Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Token Female posted:

The first post that I quoted I still find to be scummy. I think you are trying to make early excuses for cases where you aren't truly trying to scum hunt. I think that my point about you ignoring things and posting about food only is not really valid anymore.

The scumhunting that I've even done in this game on day 1 is probably the most scumhunting I've done in a game in a long time. It's not an excuse. It's just me. :shrug: if you think that makes me scummy it's okay to be incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The biggest thing that irks me about xopods is every opinion he's had is safe, and he's playing the amicable good guy. He's not really pushing deep or being inquisitive, and - at least for me - where others have said "I know which spice role <x> is but I won't say because scum could get it" he's opted to deny all information beyond "Gee golly gosh scum would love this spice."

So I'm on yuming's side about xopods being scummy and totally valid.

I'd really prefer merk and xopods in that order.

yuming posted:

Any chicken broth tips? I'm gonna make chicken noodle soup with a whole chicken probably next week.
If you're doing the broth from scratch, start saving all your fruit and veggie odds and ends in a freezer bag. Onion peels? Check. Potato skins? Sure. Bits and pieces of peppers? Great. Apple peels? Sure. (Though a word of caution: don't have more sweet fruity bits than veggie bits or your broth will be sweet).

Then, when you're gonna make the broth, take your chicken carcass, toss it into a roasting pan and hit that sucker with a heat of 450, and let it ride until the bones look really.

If you've got time on your hands, toss all your veggie stuff in a crock pot on high, with 12-16 cups of water (depending on what yours fits), and toss in the bones after snapping them first. All that delicious marrow is on the inside, make it easy to get out. Be sure to scrape your roasting pan for all the tasties at the bottom. Let it simmer on high in the crockpot for a good 12-24 hours.

If you don't have all that time, you can opt instead for a big ol' stockpot. More or less the same steps - though you can feel free to add more water if you'd like. Boil it all on high for a good 8 hours - reducing to the strength you'd like.

Be sure to put in some salt and pepper, as well.

I make one of these broths pretty much weekly, and it's always got a slightly different - but great - taste based on what you've been cooking. This week, for example, I've got lots of exterior cabbage leaf and pork bone from some stuff. It'll be great.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CapitalistPig posted:

The scumhunting that I've even done in this game on day 1 is probably the most scumhunting I've done in a game in a long time. It's not an excuse. It's just me. :shrug: if you think that makes me scummy it's okay to be incorrect.

Someone saying on day 1 in a thread talking down about themselves, (like how they are always bad at finding scum or bad at making cases, or something similar) always makes me leery . It's something I always look for as a scumtell.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Moving to Sal to prevent no lunch with 20 minutes left. I am still on and also like the merk vote. If xopods gets in lunching range, I will consider him.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

##vote Sal

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sorry I was away for a bit, looks like it will be Sal but I'm around if needed

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm here. Why are people talking about voting me?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Token Female posted:

Someone saying on day 1 in a thread talking down about themselves, (like how they are always bad at finding scum or bad at making cases, or something similar) always makes me leery . It's something I always look for as a scumtell.

I openly admitted for years that I am bad at mafia and lazy. It's kind of my thing.

Not just on day 1 either.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
OMG thank you Mikujin those are great suggestions that are a step past what I was trying to do last time, which was to brown the chicken bits in a dutch oven over the stove.

That is -1.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

xopods posted:

https://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/885292

I was pretty clear Xopods.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CapitalistPig posted:

I openly admitted for years that I am bad at mafia and lazy. It's kind of my thing.

Not just on day 1 either.

It's people saying that kind of phrasing on day 1 specifically is what I look for. Someone trying to set the tone for lowered expectations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry i was away so long. got busy near deadline

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Token Female posted:

It's people saying that kind of phrasing on day 1 specifically is what I look for. Someone trying to set the tone for lowered expectations.

Lowered expectations is the Cpig theme song.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Anyway I don't think there's going to be any swings away from sal magically in the next 12ish minutes but I'll hammer in a bit just to give people time if they want to present anything else.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
I don't think anything else is possible so...

##vote Sal

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

xopods posted:

Because the best way to describe your play so far is "safe and boring, if friendly" and that's exactly the line scum want to dance on because they seem helpful without being helpful but they're SO NICE so why would we lynch them?

yuming posted:

OMG thank you Mikujin those are great suggestions that are a step past what I was trying to do last time, which was to brown the chicken bits in a dutch oven over the stove.

