Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't like what I'm hearing here. I really want this game to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got this game, I loving loved BD1 and thought BS was good but a bit less inspired. Haven’t loaded it up yet, but from what I hear the battle system is still good and the art style is identical. Question is, how’s the plot and party banter? Is it on the level of BD1 or BS?

Anything I should be worried about going in, e.g. places where it’s worse than previous games?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having fun so far in I think chapter 1. It's definitely more Bravely Default! :v:

I really hope the story goes places that BD1 and BS went, that was really fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game definitely feels a little bit harder than the other two, but not so much that it’s unfun. Granted, I’m early on so I don’t have a lot of jobs yet, but I’ve been able to get through it just fine even if I’m not steamrolling everything. :shrug: Game’s great AFAICT.

Do people really have an issue with the game?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have done zero grinding and haven’t had a problem at all. Are you all trying to master the jobs as soon as you get them...?

Your Computer posted:

I just finished it, and as the world's biggest Bravely Default fan it didn't *quite* reach that level of amazing for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it's great!

This is after being extremely skeptical due to the demos, but it turns out they thought about most of the things I was worried about and it just didn't show in the demos.

I am also pleasantly surprised! I’m enjoying it a lot so far.

stev posted:

From what I've seen here and other places people seem to think it's a great game overall with a whole bunch of flaws.

For me a proper quest log would do wonders. I'm still not particularly sold on the story either.

Harrow posted:

The story isn't as strong as BD1 and a quest log would be very much appreciated, but otherwise I really like it. The cast grew on me really quickly, too.

I haven’t had any problems managing my quests. What are people having trouble with?

As for the story, it’s gonna be real fuckin’ hard to outdo BD1’s story highpoints. I loved all the (BD1 spoilers) twists on the stereotypical FF story and how the game used its narrative structure and elements to surprise the player and mess with their assumptions. There’s no putting that genie back in its bottle. That said, even BD1’s story got slow and boring at times, so it’s not that hard to be on its level otherwise.

Inflammatory posted:

i'm at the presumably final dungeon in ch4 and my main complaints are the lack of a quest log, dungeons sometimes feeling too big and meandering, and that there's no summoner job because the summons in bd1/bs were rad as hell.

I’ll echo this tho, but I think that’s just kind of an issue with RPGs overall these days. Quantity over quality. Dungeons are never good outside of Zelda.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Communist Thoughts posted:

but thinking about it, i'm in chapter 3 now i think, and i haven't actually really enjoyed a boss battle yet. they're either trivial or just bamboozle me with counters and i scrape through.

I mean, I’m only on chapter one, but I haven’t had any issue with boss fights. They’re challenging, and I scraped through a couple, but they’ve never felt unfair or unfun.

What difficulty are you on?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also freelancer is a perfectly good job and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's unfortunate when an enemy has a counter but it's never lost the battle for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Inflammatory posted:

oh my god i found the quest log. go into the travelogue and press x. it doesn't tell you about any quests you might've missed, but at least you can switch the active objectives.

Hahahaha I knew it, you all missed that part of the tutorial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyway, I’m at the second major dungeon in Savalon, and I’m having trouble coming up with good job synergies. It seems like everything calls for healing as some sort of sub-job (Bard, Monk, Freelancer), and the rest mostly stand on their own (with the exception of White Mage which suggests making them a damage sponge :wtc:). Everyone’s just kind of whatever right now and I haven’t found any good combos other than Monk/Vanguard for Cross Cut and WHM/BLM for heals+damage. Any recs?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The producer from BD1 is also on BD2 as a co-producer, but every other key member including the writers are all new people. One of the writers has no other credited game on English Wiki, the other only has credit on one of the ditched extra bits of FF15.

I'm not looking at spoilers but it’s definitely a huge shame that BD2 doesn’t seem to be actually trying to do anything interesting with the standard “save the 4 crystals” story format like the first game did.

I am extremely sad that I read this and the previous few posts, minus the other posts’ spoilered parts. :cripes: The weird and cool poo poo they did in BD1 (and to a much lesser extent in BS) is one of the big draws for Bravely Default for me. If they don’t have that, then why am I playing this game?

Might put the game down for a while now.

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol they've tricked me into buying so many bravely sequels now

I know, god. What’ll it take for something on the level of repeating the story over again, learning more about the true identity of the weirdest character in the game each time, then realizing that actually fixing things involves destroying the crystals not saving them, then realizing that actually no, you need to avoid destroying them long enough to get a shot at beating up the metauniversal demon hijacking their power?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, it’s still a good game, it just...could be so much better story-wise. :sigh:

I wonder how much of BD2’s end state is influenced by COVID.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I’m beginning to hate my party as of late chapter 1. Any advice on good combos?

