Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask about this, there was a VOIP/POTS thread ages ago. The year is 2020 and Kotex needs a home VOIP setup (I think.) I'm taking care of my parents through the quarantine, my cell service Sucks rear end out here (and not in the hip millennial way) but we have pretty decent internet. I hear the Google Voice hardware adapters introduce a fair amount of lag. Is there a good, cheap, reliable VOIP service? All the ones I see online seem to be geared towards businesses ($$$). Even better if the hardware is compatible with a plain old corded phone. Alternately, I know my parents' house used to have two phone lines back in the early 2000s, would it be cheaper to just buy a second landline again? Probably not?

Ubiquiti VOIP phones are an android tablet with a handset attached to the body, you could use their native voip platform(which requires you to pay for talk minutes) OR install skype and/or telegram on the handsets and use that free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think I'm going to go with voip.ms as it seems a bit less gimmicky than Ooma and people have reported billing issues with Ooma. Thanks for the rec.

The next thing I need to look at is DECT phones. Grandstream looks cheap but people have reported some issues getting them to work right. Also, this is in a house with another DECT system on the POTS landline; will they interfere with each other?

Multiple dect basestations might work but it will degrade signal quality.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I've actually been buying voip phones and being a dork about that. Cisco phones are super, super cheap on eBay.

I do still want to find a DECT solution but they all seem to suck.

We solve this by buying a grandstream ht ata and a normal dect base unit, dect voip base stations tend to be overly complicated or just crap.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Yeah it's too bad, I might end up going this route. I kind of wanted something modern with, for instance, Bluetooth support.

Anyone know about Cisco Unified Communications Manager? I was going to buy an 8800 series phone for its fanciness, but apparently this piece of software is required to set it up.

Gigaset dect high end phones have bluetooth.

CUCM is rather complicated to set up and maintain in my personal experience, I would go for a ata or a phone that can be work stand alone and provisioned by asterisk/trixbox/freepbx/etc.

blindjoe posted:

I see, so you aren't wiring to the house network, just putting the converter right at the base unit.
does anyone wire to the house network? or is that just what the internet providers do when they give you home phone?

My isp is ftth so no phone lines at all, the sole phone link is just a rj11 patch cord from the ata to the dect phone base station.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 28, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I looked at these but the amazon reviews are pretty ugly.

Yeah, I've been using the CISCO SPA series, which can be configured through a webui. They work great even though they're pretty old and clunky. Haven't tested the bluetooth functionality yet but have a SPA525G coming for that.

Sipura phones (the spa lineup is not a Cisco item but a buyout) can be provisioned with a bit of tinkering from telnet/tftp

https://community.cisco.com/kxiwq67...04202010-ii.pdf

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Gigaset Pro ... good options

Gigaset VOIP provisioning has alwas been a pain in the rear end to the point we usually prefer to get a discrete ata(sipura or grandstream) and a normal gigaset dect than to run C450/C530IP units

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

Question for VOIP hardware:

I have a VOIP service that I'm fairly happy with. Cheap rates to Europe (my wife talks with family and friends in Europe for hours every week), free US & Canada, pretty good. My VOIP digital to analog (I think is called) adapter is a CISCO SPA112 device. To it I have a attached simple dumb phone base with wireless capabilities. It works, it's all I need really.

The problem is that every now and then the CISCO device loses the connection to the phone. It has a "phone" led on it that is normally light up green when the phone is connected, but sometimes the led turns off and the phone doesn't work anymore (no tone). Rebooting the adapter restores the phone system. I have updated the firmware on it to the latest version available from the product page, 1.4.1 (SR5).

I am not looking to change the service provider. Is this "Obihai OBi200" a better adapter? Is there a better one available? I just want it to work and not have me unplug-replug it in every 2-3 months. The less I gently caress around with it (other than the initial setup) the happier I am.

I use a grandstream ht802 and I am pretty happy with it, ask your voip provider support if they have issues with it and if they have a provision profile to simplify setup.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Why not just get a phone designed for VOIP, like the Cisco SPA series? They're cheap on eBay and I imagine there must be tons out there from offices closing right now.

This is why:

Volguus posted:

My VOIP digital to analog (I think is called) adapter is a CISCO SPA112 device. To it I have a attached simple dumb phone base with wireless capabilities. It works, it's all I need really.

The problem is that every now and then the CISCO device loses the connection to the phone. It has a "phone" led on it that is normally light up green when the phone is connected, but sometimes the led turns off and the phone doesn't work anymore (no tone). Rebooting the adapter restores the phone system. I have updated the firmware on it to the latest version available from the product page, 1.4.1 (SR5).

He already has a SPA device, which looks like it's crapping out the voip connection. Replacing with another SPA might not solve the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

https://www.voipmuch.com/

As long as I don't have to deal with support, they're fine. Never had to deal with support till now. I'm not a "people person" (to put it mildly), and never had to do support, but even I know that calling your customers morons to their face (even if true) is not really a good business approach.

Most ATA setup is loving voodoo magic and the stun issue is due to ISP fuckery(the grandstream is one of the few ata that have a decent ipv6 stack so eventually you might not have to do stun anymore), being in the tech shoes i would be filled with contempt too.

There is a provisioning system called tr069 which would negate all this mess, it's weird that the provider doesn't simply have you point the ata to their servers and autoprovision everything.