That is -1.

Yea, honestly, it's a great thing to do and you can make broth weekly (or bi-weekly) doing it. My wife really enjoys making soups, so having homemade broth on hand to replace or supplement store-bought is great. I gotta say, I really enjoy it when I've got bell pepper cores/seeds in it, too, 'cause it adds this nice subtle spiciness to whatever you're making with it that's just fantastic.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

:redhammer:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

SalTheBard (7): Dick Bastardly, Dick Bastardly, Mr. Steak, xopods, CapitalistPig, Hal Incandenza, SalTheBard, CapitalistPig, Amnistar, Leith Maclaine, Token Female
Amnistar (1): CapitalistPig, Ernie., SalTheBard, Ernie., CapitalistPig, SalTheBard, CapitalistPig
Mr. Steak (1): Ernie.
CapitalistPig (1): Amnistar, merk, Token Female, Amnistar, Token Female
merk (1): Mikujin, yuming, yuming, Mikujin, Mikujin, Leith Maclaine, Leith Maclaine
xopods (1): yuming, Amnistar, Amnistar
Ernie. (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, xopods, xopods, Dick Bastardly, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Dick Bastardly
Hal Incandenza (0): Dick Bastardly, Dick Bastardly
Mikujin (0): Leith Maclaine, Leith Maclaine
yuming (0): xopods, Mr. Steak, Ernie., Mr. Steak, Ernie., xopods
Dick Bastardly (0): Ernie., Ernie.

Not Voting (1): Dick Bastardly

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 04th, 2020 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

SalTheBard Town-Aligned 3 ingredient crescent roll bites has been Lynched D1.

It is now Night 1. Please get all night actions into me within 24 hours through discord. You may continue to post in the thread throughout the night but keep your conversations cooking related.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
:ghost: Go scum. :ghost:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

SalTheBard's 3 Ingredient Crescent Roll Bites

INGREDIENTS:
16-oz sausage cooked and crumbled
8-oz cream cheese softened
2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Mix sausage and cream cheese together.
Separate rolls into triangles. Cut eat triangle in half lengthwise. Scoop a heaping tablespoon onto each roll and roll up.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

This recipe is worth 20 points.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

The pie was delicious!

The crust turned out better than I expected, I wasn't optimistic since it seemed kinda sticky. I don't know what good pie dough is supposed to actually look like while you're making it.

PS, my bird Ketchup says his name in sets of two like: "KETCHUP KETCHUP!"

He just did this for about 10 minutes because he wanted to go to bed. :sparkles:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sal I will make crescent rolls tomorrow in honor of you

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

CapitalistPig posted:

Like, how is anyone looking at the way Amni is posting and not getting scum off of this?

I kinda did early on, I'm gonna read again to see if I can find the pingy post

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
oh crap :redhammer: sorry :sweatdrop:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Grandicap posted:

SalTheBard's 3 Ingredient Crescent Roll Bites

INGREDIENTS:
16-oz sausage cooked and crumbled
8-oz cream cheese softened
2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Mix sausage and cream cheese together.
Separate rolls into triangles. Cut eat triangle in half lengthwise. Scoop a heaping tablespoon onto each roll and roll up.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

This recipe is worth 20 points.

As these are made in the oven, do they qualify for the flash sale as well?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
:ghost: I hope you all choke! You don't deserve to eat my delicious 3 ingredient crescent rolls! :ghost:

Last post! Have fun everyone!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BROTH CHAT

Forgot to mention, yuming, when you are done with making your broth, if you are not doing something with it immediately do one of two things:
  • Let it cool naturally, then refrigerate. Use within 24-48. If the broth becomes vaguely gelatinous once it cools, don't fret! This actually means you got a wonderful amount of collagen/gelatin extracted from your bones (probably won't pop up with chicken carcass, but if you use a bunch of beef/pork bones it might!)
  • Prepare some jars to storage by warming them in water. Then, quickly bring your broth to a sustained rolling boil for 10 minutes (this kills bad bacteria that can cause long-term storage issues), then ladle equal parts into sealing jars, put on lids. As the broth cools, the air in the jar contracts and helps naturally seal. Use this broth within 2 weeks.
  • Pressure can your broth. You probably won't have to do this unless you make an ungodly large amount of broth. But, if you do, it will keep for ~18 months.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Do pancakes count as baking??

