuals which are middling at best. The load times are bad and the sheer number of them is annoying. I even get a weird lag in the menus sometimes. They really need to get some patches out.

Just in chapter 1, started last night. Chained in the beach for 30 minutes and maxed out Freelancer. Black mage seems to be pretty ehhhh. A lot of MP to do the same or less damage as Freelancer.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

The bolded is wildly incorrect. The Switch has sold more units in 4 years than the 3DS did in 10.

:psyduck: Octopath sold that well? I couldn't get into it at all.

Octopath mined nostalgia at a time where there was a lull between JRPG remasters. Frankly it was a pretty mediocre game and the story/character interaction was awful.

BD2 is weird and kinda meh for different reasons but ultimately the job system carries it despite the flaws. I have a laundry list of complaints about the game - technical mess, lovely characters, bad writing, uneven difficulty, below average visuals and so on. Yet I still keep playing because unlocking jobs and combinations is pretty fun. Definitely didn't have that with Octopath.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Partway through Chapter 2, man the Ranger dungeon sucks. Oh boy a maze @_@ So did the Sewers for Red Mage. I had been over grinding and was still under level for it oddly enough. The magic institute itself was really cool and they should've made that the entire dungeon, what a wasted opportunity.

So far my magic casters basically do no loving damage unless they hit an elemental weakness and even then its usually less than my beastmaster/berserker. I've got a Monk/Thief with godspeed strike hitting for around 2.5k, I assume this gets even more nuts later? I farmed speed buns for 10 minutes but gave up out of boredom. It's hitting much harder than anything else I can do right now but it's not the instant boss destroyer people made it out to be. Perhaps I am just early and it scales up to bonkers. Or should I be doing Thief/Monk with GSS?

Right now I've been running Monk/Thief, Beastmaster/Berserker, White Mage/Red Mage and Bard/Red Mage. I'm thinking of subbing out the bard entirely, I don't know if the buffs are worth it vs just getting another attacker and I obviously don't need a magic attacker because this game doesn't seem to give a poo poo about magic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm at chapter 5 and the game is just OK. The characters and writing aren't grabbing me at all. Rimedhal is the only really interesting area and the dungeon design is tedious in general. The sidequest design is so loving tedious and reminds me of Xenoblade 2 where the developers seem to determined to piss off their audience. Its annoying padding at best. The battle system carries the game but finding Godspeed Strike has really made the rest of it less important. I still think the games technical issues really drag it down too - the frequent and overlong loads, odd hitching/lag in the interface and etc.

What are some broken magic combinations I can fart around with? Right now nothing touches Godspeed Strike. I have a character who trash clears with full force, sky high and some other stuff but for bosses it seems like nothing beats Godspeed Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm finished with this game and it was pretty unsatisfying. It feels like there are huge sections of content missing, I don't know if this is a pandemic thing or not. It seems like the game entirely lacks a true post-game section or dungeon.
This felt like a 6/10 for me.

You finally get the last asterisk and use it against all of two things. The story really peters out into nonsense and the characterization was threadbare despite a significant play clock. The job system and variety it entailed was really the high point of the game but I never felt like I got to really go nuts with it. The halls of tribulations felt really lazily thrown together but were the only significant challenge in the game. Grinding them for a bit of gear that you never get to use anywhere is pointless though. It's a shame because the systems and mechanics came together in fun ways but you didn't get to do much with them. I guess there is new game plus though I'm not sure I want to bother.

The game had a lot of technical annoyances that really detracted from the experience for me too, I probably ran up 4 hours of staring at that stupid loading lantern by the end. The high points of the game to me were the music, world design was solid and the job system. I will also credit them for attempting to give the characters a bit of inter-party banter in the party chats, something that was glaringly missing from most of Octopath unless you really sought it out.