MC: Monk/Vanguard, beat poo poo up with Attack or Heroics
Gloria: Beastmaster/White Mage, spear things and unleash monsters, heal otherwise
Elvis: Bard/Black Mage, mostly Singing right now cause Bard’s MATK kinda sucks
Gloria: Vanguard/Monk, same as MC

And yes, I’m fighting Bernard.

I have found surprisingly few job combos so far. I actually feel underpowered instead of overpowered like I usually do in BD.

Edit: the more thinking I do, the more I realize that Vanguard is actually pretty crappy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also why the gently caress does optimize keep putting a spear in my bard’s hands? Why? Why?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was reading a review that criticized the game’s obsession with grinding but tbh I got everyone to lv 12 Freelancer in under an hour using chain battles and haven’t needed to grind since.

Good lord. What chapter?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 16, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:cripes: okay game whatever you say

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m beginning to think there are no good combos in Chapter 1.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bare-Knuckle Brawler on a mastered Beastmaster, you’re welcome.

Why that and not a weapon?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Barehanded thief is real good

Still haven’t beaten Thief yet. Also I guess we’re just going full spoilers on jobs now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually I haven't played Octopath Traveler yet; would people put that above or below BD2 strictly from a "Is like FF5" point of view

Octopath is more like 2, 4, and 6.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think the biggest knock against this game is that when you sit at the title screen for a while, nothing happens.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress.

Relatedly, are there any other JP grinding spots besides the Prologue beach in Chapter 2? Or is that still the best option?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good to know. I’ll keep an eye out for the chest and use the beach in the meantime.

Also, my review of Godspeed Strike is as such: clearly an endgame skill that’s only so powerful because you are intended(?) to unlock it late. Hence the MP cost. I’m not convinced that the game is designed around mastering jobs as soon as you get them, I think it’s all an accident.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Berserker has worse base defense and chance of being targeted than the Vanguard, is it really meant to be a tank at all?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No it’s meant to murder with efficiency. Being berserk even lowers defense.

I mean, it’s murder-y, but in a world with Godspeed Strike and Bare-Knuckle Brawler, there’s more effective choices out there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Its abilities and moves are pretty good, just the class itself is eh. Berserking is kinda pointless when you can use level 12 moves instead.

The job system and scaling is kinda weird this time, really. Level 12 moves kick profound amounts of rear end, e.g. Godspeed Strike and the Monk one, such that getting any of them early trivializes bosses. It feels very odd and I can’t put it into words.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which ice dungeon has the chest you can infinitely farm JP orbs from, and which chest?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, Gladys :swoon:

Edit: oh...Martha...:kimchi:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also god drat Godspeed Strike is just totally stupid. I can chump any boss by Braving 4x with Adelle and using the rest of the party to Ether and keep her alive for the next 4.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just got that scene in chapter 3. I take back everything bad I’ve ever said about this game, it was all worth it just for that. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

All of ch 3 is bonkers, you’re going to have to be more specific.

Fairy rescue made my gay little heart go :syoon:. Not gonna lie, Adelle and Martha look good together.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s been almost a decade since the 3DS released, though. We definitely should have gotten a little further than this...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished chapter 3. This game is back on my shitlist. :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's very fair! There are loads of things I think this game could've done better. It does feel like a budget release and yet it's the same price at launch as like... FF7 Remake and I can get how people would look at that and be like something is wrong here.

I think the "average" review being in the 70s is probably taking that all into account which I get. But to me, someone who has played FF5 and FF Tactics 3+ times each, any game where I can mix and match jobs and make fun combos is already pretty cool, and JRPGs that focus on combat are not widespread.

I think this is the kind of game that will be popular with a very specific group of JRPG fans, and JRPG fans are already a very specific group of people. I'm really enjoying it but I would not blindly recommend it even to friends who play lots of JRPGs

Oh no FF5 is my favorite Final Fantasy so I will always love the Job system, and I see BD as the direct successor to Type B FF. But outside of mechanics, this game isn’t on its predecessor’s level, or even on its direct prequels’ level. :(

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had a feeling this would happen...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had absolutely no idea the world bosses had steals. When I tried to steal from one, it says nothing to steal, or “only droppable items” or some poo poo. :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think this game has too many jobs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Question about one of the Chapter 4 jobs.

Godspeed Strike-wise, is Phantom just a straight upgrade to Thief, then? It has higher physical attack and identical speed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beastmaster is, apparently, working as intended.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why are these dungeons so goddamn big? There’s so much empty space and without anything to justify the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I’ve outgrown dungeons like these, cause I find them grueling and exhausting not so much because of difficulty, but because of sheer time and tedium. Then again, I’ve never seen a JRPG dungeon I liked.