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Dick Bastardly posted:

Depends on whether you bake them or not I guess.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Dick Bastardly posted:

Pancakes are normally on a griddle.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Leith Maclaine posted:

Pancakes are normally on a griddle.

yeah but.... they're baking on there right? Frying??

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I baked pretzels.
You can make pretzels out of basically any yeasted bread dough. Mine used 22 oz Flour, 2 tbsp butter, 1.5 tsp salt, 1.5 cups water, 1 tbsp honey and 1 packet yeast, but any bread dough should work.. Feed your yeast by adding it to the warm water and honey for 5-10 minutes, or until it foams, then mix in the flour, melted butter and salt. I used a stand mixer, but you can do it by hand. Let it come together in a nice elastic ball. Let rise in an oiled bowl covered with a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. It should roughly double in size. Divide into 12ths and then form into pretzel shapes.
Then comes the fun part, what you do is take a big pot full of water and make it basic by adding baking soda about half a cup of baking soda to 9 cups water. Then bring it to a simmer. And have your dough take a bath for like 30 seconds. If you do longer, they can taste metallic, but that alkali reaction is what gives you the pretzel flavor. Put them pretzels on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, giving them room to rise. Do an egg wash and put some salt on there and bake it as normal. Which for me was 15 minutes @ 450F.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Dick Bastardly posted:

yeah but.... they're baking on there right? Frying??

I don't think I'll allow it unless you can make a hell of an argument.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
fair

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I made a yummy meal last night!

First the bread, very basic, and also my first time making bread. A simple baguette a la Xopods.

I have no mixer so I blended it all by hand and it was pretty... lumpy... which I was worried about

Went out for a nice mountain hike for a couple hours while the bread rose

Came back to a nice rise and made some loafs and popped them in the oven

And out came some surprisingly decent bread. Why haven't I been making bread?

After that it was time to whip up some Grandicap Carbonara. The only sort of appropriate meat I had on hand was some Salt Pork, fatty and salty but also yummy. I used asparagus and some Taco Bell mixed cheese because, you know, that is what I had

Plenty of fat for the asparagus to cook in!

And it all came out realllllly good, solid recipe Grandi! The bread was still nice and hot too...

I would like to do bif's recipe next, just need to track down a LOT of ingredients for that

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

And out came some surprisingly decent bread. Why haven't I been making bread?

I went through a bread-making phase last year and then stopped. Now I've started again and am wondering why I stopped.

The only hard thing about it is that you have to think ahead, which can be tricky if you're like me and used to only thinking about a meal either when you're going grocery shopping or else right before you start cooking. Some nice recipes require overnight rising, for instance...

But almost all kinds of bread are dirt cheap to make, and most of the time involved is unattended. Lotta recipes you can leave to rise overnight. Or you can use a larger amount of yeast and get it to rise in an hour or two. Either way, the actual time you have to spend working on it is pretty low.

Prior to the baguettes, I made two loaves using this recipe which is quite good: https://happymoneysaver.com/homemade-honey-oat-bread-recipe/

I also saw on Twitter a thread about the supposed yeast shortage and how you can easily harvest your own yeast from any natural environment. So I'm going to try that as a science project with my son and bake some bread from weird random backyard yeast next weekend and report back if we don't all die.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

xopods posted:

I also saw on Twitter a thread about the supposed yeast shortage and how you can easily harvest your own yeast from any natural environment. So I'm going to try that as a science project with my son and bake some bread from weird random backyard yeast next weekend and report back if we don't all die.
I am down to 1 packet of yeast, I might have to give that a shot.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ooh that's interesting. I was worried about yeast but there was tons at the store so now I have five more packets

Might have to make those pretzels to go with the crescent rolls bites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Grandicap posted:

I am down to 1 packet of yeast, I might have to give that a shot.

Dunno if you read the things about it, as there are a lot of different variations, but it seems the basic idea is:

You put a bowl of flour and water and maybe a bit of sugar outside covered with something that would let microbes in but keep bugs and leaves and stuff out.

Leave it somewhere "biologically interesting," i.e. under a tree, amidst a bunch of plants, whatever. Or cheat by putting dried fruit or fruit peels in your liquid.

Take it inside and leave it somewhere warm.

At first you will have bad stuff and good stuff in there. You want to make your yeast fight the other stuff to the death. So, each day, pour off any stinky bacterial liquids forming on the surface, then discard half your mixture and add more flour and water and let it keep growing.

Once it smells clean and yeasty rather than stinky and bacterial, go another couple of days and after that you should be able to make bread from it without killing yourself.